Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ikanreed posted:

The gently caress is an mfg index? I thought I'd heard all the economics slang in the world at this point

Measures the value of Magic the Gathering cards that have a typo in them and thus are Magic fhe Gathering

(It's actually a measurement of manufacturing, in this case within the state of NY)

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eregos posted:

Reminds me of an old Colbert Report segment on Child Labor which I couldn't find, but I did find https://www.santiagohs.org/apps/video/watch.jsp?v=25095 and
https://www.cc.com/video/xr7q4y/the-colbert-report-fallback-position-migrant-worker-pt-1 which is even better.

The one I was looking for had Colbert saying something like 'How can we outlaw child farm labor when their small, soft delicate hands are so perfect for picking ripe fruit?' which I always thought was such a hilarious way to covertly argue against child labor.

This is pretty funny stuff but also hilarious because Colbert's line about child exploitation being good is just the standard Republican/some Dem line currently. A prime example of why you can't do political satire anymore.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Harik posted:

that's true it's completely unfair to compare two technologies that have differing hypothetical usecases, neither of which are any good at even the made-up problems they purport to solve.

NFTs separated many a fool from their money
LLMs will make search engines completely useless.

ok

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no one has been able to demonstrate a use

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it just seems silly to immediately say they are the same as a ticket you pay for that says you own a jpeg but you are free to believe what you want

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Harik posted:

that's true it's completely unfair to compare two technologies that have differing hypothetical usecases, neither of which are any good at even the made-up problems they purport to solve.

NFTs separated many a fool from their money
LLMs will make search engines completely useless.

BERT's inclusion in google's search has probably been responsible for a good chunk of its increasing shitness since 2018 (https://blog.google/products/search/search-language-understanding-bert/). BERT isn't exactly the same as the GPT/LaMDA but they both use the same underlying math. it's become pretty difficult to drill down and refine results since around then that whatever bullshit these LLMs bring when incorporated might actually be better. probably not, but it'd be hard to be worse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

The gently caress is an mfg index? I thought I'd heard all the economics slang in the world at this point

The Motherfucking Index is the index to end all indexes

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Harik posted:

except the conversation wasn't about sugar water, it was about people mistakenly believing there was competition in carbonated (non-sugar) water. There's not. It's still coke & pepsi, but they both have a bajillion labels for the same product to fill the shelves with "choice"

e: I think the disconnect comes from Xaris explicitly talking about how it's just coke & pepsi for soda brands, then saying "weirdly you can buy about 100 different brands of canned carbonated water though" . Which is correct, there's way more brands of plain carbonated water than there are of sodas, even with each of them having normal, diet and zero variants.

There is competition on the low end, but even the discount trash doubled: Shasta used to be $2/12, now it's $4. But booze didn't budge at all, hell it's cheaper than ever after adjusting for inflation.

I just don't get it.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
These things can be pretty good as front-line agents into search engines / knowledge bases but they can't really replace them, and to fine tune them so they don't have the host of general issues is like at least ~$35k in hardware or $3k/shot in cloud spend.

I will be responsible for something running a version of lucene until I die, retire, or time stops.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The Motherfucking Index is the index to end all indexes

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it just seems silly to immediately say they are the same as a ticket you pay for that says you own a jpeg but you are free to believe what you want

I don't know if these posters are saying it's a 1:1 thing, so much as the same grifters hyping up NFTs as a revolutionary technology are also hyping up LLMs as the destruction of white collar work and that you should buy my $300 AI course on Udemy today, special price for my amazing subscribers only!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

google search is almost unusable now with how wrong it always is and it uses the same sort of poo poo as chatgpt, it will never do anything because it has no intelligence behind it and will always give you wrong answers, it’s a magic trick for rubes

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I've always dismissed those stupid graphs of "2000 years of GDP growth" or whatever, but it's genuinely hilarious to see economists earnestly state their supposed methodology for arriving at their bullshit

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

I don't know if these posters are saying it's a 1:1 thing, so much as the same grifters hyping up NFTs as a revolutionary technology are also hyping up LLMs as the destruction of white collar work and that you should buy my $300 AI course on Udemy today, special price for my amazing subscribers only!

it seems like a lot of posters are saying it's a 1:1 thing

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MBA types are impressed both by the "power" of AI and the "marketability" of crypto and NFT's so they are here to stay.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Maed posted:

google search is almost unusable now with how wrong it always is and it uses the same sort of poo poo as chatgpt, it will never do anything because it has no intelligence behind it and will always give you wrong answers, it’s a magic trick for rubes

yeah. it uses BERT to turn prompts into mush. works great if you're searching for stuff to buy near you that actually exists or, very specifically, airline tickets. there's a very small chance that if they overhaul things to use lamda or whatever they end up using it might not be quite as poo poo due some differences. you can already refine bard 'searches' (not really searches, but prompts) better than you can most google searches which kind of just stagnate, drop keywords, add them, etc. it probably wont actually be better but it'd be difficult to be worse.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

There is competition on the low end, but even the discount trash doubled: Shasta used to be $2/12, now it's $4. But booze didn't budge at all, hell it's cheaper than ever after adjusting for inflation.

