Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

wei posted:

Spare prerelease codes

CAEA0-5E935-245F6-5018D-42363

C03D4-CBC04-A2D31-46558-B9121

thanks, i got the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Someone took the second and didn't say anything, rude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Went 7-2 with G/W humans in shadows draft. I knew humans were silly good, but also great was Angel of Subjugation, a card I had forgotten exists.

p1p1 had Big Mommy Avacyn but I passed her up for Dec in Stone. The deck didn't really come together until pack 2, I got two lone riders, captain ham, didn't even need a tireless tracker but I wish I'd opened one

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If someone plays Sheoldred you can rope them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
alternatively don't be a petulant rear end in a top hat because your opponent played a good card in a competitive game

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
A moderately good card, not really that great, even

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

flatluigi posted:

alternatively don't be a petulant rear end in a top hat because your opponent played a good card in a competitive game

But what if they're playing one of the bullshit colors?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I haven’t run into a roper in what feels like a long time but I remember it being really bad around the time that Rogues was a popular deck. Open blue mana seems to bring out the worst in people.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The only person who's roped me in a long time was the one who friended me during the match to say he wants to put all the gays in the oven. The ticket I filled to WotC has been sitting untouched for 4 months and there's more recent YouTube videos of him roping other people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq3iTpVw17w

I don't get how he's able to turn every 1 minute game into a 15-30 minute game without doing anything. Is he just doing shift-full-control then passing at the last second of every rope?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

You can rope Baral players, but only if you're not also playing hellqueue commander

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

You can rope Baral players

That's their fetish though

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I once roped an opponent after they kept contantly spamming "your turn" for the whole match. It was the thing that made me disable the chat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the power of bluffing after an accidental questionable keep with mono-red aggro

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone ever publicly whined about being punished for roping, to at least confirm that they do something about roping? Like if there's one thing that just ruins the play experience on a comparable level to playing against mono blue, it would be roping. It's not a high percentage of matches, but the ones that rope can just ruin the mood for more.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
To me, a lot of roping feels like disconnects. When people realize they've lost, they close the game. Or it might be a bug when you concede and the concede isn't properly sent to your opponent.

I refuse to think that so many people are so petty that they'll actually sit there and rope me to spite me. Because it happens A LOT.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No punishment as far as I know, just folks asking for a punishment system, along with other games where this behaviour is possible. I think it's just one of those things in life where folks can and will be lovely to you without consequence or benefit if they want.

If it's not Limited it can feel good to just leave. Who gives a poo poo about any amount of ranked queue losses, especially if they're roping because you won. You still won and you don't have to sit through their petty bullshit. Time is the scarcest resource in arena so better to spend it having fun with an opponent rather than allowing a dickhead to interact with you.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

i've unintentionally roped people on mobile before because somehow the reconnect feature on phones has gotten worse and worse over time.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Am I the only one that thinks that the Arena Battlepass is horrible?

I've been playing pretty much every day and doing my daily quests etc. and I don't think I'll make it to 80. It feels like a second job and God help you if you take a week off.

The only good thing is that you can postpone buying it until you can see how far you're likely to get. Because there's absolutely no way I'm paying for the BP and then paying to skip levels.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Jakosa posted:

I've been playing pretty much every day and doing my daily quests etc. and I don't think I'll make it to 80. It feels like a second job and God help you if you take a week off.

The only good thing is that you can postpone buying it until you can see how far you're likely to get. Because there's absolutely no way I'm paying for the BP and then paying to skip levels.

It feels worse because it's only been 2 months since the last set, while there was 3 months between the brother's war and all will be one. I'm pretty sure it's been calculated in this thread before but you don't need to reach level 80 (it's more like level 35) to get your money's worth out of the mastery pass.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Jakosa posted:

It is very much made for people who play every day. Though something like 2 wins per day on average are enough to get the Pass full, as long as you never go below 1 win each day. I play like that and got the pass to the last useful reward this morning, which is closer then any other set I remember.
If you don't at log in at least every 3 days to do all the quests, then the pass and all other play rewards drop off a cliff. Which is the attitude they want to encourage, certainly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VictualSquid posted:

It is very much made for people who play every day. Though something like 2 wins per day on average are enough to get the Pass full, as long as you never go below 1 win each day. I play like that and got the pass to the last useful reward this morning, which is closer then any other set I remember.
If you don't at log in at least every 3 days to do all the quests, then the pass and all other play rewards drop off a cliff. Which is the attitude they want to encourage, certainly.
all it encouraged me to do is never buy the mastery pass again unless I somehow get so addicted again that I wind up hitting the end of it through regular play anyways

the mastery pass should just be "buy this and you can complete it in whatever timeframe you like" like some other games do. being pressured to complete something like that makes me not want to do it at all instead.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

all it encouraged me to do is never buy the mastery pass again unless I somehow get so addicted again that I wind up hitting the end of it through regular play anyways

the mastery pass should just be "buy this and you can complete it in whatever timeframe you like" like some other games do. being pressured to complete something like that makes me not want to do it at all instead.

