Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That made me think about how part of the VIG issue for hotels having a queue for the first time was that at least some of those 500 people then immediately booked a second room for their Companion, meaning there were more like 750 in line than 500.

That said, it is also weird that their system cannot handle 750 people at once

Page. 4. Snypa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

nesbit37 posted:

Pretty sure they are already approving them. Event submission has been open for a while now.

Is the event calendar up? I wasn't able to find it. I would love to be able to have like one email conversation where they don't remind me that this isn't technically approved yet.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
No it isn't up for a while yet. I forget when it goes up exactly but it isn't until much closer to event registration in May.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
The fact that the housing portal isn't automatically sorted by distance is a travesty.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Welp, that was brutal.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

Welp, that was brutal.
Sorry man. GenConHotels.com will hopefully be your salvation eventually!

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

theironjef posted:

Is the event calendar up? I wasn't able to find it. I would love to be able to have like one email conversation where they don't remind me that this isn't technically approved yet.

The deadline for early submission was Friday, I think. I had a friend who didn't realize they had csv upload and uploaded somewhere between 200-300 events individually on Friday.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

Dr. Quarex posted:

The champion photo example being the one ... Mudcrab Merchant? took?, and of course by this I mean BOTTOM LINER

My photo fame is for this majesty. Easy to get confused

That cleared up, I don't know if I will be able to go this year because I made a whole human and now have to take care of it??
So I'm flyin by the seat of my pants to the last minute just like the last two years :smuggo:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Gonna go to Dragon Con dressed as that guy next year

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

That cleared up, I don't know if I will be able to go this year because I made a whole human and now have to take care of it??
So I'm flyin by the seat of my pants to the last minute just like the last two years :smuggo:
Missing so many potential cosplay opportunities if you stay home. Well actually I guess you can still cosplay at home

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Plane ticket purchased. Hype building.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bruxism posted:

Plane ticket purchased. Hype building.

Event deadline approaching.

Also, it's worth mentioning the Gen Con Participation Grants, as they're new and not broadly advertised.

https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-indy/participation-grants

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Eastmabl posted:

Event deadline approaching.

Also, it's worth mentioning the Gen Con Participation Grants, as they're new and not broadly advertised.

https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-indy/participation-grants

"You must of a Gen Con account in order to apply. "

amazing proof reading no notes

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Anyone who has sort of left the Gen-Con merchandise orbit since Rollacrit took over for OffWorld Designs, you should know they have finally gotten to the point I thought they should have been at for 20 years, where they release several new things every few months and a lot of it is actually worth contemplating or EVEN BUYING (I pretty much exclusively drink out of Gen-Con branded travel mugs/tumblers at this point)

And they just revealed their SPRING LINEUP

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I would buy from them more regularly if it wasn’t for the shipping. As it is, I am just going to wait for the next sale. They seem to have them somewhat regularly.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Event review is underway

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Beastfucker better be running at LEAST hourly

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Now Harry Potter scarves as blindfolds is equally problematic! Hooray!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not know enough about zeitgeisty pop culture to offer an alternative

Maybe we should go back instead

Beastfucker guy, which "Happy Days" character is most likely to submit to the ritual

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Happy 20th Forums Anniversary to me and my homies CaptainRat and Torrent, at least one of whom has attended Gen-Con with me all 20 times I have gone in-person!

Unhappy nearly 20th Forums Anniversary to Hrothgar, who has rudely only attended like 5 times and only actually gone with me specifically in 1997 and 2021/2022.

Oh and happy 10th anniversary to me making this goddamn thread! Wow look at all the great success everyone

Malört and pizza with pickles on it for all!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Long live the Gen Con Thread!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Oh poo poo, my 20th Forumsversary will be Thursday at Gen Con 2024.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

Happy 20th Forums Anniversary to me and my homies CaptainRat and Torrent, at least one of whom has attended Gen-Con with me all 20 times I have gone in-person!

Unhappy nearly 20th Forums Anniversary to Hrothgar, who has rudely only attended like 5 times and only actually gone with me specifically in 1997 and 2021/2022.

Oh and happy 10th anniversary to me making this goddamn thread! Wow look at all the great success everyone

Malört and pizza with pickles on it for all!

Yo, who is bringing the Malort pickles for Shots Miercoles?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
TOVA?

https://livegameauctions.com/2023/04/16/new-auction-location-for-2023/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

Oh poo poo, my 20th Forumsversary will be Thursday at Gen Con 2024.
You can celebrate by hopefully still being alive after the Malört pickle shots on Wednesday night!

I wish I could be entirely excited about this but somehow it never occurred to me we might be moved out of the convention center entirely. And here I thought being on the 2nd floor was the worst-case scenario.

Admittedly the Auction was at the Conrad? early on in the Indianapolis years, so clearly this is not the kiss of death or anything, but I hope we can have a sign at the old location or something.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The auction will do just fine. Back in Milwaukee it had a prime spot on the 2nd floor of the MECCA for years, but then it eventually got bumped out to another location, I think it was Bruce Hall, that was really out of the way if you didn’t know to look for it. It still just find, and I had a ton of fun attending it at that location. I don’t remember if we found it on accident or saw it in the program book and decided to check it out, but it was definitely out of the way.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
That kinda sucks for people just wandering in or TOVA drawing in passerby, but the room was overfull for that anyway. I think the auction has enough of its own crowd that it’ll still get traffic. Also consignment not being cramped as hell will be nice

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fellis posted:

Also consignment not being cramped as hell will be nice

Thus morning might be open season if the masses aren't aware of the change

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah this is definitely gonna be the year to grab all valuable things Thursday morning! And possibly clean up Saturday morning.

