Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Wow, thank god! Saudi's efforts there have been untenable for so long. Just lots of people dying for no reason, not even a bad reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Words are easy. Let's see if things change on the ground.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah. What would this mean as far as the governing of Yemen? Who would be in control of what?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/MhmmdJamshidi/status/1637450956118818816

"brotherly countries"

I love it. "The scum of the earth, I believe? :tipshat:"

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65005792

Taliban supreme leader Hibatullah Akhundzada is complaining there is too much nepotism in the Taliban. Somehow, he thinks he can stop Taliban members from giving government jobs to their idiot sons by just demanding they stop it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Taliban supreme leader Hibatullah Akhundzada is complaining there is too much nepotism in the Taliban. Somehow, he thinks he can stop Taliban members from giving government jobs to their idiot sons by just demanding they stop it.

:sad:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Has a peace agreement been announced yet? I'm a bit behind. I tried Googling, but the latest stuff I can find is about how Iran agreed to stop arming Yemeni rebels as part of Iran's deal with Saudi Arabia.

And there's been a prisoner exchange, which I imagine must be a big deal.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I haven't seen anything official about Yemen yet.

Apparently KSA invited Raisi to visit the kingdom. What world are we living in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

golden bubble posted:

I love that, given military victory, the Taliban are now in a misery of their own making, dealing with quotidian annoyances like Large Adult Sons and being forced to go into the office, and dealing with large city traffic and cost of living. I find it almost poetic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

golden bubble posted:

I would assume that the supreme leader of the Taliban has a fairly standard approach for dealing with people who ignore his demands? A few public executions for nepotism might at least end up making the problem a little less direct and obvious.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I would assume that the supreme leader of the Taliban has a fairly standard approach for dealing with people who ignore his demands? A few public executions for nepotism might at least end up making the problem a little less direct and obvious.

They’re broadly not going to replace failsons with competent people. They’re going to replace failsons with some guy whose credentials are that he memorized the Koran really well and can rattle off notionally relevant hadiths. We’ll see if they can finish that big canal they are investing all of their capital on, and if successfully engineered, if it just ends up launching them into conflict with Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, like when Taliban v1 engineered a river that flowed into Iran into a depression instead.

E: Oh, surprisingly the American-Afghani government actually finished that project, in 2021. The Kamal Khan Dam. IIRC the v1 Taliban tried to redirect the Helmand river uselessly into a depression purely to spite the Iranians, although I can't find that now so maybe they didn't end up implementing it.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 20, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Dunno, he would probably need to rely on some universally agreed on shariah ruling to do that. These are not some sheepish bureaucrats, you know, they just spent twenty years fighting an occupation by the greatest military empire in the world and many of them lost several sons and other family members in the war. They probably feel they have deserved a little nepotism for their troubles.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Darth Walrus posted:

That sounds like a good way to turn a corruption problem into an uprising

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

golden bubble posted:

Stories like this and the previously reported stories about how Taliban are finding 9-5 jobs harsh make me laugh. Welcome to the rest of your lives lol.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.palladiummag.com/2023/02/23/the-west-lives-on-in-the-talibans-afghanistan/

quote:

Apart from the widely-hated ISKP, the Taliban faces virtually no organized opposition. The entire elite of the Republic era has fled abroad. Unlike the 1990s, when the northeast was always controlled by the Northern Alliance led by Massoud and Dostum, the government has unchallenged control of the entire country. Nor does any foreign power have the desire to involve itself in Afghan politics after the American experience. Even Pakistan, which has long meddled in Afghan affairs, has sought to extricate itself. There is no force inside Afghanistan strong enough to displace it, and no force outside Afghanistan that cares enough to interfere. It is hard to imagine a more complete resolution to the struggle over Afghanistan’s future.
And yet I could not help but detect a surprising fragility to Taliban rule. The Taliban had intrigued me because they, alone among the regimes of the global periphery, seemed capable of articulating an alternative civilizational vision, one that was not merely an antithesis or restatement of Western modernity. I had come to Afghanistan because I wanted to see something truly different from the West. But even in the Islamic Emirate, I could sense a creeping Westernization.

I saw it, above all else, in many local Afghans whom I met and befriended. These were not Western liberals: they had friends among the Taliban, and were quick to defend regime decisions I found abhorrent, like the destruction of the Bamiyan Buddhas. But these subjects of the Islamic Emirate could not be kept from watching Stranger Things or Game of Thrones or Japanese anime; they had a better knowledge of Breaking Bad than I did. On Twitter—they, like so many Afghans, were avid users—shared soyjack memes and called themselves “sigma males.” They talked about feminism, “LGBTQ,” and pronouns—strange things to complain about in a country where women can’t go to school. They were becoming Westerners: culture war, America’s most successful soft-power export, was their induction. The younger members of the Taliban, online enough to follow Andrew Tate, were not immune.

