Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
I like this version of weekend content, we should sponsor more foreign exchange posters when number is sleeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

CSPAM foreign exchange posting program, we have to switch regular threads with people and then write a trip report

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Spaced God posted:

i genuinely cannot comprehend a moderate democrat positng in cspam

we need more of them

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/mhodson520/status/1647300725578366980

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i ordered a book from france in like February and it still hasnt arrived im officially ok with raising the french retirement age now

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

what the hell is a moderate democrat anyway

A republican who still wants to be invited to their gay friends' parties.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HallelujahLee posted:

A milquetoast :decorum: idiot.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i ordered a book from france in like February and it still hasnt arrived im officially ok with raising the french retirement age now

it's going to take even longer to get your books once 63 yr olds have to continue working in the shipping dept., bc we don't move very fast.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

it's going to take even longer to get your books once 63 yr olds have to continue working in the shipping dept., bc we don't move very fast.

the 63 yr olds are just there to direct the 8 yr olds :capitalism:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/BennettTomlin/status/1647290619407093760

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
fedcoin

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oh god if I have use a loving government backed stable coin in my actual loving life.

no no no. gently caress that poo poo.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
hello this is steve from the IRS blockchain, i am calling about your transfer of 0.00034356 fed coins

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

oh god if I have use a loving government backed stable coin in my actual loving life.

no no no. gently caress that poo poo.

Central bank digital currency is probably inevitable. I can't see governments passing up the opportunity to be able to monitor all financial transactions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is one of those crack-ping moments, and there have been quite a few since 2016, where it feels like either everyone else is going insane but you or vice versa.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Central bank digital currency is probably inevitable. I can't see governments passing up the opportunity to be able to monitor all financial transactions.

It's gonna rule when hackers figure out how to get in and just turn off everyone's money off in a keystroke. So much more efficient than having to hack in every single banks system at once

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

NeonPunk posted:

It's gonna rule when hackers figure out how to get in and just turn off everyone's money off in a keystroke. So much more efficient than having to hack in every single banks system at once

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Monitoring is good, but targeted, real-time instantaneous demand destruction by invalidating tokens is the real jam.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We can take away excess money to lower inflation

from poor people only, m/billionaires will get a cut of the takings

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Acelerion posted:

Background: these reservoirs sit on the west side of Houston and are V shaped flood plains where the point of the V discharges into the city and out to sea and the upper part of the V backs up into suburbs. Developers literally sued the corps of engineers to be able to build housing inside the V. People that bought the houses had no idea they were inside a dam - you would have no idea just driving around.

One of the great parts about this is that post Harvey the more affluent suburb counties sued the corps of engineers for not opening the dams earlier and instead flooding houses. Opening the dams literally sends a wall of water into downtown poorer areas and I think did end up killing people. They had to open them anyway after they filled up to the point it was risking overtopping the berms.

The counties downstream also sued arguing they should have let the reservoirs continue to fill instead of intentionally opening them and you know, killing people.

The affluent counties won their suit and those folks are looking at recovering funds. The poor areas had their suit dismissed.

why is everything so stupid

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

greetings doomsday(?) econ thread. Some of you may be aware that the new goonfund is up and running and officially incorporated! What some of you may not be aware is that we are doing a fundraiser to help us get off the ground! Check out our ongoing fundraiser that's running through the rest of the month! We are having all the megathreads compete and the winner of the contest will get an artwork declaring their thread the best in CSPAM! Please note, you have to have an american address to contribute to the goonfund or request from it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Crazypoops posted:

I had severe Democrat and they put me on SSRIs

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

McDonalds should take advantage of this weak regulations era and bring back Styrofoam containers it would increase sales 30%

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

The thing that's great about usenet is it's really easy to automate.

