Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cry harder about Biden, you stupid Limeys.
I'm fuckin floored at how quickly every conservative british rag rolled out 100+ year old Irish racism the second they had the opportunity. Not surprised, but still stunned. The hate never went away.

Poor plucky little Walmart, just trying to stay afloat.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Okay I'm going to admit I'm dumb. I know this is a reference to those old WW2 posters but other than that what is this about? Is this just a generic "Woo go Ukraine" cartoon or what?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay I'm going to admit I'm dumb. I know this is a reference to those old WW2 posters but other than that what is this about? Is this just a generic "Woo go Ukraine" cartoon or what?
I'm assuming if it's the Salt Lake Tribune it's floods in Utah.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Vib Rib posted:

Poor plucky little Walmart, just trying to stay afloat.

Well obviously they're struggling financially - have you seen how little they can afford to pay their workers?

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

This is peak PC.

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Cry harder about Biden, you stupid Limeys.

OK
https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1647155409009115139

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chris Britt

John Deering

Steve Benson

Steve Breen

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

Okay, we've got the glowing spirit energy flying around and the melting face (just look at that loving ear), but that's a pretty poor drawing of the Ark of the Covenant.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Maybe Moses was a pirate.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

I never "got" New Yorker cartoons

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leunig used to express his opinions about modern motherhood and vaccinations and that's why he doesn't have the Monday political slot in the paper anymore.

It's never enough to drop him completely though.
I hunted around for a few minutes searching for a good dissection of what the gently caress was wrong with this guy and found this, which I presume doesn't contain any new information to anyone unfortunate enough to know Leunig's name already but was very enlightening for me.

Leunig, Wellness, and Wokeness posted:

These cartoons displace the crisis of war and refocus attention on the crisis of the self. The self, the real subject of Leunig’s cartoons, is forced into a foetal position through the contemplation of the horrors of modern life. This crisis of the self is solved in Leunig’s cartoons, a least momentarily, by mindfully contemplating a bee or sitting on a hilltop—what the wellness industry refers to as a moment of self-care (or a bit of time-out in nature with a cup of tea). ‘With the world in such a horrible crazy mess, how do we keep going?’ asks one of Leunig’s characters in a recent cartoon. ‘I don’t GO. I just BE,’ says the duck (who is clearly familiar with Pete Evans’s Heal: 101 Simple Ways to Improve Your Health in a Modern World). ‘I just let it all go,’ says the dog. The songbird suggests listening to music or flying away. This is the Platonic ideal of a Leunig cartoon: melancholic pseudo-profundity spoken by companion animals.

The affective palette of Leunig’s cartoons and poems—acknowledging the sadness and confusion of modern life and offering a duck or a bee or a homily about love in return—perfectly suits the modus operandi of the wellness industry. That industry, as Mathias Nilges argues, presents

a softcore, largely gestural critique of capitalism’s tendency to take hold of all parts of our existence, of all of our time. But instead of continuing down this road and aiming for a systemic critique of the conditions under which we live and work (and under which the former increasingly becomes a matter of the latter), wellness … depart[s] from what is ultimately a social and structural matter and turns it into a matter of individual responsibility and strategy.
[...]
Because Leunig idealises maternal love, it’s not surprising that he has spent the last few decades policing the behaviour of young women. Women in his cartoons are either too woke to be in touch with their natural sensuality (there’s a fearsome harridan in one recent cartoon who’s branding a man’s bum with an M for Misogynist), or they’re too feminist, consumerist, or tertiary-educated to be motherly. Leunig’s men are granted the ability to escape and wander over the horizon, while women having any sort of life are abandoning their familial responsibilities (a lonely baby in one of his infamous cartoons says ‘I’m a stay-at-creche baby so she doesn’t have to be a stay-at-home mum’). In his essay ‘The Ties That Bind’, Leunig even salutes the Updikian heroes who ‘revolt’ against the ‘oppression’ and ‘emotional enslavement’ of marriage through adultery; and yet (surprise!) this roguish flouting of convention is not suitable for women, whose job is to maintain eye contact with their children at all times. The freely self-realised individual in Leunig’s work is always a man.
[...]
Partly, this is connected to what we have to assume is a sincerely held belief that he’s still a scrappy working-class kid, never fully accepted by the cultural elite. On ABC Radio National’s The Book Show, Leunig spoke of his ‘inner Holden Caulfield’, the boy-hero of Salinger’s Catcher in the Rye, all alone in a society of ‘phoneys’ who push their way to the top. Likewise, talking to Evans, Leunig said that the media industry he navigates ‘is very sort of racy, and tough, and clever … I’m not like that, I feel like I’m a child in a very tough environment’.

