Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how's RE4 remake on Deck? I'm currently playing through the HD edition of the original on Deck, it's so good. One of my favourite games ever.

Fantastic. I got it to a locked 40fps fairly easily but I hear you can get it to 60 with not that much more tinkering. That's without massively compromising on visual fidelity or quality, either.

Trying to play the Dead Space remake on Deck spoiled the experience a little for me as I never got it to a place where I was happy with the performance or stability, but RE4 was a vastly better experience all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Fantastic. I got it to a locked 40fps fairly easily but I hear you can get it to 60 with not that much more tinkering. That's without massively compromising on visual fidelity or quality, either.

Trying to play the Dead Space remake on Deck spoiled the experience a little for me as I never got it to a place where I was happy with the performance or stability, but RE4 was a vastly better experience all around.

Thanks! I have loads of Steam Wallet money at the moment so I'm debating whether or not to get it (and Dead Space) on Deck or on my series X

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Thanks! I have loads of Steam Wallet money at the moment so I'm debating whether or not to get it (and Dead Space) on Deck or on my series X

I think you're safe to go with preference for REmake 4. If Series X is an option then that's your eye candy route, but it looks and plays drat fine on Deck. I put 35 hours into RE4 on Deck and didn't spend a single minute of that time wishing I was playing it anywhere else.

Other people might but personally I'd struggle to recommend Dead Space on Deck. Maybe I'm just being fussy but.. eh. RE4 turning out so well as a Deck game just makes Dead Space even more disappointing. I believe the PC version has some inherent issues with stuttering etc even on beefy rigs so Series X might be the way to go there anyway. I'd say you're going to have a great time with RE4 regardless of where you play it, Deck very much included, but Dead Space deserves a better experience than Deck (and perhaps even the PC version in general right now?) can offer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Monster train is great on deck. I heard it was like slay the spire and decent so I picked it up when it was on sale for a few bucks. It warns that the text is small but I've not had a problem anywhere and there is a UI setting to increase it further if needed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

Monster train is great on deck. I heard it was like slay the spire and decent so I picked it up when it was on sale for a few bucks. It warns that the text is small but I've not had a problem anywhere and there is a UI setting to increase it further if needed.

I got it after playing loads of STS but I wasn't really feeling Monster Train. Gave it a few hours but it didn't do it for me. I wasn't a fan of the Layers/Floors gimmick.

Bumhead posted:

I think you're safe to go with preference for REmake 4. If Series X is an option then that's your eye candy route, but it looks and plays drat fine on Deck. I put 35 hours into RE4 on Deck and didn't spend a single minute of that time wishing I was playing it anywhere else.

Other people might but personally I'd struggle to recommend Dead Space on Deck. Maybe I'm just being fussy but.. eh. RE4 turning out so well as a Deck game just makes Dead Space even more disappointing. I believe the PC version has some inherent issues with stuttering etc even on beefy rigs so Series X might be the way to go there anyway. I'd say you're going to have a great time with RE4 regardless of where you play it, Deck very much included, but Dead Space deserves a better experience than Deck (and perhaps even the PC version in general right now?) can offer.

Cool, thanks for all the detail. I might get DS on Series X and Resi4 on Deck in that case

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got it after playing loads of STS but I wasn't really feeling Monster Train. Gave it a few hours but it didn't do it for me. I wasn't a fan of the Layers/Floors gimmick.

Yeah I felt the same.

It’s the only game I’ve ever refunded.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Eh, to each their own. Kind of reminds me of Gwent mashed with slay the spire in a way. I'm not far into it but I like it thus far.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I finally got my Gundam Edition Skin for my Steam Deck, and spent like 90 minutes last night applying it.

It was *far* more complicated than dBrand skins... And I made quite a few errors: there are uneven gaps between the decals, and some creases that wouldn't go away even with judicious application of hair dryer heat.

I was actually pretty down on myself about it when I finished last night, because the guy applying it in the guide video I watched did an absolutely perfect job with no apparent errors.

But, after sleeping on it, it's not terrible at all. You probably wouldn't notice the issues if you weren't looking for them.

Only 2 things I'm still unsure about :

1. How the glossy finish of the decals will feel over longer play sessions.

2. The cutouts for the ABXY buttons aren't lined up perfectly, and as a result there was some sticking on the B button. I did a very small trim job with a (very dull as it turned out) Exacto Knife, and it doesn't appear to be sticking, but it's still worrisome.

The end result:

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Bumhead posted:

Bumhead could you some details as to the tinker steps you did take? I couldnt get it running anything close to 40 without having the resolution so low that the crosshair dissapeared?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think monster train is a fast food-y kinda slay the spire with way more degenerative strategies and readily available synergies. i really liked it but i've never gone back to it after finishing ascension 25, unlike sts which i've kept coming back to for years and has a much higher skill ceiling (and is just much more difficult).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I won't spoil it for anyone who doesn't know, but I'm glad that the boss that was removed from REm4ke (yes, that's how I'm writing it :colbert:) was THAT one. That's the one that I always forget when thinking about every boss encounter.

Probably because it sucks.

