Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What is the recommended photo editor app? Someone I talked with mentioned Photoroom in order to AI manipulate backgrounds but I was wondering if there was a good AI editor (to where you can remove objects from pics, or unblur them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I am mixed on apple going to USB C. On one hand I am sick of Apple devices being the only thing I need a special cord for, but on the other hand I prefer lightning to USB C for devices that spend lot of time in my pocket. USB C Ports get gunked up and worn out. Lightning ports are very easy to clean out and don't have a tab inside that can break.

That said i basically only use it for my airpods at this point. I have wireless chargers around the house so I basically only use charging cables when I am out of town.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Usb C is ok but yeah i really prefer Lightning at this point.

Not that it matters since everything is moving to C but it’s definitely not the greatest.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Under Software Update in iOS Settingsg, is Beta Updates appearing just standard for everyone now? Or is it because I have registered for beta releases in the past?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Under Software Update in iOS Settingsg, is Beta Updates appearing just standard for everyone now? Or is it because I have registered for beta releases in the past?

Yea it’s a new thing

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I believe it appears if your Apple ID is the same as the one registered to a developer account. There's also a way to add your developer account if you use a different email

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

101 posted:

I believe it appears if your Apple ID is the same as the one registered to a developer account. There's also a way to add your developer account if you use a different email

It’s just a new thing for everyone I think. I can see it and I don’t have any developer account bizzo

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't see it on my device.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Question Mark Mound posted:

Facebook Messenger is the worst for bad notifications. For me to remove the badge on the app icon, I need to have read the message and swiped back to the "list of conversations" screen.

This is a dumb bug and I reported it in the Ex-Facebook People feedback group the other day. Shameful really.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Grumbles posted:

It’s just a new thing for everyone I think. I can see it and I don’t have any developer account bizzo

Now that beta profiles aren't a thing, there's two possibilities:
- you have public beta access without a developer account
- developer account beta access early

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to remove Public Beta Access from my Apple ID?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Is there a way to remove Public Beta Access from my Apple ID?

Nope, that's available to everyone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Weird AirPods question:

I just got airpod pros 2nd Gen a few weeks ago. They work great but I have noticed something weird. If I am listening to audio only, no issue. But if I am watching a video (does not matter the app), the videos will buffer, stutter or just stop randomly before saying that the AirPods have just connected.

If I watch the video without the AirPods in, I have no issue.

Any suggestions?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Weird AirPods question:

I just got airpod pros 2nd Gen a few weeks ago. They work great but I have noticed something weird. If I am listening to audio only, no issue. But if I am watching a video (does not matter the app), the videos will buffer, stutter or just stop randomly before saying that the AirPods have just connected.

If I watch the video without the AirPods in, I have no issue.

Any suggestions?

Does this happen on cellular, wi-fi, or both?
Also, is your wi-fi using the 2.5ghz band, 5ghz band, or both?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've never experienced or noticed that issue but it's my understanding that bluetooth does some kind of handshake with the device in order to ensure that the video and audio are synced when watching content, as there's inherent lag. Maybe that's what's happening.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Does this happen on cellular, wi-fi, or both?
Also, is your wi-fi using the 2.5ghz band, 5ghz band, or both?

I have only witnessed it on WiFi which is the 5ghz band.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For languages that don’t use the Roman alphabet, is there a way in Apple’s translate app to show pronunciation or is this the usual case of “just use Google’s app”? Both have the option to have the phone say the translation out loud but it would be nice to try to say things for myself.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

For languages that don’t use the Roman alphabet, is there a way in Apple’s translate app to show pronunciation or is this the usual case of “just use Google’s app”? Both have the option to have the phone say the translation out loud but it would be nice to try to say things for myself.

More like "just use DeepL"

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

101 posted:

More like "just use DeepL"
DeepL also doesn’t show the pronunciation guide :(

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Just learn how to read and pronounce the three main Japanese writing forms.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Honestly, hiragana and katakana I’m fine with but kanji outside of like the first hundred you learn in a 101 class is beyond me at this stage.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

Just to be contrary, I feel like the 14 Pro has worse battery life than the 13 Pro.
Could be the always-on display, because it seems worse to me on weekdays (when my phone is mostly out of my pocket, face-up on a desk) than weekends (when my phone is mostly in my pocket.)
Could also just be placebo.

This could be wishful thinking or confirmation bias, but I feel like 16.4 finally commented out all the debug code and battery life is good now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Honestly, hiragana and katakana I’m fine with but kanji outside of like the first hundred you learn in a 101 class is beyond me at this stage.

Furigana when Tim リンゴ?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

DeepL also doesn’t show the pronunciation guide :(

Sorry I somehow completely misread and thought you wanted it read aloud

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

is the Adblock app worth it? doesn’t look like it’s been updated in a while. I’ll switch to the brave browser if I have to I guess. it’s loving nuts that the top result in the app store is always an ad! separate issue I know.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

is the Adblock app worth it? doesn’t look like it’s been updated in a while. I’ll switch to the brave browser if I have to I guess. it’s loving nuts that the top result in the app store is always an ad! separate issue I know.

1blocker is the good one

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

1Blocker is good and has a lifetime purchase option.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

forty dollars to block loving ads?! you literally can’t even scroll on wikia and recipe sites. I might go back to android this is insane. ok the brave browser seems fine actually

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 21, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, go to Android to...avoid ads

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

AdGuard is like $5.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

forty dollars to block loving ads?! you literally can’t even scroll on wikia and recipe sites. I might go back to android this is insane. ok the brave browser seems fine actually

Here's a script to put into StoptheMadness or any other user script runner. Hth

code:
function recipeJumper() {
    const recipeSelectorList = [
        '.recipe-callout',
        '.tasty-recipes',
        '.easyrecipe',
        '.innerrecipe',
        '.recipe-summary.wide', // thepioneerwoman.com
        '.wprm-recipe-container',
        '.recipe-content',
        '.simple-recipe-pro',
        '.mv-recipe-card',
        '.recipe',
        'div[itemtype="http://schema.org/Recipe"]',
        'div[itemtype="https://schema.org/Recipe"]',
        '[attribute*="container-recipe"]',
        '.wprm-recipe',
        '.wprm-recipe-simple',
        '.cookbook-recipe',
        '.food-card',
        '.recipebody',
        '#wpurp-container-recipe-10155',
        '.recipe_card'
    ];
    const recipeSelectors = recipeSelectorList.join(", ");
    const selectedRecipe = document.querySelector(recipeSelectors);
    if (selectedRecipe) {
        console.log(selectedRecipe.tagName);
        selectedRecipe.scrollIntoView();
        console.log("recipe junped")
    }
}
document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded", (event) => {
    recipeJumper();
});

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you can block ads with the free version. did you look at the app at all

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’ve used 1Blocker for so long I don’t even know what the difference with the free version is at this point. $40 may be a lot but I mean it’s been worth it for me. Least I could do to support the dev, especially considering all they got from me was the $40 years ago.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
https://nextdns.io has been great for mobile ad blocking too, also free for one user

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e:Nevermind please disregard

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

pzy posted:

https://nextdns.io has been great for mobile ad blocking too, also free for one user

I’ll second this. I use the free version on all my iThings and even with my heavy use I don’t hit the limit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My phone keeps complaining it can’t do a backup and I’m not sure what the issue is.

It should be under the limit?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

My phone keeps complaining it can’t do a backup and I’m not sure what the issue is.

Well, A. Might as well delete old backups , although they aren’t taking up much space.

B. Only thing I can think of is rebooting (not erasing) and turning phone off and on ?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

An 88 gig backup feels very very large. My backup is like 4 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You should blur out your name.