The Taliban don't even have enough state capacity to effectively ban Hillary and Michelle Obama's books. There's no way they can end nepotism.

quote:

In the bookstores of Kabul, at least, one can still find books by Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama; contraception and tobacco are available, and the Taliban has yet to regulate internet access like other Islamic governments.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 21, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

golden bubble posted:

https://www.palladiummag.com/2023/02/23/the-west-lives-on-in-the-talibans-afghanistan/

The Taliban don't even have enough state capacity to effectively ban Hillary and Michelle Obama's books. There's no way they can end nepotism.

Jesus, Taliban Andrew Tate fans seems like the most insufferable group of people

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's pretty appropriate since I believe Tate has talked about Islam being more of the 'correct' religion for him in that it lines up with his lovely worldview (the fundamentalist version, specifically).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Imagine that happening in America

https://twitter.com/Nadav_Eyal/status/1640110174554783745

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

In America it's possible for half the country to do it against the other half.

Actually, how popular are these reforms in Israel? I see the news about the enormous protests, but not about supporters. Are the supporters mostly outside the big cities?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I honestly don't know, but considering how some of the outspoken supporters are religious fascists, I would venture the guess that a good deal of their support can be found in haredim ghettos and settler areas.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
welp, the rabid dog of Sudan Hamidti (the lapdog of the UAE and Israel) has officially started a new sudanese civil war, he's now fighting the other military fascist Burhans regular military:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNyUyrR0PHo

https://twitter.com/AJENews/status/1647172900724547584?s=20

it's a civil war between two military factions, this will be a disaster for the normal people of sudan.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 15, 2023

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Is Hemedti really a lapdog if he has support of all the regional players, including Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE?

The Western powers are the ones lost here—what democracy is happening under the barrel of a gun right now? The US supporting the civilian council is nice and touchy-feely, but this is the multipolar world people wanted.

Their entire finance network flows through the UAE. You may have seen Al Jazeera's Gold Mafia exposé on Zimbabwe making waves this month. Sudan's entire illicit income is based on the same flows of gold.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

i fly airplanes posted:

Is Hemedti really a lapdog if he has support of all the regional players, including Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE?

The Western powers are the ones lost here—what democracy is happening under the barrel of a gun right now? The US supporting the civilian council is nice and touchy-feely, but this is the multipolar world people wanted.

Their entire finance network flows through the UAE. You may have seen Al Jazeera's Gold Mafia exposé on Zimbabwe making waves this month. Sudan's entire illicit income is based on the same flows of gold.

Burhan is the lapdog of egypt and KSA while hmedti is the lapdog if UAE and israel, this is a civil war that is caused by not only the personal greed of the military heads but also there is a real and growinf rift between KSA and UAE especially after the Yemen Debacle

On the plus side, this civil war is proving to people that signing a peace deal with israel is far from the magic spoon to prosperity the military goons claimed it was.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Al-Saqr posted:

Burhan is the lapdog of egypt and KSA while hmedti is the lapdog if UAE and israel, this is a civil war that is caused by not only the personal greed of the military heads but also there is a real and growinf rift between KSA and UAE especially after the Yemen Debacle

On the plus side, this civil war is proving to people that signing a peace deal with israel is far from the magic spoon to prosperity the military goons claimed it was.

https://arabcenterdc.org/resource/a-coup-cannot-serve-two-masters/ That is not my understanding of the situation, Hmdeti has pretty strong regional support from all actors. They're armed with Israeli technology.

Burhan's second visit after his instatement (after Egypt) was to the UAE : https://english.alarabiya.net/News/middle-east/2019/05/26/Sudan-military-council-chief-to-visit-UAE

I'm not sure why you are trying to frame this civil war as a power struggle between regional powers. If anything, this has been part of the undercurrent since the paramilitary was kicked out of the power sharing agreement, and the pro-democracy and civil council were left vulnerable. It's similar to the situation in Myanmar, if there's a comparison to be made.

