Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Unless this thread is trying to breed sumo riders...which is awesome 😂

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Who the gently caress wants to sit on the highway on a motorcycle at 80mph for hours on end.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Who the gently caress wants to sit on the highway on a motorcycle at 80mph for hours on end.

Someone who doesn't have a whole lot of better options.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

On the right bike its downright enjoyable

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Someone who doesn't have a whole lot of better options.

Someone who would die of shame if they were caught trailering their bike to a place where turns exist

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

On the right bike its downright enjoyable

Maybe I will eat my words when I buy a hypothetical future Africa Twin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ahem, sometimes you need to get on the highway to get to better stuff

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Maybe I will eat my words when I buy a hypothetical future Africa Twin

Having ridden an Africa twin over multiple days of highway touring, it is Not The Right Bike without considerable mods, not the least of which being replacing the awful saddle sore inducing seat and brain vibrating non-adjustable windshield.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The best thing about owning an enduro/dual sport is not giving a poo poo if you drop it. This is a huge plus for new riders.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
So I visited a dealership and they said that Yamaha has low production so they never have any MT03’s, they are sold immediately. They showed me a pre owned Yamaha R3 and a new adventure bike the Kawasaki Versys-X. The adventure bike seemed better on my flamingo legs and still low hp for ya boy the newbie, and strangely was basically the same price as the R3’s. They both appear to have ABS. Any thoughts on those bikes?

Ulf posted:

You don’t have to take such absolutist advice. It’s best to match what you actually want from your bike with what the bike excels at.

For various reasons the strengths of each manufacturer tends to match up on national, or at least cultural lines. Japanese makers focus on reliability and being boring in various ways. British bikes focus on looking good while parked. American bikes match best with beer, leather, and the US interstate system. Italian bikes focus on soul, bad software, and sounding like something is broken. Austrian bikes are about fanaticism and using every part of the bike as a wear item.

Of all these, the benefits of a Japanese bike are generally best for new riders but if you’re really into the look of a Triumph or the mystique of a Ducati’s dry clutch or the lightness and power of a KTM then we shouldn’t steer everyone away, just go into it with eyes open.

S-tier SA posting. Nice work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The best thing about owning an enduro/dual sport is not giving a poo poo if you drop it. This is a huge plus for new riders.

They're also easier to pick up!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vino posted:

So I visited a dealership and they said that Yamaha has low production so they never have any MT03’s, they are sold immediately. They showed me a pre owned Yamaha R3 and a new adventure bike the Kawasaki Versys-X. The adventure bike seemed better on my flamingo legs and still low hp for ya boy the newbie, and strangely was basically the same price as the R3’s. They both appear to have ABS. Any thoughts on those bikes?

Both are good bikes, just get the one you like more

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Versys will be easier on your legs. I’m 6’4 and ride an MT03… it’s a little cramped in the legs after a few hours and I’m pretty spry.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The Versus has a much better riding position, very neutral. It's a great learning tool, it won't do you wrong

But don't buy brand new anything is your first bike, you are going to eff it up many times over as you learn. Just buy one that's already fell down a few times and is priced accordingly

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
At this place they are basically the same price. I could order on one of those deliver a bike to you sites and I could probably get a better price, if I trust them not to deliver me a lemon. I am working under the assumption that an established dealer is more incentivized to make sure the bike won’t fall apart once it gets in my garage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vino posted:

At this place they are basically the same price. I could order on one of those deliver a bike to you sites and I could probably get a better price, if I trust them not to deliver me a lemon. I am working under the assumption that an established dealer is more incentivized to make sure the bike won’t fall apart once it gets in my garage.

Only barely just tbh

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Vino posted:

Versys X 300? That is my bike. I like it. Decent on gas, though it drops a little efficiency at high speeds. It is fast enough if you use all the gears. I am going to keep it long term, and will probably get a track toy next year. I have no complaints. I wanted the CB500x but it was out of stock everywhere.

The suspension on the Versys X 300 is not optimal for serious offroad or aggressive track riding. It'll take any road condition like a champ though. The suspension thing is true for any cheaper bike though.

I am attempting an ATV park in a couple weeks on it with knobbies and upgraded suspension. We'll see how that goes.

The Shinko 705s it comes with are ok for what they are, mostly on road tires.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Nitrox posted:

But don't buy brand new anything is your first bike, you are going to eff it up many times over as you learn. Just buy one that's already fell down a few times and is priced accordingly

unless you have some local friends who are familiar with motorcycles, i would softly challenge this advice. if you go used, i suggest getting something from a real dealer and not some anon on craigslist or cycletrader. when you are new to the game it can be hard to tell if there is anything frustratingly or dangerously wrong with a used bike. my first bike came with 11 year old tires because i didn't know you could just check the codes printed right on the sidewall.

i definitely agree with the chorus that your first bike should be light. certainly sub-400lbs

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Reflecting on my SIX MONTHS of experience: I bought a two year old used bike from a rich guy with marching orders from the wife to sell his bike, so it was low mileage and with dealer service records the entire way. I endorse that over buying a broken bike. But also, a lot of people have more money than me and paying for a new bike is worth avoiding the hassle of potential repairs. Seems like a valid preference?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

With current prices yeah I don’t think you’ll save a ton of money buying a used bike, especially in an enormous metro area with a large presence of motorcyclists and a year-round riding season. How much it’s worth the effort is up to you. I bought my first bike new. Even though I immediately crashed it, I don’t regret it at all.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Toe Rag posted:

. Even though immediately crashed it, I don’t regret it at all.

