Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Flood insurance is hosed. There's a bunch of lobbying and interests to keep people rebuilding over and over.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Build-flood-rebuild-flood-insurance-s-12413056.php

Just live in a non-operational land based oil rig like structure. Should be able to weather any storms.

Or build a house made of ice cream sticks, never live in it and just collect insurance cheques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Build a dome over your house and live underwater as necessary.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Build a dome over your house and live underwater as necessary.

Now that's innovation.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I know I posted about it post-Harvey, but they let developers build houses inside a flood control reservoir and then sold them to people who didn't realize it, so when the rains came these peoples houses were upstream of the dam and flooded as designed by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Anyway, they're going to get a huge payday, I guess when the government builds a levee and then you build a house after on the wrong side of it, that's "government induced flooding".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barker_Reservoir

quote:

Total compensation for the ~10,000 upstream property owners who suffered government-induced flooding could reach or exceed $1.7 billion before interest.

drat government.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I know I posted about it post-Harvey, but they let developers build houses inside a flood control reservoir and then sold them to people who didn't realize it, so when the rains came these peoples houses were upstream of the dam and flooded as designed by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Anyway, they're going to get a huge payday, I guess when the government builds a levee and then you build a house after on the wrong side of it, that's "government induced flooding".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barker_Reservoir

drat government.

Background: these reservoirs sit on the west side of Houston and are V shaped flood plains where the point of the V discharges into the city and out to sea and the upper part of the V backs up into suburbs. Developers literally sued the corps of engineers to be able to build housing inside the V. People that bought the houses had no idea they were inside a dam - you would have no idea just driving around.

One of the great parts about this is that post Harvey the more affluent suburb counties sued the corps of engineers for not opening the dams earlier and instead flooding houses. Opening the dams literally sends a wall of water into downtown poorer areas and I think did end up killing people. They had to open them anyway after they filled up to the point it was risking overtopping the berms.

The counties downstream also sued arguing they should have let the reservoirs continue to fill instead of intentionally opening them and you know, killing people.

The affluent counties won their suit and those folks are looking at recovering funds. The poor areas had their suit dismissed.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

One of these days the idiot trumpists are going to have enough leverage to do something really, really stupid and the debt ceiling looks like the lowest hanging fruit.
Exactly. Here likely not ideal asking place but I'm curious who agrees with my take on debt ceiling. I'd guess lot of people around here think inflating out of the deficit with progressive programs as way to undermine the rich while protecting the poor is superior to austerity as debt solution. Personally I prefer more a balance between inflation, taxing the rich and austerity.

I'm a moderate Democrat overall and I'm open to a lot of moderate Democrat Jared Golden's debt ceiling proposals, except he doesn’t propose defusing the nuclear hand grenade of the debt ceiling as a condition of the deal. Which is critical because even if Biden somehow conceded to balancing the budget entirely through mass austerity, interest payments on the debt would eventually necessitate a further debt ceiling increase, which an increasingly radicalized GOP will threaten to blow up to demand concessions, risking the eventuality they go too far and do blow it up. Logic same as Obama era – there’s no ‘reasonable compromise’ because if GOP keeps weapon they will pocket concessions, move goalposts then demand more. Serious deal must take weapon away.

It's my understanding no other advanced economy has our nuclear hand grenade style debt ceiling where the entire debt is de facto defaulted on if the legislature fails to raise it. Some others had similar system in past, but they all changed it because nobody else is so stupid. It doesn’t even make sense as a way to force spending discipline because other advanced economies that did balance their budgets did so without a nuclear hand grenade debt ceiling threat.

A more sane debt ceiling when breached could stop further federal spending that would require new debt issuance, a bit like a government shutdown. Or just reform it so congressional appropriations also require a commensurate debt ceiling increase. But maintaining status quo is indefensible moronic baby boomer centrist bullshit. It doesn’t work to cause austerity anyways.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Twerk from Home posted:

Flood insurance is hosed. There's a bunch of lobbying and interests to keep people rebuilding over and over.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Build-flood-rebuild-flood-insurance-s-12413056.php

It's so loving cool that we set up a program to pay people to live in flood areas. Literally the wisest idea in history

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Spaced God posted:

It's so loving cool that we set up a program to pay people to live in flood areas. Literally the wisest idea in history

The answer to hbomberguy's "sell the houses to who?!?!?!" question is going to be "the US government"

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Eregos posted:

. Personally I prefer more a balance between inflation, taxing the rich and austerity.