But while Leunig believes he’s Puck, the holy fool, he’s actually Oberon, the king of the forest. He’s a rich, white, heterosexual cis man, and a cultural behemoth, whereas his imagined ‘woke’ enemies often belong to historically excluded groups, and are often precariously employed in a shrinking media industry that rarely offers its staff the luxurious platform that Leunig has enjoyed since the 1980s.
[...]
This is how a counter-cultural boomer politics founded on lonely men fleeing faceless corporate oppressors has been rewired, over just a few years, into a reactionary politics of male victimhood.

For Leunig and for those in the wellness mindset, suffering is intimate and private. It’s a burden that the individual bears and that the individual must solve through positive lifestyle change. It’s not a structural phenomenon that groups of oppressed or exploited people can solve together through political action. Leunig, along with those that decry so-called wokeness and cancel culture, also asserts that individuals are constantly menaced by the madness of collectives, online and in real life. Leunig’s opinion columns on this topic lump together collectives of all kinds: armies and empires, street protests and social media. It doesn’t matter if they’re fighting or upholding the status quo—all collectives wield repressive power. ‘Whatever the aim or cause a group may have,’ he writes, ‘be it about social justice, environmental protection, marriage equality or women’s rights, there is always the possibility of an aggressive darkness developing in the chemistry of togetherness.’

Leunig’s embattled individualism relies on a sleight of hand: that he doesn’t belong to any party or identity group. Male privilege doesn’t exist, he argues in a 2017 essay: aren’t we all just humans? And there, in that argument, he betrays his privilege. As a white man, he’s never needed collective action to fight for his own status as human, to fight for basic rights and dignities. He’s had the luxury of getting by on his own—to be the kind of rambling loner he draws again and again for his new followers on Instagram.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Drakyn posted:

I hunted around for a few minutes searching for a good dissection of what the gently caress was wrong with this guy and found this, which I presume doesn't contain any new information to anyone unfortunate enough to know Leunig's name already but was very enlightening for me.

jesus yeah what an rear end in a top hat

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Drakyn posted:

Who on earth cares enough about Leunig to write all that?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Aren’t like the the captions of New Yorker cartoons crowd sourced by people submitting them which is why they’re always esoteric?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Angepain posted:

jesus yeah what an rear end in a top hat

What the hell is this?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Aren’t like the the captions of New Yorker cartoons crowd sourced by people submitting them which is why they’re always esoteric?

I thought they were all captioned "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Electric Phantasm posted:

What the hell is this?

Someone's not familiar with Pete Evans’s Heal: 101 Simple Ways to Improve Your Health in a Modern World and the concept of self-care. :smug:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Electric Phantasm posted:

What the hell is this?

This was his cartoon after the 2017 australian referendum on gay marriage approved making it legal

now I'm aware this doesn't fully answer your question as to what the gently caress this man is up to and what his loving deal is but there are some mysteries man will never truly comprehend

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Please, no meat touching ma'am

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Steve Barclay and the nurses’ dispute – Nurses in England are to continue their strikes after voting to reject the health secretary’s latest pay deal"

Telegraph:

Rishi Sunak says no women have a penis and pledges to protect single-sex spaces; Keir Starmer says '99.9pc of women don't have a penis'; Grand National 2023 live: results and latest updates from Aintree as Corach Rambler wins
https://twitter.com/DaveyCartoons/status/1646916788146302984

Independent:

After Arthur C Michael.

The i paper:

Times:

Water companies argued against key pollution target

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why are British cartoonists so drat obsessed with feces?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Primary export

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

It's about 3% of all the rivers and streams.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They go to the beach for inspiration.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Stranded by Cai Meng presumably(who is the most often uncredited member)

Le Monde

Democracy for Dummies by Micaël for Siné mensuel N° 128

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
One of Leunig's greatest crimes is that his lazy horseshit is better-known that the vastly superior work of his sister Mary.