I don't play any other games with mastery passes, but I thought they work the same as the arena one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't really interact with microtransaction poo poo in other games, but I swear I've heard of multiple games in the last few years that were "buy the pass, complete it as you will" rather than a time-limited thing. so you're putting money up front, but you're not under a time crunch to hit the finale of it. seems like a much better system to me. yes, I know why it's generally not done that way, to get the daily logins.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jakosa posted:

To me, a lot of roping feels like disconnects. When people realize they've lost, they close the game. Or it might be a bug when you concede and the concede isn't properly sent to your opponent.

I refuse to think that so many people are so petty that they'll actually sit there and rope me to spite me. Because it happens A LOT.

One of the Lords of Limited guys confessed this recently - when games were going poorly on mobile, he'd sometimes just close the app, and it didn't occur to him until that day that that wasn't a concession, he was roping people.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Don't put money into the mastery pass, buy it if you have the gems anyway

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, that is the right attitude.
If you have the f2p gems to afford the mastery pass, then you also play enough to fill it.
If you have to buy gems to afford it, you don't play enough to fill it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't really interact with microtransaction poo poo in other games, but I swear I've heard of multiple games in the last few years that were "buy the pass, complete it as you will" rather than a time-limited thing. so you're putting money up front, but you're not under a time crunch to hit the finale of it. seems like a much better system to me. yes, I know why it's generally not done that way, to get the daily logins.

they're still set up as 'seasons' and will eventually finish and have the next pass pop up at some point. i don't think i've ever seen a mastery/battle/season pass in a game that wasn't set up along those lines.

i think mtga's setup is fine on the scale of how fine to not fine battle pass systems are, mostly because it dodges three significant drawbacks:
- you always know when the pass will end (the release of the next set) so you're never surprised by it
- you can make progress on the pass before you spend any money, so you can wait to buy it until the pass is wrapping up when you know exactly how much if it you're getting
- you don't have to log in every single day to complete it; as long as you're checking in every three days or so to clear quests and doing the weekly event you should be good to go

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Don’t quote me but I wanna say the value has gotten worse over time. Two years ago I’m pretty sure you got more of your gems back, making it a no brainer if you were close to completion and cared about packs at all.

Now I’m at level 65, and I’m not sure if the boosters are worth the draft they would cost me (and I’m accounting for the included draft token).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

flatluigi posted:

- you always know when the pass will end (the release of the next set) so you're never surprised by it

I still think the number of days remaining should always be visible

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

This is pretty much how I feel.

I don't play many other games with battlepasses, but I do play Call of Duty and their battlepass is a completely different animal.

The COD one feels more like something I paid for that's meant to be fun. The MtG Arena one feels like an obligation I sign up for.

I know what the obvious answer to my frustration is: Don't buy it. I'm just wondering if other people are happy with it, the way it is :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jakosa posted:

The COD one feels more like something I paid for that's meant to be fun. The MtG Arena one feels like an obligation I sign up for.

I know what the obvious answer to my frustration is: Don't buy it. I'm just wondering if other people are happy with it, the way it is :)

This is maybe more on me than Wotc, but I stress over it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You can literally just wait until the last day and see if the rewards you'd unlock are worth the value and pay for it then.

I straight up missed almost three weeks and I STILL got sufficient value out of it, the important rewards are fairly frontloaded.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ONE is the first set since strixhaven that I haven't played much at all and wound up wasting the mastery pass I picked up before release, really bummed I only got like 25 or 30 levels in and it resets Tuesday. I've gotten all the mastery passes between strixhaven and now and maxed them all out long before their end so its not been an issue until now, but I've just not had time as of late or didn't want to invest the few hours I had available in jamming out quests and wins to get the weekly allotment since I had so much other stuff I've needed to get done. A shame, I hear ONE was a fun set, but I barely got to play it. At least I've got a ton of tokens saved up to use for MOM

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man I loving hate the acronyms they've been going with lately

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am looking forward to seeing what kind of set will complete the family cycle with DAD and SON. And if the family cycle will make a fun block format.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh yeah and do this if you aren't already: save up your gold for drafts, and then use the gems you get from drafting to buy the mastery pass. I haven't spent any actual money on this game since Kaldheim, and I've purchased every mastery pass with gems from drafting.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Gems is another thing that annoys me. I must be having a grumpy Sunday :)

Gems, in my mind, are like gift cards. I'll give WotC money now and they lock in my purchase of something in the future. In return they give me a discount.

But then they put stuff in the store that you can only with with actual money and not with gems. WTF, WotC?!?

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
true roping is intentional slow play. the person that ragequits by closing the app (and forgets that this isn't conceding the game) will time out in a couple minutes, but the roper sits there waiting until the game will punish them before passing priority.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

There needs to be a fast queue in arena, you can definitely make a play in 30 seconds or less before priority is passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SPEED MAGIC QUEUE, make it happen

bad connection? That's too bad, wifi warrior! Get better internet, loser!!