I just don't get it.

are you in a control state? that will have a lot to do with it. licensure procedures, concentration etc are all heavily regulated here

in NY at my shop booze is up probably 12-15% since the holidays 2021, so I’d say yeah overall we’re lagging the greater pricepocalypse.

there’s a zillion factors that go into it though: distributors must have their pricing preapproved by the state monthly, so there’s a nominal regulatory step between producers and retailers.

if you’re like me and serve a poor community there’s a lot of ability to work my rear end off to keep prices low. our distributors do volume discounts within a range that’s accessible to small shops on strategic bulk buys, which I’m always monitoring . prices are "sticky" too because we price by purchase and leave it, so for slow moving products you won’t see a price change for months on end. of course when we next have to order, well, good luck. overhead is crazy low, im da only guy.

blah blah grain of salt because every state is different because the United States is dumb as gently caress

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

thats also an app, op

If they're putting it on their website I'm going to take that as an endorsement and use it, deal with it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ikanreed posted:

"Mit freundlichen Grüssen"

it's a German "Kind Regards" basically

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this one’s a stretch.

The argument in it is that low income folks who could get loans through SVB aren’t going to be able to get those loans.

this isn’t small depositors not going their money back.

No, it's previous agreements that these failed banks like SVB agreed to when buying out smaller banks that traditionally lent to lower income communities. It was supposed to be the lowest bar for public benefit being accrued from these fucks swallowing smaller fishes that actually bothered to lend to non-billionaires, and the fact that their failure means that they don't have to do it is hosed.

e: fb

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Couldn't that just be the earmarks it took to get GOP members to support the Dem bills?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

euphronius posted:

no one has been able to demonstrate a use

AI is good at generating subtitles. speech to text is way better now than it was 5 to 10 years ago. I use subtitles a lot so I appreciate it

maybe that's not considered AI even though it's based off all the same principles cause it doesn't generate a weird picture

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Gorson posted:

MBA types are impressed both by the "power" of AI and the "marketability" of crypto and NFT's so they are here to stay.

edit: think I got whooshed.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
being able to accurately transcribe spoken text super easily is also a bad thing but it does mean better subtitles on YouTube

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Casey Finnigan posted:

being able to accurately transcribe spoken text super easily is also a bad thing but it does mean better subtitles on YouTube

Why is it a bad thing?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
because my phone hears me talking to my nephew and then I get ads for products that coincidentally have the same name as my nephew, etc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sounds like a problem with pervasive advertising and surveillance, not necessarily with the speech-recognition technology itself.

I use speech2text daily. Between that and the notes app on my phone I'm about 1/10th as socially isolated as I was in the 00s and early 10s.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they do not accurately transcribe. maybe 95% in good conditions . a bit higher in perfect conditions

I suppose that is good enough for advertising bots

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

they do not accurately transcribe. maybe 95% in good conditions . a bit higher in perfect conditions

I suppose that is good enough for advertising bots

That's better than the average human's auditory comprehension of what another person is saying. The ear folk mishear poo poo frequently.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

possibly. however the AI understands 0% so a bit behind the ball there

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's pretty easy to stick to the position of "there are no use cases" when every time a use case gets brought up you just say "nuh uh"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

advertising is not a use

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Tech Journalism has done a lot of talking about the possibilities of Euphronius's posts, but have yet to demonstrate a use case outside the NBA thread

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

it's pretty easy to stick to the position of "there are no use cases" when every time a use case gets brought up you just say "nuh uh"

The only acceptable response is “yeah huh”

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

AI will never replace Stephen A. Smith.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/staffordphilip/status/1647971269558534145?t=RQEufAg202MWAlLjOH5GYw&s=19

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Because outside of a specific small set, the amount of some combo of work, money and liability kills it consistently, and these companies are bleeding money for a reason.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Casey Finnigan posted:

because my phone hears me talking to my nephew and then I get ads for products that coincidentally have the same name as my nephew, etc

It's very likely not listening to you in that way. They don't need to do that to target you in that manner because they'd get huge PR blowback (maybe even legal blowback) if they were caught doing it.

It's a bit dated, but Reply All had a good episode covering this.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/z3hlwr

The gist is that if Facebook knows you're his uncle and you gave it permission to know your location/calls/etc., then it knows you called him (or his mother or whatever) recently and THAT can be the basis for ads to you. It doesn't need to spy on the contents of the call. This same logic would hold for any sufficiently large tech/advertising platform.

It's still creepy as all gently caress, but likely not literally listening in on your calls like the NSA.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

Because outside of a specific small set, the amount of some combo of work, money and liability kills it consistently, and these companies are bleeding money for a reason.

ok, we'll see I guess, only time will tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Maed posted:

why don't they just change it back to when it was good?