Definitely makes me sad that I missed like two huge tubs of stuff that I am sure would have gone for more last year, but it will probably be a good year overall for picking up cool stuff in the live auction phase as well

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
How is it only 100 days to go

It was 140 days to go, like, 40 days ago. This just does not add up

I just realized yesterday that my kiddo wanting to go to Indianapolis for the week before his birthday is, in fact, the weekend before Gen-Con, so now I have to decide if I want to amp up my concerning behavior by staying at the same hotel starting the Friday before the convention. I could bring TWO car loads of stuff for the Auction that way! The child can ride on the roof

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Quarex posted:

How is it only 100 days to go

It was 140 days to go, like, 40 days ago. This just does not add up

I just realized yesterday that my kiddo wanting to go to Indianapolis for the week before his birthday is, in fact, the weekend before Gen-Con, so now I have to decide if I want to amp up my concerning behavior by staying at the same hotel starting the Friday before the convention. I could bring TWO car loads of stuff for the Auction that way! The child can ride on the roof

It's never too early to teach a child how to do the auctioneer voice.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

So I've been thinking about Gen Con, and while I don't run "actual" events, I'm going to run Blood on the Clocktower again this year, but I'm going to put some modicum of structure into it this time. (Don't worry, there aren't going to be like tickets or reservations or anything official like that, but I'll put out like a survey to see what sorts of nonsense people actually want to do and then maybe make a google doc for people to express interest in advance to play and/or storytell.)

One thing that I definitely want to try to do is some sort of "storytelling spectator mode" where the circle/town square is in one room, but then I go next door or something so I can explain what's happening and why for spectators. (Or let people provide input on the storytelling decisions, like what tokens go in the bag or what misinformation to give out. Sort of like a live-action twitch chat, but less bad.)

But yeah, I'll bring my grimoire, and I am absolutely willing to bring/write custom scripts if there are people willing to experience them potentially being terrible. (I can also bring custom scripts that are good.)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

has anyone stayed 10-15 miles away from the convention center?

curious about experiences cause every time I've gone I've stayed at the JW, but this year my group missed the hotel lottery.

I'm seeing some cheap stuff in that distance range and I'm wondering how well it works.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Another round of us trying to host a game where we don't announce the system until you're at the table and another year of GenCon being dead set against it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Fate Accomplice posted:

curious about experiences cause every time I've gone I've stayed at the JW, but this year my group missed the hotel lottery.

I'm seeing some cheap stuff in that distance range and I'm wondering how well it works.

I have, but not for several years, and last time I did Gen Con had the shuttle bus program that carted me to and from the hotel. With the shuttle bus it worked pretty well and I would say other than not being able to get back and drop stuff off whenever I wanted it worked pretty well. No idea how it would be now without the shuttle, I guess it depends on your tolerance for paying for ride shares.

“IronJef” posted:

Another round of us trying to host a game where we don't announce the system until you're at the table and another year of GenCon being dead set against it.

I can see why they wouldn’t want that, how would you even find it in their event catalog system? Have you done that before at other shows and had people sign up? I can’t ever seeing doing an event like that myself.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

I have, but not for several years, and last time I did Gen Con had the shuttle bus program that carted me to and from the hotel. With the shuttle bus it worked pretty well and I would say other than not being able to get back and drop stuff off whenever I wanted it worked pretty well. No idea how it would be now without the shuttle, I guess it depends on your tolerance for paying for ride shares.

thanks for the information - at these room rates (~$140/night) my tolerance for ride share costs is high.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

Along with what other people said, look into Gate 10 parking. They have several lots within walking distance of the ICC, or you can take their shuttles that arrive every 5-10 minutes or do. I think in the past they've been 24/7 but I don't know if the shuttles themselves go that late. Might be cheaper than ride sharing 2+ times a day.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Along with what other people said, look into Gate 10 parking. They have several lots within walking distance of the ICC, or you can take their shuttles that arrive every 5-10 minutes or do. I think in the past they've been 24/7 but I don't know if the shuttles themselves go that late. Might be cheaper than ride sharing 2+ times a day.

I'll be flying in this time (last summer I drove from California) so no car

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Fate are you on the Goon Con discord?

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Fate Accomplice posted:

I live pretty much exactly 10 miles from the ICC, and I (currently, and for the last 5 years, but my office will move before the con) work within walking distance of it. What type of things are you wondering? You can feel free to ask me via PM or on the goon discord (Sotion) if you have specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

theironjef posted:

Even though I agree I do not understand how you would list this in a system set up primarily to be searched by types, I do love this. Particularly since the only truly successful campaign I ever ran was one where everyone played for 30 minutes before I handed out the Call of Cthulhu character sheets and the noise they made in response was exquisite

Also in 2003 I stayed at the Homewood Suites Indianapolis North and it was such a pleasant place that I stayed there again occasionally over the years, like, not for Gen-Con but just when in the area. The commute certainly could have gotten worse but it really is not as huge a deal to drive in to Indianapolis like it is in some other cities