Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Every so often I can't help but think about that time an olympics commentator referred to the unicorn statues as "Gandum" and called it "some sort of famous robot". That just lives in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuebot posted:

Every so often I can't help but think about that time an olympics commentator referred to the unicorn statues as "Gandum" and called it "some sort of famous robot". That just lives in my brain.

You gotta let all the old people watching the olympics know you're not into that nerd poo poo from the pervert country. He intentionally went out of his way to mispronounce it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

You gotta let all the old people watching the olympics know you're not into that nerd poo poo from the pervert country. He intentionally went out of his way to mispronounce it.

See also Poke E Man

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

tsob posted:

Is Masaru Kawaguchi any relation to Meijin Kawaguchi, out of curiosity?

Warmachine posted:

I didn't comment on this, but the first thing that popped into my head was, "Oh so that's where they got the name." Couldn't say one way or another on the truth of it, but that's my kneejerk reaction.
The one from Build Fighters is a reference to Katsumi Kawaguchi, who is a modeller/designer now working for Bandai.
But I have no idea if Katsumi and Masaru are related or anything myself.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So Gundam Evolution finally launched in Australia. Is it worth trying?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

So Gundam Evolution finally launched in Australia. Is it worth trying?

It's a fun overwatch like game and is free. Worth playing until you get bored of it; especially since there's probably going to be a surge of new players finally playing it for the first time.

It's kind of crippled by some really lovely monetization decisions, the game launched with like what, four unlockable suits but you could only earn enough currency to unlock two? And it took months to do it. Most of the cosmetics are distributed by gacha and a lot of them are locked to a premium gacha, and the game's crafting system has disgustingly bad exchange rates for duplicates. Balance is also kind of fucky but that's more of a subjective discussion because people who point out it's weird that the melee suits are stupidly strong get told it's just a "skill issue" while their hard counters get nerfed into the ground.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/archeoloweeb/status/1646517623868514306

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It's a fun overwatch like game and is free. Worth playing until you get bored of it; especially since there's probably going to be a surge of new players finally playing it for the first time.

It's kind of crippled by some really lovely monetization decisions, the game launched with like what, four unlockable suits but you could only earn enough currency to unlock two? And it took months to do it. Most of the cosmetics are distributed by gacha and a lot of them are locked to a premium gacha, and the game's crafting system has disgustingly bad exchange rates for duplicates. Balance is also kind of fucky but that's more of a subjective discussion because people who point out it's weird that the melee suits are stupidly strong get told it's just a "skill issue" while their hard counters get nerfed into the ground.

The real problem with G-Evo is a lack of backfill and an insistence on making even casual matches best 2-of-3 so expect any given full match to take half an hour or more. When a single casual match in OW might be done in under ten minutes if it's a knock down, drag out evenly matched fight, it's extremely unfriendly to people who just want to play quick scrims. No backfill means one person leaving can just kind of slowly bleed a match to death up until enough people leave that the match itself gets cancelled.

Also there's no crossplay so instead of having one moderately healthy population you have a half dozen splintered populations none of which break three digits due to the aforementioned problems.

Which is a shame because the core gameplay actually owns.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Runa posted:

The real problem with G-Evo is a lack of backfill and an insistence on making even casual matches best 2-of-3 so expect any given full match to take half an hour or more. When a single casual match in OW might be done in under ten minutes if it's a knock down, drag out evenly matched fight, it's extremely unfriendly to people who just want to play quick scrims. No backfill means one person leaving can just kind of slowly bleed a match to death up until enough people leave that the match itself gets cancelled.

Also there's no crossplay so instead of having one moderately healthy population you have a half dozen splintered populations none of which break three digits due to the aforementioned problems.

Which is a shame because the core gameplay actually owns.

This is actually a really good summation of why the game's matchmaking and what else is hosed up for sure. Between the long matches and constant leaving; when playing with randos you could practically feel your team's morale drop the instant you had a bad round which would snowball worse and worse until it basically guaranteed your loss because everyone just resigned themselves to wanting it over as fast as possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't want to whine again about how getting into extra time on domination is the game saying "Did you think you won? Sorry, one guy was on the point so now you have to stand there and lose for 5 minutes"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I seriously hate that domination overtime doesn't swap to a new point

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

1/6th scale HG Big Zam when

Right after I get my perfect grade Dendrobium.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I seriously hate that domination overtime doesn't swap to a new point

It's almost as if preventing one team from squatting all 5 guys on the point forever is the entire reason the points swap

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1646816817405657091?t=PrwI3qPU1MmETcqyfOkiUA&s=19

Also Calamity War footage:
https://twitter.com/Qierax_xiso/status/1646805785299791877?t=jkBcDuuAy923h63-UGVOSw&s=19

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 14, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The first one is Atra's MS.

It... didn't do very well in its first (and probably only) outing.

Second one, though, is notable for the dueling cape. Pilot went up to a killbot and wanted to make sure it knew he was there to ruin its day. You have to respect that kind of dedication vis a vis presentation.

