Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Leafs lines looking as expected

https://twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1647629738159009793?s=20

I’d prefer to swap Marner and Nylander cause Bunting/Matthews/Marner was actually worse than when Willy was up there this year and that line got basically cancelled out by Tampa exactly one year ago, feels like going back to the well based on comfort over results.

Also having both Schenn and Holl in the starting D is an abomination, Tampa can just chip the puck into the right corner and the Leafs will get hemmed 2/3rds of the time which seems bad. Unfortunately Liljegren got sad about Sandin and Engvall going and played like poo poo down the stretch so this has been telegraphed for a while.

I'd prefer Knies and Liljegren because I can't understand the part of Keefe's lizard brain that looks at how utterly dogshit Lafferty and Schenn have been and thinks "I'll have some more of that".

For the record Lafferty and Schenn have 42.0 and 43.6 5v5 FF%. Next worst are Simmonds at 47.6 and Kampf at 48.5. He has the sense not to dress Simmonds for game 1 at least?

Even when we had Bogosian he mostly stuck on the third pair and he was twice the player Schenn is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Looks like Schenn is on the third pair with Rielly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

I am ready to playoff post, where do I say the derogatory things about the hot dish and the Prince singer, is it still here?

The entire state of Minnesota can gently caress off but don't you dare slander Prince.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Looks like Schenn is on the third pair with Rielly.

Whats going on with Rielly? His numbers seem down but not significantly. Has his defensive game really fallen off so badly? Or is this just Leafs fans eeyore syndrome combined with the expectations of a big contract?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Whats going on with Rielly? His numbers seem down but not significantly. Has his defensive game really fallen off so badly? Or is this just Leafs fans eeyore syndrome combined with the expectations of a big contract?

His defensive game has never been good. He seemed to have a better start to the season but then he got injured and nobody seems to want to talk about how the team was better when he was out.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like Toronto traded a whole bunch of assets to improve their defense and actually didn’t improve it at all.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like Toronto traded a whole bunch of assets to improve their defense and actually didn’t improve it at all.

Keying in on ROR at the deadline seemed so odd to me. If ever there was an opportunity to move a bunch of assets for a defender like Chychrun that was it. Really any defenceman who could provide long term stability on the back end. Hell, even the Hronek trade would've made a lot of sense for them (and he cost nearly the same as ROR). I will never understand Dubas' fascination with moving picks for one and done aging assets.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The entire state of Minnesota can gently caress off but don't you dare slander Prince.

There's no way I can go into why without sending this thread off the rails, but

I dare. I do so dare.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

I haven’t followed the before and after, but supposedly McCabe was a good pickup ?

ThinkTank posted:

Keying in on ROR at the deadline seemed so odd to me. If ever there was an opportunity to move a bunch of assets for a defender like Chychrun that was it. Really any defenceman who could provide long term stability on the back end. Hell, even the Hronek trade would've made a lot of sense for them (and he cost nearly the same as ROR). I will never understand Dubas' fascination with moving picks for one and done aging assets.

All the “anonymous coaches and executives” hot takes on Leafs Tampa is that RoR is gonna bring that championship pedigree.

I guess we will see.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I guess I should post in the playoffs thread as long as we're in here.

Hi :)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Cartoon Man posted:

Who should I watch tonight, I’m guessing CAR/NYI should be more entertaining than the upcoming Boston beatdown?

Both games will be bad for different reasons. Carolina/islanders will have relentless hurricanes cycling with about 45 shots coming from the point and maybe 10 feet in which Sorokin will stop 43 of. xGF for Carolina will be off the charts with 5 expected goals for. They will lose 4-2 with ENG making the 2 goal difference.

If Florida gets any kind of goaltending they have a chance. Unfortunately they have Paul Maurice behind the bench. They will give up like 6.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

They traded for like five defencemen.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

They traded for like five defencemen.

None of them are a long term solution. They prioritized depth guys and also traded a good, young defenceman in Sandin to fit their rentals in the lineup.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Going to the Stars/Wild game tonight. I might cry and yell a cuss or fifty.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The contract is a big part of it, because he signed it last year and this happens to be the second straight year the team’s xG is better with him off the ice than on it 5v5. Rielly missing time with injury this year probably hurt his reputation more than his play, because fans noticed that the offense/PP still functioned perfectly well and their defensive play improved while he was gone. It sucks to get your highest paid dman back and wish he’d stayed out because the team is visibly and measurably worse when he’s on the ice.

And beyond xG his actual goals% at 5v5 is the worst of all regular Leafs defenders. Some of that is shooting percentage and goaltending based for sure, but fans are gonna notice that the Leafs aren’t outscoring their opposition while he’s on the ice and when he’s the only guy playing significant time that’s true for he’s gonna look like a weak link.