Thread title

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

Even though I immediately crashed it, I don’t regret it at all.
My buying decision might have been slightly influenced from me dropping it during the test ride... Still very happy with it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Llewellyn posted:

My buying decision might have been slightly influenced from me dropping it during the test ride... Still very happy with it.

Great image in my head.

*Confidently steps away from the dropped bike.

"mmmh no I do not think this motorcycle is for me. Too dropsy!

So do you have anything else?"

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I dropped the FJR in the driveway the day after I bought it. :c00l:

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
From my recent LA bike shopping experience the deal appears to be that at dealerships preowned bikes are priced similarly to new bikes and will only buy preowned bikes at a steep discount but if you're a bit of a salesman you should be able to sell it on your own for close to what the dealership asks for and keep the difference for yourself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re not wrong

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I am attempting an ATV park in a couple weeks on it with knobbies and upgraded suspension. We'll see how that goes.

You should get the versys x 300. Juat got back from the ATV park. I rode 100 miles there all highway, spent a few hours climbing hills, going over tree roots, rocks in the woods...trying not to die...juat got back.

I knew I was going to ride locally a lot, and wanted to try dirt. The Versys X 300 is my favorite thing.

It's good for tall people, good for commuting. It can do more than flat trails, I was absolutely catching some air :lol:. Not stock tires or front suspension though.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Loud pipes do not save lives, that is one of the many coping strategies employed by people who suck at riding.

I agree with this in principle, but my flatmate has a tiny electric motorcycle and *yanks tie* I tells ya I get no respect on that thing. Dickheads merging into me all day long.

Luckily it's so absurdly small and manoeuvrable that it's a lot easier / fun to ride around them in city traffic than it would be on my MTS (which drivers in traffic jams objectively do give more space to because it's moar bigger and moar louder).

The experience of riding the little electric thing fast is an absolute blast, though. Because I can't hear it rev, whatever speed it can muster feels effortless (even through it's giving it everything it's got to get up to 80km/hr).

prukinski fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 17, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Is the KTM 690 SMC as good as it looks on paper? Light, torquey, decent on vibration, longish service intervals? Is it a good bike?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Is the KTM 690 SMC as good as it looks on paper? Light, torquey, decent on vibration, longish service intervals? Is it a good bike?

I have a 2018 Husky 701 (basically a white 690).

Light - Yes
Torquey - YES
Decent on vibration - Yes
Longish service intervals - Yes, but keep an eye on the oil level, it's a big thumper and they do burn some
Is it a good bike? Overall, Yes. People LOVE to nitpick, especially on the internet. Biggest issue with mine was the clutch slave failing (in the garage, fortunately). UNfortunately, the replacement also then poo poo the bed out of warranty, but the same dealer was good enough to replace it again and bill Husky. If it happens again, I have an aftermarket slave cylinder that I'm going to put in.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Captain McAllister posted:

Biggest issue with mine was the clutch slave failing (in the garage, fortunately). UNfortunately, the replacement also then poo poo the bed out of warranty, but the same dealer was good enough to replace it again and bill Husky. If it happens again, I have an aftermarket slave cylinder that I'm going to put in.

Is this a common issue? My friend bought a 690 Enduro and the clutch slave failed before the 600 mile service.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

Is this a common issue? My friend bought a 690 Enduro and the clutch slave failed before the 600 mile service.

Yeah. To the point where Husky _finally_ issued a recall.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

They are insanely unreliable compared to a Japanese bike in the same category. Otherwise yeah. In my experience you don't get to realize the benefits of long service intervals because you run out of oil first.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have the 690 Duke, it's light and torquey and had gobs of power for the weight. I think my biggest complaint about it would be the engine lugging below like 3k RPM, not sure if newer engines still have this (mine is a 2017 maybe it's just a single cylinder thing) but otherwise the rattles aren't that bad, fun around town, not great on the highway but good enough.

Sounds like I should lookup how to do my clutch slave is what I am hearing. I bought mine with 2k miles and I'm at 4k right now.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Everyone needs to be an owner of a 690 platform at some point in their riding career so they can figure out what their personal acceptability of unreliability/fun ratio is and then either go japanese or italian from there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Italian bikes are more reliable than orange ones nowadays!!!

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The most unreliable bike in my garage is this dumb ol' triumph daytona

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The most unreliable bike in my garage is this dumb ol' triumph daytona

Very normal, the triumph triples are all terrible from a reliability standpoint

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The neediest bike in my garage, by far, is my KTM 250. But it's also 22 years old now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Italian bikes are more reliable than orange ones nowadays!!!

I'm off out to buy a Slavvy-approved Aprilia right now before he changes his mind!