Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I opted for the non wooden tile version, and for the box-size alone I'm happy I chose the lesser route in this case. That deluxe version does seem super nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Bring back the deck of cards version of Ra, Reiner! I want it to be travelsized.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

armorer posted:

That deluxe version does seem super nice though.

Going to have a shelf in my Kallax for Games With Bags Full Of Clicky Clacks
- Azul
- Illiterati
- Quacks of Quedlinburg
- Ra

The Ra auction tile bag is massive once filled.

Comparison of bags

Comparison of tiles

Ra's bag holds like 3 times the amount of tiles that Illiterati
Probably 10x the amount of Azul

SUPER nice tiles.

El Fideo posted:

Bring back the deck of cards version of Ra, Reiner! I want it to be travelsized.

You'll pack your suitcase with a tile bag so big that it could kill a man if swung, and you'll like it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I posted some more pics over in BG thread but yeah, its massive. Really wish it was cut down to at least 2/3s this size. Also wish the front of the tiles were as clean as that back design and the player boards were less cluttered with iconography and the main auction board were better. Not a fan of the folding design or the arc of it. Surprised they didn't do a mat, but I might look into making my own with the scoring reference like old Ra to ditch the player boards and auction board. I also used the VP bag to hold the bidding tiles while stored and put the VPs in a 4 slot plano to keep the denominations separated. It's weird that they put so much effort in the production but miss common sense things like that.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 31, 2023

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

I posted some more pics over in BG thread but yeah, its massive. Really wish it was cut down to at least 2/3s this size. Also wish the front of the tiles were as clean as that back design and the player boards were less cluttered with iconography and the main auction board were better. Not a fan of the folding design or the arc of it. Surprised they didn't do a mat, but I might look into making my own with the scoring reference like old Ra to ditch the player boards and auction board. I also used the VP bag to hold the bidding tiles while stored and put the VPs in a 4 slot plano to keep the denominations separated. It's weird that they put so much effort in the production but miss common sense things like that.

Just casually making GBS threads all over Infinitum with your professional photography there

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

That Italian Guy posted:

Since this is a second edition, has anyone tried the first one? Looking at BGG, a lot of people have marked it as "not recommeded" for 2 people and I'm not sure why that would be the case for something that looks like a boss battler?

I played it a bunch (and have played most other boss battlers to some extent as well) and I'm guessing it means that it's not recommended with two characters rather than 2 players. You would definitely want to play 2 characters each if you were playing with 2 people as like most of these games, it's really most balanced around having 4 player characters and anything more or less skews the balance and the feel of the game to some extent. In particular, the already high-luck nature of the gameplay would be dramatically amplified with only two characters where a few bad rolls or a bad hit could seriously ruin your game. More characters = more dice rolls = a more even distribution.

If you don't mind doing that, it's a pretty fun game with a super-cool art-style and about the only game of its type that you can play in a single session. I eventually sold my copy because I like the super-deep ultra-crunchy campaign style games for a boss battler and I found that without all the extra gear building and character development, and the simpler boss AI in TT, the game could end up feeling like a lot of just rolling dice and hoping for the best. That said, there's a good amount of variety between the different bosses, characters, gear and terrain to last a long time and I think the flaws would be far less obvious to someone who hadn't put hundreds of hours into other boss battler games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bowmore posted:

Just casually making GBS threads all over Infinitum with your professional photography there

Ho ho ho, but I gave you frame of reference

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Kerro posted:

I played it a bunch (and have played most other boss battlers to some extent as well) and I'm guessing it means that it's not recommended with two characters rather than 2 players. You would definitely want to play 2 characters each if you were playing with 2 people as like most of these games, it's really most balanced around having 4 player characters and anything more or less skews the balance and the feel of the game to some extent. In particular, the already high-luck nature of the gameplay would be dramatically amplified with only two characters where a few bad rolls or a bad hit could seriously ruin your game. More characters = more dice rolls = a more even distribution.

If you don't mind doing that, it's a pretty fun game with a super-cool art-style and about the only game of its type that you can play in a single session. I eventually sold my copy because I like the super-deep ultra-crunchy campaign style games for a boss battler and I found that without all the extra gear building and character development, and the simpler boss AI in TT, the game could end up feeling like a lot of just rolling dice and hoping for the best. That said, there's a good amount of variety between the different bosses, characters, gear and terrain to last a long time and I think the flaws would be far less obvious to someone who hadn't put hundreds of hours into other boss battler games.
Thanks! The art style does look lovely, how long does a session take? BGG has a very wide estimate at 40–200 Min. The other thing I'm a bit hesitant about is the fact that the KS does not mention VAT at all, so I'm not sure if the price+shipping is going to be inflated by that. I would be disappointed if I ended up paying €150+ for a $100 box.