Also, continuing with 0083. Monsha is, as promised, the worst. It's interesting how many rounds are exchanged in the practice fight. Normally in Gundam, even practice duels tend to be restricted in how much firing goes on. A few good bursts, and the fight's decided, or the suit's proven tough enough that firing is pointless. Interesting, but it did make the bursts themselves less interesting, since we didn't see how they could do anything.

Maybe it's just seeing what I expect to see, but it's already feeling like 0083 is starting to lose what made 1 and 2 so special. Characterization is broader, there's fewer small moments for Kou and Nina to carve out their own niches compared to past Gundam protagonists (although Kou's visit to Alan's room was good... hurt the emotion a bit, though, when naked tits were in the focus of the shot. Distracts from thinking about tragedy, you know?), and Gato's not hilariously pompous in his scene. Episode 1 and 2 Gato is pretty much constantly getting mocked by the show, even as it respects his skill and thinks he has something in his devotion to a cause that Kou needs to grow as a person to match. Episode 3 Gato is just, well, what Gato thinks of himself as. Sure, it's only one scene, and if I didn't know where it'd go I'd think nothing of it, but I feel like I'm constantly monitoring for any sign of the moment things fall apart.

Episodes 1 and 2 were strong enough that I pretty much ignored that, and 3's still good, but its pointless core conflict behind the main fight makes looking for weaknesses more tempting

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Playing some Gundam Evolution last night, and... yeah, I can see exactly where all the complaints came from. The actual round design being the same between Casual and Ranked is really weird and pretty detrimental, and the monetization structure is... not just a bit overly greedy (not as bad as I thought, but not better than described), but kinda unintuitive? I'd at least expect something spruiking a battle pass and cosmetics to be really up-front about it, but I genuinely couldn't figure out how to get some of it. Also, I expected more prominent fanservice about that; I thought they'd be putting a lot more 'canon' skins front and center, but the only one I actually saw was Char's Zaku. C'mon guys, Gundam nerds love canonical slight variants on their favorite suits, how are you not cashing in there?

It's a shame, because it genuinely does seem like a worthwhile entry into the genre even aside from the IP. Most of its new spins on the formula generally work, I already love the game mode with the roaming control point, and some of these suits are really good designs I'm surprised I hadn't seen before. The Marasai's a really neat support in particular, and I love that the Turn-A's gun is basically Metroid Prime Samus. I kinda hate that all three of the suit-specific weekly challenges they gave me have the Barbatos as an option, though, because that'd read like an immediate shortcut to rewards... if the Barbatos weren't pretty easily my least favorite suit to play so far.

EDIT: It does fall for what I'm starting to notice is a weakness of fanservice-focused competitive games in general, though: weak stages. The layouts themselves are fine, but very few of the maps feel like they're Places Giant Robots Are Fighting, and far as I can tell none of them really scream 'Gundam', either. I kinda expected Tekkadan's base, or a space colony, or... y'know, objectives that make sense to be something approximately forty-meter-robot sized.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 15, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

(although Kou's visit to Alan's room was good... hurt the emotion a bit, though, when naked tits were in the focus of the shot. Distracts from thinking about tragedy, you know?)

American spotted

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Playing some Gundam Evolution last night, and... yeah, I can see exactly where all the complaints came from. The actual round design being the same between Casual and Ranked is really weird and pretty detrimental, and the monetization structure is... not just a bit overly greedy (not as bad as I thought, but not better than described), but kinda unintuitive? I'd at least expect something spruiking a battle pass and cosmetics to be really up-front about it, but I genuinely couldn't figure out how to get some of it. Also, I expected more prominent fanservice about that; I thought they'd be putting a lot more 'canon' skins front and center, but the only one I actually saw was Char's Zaku. C'mon guys, Gundam nerds love canonical slight variants on their favorite suits, how are you not cashing in there?

It's a shame, because it genuinely does seem like a worthwhile entry into the genre even aside from the IP. Most of its new spins on the formula generally work, I already love the game mode with the roaming control point, and some of these suits are really good designs I'm surprised I hadn't seen before. The Marasai's a really neat support in particular, and I love that the Turn-A's gun is basically Metroid Prime Samus. I kinda hate that all three of the suit-specific weekly challenges they gave me have the Barbatos as an option, though, because that'd read like an immediate shortcut to rewards... if the Barbatos weren't pretty easily my least favorite suit to play so far.

EDIT: It does fall for what I'm starting to notice is a weakness of fanservice-focused competitive games in general, though: weak stages. The layouts themselves are fine, but very few of the maps feel like they're Places Giant Robots Are Fighting, and far as I can tell none of them really scream 'Gundam', either. I kinda expected Tekkadan's base, or a space colony, or... y'know, objectives that make sense to be something approximately forty-meter-robot sized.

The main reason I left Evo behind in beta was "this doesn't feel like Gundam, this feels like Overwatch reskinned with Gundam."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's an awful lot better than overwatch is the thing

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

if it's your thing it's your thing

I cannot get over all the differing power levels of the playable suits. Just can't. I know it's stupid but I can't.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ninjewtsu posted:

it's an awful lot better than overwatch is the thing

It seems most of the (ex)playerbase would disagree

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's sort of an abstract thing to rate Overwatch today, not to get too philosophical. It ruled for a couple years from 2016-18, plus since then Blizzard had all those issues, and for me it ran its course. But it was really really cool for a couple years.

