Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

It came off a little sexist, "Oh, women and their emotions" and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Splicer posted:

For a woman who says women should be meek and submissive she sure does express a lot of opinions.

Sarah Connor? Cancelled.
Ellen Ripley? Cancelled.
Princess Leia? Cancelled.
Bo Katan? Cancelled.
Captain Janeway? Cancelled.
Starbuck (2005)? Cancelled.
Brienne of Tarth? Cancelled.
Rey "Skywalker"? Cancelled.
Sabrina Fairchild? Cancelled.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Cancelled.

Imagine a life where all the media you can consume are properties where Kevin Sorbo had creative control.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Don't forget Xena Warrior Princess. ;) Lucy Lawless has been trolling the poo poo out of Kevin Sorbo on Twitter for years now

Here's one from just a few days ago
https://twitter.com/RealLucyLawless/status/1642961004933054464

Word has it that he's always been super mad that her spin-off show beat his in the ratings, got bigger budgets and won more awards

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Apr 17, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I keep forgetting Xena was a spinoff from Hercules. Are either of thkse worth watching nowadays, or have they aged like fine milk from a particularly diseased cow?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Randalor posted:

I keep forgetting Xena was a spinoff from Hercules. Are either of thkse worth watching nowadays, or have they aged like fine milk from a particularly diseased cow?

Ehh for being 3000 year old myths there’s some surprisingly progressive ideas

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Xena is good fun. You have to know what you're getting, it's kinda trashy, but it's still fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xena is dumb fun. Hercules is mostly just dumb. Did Jack of All Trades age badly? I legit have not watched it since first run and it was my very first intro to Bruce Campbell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhS5xMK845U

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

mind the walrus posted:

Xena is dumb fun. Hercules is mostly just dumb. Did Jack of All Trades age badly? I legit have not watched it since first run and it was my very first intro to Bruce Campbell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhS5xMK845U

I bought the DVD box set and couldn't make it past like two episodes. gently caress it is so awkwardly bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Via the comicbook movies thread in CD, someone mentioned Dwayne McDuffie and his satirical TNNT pitch:

.... which started a discussion about Night Thrasher

Everyone posted:

Not for nothing but Night Thrasher actually debuted as a Marvel character in Thor in Dec. of 1989. I don't recall him using a skateboard.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Let me jog your memory, lol

His action figure even comes with a skateboard!

E: some trivia from the link you posted:

quote:

Tom DeFalco based Night Thrasher on newsstand market research. One time he was visiting Marvel Comics' newsstand distributor he asked their representative if any particular magazines were selling to teenage boys. He pointed DeFalco to skateboarding magazines like Thrasher, which DeFalco studied and based Night Thrasher on them.

His name literally means 'Dark Skateboarder'

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

HopperUK posted:

Xena is good fun. You have to know what you're getting, it's kinda trashy, but it's still fun.

I seem to recall it got kind of bad in the latter seasons, which sadly IIRC was also when it got most overt with the queer subtext? Like I seem to remember it going more into Christian mythology and sort of taking itself a bit too seriously?
Also seem to remember Hercules having some good episodes set in the modern day? Or were those only on Xena? I know Xena had them, for sure, but I think they began on Herc?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

credburn posted:

It's called WrongThink, though. Is this not satire?

If all these idiots want to constantly reference 1984 they should at least get the Newspeak right. Wrongthink is ungoodspeakful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Croccers posted:

Yeah the game where you touch the screen to change her emotions at will (for the most part). Ok sure they worked in solid cartoon logic way, like Cry on a plant to make it grow, Rage to break through stuff but like why not make it Luigi? The game was pretty decent aside from that.
They did call it Vibes though and this was back in 05. When did Vibe check and Vibes become a cool term?

They already had multiple games where Luigi rescues Mario.

Super Princess Peach is a weird game. They have a whole thing with her talking umbrella that doesn't really go anywhere, and a lot of it is recycled Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World sprites. It's got almost fangame vibes. And yeah, the whole emotion thing is weird, though it's pretty interestingly played- one of the themes is that everyone's emotions are out of whack, so there's enemy variants that are crying or furious or happy and behave differently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HopperUK posted:

Until Ted Raimi shows up at the end of the first season and makes it completely loving unwatchable.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already had multiple games where Luigi rescues Mario.

Super Princess Peach is a weird game. They have a whole thing with her talking umbrella that doesn't really go anywhere, and a lot of it is recycled Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World sprites. It's got almost fangame vibes. And yeah, the whole emotion thing is weird, though it's pretty interestingly played- one of the themes is that everyone's emotions are out of whack, so there's enemy variants that are crying or furious or happy and behave differently.