I guess I'll have to decide between this and Guards of Atlantis 2nd ed (which apparently has rules for 2P).

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Yeah I dunno about the VAT thing, might be worth asking them.

I'd say it takes 40-60 minutes per boss on average, so we normally played a 3-boss variant rather then the normal 4 which allowed us to comfortably fit it in to a 3 hour gaming session. I believe they've made that variant official in the reprint. Obviously the time is increased or decreased with more/fewer players, so that estimate is based on playing with four.

I don't think there's any chance of playing even a three boss game in under two hours though so I dunno where the 40 minutes is coming from in that suggested range.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^ Thanks!

Has anyone has a chance to see some gameplay/try Galactic Renaissance? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matagot/galactic-renaissance

It looks like a worker placement/engine builder, from the designer of Inis. The intro video is very light on the rules themselves, though I think it's funny that it mentions that you have to have a "power turn" (by scoring 10VP in a single round) to win the game.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 31, 2023

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Thanks! The art style does look lovely, how long does a session take? BGG has a very wide estimate at 40–200 Min. The other thing I'm a bit hesitant about is the fact that the KS does not mention VAT at all, so I'm not sure if the price+shipping is going to be inflated by that. I would be disappointed if I ended up paying €150+ for a $100 box.

I guess I'll have to decide between this and Guards of Atlantis 2nd ed (which apparently has rules for 2P).

Guards of Atlantis II seems very very cool from my one game of it but I am deeply unconvinced that it would play well at two player.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah I would assume it would be like playing GH solo or something like that since you end up playing multiple characters, I presume.

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022
Tír na nÓg is up and funded on Gamefound. I'm in mainly for the art and Irish mythology elements. The actual gameplay looks pretty abstract and about manipulating suits and number values.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

Having a quick look at the video and it becomes immediately clear why the box is so expensive (considering shipping is included, but VAT is not) when they talk about one of the first stretch goals.

They say "we already had 2 version of each character race (one male, one female) but what if you both want to play the same race+gender???" So you have four copies of each character's material (sheet, token, etc) with different art and identical content otherwise, for each race :v:

The character materials are separate from the sheets and appear to be double sided. So there'll be two Argonian character cards and chips, not four; one side male and one female.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

djfooboo posted:

It was the KS Exclusive bridge thing. Can’t find that for sale in my limited search.

Earlier I said that this expansion was Co-Pilot, which is true for Rallyman: Dirt.

There's a different expansion for Rallyman: GT that includes a bridge though, and that is the Adrenaline Pack. If that's the one you want, and if you're willing to throw around $35 at it after international shipping (assuming you're in the USA), then this shop has it - https://www.philibertnet.com/en/holy-grail-games/121710-rallyman-gt-adrenaline-pack-3770011479665.html

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Last half an hour on this!
My Last Sunrise 2 - Women of Horror
http://kck.st/3TxGT0J

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Two days left on Hellrunners!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jimbozig/hellrunners

In case you missed it last time, the game is about speedrunners going into hell and using wrong warps, arbitrary prayer execution, and other glitches to carry out missions for their clients. Also, hell is a bureaucracy and devils are simultaneously cops and middle managers.

The goal right now is just to get a little more $$ to afford some cool cover art by SA's own Ferrinus. I love the public domain art I'm using now, and there's certainly a lot of it that fits with the theme of hell and devils, but getting a cover that fits in with Strike! and Ariadne and Bob and stuff would be amazing.

If you back, you can check out the preview pdf right away with the full game. (I'm writing a little more, like adding a 5th player to be the Twitch chat, but the game is essentially complete already)

Pictured: A hellrunner boosting off of some devils to gain enough speed to clip into the next circle of hell.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Got it, thanks!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Holy crap. Break!! finally dropped, which is a very cool RPG that's been teased for... ages.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/576526373/break-a-trpg-inspired-by-classic-videogames-and-anime

And then when the Fourth Seal breaks...

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Dawgstar posted:

Holy crap. Break!! finally dropped, which is a very cool RPG that's been teased for... ages.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/576526373/break-a-trpg-inspired-by-classic-videogames-and-anime

What makes it very cool? The art looks slamming, and the layout looks best in class, which are selling points. But nothing about the setting speaks to me that isn't in my head already as a childhood SNES owner. How rules light is it?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

What makes it very cool? The art looks slamming, and the layout looks best in class, which are selling points. But nothing about the setting speaks to me that isn't in my head already as a childhood SNES owner. How rules light is it?
From a quick look at the KS it looks lightweight and abstract, which makes the massive page count somewhat weird, even if it's a "one book in three" kind of deal compared to something like 5e. The main items that piqued my interest are:
- opposed rolls: you have to roll below your skill value, but above the opponent's roll to win;
- point-crawl wilderness exploration system;
Everything else seems very simple/already seen, at least from what's described in the KS.

