Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

tater_salad posted:

Yeah Marshalls for semi pro and pro series should 100% get paid.

The hilarious thing to me is, if I go karting at my local track, the marshals are of course paid.

But the guy fishing Logan Sargent out of the gravel isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dudley posted:

The hilarious thing to me is, if I go karting at my local track, the marshals are of course paid.

But the guy fishing Logan Sargent out of the gravel isn't.

I remember in college there were fliers that said "prestige isn't a health plan"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If you have purchased a green ticket for LM24, ACO has started sending confirmation emails to learn what eco friendly transportation you will use. I'm going for the full masochist option of trains(which is still less painful of the electric car alternative i could use by then).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
the trains aren't too bad to get there, though the one out of paris to le mans can be real busy. and pray for no strikes

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilmucche posted:

the trains aren't too bad to get there, though the one out of paris to le mans can be real busy. and pray for no strikes

The first leg of the trip from Milano is on a Trenitalia line which i'm expecting to run. The other leg from Parigi to Le Mans is a Inoui on which i have far less confidence.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
aw man, i'm doing a very goofy thing for imsa watkins glen where i'm gonna bike the erie canal trail and then down south to the glen to get there, why didn't they have a green ticket option :mad:

(of course i'm taking a ride back with my friend after, but still, i'm getting there in an eco-friendly way...)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 13, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SlowBloke posted:

If you have purchased a green ticket for LM24, ACO has started sending confirmation emails to learn what eco friendly transportation you will use. I'm going for the full masochist option of trains(which is still less painful of the electric car alternative i could use by then).

They asked for the longest leg of the trip, so i uploaded the Bordeaux to Paris leg of my larger Barcelona to Le Mans choochoo itinerary? I guess I did this right? We will see how much they care.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Couple pieces of sports car news / upcoming races (or not, lol) for the weekend since it's now April and things are getting underway:

I'll try to drop anything else I see (especially YouTube links for series) in here later, but we're starting to get busy.

coconono posted:

NHRA’s marshalls are called Safety Safari and it’s a paid position. It’s a lot of “if this isn’t done the event can’t happen” work. Stuff like coordinating parking for trailers, track prep, incident response. All one team. They don’t get paid enough. And the pay scales down considerably for the same position attached to tracks instead of the tours.

The only realistic solution I can see is getting the surrounding communities to accept motorsports parks into their hearts the way they do other types of sporting stadiums. Probably moreso because getting race cars off public roads saves lives.

I think that exists for some series as the safety team (eg IndyCar) as rapid response to accidents, but there's also the corner marshals who are there to wave flags and communicate with race control over things going wrong, and those teams are generally volunteers. I think there's more necessity there for marshals for road courses than drag strips :v: but yes, 'paying' volunteers for their enthusiasm with good vantage points and no money isn't the greatest stance, it feels like a real relic of past times. I think the top series coordinate to get experienced corner workers from the national governing bodies, but there's also no reason those series can't pay for the time and efforts as well.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

harperdc posted:

I think there's more necessity there for marshals for road courses than drag strips :v:

Local yellow at the 330ft marker

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Unfortunately, Irish Hyundai WRC driver Craig Breen died from injuries suffered during a testing incident yesterday.

quote:

The Irish driver, 33, was preparing for the next round of the WRC – the Croatia Rally, which would have been his second outing of the 2023 season for Hyundai – when the accident occured.

Breen’s co-driver James Fulton escaped serious injury.

A statement from Hyundai read: “Hyundai Motorsport is deeply saddened to confirm that driver Craig Breen today lost his life following an accident during the pre-event test for Croatia Rally.

“Co-driver James Fulton was unharmed in the incident that occurred just after midday local time.

“Hyundai Motorsport sends its sincerest condolences to Craig’s family, friends and his many fans.

I don't know if photos or video are out there, but the suggestion in other places/stories is that it's a similar accident to what injured Robert Kubica and, more tragically, the incident Breen was in as a younger driver which took the life of his co-driver :smith:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WindyMan posted:

Local yellow at the 330ft marker

We need dudes spaced out along the track to run out and grab chunks of pistons and clutches that fly off.

A few years go in Dallas we had to tell fans repeatedly to throw trash into the bins because the safety guys were getting sick of chasing burger wrappers off the track.

Oh yeah, we're in Vegas for the 4wides. You wanna know what 4 top fuel dragsters sound like blowing their tires all at once? get your rear end to The Strip!

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

harperdc posted:

Unfortunately, Irish Hyundai WRC driver Craig Breen died from injuries suffered during a testing incident yesterday.

