Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah, it seems like there is some weirdness going on when images are turned off. I'll take a look.

As for the app soft-locking, with a sub $200 phone I'd try to reduce the number of posts per page to maybe 20 and see if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Double posting to report that the update should be live for beta testers.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Can confirm that I'm able to download images now on a Pixel 7 Pro. Thanks!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Same! Thank you so much!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sereri posted:

Ah, it seems like there is some weirdness going on when images are turned off. I'll take a look.

As for the app soft-locking, with a sub $200 phone I'd try to reduce the number of posts per page to maybe 20 and see if that helps.

I haven't had any trouble with image heavy threads and I have images turned off when I'm not on wifi anyways. I'm like 90% sure the problem started when they enabled sigs for imp zone.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

the new update (3.8.19) broke youtube links from embedded videos for me. I can watch them fine as embeds, but if I want to open it in the YouTube app it gives me "this video is unavailable". clicking through to their channel works. using a oneplus n20, android 12.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Can you quote a post where that happens and post a screenshot of what the url popup menu looks like?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

But in that same page this one works fine

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah that's on me. Turns out YouTube video IDs can have _ and - in them. Should've looked at more than 2 videos or, well, done a quick search 🙃

At least it's a quick fix. Thanks for reporting it 👍

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Update appears to be live for beta, fixing the two issues above

If there are no more issues, I'll push it out to the rest tomorrow

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

feature request: option when you click on the dots on a post to copy the URL of the avatar image for the post

who do I need to bribe (with what) to make that a reality?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sereri posted:

Update appears to be live for beta, fixing the two issues above

If there are no more issues, I'll push it out to the rest tomorrow

o7

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

500 good dogs posted:

feature request: option when you click on the dots on a post to copy the URL of the avatar image for the post

who do I need to bribe (with what) to make that a reality?

There are way too many options in the three dot post menu as it is, so I would suggest this happen on a long press of the avatar instead if anyone feels like implementing it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Gadzuko posted:

There are way too many options in the three dot post menu as it is, so I would suggest this happen on a long press of the avatar instead if anyone feels like implementing it

sounds good to me! and yeah lol you're right

I'll give someone SA certs if they do this for me :D

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know if it's a setting I've messed up or what, but links to SA from announcements get opened in my browser instead of within the app. This is on Android.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

But how will I then find out that the image is in fact that poster's avatar?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dabir posted:

I don't know if it's a setting I've messed up or what, but links to SA from announcements get opened in my browser instead of within the app. This is on Android.

Probably obvious, but it's worth checking the open by default settings if you haven't already, sometimes things go weird there with updates or something. I had this happen with the last announcement, and one of my phones had that disabled (which may have been me testing something and then forgetting to change back) but the other was set to ask which app to use every time (not a setting I would ever assign it myself).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, there we go, the forums.somethingawful.com.setting was turned off. Cheers.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i'm just gonna go barging in and ask.. what's the status around creating threads? will the bug report from 2013 be marked WONTFIX anytime soon?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tankakern posted:

will the bug report from 2013 be marked WONTFIX anytime soon?

No because you just volunteered to fix it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I just discovered the hard way that if a thread is locked while you're editing a post, when you click save it takes you back to the post, sans edit, and gives an error message about checking your network connection. Not really a critical issue, obviously. And honestly I normally wouldn't even call attention to it. But it occurs to me this situation is a lot more likely given how SAD operates, with threads locking and unlocking frequently and abruptly.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tankakern posted:

i'm just gonna go barging in and ask.. what's the status around creating threads? will the bug report from 2013 be marked WONTFIX anytime soon?

Closing old bug reports because old is bad manners, and these devs are polite.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Maybe a very odd and possibly mod specific feature request but is there any chance of maybe putting a "see post on web" selection in the drop-down menu or somewhere? I'm asking because if I want to go edit a thread title or throw in a probe I have to copy the url and move it over to a browser and it gets annoying

If that's dumb/not possible let me know, but also if it already exists and you let me know where it is you will have my undying love and affection

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you hit the three dots at the top for the thread not the post you can share it, and probably share direct to your browser there

The next time you do it your last choice should be remembered too

Doesn't go direct to the post but it's a start

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I just discovered the hard way that if a thread is locked while you're editing a post, when you click save it takes you back to the post, sans edit, and gives an error message about checking your network connection. Not really a critical issue, obviously. And honestly I normally wouldn't even call attention to it. But it occurs to me this situation is a lot more likely given how SAD operates, with threads locking and unlocking frequently and abruptly.