Nu Gundam, now that always rules, it's timeless.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

It's sort of an abstract thing to rate Overwatch today, not to get too philosophical. It ruled for a couple years from 2016-18, plus since then Blizzard had all those issues, and for me it ran its course. But it was really really cool for a couple years.

Nu Gundam, now that always rules, it's beyond the time

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The TM Network, now that's a channel to always tune into!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blockhouse posted:

It seems most of the (ex)playerbase would disagree

I think the raw gameplay is better, but Overwatch actually doen't fly on raw gameplay, it flies on polish and character flair, which Gundam Evo can't touch it on no matter how much you like the Guntank.

The choice of having all the voice acting being generic and not tied to the suits is probably a deficit overall, even if the 'ideal' alternative of getting the old VAs back is probably overly expensive and not actually as interesting as you'd hope (Setsuna and Mikazuki probably aren't hugely vibrant and different people when put in the same room). And the maps don't carry it, either, it doesn't feel like it's taking place in a cohesive and interesting world of its own or a pastiche of Cool Gundam Places.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cleretic posted:

I think the raw gameplay is better, but Overwatch actually doen't fly on raw gameplay, it flies on polish and character flair, which Gundam Evo can't touch it on no matter how much you like the Guntank.

The choice of having all the voice acting being generic and not tied to the suits is probably a deficit overall, even if the 'ideal' alternative of getting the old VAs back is probably overly expensive and not actually as interesting as you'd hope (Setsuna and Mikazuki probably aren't hugely vibrant and different people when put in the same room). And the maps don't carry it, either, it doesn't feel like it's taking place in a cohesive and interesting world of its own or a pastiche of Cool Gundam Places.

Is there any backstory at all? A Musou style dimensional portal or a Build thing or something?

Ooh, what would own if they did it like Girls und Panzer but set after Turn A Gundam. They rebuilt all the suits from the Dark History but now just use them for a fun sport.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gripweed posted:

Is there any backstory at all? A Musou style dimensional portal or a Build thing or something?

Ooh, what would own if they did it like Girls und Panzer but set after Turn A Gundam. They rebuilt all the suits from the Dark History but now just use them for a fun sport.

No backstory or explanation, but some of the voiced lines seem to imply a Build Divers sort of VR thing where dying is both an actual felt thing and something you just get back up from.

I do think it'd benefit from leaning into that, actually. Give all those voices real names and maybe hints of backstory; it won't really make them full-fledged characters, but it'll make it feel less like we're just playing a generic-but-pretty-good Overwatch clone with a Gundam paint job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's too Gundam to fully appeal to a general audience, but not Gundam enough to appeal to the Gundam fanbase

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

if it's your thing it's your thing

I cannot get over all the differing power levels of the playable suits. Just can't. I know it's stupid but I can't.

For me, I couldn't get over the handling. As a game, I like GBO2 way better because it feels right. Evo is just an arena shooter with a Gundam skin. You move like an Unreal Tournament character, not a giant machine the size of a building. It completely destroys the fantasy of it for me.

GBO2 has its own problems of course, the main one it shares with Evo: I just can't stand team-based arena multiplayer anymore.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's too Gundam to fully appeal to a general audience, but not Gundam enough to appeal to the Gundam fanbase

:yeah:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It was very popular at launch so that's not true

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fédération vs Zeon remains the undisputed champ

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Fédération vs Zeon remains the undisputed champ

Zaft vs whatever the other guys were called has a lot of potential.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd play a Star Wars Bsttlefront 2 Gundam game. Just a bunch of GM and Zakus and then when you get enough points you can spawn in as a hero unit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gently caress, that would be cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Go look up Operation Troy and be mad

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think Evolution also needs more maps that embrace being Gundam As gently caress. Go for more explicit references rather than concepts that vaguely fit 'things that happen in Gundam', and more that feel like they're actually at giant-robot scale. There's one that I think was added later on since I didn't see it in launch trailers, that's an actual city where the map ends at a seaport, and that feels like they got so close to what I'd want, because not only was the scale good but it actually felt like a setpiece that a Gundam show would do; specifically, I got 00 vibes.

Doing that could also open up to more distinctive maps and maybe some gimmicks, too. Maybe an IBO map that either has to deal with Hashmal or has the round end in the Dainsleif bombardment, maybe that derelict space colony form that one Zeta fight, or just a post-apocalyptic map with the Devil Gundam looming in the background.

Basically, I think the central 'fighting with Gundam suits' core is actually the best it can be by itself, it's just that the rest of the game needs to step up to help it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 16, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Zaft vs whatever the other guys were called has a lot of potential.

OMNI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Go look up Operation Troy and be mad

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Waffleman_ posted:

It had a high peak for a game that had no crossplay, the problem is in part because their updates for a live service have been sparse and they pick suits like Hyperion instead of the Aerial