I'm a moderate Democrat overall and I'm open to a lot of moderate Democrat Jared Golden's debt ceiling proposals, except he doesn’t propose defusing the nuclear hand grenade of the debt ceiling as a condition of the deal. Which is critical because even if Biden somehow conceded to balancing the budget entirely through mass austerity, interest payments on the debt would eventually necessitate a further debt ceiling increase, which an increasingly radicalized GOP will threaten to blow up to demand concessions, risking the eventuality they go too far and do blow it up. Logic same as Obama era – there’s no ‘reasonable compromise’ because if GOP keeps weapon they will pocket concessions, move goalposts then demand more. Serious deal must take weapon away.

Biden and the democrats want to defund social services same as Republicans and use the debt fight as cover to show their hands are tied and had to negotiate. The hand grenade exists for that purpose by design, not by accident. It’s all theater.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Orvin posted:

Not just any old commercial. A curated collection of vintage commercials. Back when they had art direction and …

I went and actually took a look at some old commercials, just to see how they had changed, and wow, ad people have gotten kinda lazy. No more little 20-30 second stories to sell the product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4TABizwO4

Guessing it’s an efficiency thing. Since advertising is kinda hard to show if it works, better to poo poo out a bunch of mediocre ads on the cheap and pocket the rest of the customer’s money.

I feel sorry for the hairdressers who were put out of work after Big Hair and Perms for Men were no longer au courant.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

is pepsi ok posted:

This is a very common problem here. A lot of people assume their homeowners insurance covers flooding but it's a separate policy you have to get. These stories pop up every time there's a hurricane.

It's pretty stupid for the bank to loan money without stipulating you must have flood insurance.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

It's pretty stupid for the bank to loan money without stipulating you must have flood insurance.

Not when you repackage them into bespoke Mortgage-Backed Securities! *taps haed*

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Eregos posted:

Exactly. Here likely not ideal asking place but I'm curious who agrees with my take on debt ceiling. I'd guess lot of people around here think inflating out of the deficit with progressive programs as way to undermine the rich while protecting the poor is superior to austerity as debt solution. Personally I prefer more a balance between inflation, taxing the rich and austerity.

It's my understanding no other advanced economy has our nuclear hand grenade style debt ceiling where the entire debt is de facto defaulted on if the legislature fails to raise it. Some others had similar system in past, but they all changed it because nobody else is so stupid. It doesn’t even make sense as a way to force spending discipline because other advanced economies that did balance their budgets did so without a nuclear hand grenade debt ceiling threat.

A more sane debt ceiling when breached could stop further federal spending that would require new debt issuance, a bit like a government shutdown. Or just reform it so congressional appropriations also require a commensurate debt ceiling increase. But maintaining status quo is indefensible moronic baby boomer centrist bullshit. It doesn’t work to cause austerity anyways.

loving libs

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that, and on an individual plot basis, some math between risk of flood, chance owner walks away, and future development potential probably all combine to make it profitable. add in the chance a flood is considered a federal disaster area and you're bailed out anyway

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Horseshoe theory posted:

Not when you repackage them into bespoke Mortgage-Backed Securities! *taps haed*

Yeah the bank owns the mortgage for about 10 seconds, if the flood is unlucky enough to hit during that time, then the lobbyists come out.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/WaitingOnBiden/status/1646533790724915204

best we can do about all this child labor is write an angry letter

Reminds me of an old Colbert Report segment on Child Labor which I couldn't find, but I did find https://www.santiagohs.org/apps/video/watch.jsp?v=25095 and
https://www.cc.com/video/xr7q4y/the-colbert-report-fallback-position-migrant-worker-pt-1 which is even better.