Downloads

SABnzbd - NZB processor. Goon project, I'm pretty sure
Sonarr for TV
Radarr for Movies
Gamebrary for videogames (though I haven't actually messed around with it)
And I use Plex as my media center but whatever you like is fine

Services

The best ones of these aren't free but they're still cheaper than HBO

NZB.su - NZB indexer, has a free tier thats limited in downloads a day, $15 a year for unlimited
Newshosting - Probably the best hosting service. 5000+ day retention. I've been able to download stuff that was 500 days old with no problem. $13 a month but they have sales often and you retain the promo price if you remain subbed. I got it for $50 a year a few black fridays back

Guide

A TRaSH guide on setting it all up

------------------------------------------------------

Why did I write this all up?

My friend downloaded something via BitTorrent and almost immediately got a warning message from Comcast, if I forward this to them should I suggest they use a VPN?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

My friend downloaded something via BitTorrent and almost immediately got a warning message from Comcast, if I forward this to them should I suggest they use a VPN?

there's no need for a VPN with encrypted usenet downloads

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

I get Ai youtube videos and one was "earn 300'00 a year"
and the guy's basic tutorial was, 1) use ai to make stickers, 2) sell the stickers on an online sticker store.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

they put crypto mining viruses and send the letter to the ISP to boot. so he should probably scan his machine for that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

A miserable pile of secrets

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

there is no sharing with usenet, unless you specifically choose to upload and post material. its all encrypted and isps have never cared unless you're hitting some download limit

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

A miserable pile of secrets

a Rockefeller republican

an unscratched liberal

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hate Turbotax. They said I'm ineligible for e-file because I'm a shut-in with no income. Wouldn't mind so much if using the printer wasn't a software nightmare.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

turbotax defaults to 70 buck version and all the online guides to help find the free version of turbotax on their own site are clogged with google ai poo poo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
gently caress TurboTax. They lobby to keep taxes hard and stupid. I've been using freetaxusa for ages.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I hate Turbotax. They said I'm ineligible for e-file because I'm a shut-in with no income. Wouldn't mind so much if using the printer wasn't a software nightmare.

I use FreeTaxUSA which, despite sounding like some sort of scam, works just fine and is free for standard federal tax stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Happy Saturday. Have a hell of a krugman thread
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1647197840660103168?t=qoObFWGk2NIzXL4CPBUKqw&s=19

Then he follows up the thread with another thread.
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1647326054707494914?t=rNeec8adxzWkxdAZPq7Cbg&s=19

Furman weighs in too with his own thread.
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1647327133247717376?t=UEqdLhEkg7TI-RmMWa2DTg&s=19

Choice pieces of data in both threads. Krugman of course is a moron.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Apr 15, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Eregos posted:

I'm a moderate Democrat

lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

The economy makes perfect sense if you approach it as fraud on an unprecedented scale.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

All of economics as a field looks fraudulent when you realize that every single economist is just wishcasting their desired outcomes

All economic analysis is technical analysis, which should really just be called "intuitive graph tracing"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I get Ai youtube videos and one was "earn 300'00 a year"
and the guy's basic tutorial was, 1) use ai to make stickers, 2) sell the stickers on an online sticker store.

They're all like this. I have a pile of AI Udemy courses because I'm evaluating GPT-4 for a client (it won't get even close to doing what they need but they'll probably use it anyway lmao) and they're all the same poo poo. Even the relatively well-meaning ones essentially boil down to instructions on cranking out an absurd amount of garbage-tier poo poo because the effort required to get good results isn't worth it.

I keep saying it, but the usual grifters bandwagoning this poo poo is the best indication that it's not really going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Happy Saturday. Have a hell of a krugman thread
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1647197840660103168?t=qoObFWGk2NIzXL4CPBUKqw&s=19

Then he follows up the thread with another thread.
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1647326054707494914?t=rNeec8adxzWkxdAZPq7Cbg&s=19

Furman weighs in too with his own thread.
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1647327133247717376?t=UEqdLhEkg7TI-RmMWa2DTg&s=19

(This goes for my own efforts too)