Eye-test wise I don’t think he’s actually gotten significantly worse in his own end, he’s always been bad. I think his offensive game looks a lot less dynamic the last two years, he’s not using his legs on the rush or finding holes in the middle of the ice off the cycle. He still gets his points because he plays a lot of minutes with very good offensive players, but most of those touches come from being a pinball flipper on the top of the PP umbrella and making 6 foot breakout passes as opposed to adding an offensive weapon in his own right. Rielly was always a guy where the mantra was the positives outweigh the negatives, but the positives are diminishing while the negatives stay the same. Which I called happening before he signed his new deal.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Good morning happy playoffs go everyone except the Leafs, Bruins and Lightning.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There are no feel good cup winners this year. It's just varying shades of palatable and the Oilers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh yeah add the Oilers to my "except" list.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Shinjobi posted:

I am cheering for the Wild but I won't be mad if the Stars win. I like watching them both play

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

eXXon posted:

I'd prefer Knies and Liljegren because I can't understand the part of Keefe's lizard brain that looks at how utterly dogshit Lafferty and Schenn have been and thinks "I'll have some more of that".

They're physical players and it's time for playoff hockey

Remember when Kyle Clifford started game one last year lol

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven’t followed the before and after, but supposedly McCabe was a good pickup ?

McCabe seems fine but if Liljegren is on the bench, Sandin is gone, and Luke Schenn is in the lineup did they really improve?

It also seemed weird that they didn't get a better forward or two. Their problem hasn't been defense in the playoffs it's been scoring. I'm looking at their bottom 6 right now and I don't know who is going to score. Sam Lafferty? Noel Acciari?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shinjobi posted:

Cutting my vacation short to be in Sunrise to be at the game many say will be knocking my Panthers out.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Luke Schenn has as many Cup rings as Liljegren has playoff games played. Luke's Troops, let's go!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It'll be great to get EEK back. It'll be interesting to see if Evason starts MAF for his playoff experience or Gus Bus since he's been playing notably better.

https://twitter.com/B_Marsh92/status/1647708143512682496?s=20

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

He boarded that guy so hard it ended his career

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arabian Jesus posted:

Would you believe me if I said I didn't?

ThinkTank posted:

None of them are a long term solution.

McCabe has another couple of years after this season.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

McCabe seems fine but if Liljegren is on the bench, Sandin is gone, and Luke Schenn is in the lineup did they really improve?

It also seemed weird that they didn't get a better forward or two. Their problem hasn't been defense in the playoffs it's been scoring. I'm looking at their bottom 6 right now and I don't know who is going to score. Sam Lafferty? Noel Acciari?

Yeah it felt at the time, and continues to feel like, Dubas had another move in the works that just didn't work out before the deadline hit. Gustafsson has just been rotting in the press box, recently-extended Connor Timmins never saw the ice again, and the Leafs actual #6 D is sitting in favour of veteran grit. The forward lines weren't able to really gel for a long time because they were obligated to run 11/7 down the stretch and all the emergency goalie crap was partially a result of having too many defenders too.

I'm not too worried about bottom 6 scoring in the first round, those goals tend to be pretty random and Keefe has shown a willingness to balance out the lines (which a lot of people think will happen on the road). The issue with Leafs scoring in the past imo is that the powerplay under Keefe is running at ~16% in the playoffs and tends to get worse as series go on, an extra 4% conversion any given year wins them a series. I think the biggest reason for optimism for Leafs fans is that Keefe is trying out different combos on the PP, there's enough talent to go around, but the lack of time those units have had to work together doesn't inspire confidence.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

clearly a fake photo, no one associated with our team would ever be associated with anyone unseemly:

you know I was assuming that our beloved owner Josh Harris would also have direct documented ties to Epstein, but apparently he was just business partners with a guy who paid Epstein $158 million over several decades. we win this round

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Not super jazzed about playing the Kings. Last couple of games against them were trappy as hell so it's gonna be a long, grinding series.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
and the kings are also going to win

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You can cheer for the team trapping and grinding and being boring as hell or the team that loves to do sick dangles and passes playing at 100mph and loves to score goals.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
go team trap, grind these bitches down boys

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
you know who loves to score goals? Blake Lizotte who is definitely not a guy I just looked up

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You can cheer for the team trapping and grinding and being boring as hell or the team that loves to do sick dangles and passes playing at 100mph and loves to score goals.

You can cheer for a normal life with work and a family and being boring as hell or you can cheer for your house suddenly catching on fire is a really spectacular way destroying all your possessions and loved ones in a really exciting and colorful explosion.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I really think it's Arthur Kaliyev's and uhhh... Rasmus Kupari's time to shine

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I really think it's Arthur Kaliyev's and uhhh... Rasmus Kupari's time to shine

Alex Iaffolo was really good against the Canucks the other week in a "he seems like the type of guy to inexplicably put up 11 goals in the playoffs one time" sorta way.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SirPablo posted:

It'll be great to get EEK back. It'll be interesting to see if Evason starts MAF for his playoff experience or Gus Bus since he's been playing notably better.

As much as I adore MAF, he is toast. But as someone who doesn't care what the outcome of that series is, I hope MAF plays and does more MAF things!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

As much as I adore MAF, he is toast. But as someone who doesn't care what the outcome of that series is, I hope MAF plays and does more MAF things!

I mean, he ended the season with a .908 save % if I remember right, but he is at the end of his career. I'd expect the Gus Bus to start with the way he's been so solid and calm lately. But it'll be a fun tandem if that's what it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

SirPablo posted:

https://twitter.com/B_Marsh92/status/1647708143512682496?s=20

EEK is right

https://twitter.com/grodysattva/status/1599532852588208128