Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

why don't they just change it back to when it was good?

the AI won't let them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Re Facebook - everyone has a FB profile whether you use it or not, the app wants permission to see your contacts so it can build networks of who knows who. It's pretty hosed up and should be illegal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Land cost. these things are going in, in undeveloped areas at least where I’m seeing them in the PNW. think like 30 minutes to an hour from a city.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Re Facebook - everyone has a FB profile whether you use it or not, the app wants permission to see your contacts so it can build networks of who knows who. It's pretty hosed up and should be illegal.

it's pretty crazy to me that I can put my friend's address in my phone to get to his house easier and now, through no digital action of his own, his name and phone number are permanently associated with that address according to Google, the NSA, etc.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You should not avoid being identified.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nonsense posted:

You should not avoid being identified.

fed spotted

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah, Facebook keeps "shadow profiles" of people it knows exist but who are not even signed up for the platform for the purposes of mining ad data.

Most commercial websites have tracking programs called "pixels" that report your usage of the site back to Facebook/Google/whoever, and then use that to target ads to you and your connections. This is how you can have a conversation with someone about some crazy product they saw online and then get an ad for that same product an hour later. Your friend's purchase or even just viewing of that product triggered a tracking event and likely everyone they know is now seeing those ads. It's just coincidental that you happened to talk to them about it specifically.

Edit: I believe a good amount of this poo poo is illegal in the EU because of their GDPR law.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

apple launched their savings account thing with a 4.15% apy. it's not the highest but still higher than a lot of the big banks. lol at this market

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apple will defeat Tesla.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Apple will defeat Tesla.

the Apple car sincerely might be the only consumer car brand capable of dethroning Tesla among LA people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple sulk posted:

apple launched their savings account thing with a 4.15% apy. it's not the highest but still higher than a lot of the big banks. lol at this market

that’s higher than pay raises hahahah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

Because Google doesn't care about good search results, they care about getting you to click on one of their advertisement products. The search results are just a method to get you to do that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

so are they just dumping it into federal money market which is at 4.76.% and taking a cut being the middle man?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because Google doesn't care about good search results, they care about getting you to click on one of their advertisement products. The search results are just a method to get you to do that.

*guy in the board room who hasn't quite figured out the game yet and is about to get fired*: but won't people be less likely to trust the products we advertise if the basic functionality of our website appears to be breaking down and not yielding any useful information in favor of promoting the brands that pay us directly?"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

so are they just dumping it into federal money market which is at 4.76.% and taking a cut being the middle man?

If that's what they're doing then the cut they're taking is a whole lot smaller than what the banks are taking.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

*guy in the board room who hasn't quite figured out the game yet and is about to get fired*: but won't people be less likely to trust the products we advertise if the basic functionality of our website appears to be breaking down and not yielding any useful information in favor of promoting the brands that pay us directly?"

Sounds like a problem for next fiscal year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

If that's what they're doing then the cut they're taking is a whole lot smaller than what the banks are taking.
fair enough. my CU is like 0.02% still so I moved it all into vanguard fed mm instead earlier this year. was just curious since it’s almost 0.5% below fmm rate

I guess they could also be using it for collateral for buying corporate junk bonds and stuff too

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Animal-Mother posted:

probably a mix of they don't want to, they don't know how anymore, what they index doesn't really allow them to go back

it's arguable but one of the main metrics Google used to keep touting was zero-click search. that's a search that results in the user not actually clicking any web links. if a search ends in a user clicking into a streaming service app directly from the results, that's considered zero-click. same if they just close the browser or do another search. this is a metric google changes all their poo poo around for. it's why featured snippets, walls of videos, and all sorts of other poo poo are all over the page instead of actual web results.

ironically it's very, very hard to search for anything actually from google on this due to seo infestation. https://blog.google/products/search/google-search-sends-more-traffic-open-web-every-year/ is a "fact check" blog about how zero-click searches aren't necessarrily bad and setting the record straight. it's pretty clear they optimize for zero-click searches and that everyone single piece of poo poo seo outfit does too. also that's why search results suck rear end. doesn't actually matter if people spend ages trying to re-do searches. that's actually beneficial if you're optimizing for zero-click, which is the case

so i'd say primarily they don't want to make their search good like it used to be. the opposite