It was a solid but forgettable platformer. I think one of the main reasons it's still remembered is that it was used as an example by Anita Sarkeesian in one of her first videos. Meaning that if some future historian is going to write about the rise of fascism in America, they are going to stumble on weird neckbeards triggered over the critique of a cartoon princess.

gently caress, the last decade was weird.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't forget Xena Warrior Princess. ;) Lucy Lawless has been trolling the poo poo out of Kevin Sorbo on Twitter for years now

Here's one from just a few days ago
https://twitter.com/RealLucyLawless/status/1642961004933054464

Word has it that he's always been super mad that her spin-off show beat his in the ratings, got bigger budgets and won more awards

I seem to recall Renée O'Connor is chud-adjacent too.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

Torquemada posted:

I seem to recall Renée O'Connor is chud-adjacent too.

Just saw that her last film was with the same company as God's Not Dead, so there's no way she's not a zealot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Her Instagram seems to be strongly LGBTQ+ supportive, strongly BLM, she's a huge fan of Greta Thunberg and Kamala Harris, etc.. :shrug:
https://www.instagram.com/realreneeoconnor/?hl=en

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Squashy posted:

Just saw that her last film was with the same company as God's Not Dead, so there's no way she's not a zealot

She's done a couple at least, and talked about them on Fox News, which fits my definition of adjacent. I'm willing to adjust my opinion though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On Xena. The producers at the time were fervently against Xena and Gabrielle being explicitly a couple. Due to the homophobia of the time, (Golly aren't we all glad that the homophobia problem in mainstream media has been eradicated eh?)

But the writers, actors, and everyone else involved made sure that the show went all the way up to having them all but hold hands, and whilst lovingly looking in each others eyes turn to the camera and say "we are two women in a romantic relationship. We enjoy a sexual love for each other."

And because they didn't take that one list final step, the producers and censors were fine with it and allowed it to run, silly camp, obviously gay show that it was. I also seem to remember that both the stars themselves have said that they played the two of them as lovers.

And to this day it remains like a Top Gun situation where homophobes will watch the show about two lesbians yet claim to their dying breath that they were just good friends.

(On the Top Gun stuff. I had an argument at work once with a bloke who said there was absolutely nothing gay about a film where glistening shirtless muscley handsome men cavort playing beach volleyball, before retiring to the locker room to bitch about each other.)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BrigadierSensible posted:

And to this day it remains like a Top Gun situation where homophobes will watch the show about two lesbians yet claim to their dying breath that they were just good friends.

(On the Top Gun stuff. I had an argument at work once with a bloke who said there was absolutely nothing gay about a film where glistening shirtless muscley handsome men cavort playing beach volleyball, before retiring to the locker room to bitch about each other.)

I'm not disagreeing with you about Top Gun, but we have a problem in this country/western culture where men can't really be friends with each other the way women can without it being perceived as 'gay'. I don't know what the solution is.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
Renee O'Connor keeps coming up due to that, and I'll defend Gabriella here. As someone already pointed out, her social media is very supportive of LGBT+ and BLM and we don't have any reason to doubt the sincerity of that.

She has done one movie for the Christian film studio Pure Flix. It's true that Pure Flix has people like Kevin Sorbo and Melissa Joan Hart who are all about that poo poo, but their movies also have tons of character actors who aren't chuds who are there because actors need/want to work and it's a paying gig. The film industry isn't like other types of work, work is infamously unreliable and actors and crew members work on films and shows that aren't reflective of their values or are made by studios that aren't in sync with their views either. It's not like Gwyneth Paltrow endorses Harvey Weinstein because she appeared in movies produced by Miramax. Pure Flix also specifically notes that they work with cast and crew of all faiths. You can argue it was a bad decision, and maybe it was, but I don't think it's fair to lump her in with a bunch of shitheads for it.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/xena-warrior-princess-sidekick-renee-oconnor-talks-starring-in-a-faith-based-film

This was the only interview I could find on Fox News about it and it's a pretty boilerplate "actress in a movie speaks positively of the movie and says everyone is welcome to watch it" type of interview, not some wild-eyed zealotry. Any professional who worked on a movie would say the same thing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

I like how the love interest in Top Gun starts dressing like one of the boys before Cruise gets really interested.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you about Top Gun, but we have a problem in this country/western culture where men can't really be friends with each other the way women can without it being perceived as 'gay'. I don't know what the solution is.

The problem with the gay thesis of top gun is that half the run time is devoted to a heterosexual romance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spazzle posted:

The problem with the gay thesis of top gun is that half the run time is devoted to a heterosexual romance.