I have a weird relationship with RE4; I truly love it, through and through... except for the sliding puzzle... And the krauser sand village fight.... And the hedge maze... And getting locked in a cage with a garrador... And the lake monster, and....

It's like having a relative, like a child, who you truly love, but who regularly does stuff to piss you off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Annath posted:

The end result:

That looks really good, Deck-friend. Time to add some battle damage!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

how's RE4 remake on Deck? I'm currently playing through the HD edition of the original on Deck, it's so good. One of my favourite games ever.

Chiming it because I just beat it last night and it was wonderful. Worth every cent for the chance to play wherever I want.

You’re going to have to tweak some settings if you’re like me and want to get to decent fps with good battery but it’s doable. Scoped weapons will also kill performance but I got along fine because the game lets you un-attach them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah that Gundam deck looks pretty rad

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I leave tomorrow to start indoc training for a new job, gonna be in a hotel for 15 days. I’ve decided to take and play Outer Wilds after going all this time without a single thing being spoiled.

Stoked.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That looks great, definitely don’t beat yourself up about it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hit your deck with some Tamiya liner to really make it pop now.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

Suburban Dad posted:

Eh, to each their own. Kind of reminds me of Gwent mashed with slay the spire in a way. I'm not far into it but I like it thus far.

I would probably still be playing Gwent if they hadn't completely reworked it the second time. Standalone Gwent 1.0 was great, but the second iteration felt much less unique and evocative.

Annath posted:

The end result:

I don't know a drat about Gundam, but that's sick. Never cared at all for decals, but some of the ones for the SD have had me sorely tempted.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I don’t know Gundam stuff but this pic is activating the “toy” center of my brain hard. When I was a baby I had so much Fisher Price stuff with that color palette.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Rolo posted:

I don’t know Gundam stuff but this pic is activating the “toy” center of my brain hard. When I was a baby I had so much Fisher Price stuff with that color palette.

The guy who made Gundam really wanted the robot to look like a realistic weapon of war, but Bandai insisted it be toy-colored (red, white, blue & gold) so kids would buy it so this checks out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Saint Freak posted:

Hit your deck with some Tamiya liner to really make it pop now.

What's that?

Rolo posted:

It's a very distinctive color pallette. I've been a big Gundam since I was a kid. Although I've never done any of the models.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that looks great!

I’m never in a million years going to try this though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats my opinion on deck skins. I think a lot of them look really cool, but I aint doing that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also rumors are heavily pointing toward the ROG Ally coming out “soon” and being priced competitively with the high end steam market.

It could really shake things up if that’s the case. It’s also rumored that Microsoft has kicked in some cash to bring the price down.

I’ll be buying one either way as I want a dedicated windows handheld. (The win max 2 is ok)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'd pay not to have to use windows, which is why i got a deck

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hate using desktop mode, not because it's linux but because I don't want to use a desktop for video games. The new thing being Windows is a negative mark, even if some games will end up working better on native Windows.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What if steam deck but with windows and a 5 minute battery life

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

and zero support

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would like to state that Terror of Hemasaurus is a very good deck game. Runs fantastic, the controls are perfectly set up for it. Its what Rampage on the NES wanted to be, but didnt have enough horsepower to pull off.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Install SteamOS on the Ally this isn’t rocket science.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that looks great!

I’m never in a million years going to try this though.

Honestly the only device "mod" I've done that was a bigger pain in the rear end was doing a shell replacement for Switch Joy-Cons. That was brutal.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have a couple thick reflective stickers on the back of mine and those already get hot to the touch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Install SteamOS on the Ally this isn’t rocket science.

This is a dumb post, lol

Just install SteamOS on a device with a custom APU with, probably, terrible/non-existent support! SteamOS will definitely work the exact same way on a handheld made by a company known for its software, Asus, compared to a handheld with a dedicated community that's made by Valve! Drivers? Proton compatibility/optimization? Don't worry about that!

It's so easy, just put the OS on the device and then it will work!

e: I do think that if MS made a gaming mode-equivalent for Windows it would be a much, much, much more powerful contender. I honestly think that it's just going to be a huge flop.

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 17, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’d love to do the Gundam skin but I would gently caress it up instantly.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

that’s how windows works lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’d love to do the Gundam skin but I would gently caress it up instantly.

:same:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

History Comes Inside! posted:

that’s how windows works lol

SteamOS is linux though. Windows works almost entirely OOTB but it carries with it a ton of other problems that SteamOS was developed to offer a more focused alternative to. Tons of extraneous processes, all the annoyances of modern Windows, and a UI that really loving sucks for the form factor are reasons that SteamOS is very appealing.

If MS just released a Windows gaming mode that turned everything but the video game poo poo off, it would probably kill the Deck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't see Microsoft adding per-game suspend and resume to the OS any time soon

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't see Microsoft adding per-game suspend and resume to the OS any time soon

They should just port the XBOX OS to general PC's, since they're basically PC's already anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Heran Bago posted:

I have a couple thick reflective stickers on the back of mine and those already get hot to the touch.

Is this so you can find it in the dark easier? Or is there something like the xbox motion camera?