I don't know if photos or video are out there, but the suggestion in other places/stories is that it's a similar accident to what injured Robert Kubica and, more tragically, the incident Breen was in as a younger driver which took the life of his co-driver :smith:

Aw man, Breen always seemed like a hell of a good guy too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WEC 6 Hours of Portimao coverage starts in about an hour :siren:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

harperdc posted:

WEC 6 Hours of Portimao coverage starts in about an hour :siren:
I'm still busy with trivia, so I'll be recording it.

As a bonus, this lets me skip all the commercial nonsense on Eurosport.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm still busy with trivia, so I'll be recording it.

As a bonus, this lets me skip all the commercial nonsense on Eurosport.

Eurosport is streaming EWC and snookers, no coverage of Portimao.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Eurosport is streaming EWC and snookers, no coverage of Portimao.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

App didn't show it until now :/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also weirdly if you live in Australia fox is showing the ene of the Bike Endurance stuff.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Glickenhaus running amongst the P2 cars was...certainly something.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

algebra testes posted:

Also weirdly if you live in Australia fox is showing the ene of the Bike Endurance stuff.

Eurosport has just switched eurosport2 from EWC LeMans to WEC Portimao, maybe they'll switch too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

App didn't show it until now :/
That's from a third-party site, not an app - but ultimately it's still sourced from Eurosport, who suck at their IDs on their EPG, too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

That's from a third-party site, not an app - but ultimately it's still sourced from Eurosport, who suck at their IDs on their EPG, too.

I'm more than happy about the race being in a custom channel and not on the 1/2 channels with the epg listing. Custom event channels don't get any ads.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

SlowBloke posted:

Eurosport has just switched eurosport2 from EWC LeMans to WEC Portimao, maybe they'll switch too.

Unfortunately to watch WEC in Australia now you have to sign up for a streaming service and then pay extra for their sport service.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

The Goodwood Members Meeting is on this weekend too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmS5A_8zdlo

Bodywork is entirely optional

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

harperdc posted:

Rode by Michael Park's memorial yesterday in Tallinn, candles and flowers put there in memory of Breen.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Race over, all the hypercars(beside glick and vanwall) did a decent race which is a good sign for spa and lemans.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Best thing said during the Danish commentary was that Cadillac did impressively well on an European track, considering they probably didn't know where Portimão was without looking at a map.

I look forward to the coming hypercar races, because it was a lot closer than I expected it to be.
That being said, starting on cold tires during the night at Le Mans is gonna be terrifying.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Best thing said during the Danish commentary was that Cadillac did impressively well on an European track, considering they probably didn't know where Portimão was without looking at a map.

They've (Ganassi) won LeMans before, they'll probably be ok.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dudley posted:

They've (Ganassi) won LeMans before, they'll probably be ok.
Oh, I didn't realize they won LMGTE Pro in 2016 - that's cool.

I'm not even sure the commentary mentioned that it was the Ganassi team?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, they don't seem to push it, it's not like Penske who apparently get equal billing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Catching the shakedown stream of the Croatia WRC rally on youtube and lots of talk from the drivers and commentary about Craig Breen of course, all the cars have little trophies dedicated to him, its very touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNYVZ2owWKM

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Catching the shakedown stream of the Croatia WRC rally on youtube and lots of talk from the drivers and commentary about Craig Breen of course, all the cars have little trophies dedicated to him, its very touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNYVZ2owWKM

https://twitter.com/AmericanWRCfan/status/1648773609136197633

https://twitter.com/OfficialWRC/status/1648677605246156800

A few more details from before the rally started. Sounds like all of the teams have agreed to only have two points-paying cars at this rally as well, which is pretty nice as a sign of solidarity as well from the other factories.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

ELMS 4h of Barcelona starting now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfBAMZG-ifw

e; big ol' stack at the start

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's the first round of the BTCC season today.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

ELMS 4h of Barcelona starting now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfBAMZG-ifw

e; big ol' stack at the start

oh they're running the old layout at Barcelona without the chicane in the last sector too :toot:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

oh they're running the old layout at Barcelona without the chicane in the last sector too :toot:

f1 is too this year, only taken them nearly 2 decades to realise it is shite

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
More euro racing; GTs at Monza. One for Rossi fans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q8Y2WIIj0A

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Don't forget the nurburgring 24 qualification races

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFq3WlsVKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWImrS-k3wE

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Really good Super Formula race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Allegedly we’re doing 4wides in Charlotte tomorrow. Right now we have a great quartet of slip’n’slides and other assorted rain related attractions. Come out and get wet, mlord?