Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

crepeface posted:

only partially related, but im lollin' at this sy hersh interview in contrast to ames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ev4cMILOXc

if anything he's a harder rear end on this one lol

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

lol he kinda cut her down to size a little bit there. "lemme tell you something about my country... my sources swore an oath to the constitution... not the president"

all the presidents men moment right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

all the presidents men moment right there

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Not So Fast posted:

I increasingly feel like the only reason Seymour Hersh was a hardass in RWN was because of how star-eyed Ames was.

"I'm doing this interview as a favour" *proceeds to give an interview to every other non-MSM source

Ames: I'm a big fan of yours!
Hersh: And I took that personally.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Timestamp but lol insane way to see a ref to Ames and the Exiled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51jv6ns5jZ0&t=1140s

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/reelCheburashka/status/1640160516482949120?t=IzPMBQD9EUMDbXkf1cit7g&s=19

Tracks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's beautiful

I love AI now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

genuinely funny

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

a little stilted but its got the spirit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

genuinely funny

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Anybody know why the new episodes are showing up on PodBean but not frigging Patreon? I’m funding John’s trip around the world so it’s a bit annoying.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Remulak posted:

Anybody know why the new episodes are showing up on PodBean but not frigging Patreon? I’m funding John’s trip around the world so it’s a bit annoying.

Which episodes? I see up to 372 in my inbox.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Iraw War episodes have been great. I am enjoying them ragging on the liberal media ghouls, I would listen to a whole podcast about that.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

genericnick posted:

Which episodes? I see up to 372 in my inbox.

Nothing after Hersh shows up in ‘Posts’ even though other, cheaper podcasts show for every release. As fun as it would be to have John do tech support I’ll take it up with Patreon.

No newsletters since 2022 either, hmm.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Remulak posted:

Nothing after Hersh shows up in ‘Posts’ even though other, cheaper podcasts show for every release. As fun as it would be to have John do tech support I’ll take it up with Patreon.

No newsletters since 2022 either, hmm.

I had to update my patreon rss when re-payment failed because patreon payment system is kinda bad

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

John is sounding really rough on the latest episode

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Omnicarus posted:

John is sounding really rough on the latest episode
Yeah rough on Taibbi!

God I loved that part.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the older I get the more I parasocially identify with them lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Centrist Committee posted:

learning that John's two favorite fiction authors are also my favorite fiction authors was a trip

I could listen to him go off on the depravity and banality of literature about new England divorcees for hours

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Centrist Committee posted:

John Dolan wished me a happy birthday on facebook a few years ago and it made my day.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Greg Legg posted:

John Dolan wished me a happy birthday on facebook a few years ago and it made my day.

:3:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

john dolans favorite poet is wallace stevens and,hell, same here

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

john dolans favorite poet is wallace stevens and,hell, same here

great poet

recently learned about this sadly

Stevens's contempt for people of African descent may be evident in various ways, e.g., his use of the phrase "friend of the family mystics" in his poem "Prelude to Objects", and the title of his poem "Like Decorations on a friend of the family Cemetery". Too, "It happened during the meeting of the National Book Award committee that gave the poetry prize to Marianne Moore. [F]ive [judges, including] Wallace Stevens ... passed the time looking at photographs of previous meetings of National Book Award judges. Gwendolyn Brooks appeared in one of these. On seeing the photo, Stevens remarked, 'Who’s the coon?' ... Noticing the reaction of the group to his question, he asked, 'I know you don’t like to hear people call a lady a coon, but who is it?'”[84]

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:kstare:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

still less of a problematic fave than celine lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Remulak posted:

Yeah rough on Taibbi!

God I loved that part.

which ep is this? I'm behind!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dreylad posted:

which ep is this? I'm behind!

Radio War Nerd EP 373– World of Wars: The Insulted & The Humiliated

quote:

Recorded: April 11, 2023 The War Nerd & Ames catch up on current war-related events: toothaches, border crossings, Taibbi's humiliating thrashings, peace outbreak in Yemen, US diplomacy fails, the never-ending Bakhmut battle & more... Total time: 1:29:20 Direct link to this episode's mp3 here

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

lobster shirt posted:

callback to anibale telling them about the fascist groups named after authors, one of whom was celine.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Was very proud a little over a year ago when John fav'ed a reply I made that said Russia would have won the war by now if they had attacked with hiluxes.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

he was my favourite writer at some point when i was in high school lol (never read the pamphlets and all poo poo though)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tristeham posted:

he was my favourite writer at some point when i was in high school lol (never read the pamphlets and all poo poo though)

i still read journey to the end of the night every year or two lol, its a wonderful book and every reread i find something funny that i missed the last time around. great book. celine probably should have been executed after ww2 though.

just the idea of a guy who wrote pamphlets so shockingly and violently anti-semitic that the nazi propaganda chief in paris wasl ike "this guy is crazy and needs to take it down a notch" really beggars the imagination lol.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

makes me think too of like how there were SS guys who visited the serb and bosniak extermination camps set up by the independent state of croatia who were like "these croatian guys are SICK!!!"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Irrationally irritated at Part 3 of the Iraq war retrospective where they talk about A Few God Men. The movie is execrable for tons of reasons but they missed the entire point; the Nicholson character being bad and wrong is the text of the movie. Sure, the movie was misread by assholes and people that believe Oliver North, and that’s indeed a failing, but for gently caress’s sake that was NOT the intent.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Remulak posted:

Irrationally irritated at Part 3 of the Iraq war retrospective where they talk about A Few God Men. The movie is execrable for tons of reasons but they missed the entire point; the Nicholson character being bad and wrong is the text of the movie. Sure, the movie was misread by assholes and people that believe Oliver North, and that’s indeed a failing, but for gently caress’s sake that was NOT the intent.

Yeah, they brought it up in a previous episode, too. Sure lots of people cheered on Nicholson's character, but as written he wasn't the hero/correct. Tom Cruise as the JAG officer putting him in jail was written as the protagonist who provoked Nicholson into a self-incriminating meltdown on the stand.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
If anything, they went soft on Taibbi. Or maybe this was recorded before Matt ended up on Truth loving Social and had his material deleted by Melon.

At this point it's a countdown before he's sitting across from Dave Rubin or Andrew Tate, telling of how he escaped the commie Matrix.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's that Aaron Sorkin dialogue fetish in the one place it kinda-works (courtroom drama), but also his fetish for individuals' morality doing verbal battle in artificially neutral contexts over events that are inherently institutional/social in nature. It can be fun when it's "does the book say where the mess hall is?" stuff but the bloodless unreality sure makes drunk-uncle "I HAVE TO KILL RECRUITS TO KEEP YOU SNOWFLAKES SAFE FROM CUBANS" stuff seem compelling!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gotta have someone like fincher who can rein him in and use sorkin's skills to the film's advantage

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sephyr posted:

If anything, they went soft on Taibbi. Or maybe this was recorded before Matt ended up on Truth loving Social and had his material deleted by Melon.

At this point it's a countdown before he's sitting across from Dave Rubin or Andrew Tate, telling of how he escaped the commie Matrix.

Yeah they did. John is way more gossipy about it than Mark lol.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
John had happily reached the stage of his life in which his "I don't have to give a gently caress" energy outweighs his adorable "I''m just a meek lovable weird guy doomed to wander the Earth" vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/iwrite4jacobin/status/1649193408890642433?cxt=HHwWgoC97dyqjuMtAAAA