The one I was looking for had Colbert saying something like 'How can we outlaw child farm labor when their small, soft delicate hands are so perfect for picking ripe fruit?' which I always thought was such a hilarious way to covertly argue against child labor.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

caelxii posted:

Biden and the democrats want to defund social services same as Republicans and use the debt fight as cover to show their hands are tied and had to negotiate. The hand grenade exists for that purpose by design, not by accident. It’s all theater.

I disagree, I think that's overly cynical. If all Biden wants to do is cut services and social investment, why did the Democrats pass so much lower income and middle class aid in the American Rescue Plan and Inflation Reduction Act? Yes, those had a lot of compromises in order to pass. Fundamentally I tend to take people closer to their word in politics. The centrists who defend the status quo on the debt ceiling have some delusion or at least lack of prioritization that prevents them realizing how risky it is. If you talk to the voters who think this way, they will tell you things along these lines.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Eregos posted:

What does this mean?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

because those voters are conditioned to believe the "truth is in the middle, we have to compromise," etc. etc.

the world we live in is built. it's all decisions. we can eliminate the debt ceiling and give everyone what they need with a pen. you have abundant evidence of this.

people don't get what they really need. they get excuses and delays and tiny improvements sold to them as the best result of bargaining with "the other guys," when all lawmakers know each other and they're buddies and safe and comfortable

i have no idea what you think you're doing trying to argue this around here

Eregos posted:

Fundamentally I tend to take people closer to their word in politics.
had to check if i was in the right forum lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Eregos posted:

I disagree, I think that's overly cynical. If all Biden wants to do is cut services and social investment, why did the Democrats pass so much lower income and middle class aid in the American Rescue Plan and Inflation Reduction Act? Yes, those had a lot of compromises in order to pass. Fundamentally I tend to take people closer to their word in politics. The centrists who defend the status quo on the debt ceiling have some delusion or at least lack of prioritization that prevents them realizing how risky it is. If you talk to the voters who think this way, they will tell you things along these lines.

I want to respond to your post but you're going to have to clarify which aid you're talking about here, because the vast majority of it came in the form of subsidies that are absolutely an attempt reduce direct government services and minimize government responsibility for critical social goods such as healthcare.

poo poo like that isn't a compromise, it's fundamental to conservative Democratic ideology

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am for massive cuts and austerity and for the yields of American bonds to skyrocket.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eregos posted:

Fundamentally I tend to take people closer to their word in politics

why tho politicians lie all the time lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
we can fix them

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

"well you see i, a willing rube, find the Middle Path to be most appealing,"

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
seems to be much cheaper to order individual sandwiches and split a large fries, drink soda at home from Mcdonalds now, I mean it always was but now its pretty significant savings

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What does this mean?

The system must contain suffering.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

As a moderate banana republic supporter we must inflate our posts to further a progressive cause

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Eregos posted:

lol

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

i'm more of a severe democrat myself

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

i genuinely cannot comprehend a moderate democrat positng in cspam

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Eregos posted:

are you lost or

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I had severe Democrat and they put me on SSRIs

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

what the hell is a moderate democrat anyway

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

HallelujahLee posted:

what the hell is a moderate democrat anyway

you wait for the polling numbers before ascribing to means tested racism

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

you wait for the polling numbers before ascribing to means tested racism

going to start means testing all our posts

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Eregos unironically like you're right in that in a perfect world a lot of what you're saying would be correct and would happen. That probably looks like something I would have wrote like a decade ago.

The problem is we are fully decoupled from sanity and reality and the people in control actively want to hurt people and know they will only be enriched instead of punished for doing so

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Spaced God posted:

i genuinely cannot comprehend a moderate democrat positng in cspam

He's fourteen years too late to troll lf

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I am an extreme centrist democrat, and oppose all action of any kind, as it merely chains us to the cycle of samsara

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Old Story posted:

I am an extreme centrist democrat, and oppose all action of any kind, as it merely chains us to the cycle of samsara

I endorse this message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

btw this made me start the process of wiping my old pc to turn it into a plex server thank you goonfriend