EDIT: also I'm unsure what "military goons" you are talking about

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just catching up on the unfolding civil war in Sudan. What are the goals of this Hemedti guy and the RSF? Is this an attempted coup?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Erdogan seems to have had a heart attack live during an.interview and isn't doing well

https://twitter.com/S8gy2AEgVRHyS2Q/status/1651259755472601088

https://twitter.com/301military/status/1651291999268421633?t=vjBp7Px9-rwu_jlv013xAQ&s=19

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
god decided we had too much geopolitical stability at the moment

who would take over in the interim if he has to recover? is there an actual opposition party which might come out on top in the upcoming elections?

edit: https://www.politico.eu/article/recep-tayyip-erdogan-tv-interview-interrupted-due-to-stomach-ache/ the official line is that he had some sort of stomach bug

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 26, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Boy that would be a shake-up. Aren't elections just a few months away?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yeah...I don't see a heart attack anywhere really in the news..

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Heart attack stuff is just coming from a bunch of paid-for blue checks

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Yeah, rumour level right now but remarkable, and the election is weeks away, not months

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Thoughts and prayers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Heart attack stuff is just coming from a bunch of paid-for blue checks
That's how you know it's verified information!

Meanwhile also this happened:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-741306

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just catching up on the unfolding civil war in Sudan. What are the goals of this Hemedti guy and the RSF? Is this an attempted coup?

The RSF are the Janjaweed militia who spearheaded the Darfur genocide on behalf of the Sudanese government, and Hemedti is the former bandit warlord camel trader who's been their commander since 2013. The RSF helped the current military junta seize power in 2019, and now they're launching their own coup against their former allies because the junta didn't reward them sufficiently for their assistance.

Long story short, it's hot fash-on-fash action plus some of Sudan's usual simmering ethnic tensions.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the impression i've got from a couple of sources (notably https://newleftreview.org/sidecar/posts/gunshots-in-khartoum) is that this is a warlord realising that he's got one shot at power and taking it, because he's outside of the conventional power elite in the centre and will become marginalised if "normalisation" proceeds apace. i.e., his guys would be folded into the formal military, depriving him of his independent power base and allowing the khartoum elites to use their superior conventional political power to sideline or destroy him. he's judged the odds and has decided to make his bet, and now there's a weird pseudo-coup going on which could yet flare into a proper civil war

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Incredibly detailed longform reporting in the New Yorker today on the efforts of the wives of Sheikh Mohammed of the UAE to escape his control. Much of it's not news for those following this mess.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/08/the-fugitive-princesses-of-dubai

quote:

The next day, another plane flew over. By nightfall, all was calm, but Latifa had become unreachably silent, Jauhiainen said. At around 10 p.m., the two women descended to their cabin, and Latifa brushed her teeth in the cramped bathroom. As she emerged, the air exploded with a series of blasts. Boots pounded on the deck overhead. “They’ve found me,” Latifa said. The friends shut themselves in the bathroom and sent a string of S.O.S. messages. Soon, smoke was pouring in through the air vents and light fixtures. As they struggled for breath, Latifa said that she was sorry, and Jauhiainen hugged her. Then they stumbled from the room.

The darkness was sliced in all directions by the laser sights of assault rifles. Masked men seized the women and forced them up to the deck, where the captain and his crew lay bound and beaten. The floor was pooled with blood. Latifa’s hands were tied behind her back and she was thrown down, but she resisted: kicking, screaming, and clinging to the gunwales. As the men dragged her away, Jauhiainen heard her cry out, “Shoot me here! Don’t take me back.” Then the princess vanished overboard.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 2, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hello, I don't know where else I can ask this.

I just watched this 4k walking video uploaded yesterday, just completely by accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJwF__leSvU

There are maybe... 10% women covering their heads in it, all older women. What's the deal, did Iran put the brake on the moral police? Maybe I should find a walking video from 2019 to compare.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Certain parts of Tehran and the Caspian shore have been pretty much always like that. Maybe you keep a headscarf in your purse.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Well it says so right in the title - they're rich!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
The police patrols that directly enforce the clothing rules have largely disappeared since the protests. The enforcement strategy has shifted to surveillance and denial of services: requiring businesses to install cameras and then shutting them down if they serve women who don't follow the rules, suspending university enrollment for those women, preventing them from going through areas like subway gates or airport security, etc. And some pro-government people take things into their own hands, like the guy who threw yogurt on the heads of headscarfless women. The attacker and the women were later arrested and the shop was sanctioned.

The government's been forced into this position because of the protests, but using coercion to enforce the rules does seem like a more effective strategy in the long run than hated police units roaming the streets beating women to death. Or maybe they'll bring back the patrols as soon as they think they can get away with it.

Women would sometimes not follow the rules before the protests, especially in rich areas, but there's definitely been a visible increase in women not wearing the headscarf across the country. And government media is fixated on this issue (has english subs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzdbDUhpp-g&t=147s

rafington fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 9, 2023