I hate to break it to you, but "highway through the danger zone" is a euphemism.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dopilsya posted:

It's true that Pure Flix has people like Kevin Sorbo and Melissa Joan Hart who are all about that poo poo,

Wait, Melissa Joan Hart is a chud? Well that sucks. My wife likes Sabrina.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Randalor posted:

Wait, Melissa Joan Hart is a chud? Well that sucks. My wife likes Sabrina.

Has been for ages. She campaigned for Bush through the 2000s.

Edit: why the gently caress do I remember seeing a d lister endorse W in like 2003.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I recently mentioned Xena after my daughter whipped a frisbee like a chakra. She's like, who? So I explained she was a badass warrior queen. Then I explained it spun off Hercules. Then I had to explain Hercules was a "real" myth but Xena wasn't "real", "just a story" that it was based off "real myths" but Hercules was based off myths that were "real" and the conversation got real confusing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Has been for ages. She campaigned for Bush through the 2000s.

Edit: why the gently caress do I remember seeing a d lister endorse W in like 2003.

Huh, that's unfortunate. I'm willing to forgive people campaigning for Bush in the early 00's cause 9/11 broke a lot of people, but it's unfortunate that she's decided that was her hole, it was made for her.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Beachcomber posted:

The underlying problem here lies not with those who see top gun as gay but with those who think being seen as gay is so terrible that they can't risk having a friend because of it. Like that societal rot goes loving deep and is not caused by people reading top gun as gay

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Beachcomber posted:

Hell, when i was a kid people would tease little boys for liking girls. I remember that being a thing when i was a kid, like four or five, if i played with a girl my aunts or older sister would be unrelenting, making fun of me, trying to force us to kiss for pictures that the would pull out later to embarrass me with, real weird poo poo, and it felt pretty common. I always think of that whenever someone tells a story about a little boy hitting a girl and adults playing it off as "it's a love tap, he likes her!". I just don't get it, we connected affection to humiliation for months now he lashes out? whats up with that?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Liking someone strongly affects you and makes you act in strange irrational ways, such as hitting them. That’s where the word “affection” comes from.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Liking someone strongly affects you and makes you act in strange irrational ways, such as hitting them. That’s where the word “affection” comes from.

More like oldblameless

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Hell, when i was a kid people would tease little boys for liking girls. I remember that being a thing when i was a kid, like four or five, if i played with a girl my aunts or older sister would be unrelenting, making fun of me, trying to force us to kiss for pictures that the would pull out later to embarrass me with, real weird poo poo, and it felt pretty common. I always think of that whenever someone tells a story about a little boy hitting a girl and adults playing it off as "it's a love tap, he likes her!". I just don't get it, we connected affection to humiliation for months now he lashes out? whats up with that?

Buddy, wait til you see how far anime has taken this poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
fr fr someone weebier than me please explain bulma/chi-chi/goku in OG db

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

This poo poo sucks and the type of people you can imagine wouldn't get that is harmful still do it. Happened all the time in my family growing up where if you were friends with a girl, you would be made fun of. When my grandpa tried to pull it on my zoomer little brother (making him kiss a girl friend) I shut that poo poo down and he got offended about it. No more. Not another generation of gay panic. Not one.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Apr 17, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Goku is a brain-damaged alien who doesn't know what sex or romantic love is and only barely understands that there are different genders

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Bulma was a gun-toting psycho genius who was hunting down dragon balls so she could wish for a boyfriend, got a boyfriend in Yamcha during the search. Pops up every so often after the first arc.

Chi-Chi- daughter of one of Master Roshi's students, first introduced as a child slightly younger than Goku and proposed to him, Goku accepted. Several years later, a grown-up Chi-Chi entered the World's Strongest tournament and made it into the Top 8. Fights Goku and loses but reminded him of his promise. Series ends with them flying off together on the cloud.

Goku- Indestructible monkey-boy, happy-go-lucky idiot who just wants to get stronger, have good fights, eat good food and wants everyone to get along. Wins over the son of the Demon King through the power of being obnoxiously good.

This is just based off of the OG DragonBall, before "Oops, all aliens" became the main plot.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Goku is a brain-damaged alien who doesn't know what sex or romantic love is and only barely understands that there are different genders

Despite this, he has a wife, two kids, and a fight-husband who is a prince.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

Dopilsya posted:

Renee O'Connor keeps coming up due to that, and I'll defend Gabriella here. As someone already pointed out, her social media is very supportive of LGBT+ and BLM and we don't have any reason to doubt the sincerity of that

Well, I'm sorry I jumped to a poor conclusion on that, I do like her character. 🙂 Learning what Melissa Joan Hart was into made me sad, because she was totally a childhood crush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

GreenMetalSun posted:

Despite this, he has a wife, two kids, and a fight-husband who is a prince.

But he's also a literal dead beat dad