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Offering a larger yield on savings accounts by taking a smaller cut and exploiting market awareness/trust by being named "Apple" and not, like, "MoneyTime Online Bank" seems like a smart move, what's the catch here (I know, I know, makes it easier to get people to finance flagship phones and computers etc)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

so i'd say primarily they don't want to make their search good like it used to be. the opposite
this

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i've been playing around with it and chatgpt's code thing is so close to being pretty solid, but it does some insanely dumb poo poo like giving you libraries you don't need or didn't ask for (some of which don't work at all as used) or remove things completely, basically making you backtrack to fix it. i can't imagine the plus one is much better but i could be wrong

even then it probably still writes better code than i would

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
what if there was a scale to step on at the grocery store and if your BMI was 30+ it would triple the cost of your groceries?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
not fair to musclebound freaks like me

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Koirhor posted:

what if there was a scale to step on at the grocery store and if your BMI was 30+ it would triple the cost of your groceries?

it should do the opposite, if you weigh more you need more food

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

triple sulk posted:

i've been playing around with it and chatgpt's code thing is so close to being pretty solid, but it does some insanely dumb poo poo like giving you libraries you don't need or didn't ask for (some of which don't work at all as used) or remove things completely, basically making you backtrack to fix it. i can't imagine the plus one is much better but i could be wrong

even then it probably still writes better code than i would

Are you using the GPT-4 model? According to Microsoft's evaluation it scores in the top few percentiles on online code interview practice tests, whatever that means. Supposedly it can get a perfect score on the Amazon one, but I am a laymen so I dunno if that is impressive or not.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Justin Tyme posted:

Are you using the GPT-4 model? According to Microsoft's evaluation it scores in the top few percentiles on online code interview practice tests, whatever that means. Supposedly it can get a perfect score on the Amazon one, but I am a laymen so I dunno if that is impressive or not.

Well yeah all of those programming challenges are like known problems with thousands of solutions posted on stackexchange in many forms. If you want it to actually solve a unique problem good loving luck lmao

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

so many people have interviewed at Amazon and Microsoft and posted about their interview questions online that i'm not surprised.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Justin Tyme posted:

Offering a larger yield on savings accounts by taking a smaller cut and exploiting market awareness/trust by being named "Apple" and not, like, "MoneyTime Online Bank" seems like a smart move, what's the catch here (I know, I know, makes it easier to get people to finance flagship phones and computers etc)

1: become a bank
2: get access to the brrrrr/bailout fountain
3: give yourself a huge executive bonus
4: fuckit how bout another bonus and also stock buybacks

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

I just paid for plus 5 minutes ago and it's way, way faster generating it, and the first bit of code it gave (improving on what I asked for) actually worked somewhat, so it's an improvement

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Labor pool going to expand soon
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1647975547371175941?t=9vICdnum-6LC8E005vDvOQ&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the people who this would apply to literally cannot work . which is why they get benefits

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ahaha he's going to where the laws actually get made

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

the people who this would apply to literally cannot work . which is why they get benefits
They think all those people are faking as long as they can stand on two feet unassisted for more than 5 minutes. Or that legally blind people could still sort nuts and bolts by hand and therefore need to get back to work.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

The democrats will 100% be in favor of this as long as there's some sort of disability means testing

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/mediagazer/status/1647969555447181313?t=LujPt0Z-LWb_XgO1Si-SvA&s=19

itsafraid.gif

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

please tell me what these amazing government benefits actually are

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I still don’t know what YouTube shorts are and I assume they only exist for SEO

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Koirhor posted:

please tell me what these amazing government benefits actually are

Medicaid. foodtamps. and I guess some housing aide.

I might be missing something else

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

euphronius posted:

I still don’t know what YouTube shorts are and I assume they only exist for SEO

It's a shittier, ad filled TikTok knockoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they annoy me Becuase whatever order my YouTube recommendations were in are now full of shorts