Dawgstar, since the production cycle has been this long, do you know if this has been playtested to hell and back? From a quick glance I'm not sure why I would pick this over Icon, unless I want something less crunchy. There are some quotes from ENNIE winner/nominees in support of it though, so maybe there's more than meet the eyes that just great production values.

Edit: there's some stuff about the game on the official YouTube, haven't watched it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPn4mQhIoM

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 17, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Italian Guy posted:

Dawgstar, since the production cycle has been this long, do you know if this has been playtested to hell and back? From a quick glance I'm not sure why I would pick this over Icon, unless I want something less crunchy. There are some quotes from ENNIE winner/nominees in support of it though, so maybe there's more than meet the eyes that just great production values.

I know they've been working on it for ages - one of the comments in the KS called it the last great G+ project, which is true - and everything I've seen looks solid so I believe so.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
The mechanical details on the KS page makes it seem OSR-ish in it's procedures. I love the art and layout, but the post-apocalyptic, derelict megastructures, sun machine is broken stuff has me more hesitant. I have nothing against it being derivative - I think being derivative is generally a good thing for an RPG setting - but there are already so many RPGs of recent vintage which are derivative of that same genre/style.

I don't feel like I need to read another punky post-apoc/dying earth OSR-adjacent thing, but I'm not unwilling to be sold if it's got something unique, especially in the mechanics/procedures, or if the combat is really good, or whatever.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 17, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dawgstar posted:

I thought I had heard that this was like originally a translation project for (maybe?) sword world but they ended up making so many house rules while playing that they just modified it into their own game? Is that correct r did I totally misremember?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Having now read through the sample pages in the KS, I feel like there's a good idea here but I'm not totally sold on it. They have a simplified system where to-hit and damage are combined (good) into a single d20 (bad) roll, with a boons/banes system that is just +/- 2 or 4 (good) and they also have on top of that advantage/disadvantage (bad). Checks and contests are roll-under, while combat is roll-over, which I'm not really a fan of, but they at least seem to have thought through how this will work out in play by differentiating them well enough. The tone/feel of the game is all pointed in one way visually but there are some weird outliers in the text. For instance in the Skeleman series of monster entries, a potential activity to find them doing is distributing eyes and tongues taken from slain people, which is at odds with their whimsical appearance. The boss Skeleman, the Skelemonarch, can also be found in a carefree mood where it might not attack, just demand that the PCs do a silly dance or... cut off some of their own flesh. There's a rather wide disparity in the inspirations and that comes through in the tone, I'm not really sure if this is lighthearted fantasy or if we want to go grimdark. I get that they want to allow a range of tones, but I am at a point now where I prefer more focused experiences.

This does seem to have a lot of OSR design in it, which I'm into, but it is mechanically heftier than most OSR stuff. The Battle Princess, the class in the sample pages, has 4 pages of abilities, done in a very PBTA style with a clear separation between the low-tier abilities and the high-tier ones. If every class is this developed, I think there's a lot of meat on the bones for people to really dig into, but I'm not sure about some of the options. There appear to be some small issues where choices are not that different mathematically, or they have some unclear wording that will need to be tightened up.

I will say this, the game has absolutely excellent production quality. The whole thing is laid out gorgeously and information is conveyed clearly and concisely. This looks better than some stuff put out by the big companies. The class information sheet and advancement chart in particular is clean and clear and I wish PF2E had this level of tight visual presentation. If nothing else, the game will be presented in a pretty way, and one bit of OSR design I like here is that they seem devoted to using as much of the page to present useful information as possible.

I'm gonna back this and see how it turns out. I'd say it is promising enough for me.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

It definitely feels like something that has been in development for 10 years - as in, some elements feel fresh and new and some a bit stale, and they are sitting side by side. In the chargen video, you can almost carbon date certain rules/design choices to the specific period in which certain elements were popular design choices.

It feels like a work of love, overproduced the way Gloomhaven is (IE: a ton of content in a giant box - almost everything has bespoke art for it), but it also feels like a bit unfocused at times (the way DnD approaches its simulation-adjacent aspects, aka: I had an idea for this specific thing, let's add rules about it) or unnecessarily bloated (IE: one species darkvision has a paragraph to specify that it doesn't have the same penalty for daylight that the other species darkvision has. You can see that this is the result of someone having that question while testing, but you can't just leave this kind of notes in a proer technically written book - you just have the darkvision that gives disadvantage mention it, or you mention it in the other one. Otherwise you get a 500 page rulebook).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 17, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DalaranJ posted:

I thought I had heard that this was like originally a translation project for (maybe?) sword world but they ended up making so many house rules while playing that they just modified it into their own game? Is that correct r did I totally misremember?