Phone posting, so I can't post the cartoon she did of shooting him the rear end and his guts coming out in the shape of dollar signs, but it's on there.

EDIT - Warning: Very frank depictions of childhood sexual abuse :nms: :nws:

After The War fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 15, 2023

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!

After The War posted:

One of Leunig's greatest crimes is that his lazy horseshit is better-known that the vastly superior work of his sister Mary.

Phone posting, so I can't post the cartoon she did of shooting him the rear end and his guts coming out in the shape of dollar signs, but it's on there.

I sure wish I didn't click this link. Thanks for not warning us what was behind it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking how brutal that was for a landing page.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Here's the cartoon she did of shooting him the rear end and his guts coming out in the shape of dollar signs, if people want to jump straight to that.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

A rare glimpse of the Bennett we used to know.

Kellies nomination: Best overall

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

this us so much worse with context:

Steadiman posted:

Yup. I swear I thought I must be missing something but here it is...
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1647273891117826050
That's it, that's literally all it is. Nothing more.
i thought that was just a random person but bok 100% knows the context and is still pushing the narrative

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

After The War posted:

EDIT - Warning: Very frank depictions of childhood sexual abuse :nms: :nws:
Hey do you know if this landing page someone's story, or a commentary? Or is this autobiographical?
Because if this is her own story then that would make the abuser in this Leunig himself.

E: Jesus Christ, this will come off as gushing, but I'm browsing the various galleries and there's so much frank and raw emotion in these drawings. I've felt so jaded looking at political cartoons and soulless "soulful" art for so long I didn't think I could still be hit so hard. What this poor woman's gone through in her life, all the strengths and triumphs and sorrows and tragedies, I can't even begin to comprehend. A world of pain and love is packed into these. I eventually had to stop, they hit me in such a raw place. God drat, what a master of her craft, and so much to say.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 15, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I really need someone to clarify if Leunig sexually abused his sister or if that was a third sibling.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

According to Wikipedia, Mary has one brother, so yeah.

Honestly him being a particularly creepy sex criminal is not in the least bit surprising.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The Wikipedia article on Mike Leunig says,

quote:

A film documentary about his life by Kasimir Burgess, The Leunig Fragments, was released in 2020 and reveals various difficulties that Leunig has experienced with family relationships.[23] He did not attend his parents' funerals[24] and is not in regular contact with his siblings.

And googling for a little bit more info, a review in The Guardian says,

quote:

The first major indication of the film’s limitations occurs when Leunig reminisces about the deaths of his mother and father, reflecting that despite loving them both deeply he didn’t attend either of their funerals.

Why? The subject is evasive and speaks in tantalisingly vague terms, clearly reluctant to explore emotional wounds.

So I'm going to go ahead and say those Mary Leunig comics are definitely autobiographical.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Here’s an article about Mary - https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2019/oct/24/michael-leunigs-artist-sister-returns-fire-over-cartoon-of-young-mother-on-phone and the shooting-her-brother cartoon, which was in response to the lovely one Mike Leunig did about mothers so focused on instagram that they were neglecting their babies.

The article quotes her saying that the cartoon was done in fun as a tweak at him, not in anger, which feels off if he sexually abused her, but also she might not have wanted to bring it up or the paper might have dropped anything that made His Perfect Little Cartoonist look like the massive piece of poo poo he was. The drawing of the abuse has a guy who doesn’t look dissimilar to Mike Leunig, though, and I have no real reason to doubt that massive self-absorbed weirdo anti-vax misogynist Mike Leunig sexually abused his sister, so I don’t have a clear answer but gently caress him anyways.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This interview from 2016 has her discussing various periods of strife with her family and a situation involving "all her siblings" and how she stopped speaking to "some of her family, including her parents" in the 1970s.

It goes on to indicate that she's had issues with Michael too, but that they've clearly been in contact more recently than 40+ years ago, so all evidence points to a) there being more than one Leunig brother and b) the one who sexually abused her not being Michael.

None of which makes his comics good, but he is (in this specific case, it would seem) not a sex criminal.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

"Mr Gardiner, the director of the Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom at US right-wing think tank The Heritage Foundation, contrasted President Biden’s four-day trip to Ireland with his refusal to attend the coronation of King Charles III."

lol

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

David M. Hitch

Mike Peters

Adam Zyglis

David Horsey

Adbot