I get weird toasts about 'using an outdated method of secure connection' if the app gives up loading due to shite internet sometimes.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Dabir posted:

Ah, there we go, the forums.somethingawful.com.setting was turned off. Cheers.

Is this in the android setting somewhere? Have same problem and cant find it in default apps

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vitamin Me posted:

Is this in the android setting somewhere? Have same problem and cant find it in default apps

There's an "open by default" menu in the list of options for each specific app that you can pull up on its app info screen.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's an "open by default" menu in the list of options for each specific app that you can pull up on its app info screen.

Found it, thanks!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
For some reason the Lepers Colony link posted by Sad Rhino doesn't work from the app. This may be related to a known issue.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think he's included the . at the end as part of the link

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dabir posted:

I think he's included the . at the end as part of the link

I think that's why. Browsers are set up to strip that automatically. maybe I'll try and learn how to fix that and be a helper, but not til after work

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Following on that whole imgur thing, I'm curious how image uploads through the app are handled. I'm assuming they're anonymous and not linked to an account along the way? I hate imgur's mobile interface, but I may have to start dealing with that if it's needed to tie images to an account.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yes, basically. I'll see if I have time on the weekend to check if it's easily possible to have imgur account data in the app so it's tied to the account but that depends on their api

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Harold Fjord posted:

I think that's why. Browsers are set up to strip that automatically. maybe I'll try and learn how to fix that and be a helper, but not til after work

it's a daily realization for me that browsers are dumb and will actually will attempt to go to that URI with the period at the end. Plus 'http://weeabo.edu/user/cloudstrife/.' is common in colleges where they just map the user's unix account to web.

Browsers look like the '.' is automatically stripped out, but hit F12 and then select network and look that the browser is trying that bad URI, returns an error response, and assumes what the user actually meant. It's a hack to make the experience look fine. I promise you that if you try to load that URI into a browser from ~2000, that URI will return an error.

The period is a valid URI character and an especially lovely one because it's considered an "unreserved character" which means the URI can have periods where ever it god drat pleases and be technically valid. If you pass that URL into something like java's implementation of URI, it will pass and throw no exception.

So to implement something like what you said, you'll have to implement the same type of hack. Maybe something like if a URI ends with something not alphanumeric besides slashes, remove it.

Sereri posted:

Yes, basically. I'll see if I have time on the weekend to check if it's easily possible to have imgur account data in the app so it's tied to the account but that depends on their api

I quickly looked at it and it's very permissive, like you don't need to refresh after a day of not using it (if i'm reading it right). authorize once, get an access_token (which lasts for a month) and then you can just request a refresh_token to get a new access_token with the refresh lasting an entire month. Still need to store the normal things like secret and user id but it's not as harsh as something like openai's api.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 23, 2023

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah, the url will not be fixed by the app

EVIL Gibson posted:

I quickly looked at it and it's very permissive, like you don't need to refresh after a day of not using it (if i'm reading it right). authorize once, get an access_token (which lasts for a month) and then you can just request a refresh_token to get a new access_token with the refresh lasting an entire month. Still need to store the normal things like secret and user id but it's not as harsh as something like openai's api.

Yeah, i basically figured out what to do but didn't have enough time to make the changes.
Still, all old images have been uploaded anonymously, there is no way around that. It would just be allowing people to upload them to their account.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
So in one of the many threads trying to figure out alternate image hosts, imgpile has come up & many people have noted that images hosted there won't load(or load very inconsistently) for them. I've noticed that myself before but only on mobile, and after some brief/lazy testing, the problem does indeed seem to be isolated to the app(imgpile loads fine on desktop, in mobile firefox viewing SA & also in links posted in mobile discord).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've got a weird thing going where some mp4s on Imgur embed, but when I press play, they never stop loading. Appears to be random which ones work and which ones don't. If I open the link in an external app, they play instantly. It's persistent in that I can kill the app, reboot the phone and go back to the same post and it will be the same embeds that fail to play and the same that work.

I nabbed this one from the gif thread as the most recent one that doesn't play:

https://i.imgur.com/O3vttjT.mp4

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this happen.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That played played perfectly fine for me.

I seem to have that problem on my browser (Firefox), but never in this app.

Edit: also, :aaaaa:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Weird. I have trouble imagining what's causing it then.

I guess it's been happening for a week more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I guess I should add details:
Pixel 4a and I am currently browsing on mobile via Verizon Prepaid. Version 3.8.20. Autoplay is turned off.