Could be. It started life on Google+ but that's so much in the Before Times without a way to see what was going on then your guess is as good as mine.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So the Return to Dark Tower RPG pdf just dropped.

Regardless of anything else, I find something about the layout almost hostile, and the font-changing baffling. Like, it feels very amaterish somehow.

Edit - like, here's a page. Maybe it's the worst one? No idea.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 17, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I guess they're using different fonts for the game titles as sort of improvised wordmarks? I dunno, but I definitely hate it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Antivehicular posted:

I guess they're using different fonts for the game titles as sort of improvised wordmarks? I dunno, but I definitely hate it

Yeah that sucks.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

So the Return to Dark Tower RPG pdf just dropped.

Regardless of anything else, I find something about the layout almost hostile, and the font-changing baffling. Like, it feels very amaterish somehow.

Edit - like, here's a page. Maybe it's the worst one? No idea.

That is...definitely a formatting choice.

By the way, regardless of my previous comments, I've backed Break!! at a physical level. It feels like the book is going to be a good item from a production point of view no matter what, so let's roll this dice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One of my wife's favorite illustrators, Hannah Mosley, has collaborated with some other folks to create a D&D 5e compatible monster manual based on her illustrations.

She originally kickstarted the book of illustrations, my wife backed it and it arrived slightly late due to a printer making a mistake but everything did show up and the book is very high quality and nice.

Content warning: a little bit :nws: Although there is no explicit nudity on the KS page that I can see, some of her fairies are scantily clad and there might be illustrated boobs. It is all very tasteful and in a sort of whimsical, traditional western european folklore illustration style.
Folklore - The Wild Hunt.
Example of the illustrative style:

quote:

In 2021 illustrator and storyteller Hannah Mosley released Folklore - Tales of These Isles, an illustrated compilation of folk tales from the UK and Ireland. A copy of the book travelled in a dear friend's suitcase from Manchester, England, to Tel-Aviv, Israel. This book's journey ended in the hands of creative director, graphic designer and experienced DM Tom Kremer, who instantly knew that these characters and stories would be a wonderful addition to his tabletop adventures. The product of this collaboration is a special tabletop-friendly edition of Folklore.

Folklore - The Wild Hunt is a Dungeons and Dragons 5e compatible supplement that will bring a distinctive flavour to your campaign - 200 pages of folk horror and whimsy, packed with new monsters, intriguing characters to interact with, playable races, and Quick Tales to get you started with weaving this world into your campaign!

This KS is out of the UK and the basic digital copy of the book is £17, hardback is £33 plus shipping, and the kickstarter is already past its funding goal with 120 backers.

There is a downloadable free 24-page PDF sample.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The Shadowdark kickstarter pulled in $1.3mil when it closed a few weeks ago, and just delivered all pdfs to backers. Has to be the quickest delivery I've seen on kickstarter. Then again I normally back physical stuff like minis.

The physical books will go to print and be delivered later, they have a brief typo-hunting time starting now. They've been good on communication and it's been interesting hearing the inside baseball of the project, details like getting funds wired around for a project of this size, and how backerkit works with the smoke tests.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

"Due to the truly extraordinary size of the Dark Quarter project"

Did the size of the project change? Because if not, then that's just terrible phrasing and dodging blame.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That one as been weird to follow because every update they talk a lot but don't really reveal anything.

Kinda like Nighthawks and Starr Mazer.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudio/dungeons-and-lasers-v-world-of-deuslair-5e/description

in the final few hours, lots of free stuff unlocked. these are probably the highest non GW minis i've seen, and immensely cheaper as well

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks! My latest project Wetrunner, a cyberpunk TTRPG about cyberpunk criminals stealing fish, is in its final hours. We've funded and we're going for stretch goals. If you liked Hard Wired Island, this is kind of the opposite of that :v:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/6-siege-the-board-game/posts/3796785

Mythic Games asking for more $$ for 5: Siege. Not really a surprise but the amount they want is outrageous

core pledge: $39

gameplay all in: $99

all in: $129

they also go on to mention that if not enough people pay then they will reimburse the payment(minus bank fees lol) and i guess that'll be the end of that?

and they still have Hel, DD wave 2, Anastyr and Monster Apocalypse to go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy crap - that's a wild ride.

KS comments sections are always bad but this time I get it.