Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

sushibandit posted:

DMCA notices can (and should) be counterclaimed which should result in the link/page/whatever in question being reinstated and the claimant notified their next steps are to pursue actual legal action if the claim was valid to begin with.

Anyway, it seems like their login servers are hosed. Installed the hotfix when the login screen kept resetting me, and after installing the hotfix it still happens, even with steam shut down.

Counterclaims have a strict timeline - a provider cannot restore anything from a DMCA takedown in any fewer than 10 days after receiving a counter notification. They are required to put it back by 14 days.

The exception is if the claimant sues the party uploading the claimed infringing material, in which case notifying the provider of the lawsuit means that the provider cannot restore access.

I read through the suit. I don't think that Ironmace should be liable for copyright, but it might be pretty loving hard to prove in court considering Tetris Holding LLC v Xio Interactive Inc's outcome. It's going to be expensive as well. I do think they're gonna get hosed on trade secrets.

Edit: it is extremely funny that throughout the filing the lawyers for Nexon refer to WotC as "Wizards of the West Coast"

parasyte fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Demon Of The Fall posted:

me and 2 other goons were in the same dungeon as SoBadStrange earlier before the servers poo poo themselves, I hope our deaths are in a video . I heard him mentioned before for yelling at another goon or something, lol

yoooo good games

Servers are up everyone.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My thirst for dark and darker has been briefly slated. I rest now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Already back to 1k gold lol. Bring back the double floor ruins this is too easy

But make the stairs open 1 circle sooner

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Unconvinced by this guy so far. He's just reading off Nexon's complaint without any critical analysis.

I did note that Nexon is alleging that internal playtesting they did of P3 concepts and game design are stolen 'trade secrets', which, lol. I guess its better than trying to prove Unreal engine files are stolen.

Stuff like doing testing allowed them to figure out how to 'attract players with an interesting storyline' or 'finetune high-quality graphics' are especially laughable, considering DaD's complete lack of the former and just...how fine tuning graphics works. Might not be laughable to a fuddy-duffy judge though.

As stated before, 'Trade secrets' are generally "could you have made this game without this specific knowledge?" which in this case is the knowledge they gained working on the game for Nexon. Which is why they hold up all those things as examples, because every bit that is the same as P3, even if it's something very generic like Unreal Engine Files, leads weight to the idea that they could only make the game as it is because they had the experience with P3. If Ironmace had made this game without any ex-Nexon devs, then they'd be free and clear on the Trade Secrets issues. I really don't get why they decided to go with that one guy's plan to just replicate P3 to the very same store assets, it was insanely dumb.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kchama posted:

As stated before, 'Trade secrets' are generally "could you have made this game without this specific knowledge?" which in this case is the knowledge they gained working on the game for Nexon. Which is why they hold up all those things as examples, because every bit that is the same as P3, even if it's something very generic like Unreal Engine Files, leads weight to the idea that they could only make the game as it is because they had the experience with P3. If Ironmace had made this game without any ex-Nexon devs, then they'd be free and clear on the Trade Secrets issues. I really don't get why they decided to go with that one guy's plan to just replicate P3 to the very same store assets, it was insanely dumb.

Are you seriously saying that Nexon has a point with the unreal engine files being the same?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Are you seriously saying that Nexon has a point with the unreal engine files being the same?

That's... not what I said at all. I'm saying that the reason why Nexon pointed at literally anything that is the same, including the engine files, is because they're making the case that Ironmace was deliberately making a direct copy of P3 using the knowledge they gained from working on P3, so everything that is the same, including the engine itself, is being used as part of that case.

EDIT: Just to repeat: Explaining is not condoning.

EDIT2: Yeesh if even a quarter of what Nexon is alleging in that is true, and there's a lot of specifics that make it sound like they have evidence to produce, Choi at the very least is hosed.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 16, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nexon delenda est.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Kchama posted:

As stated before, 'Trade secrets' are generally "could you have made this game without this specific knowledge?" which in this case is the knowledge they gained working on the game for Nexon.

If we go by this logic, any game developer that switches companies and works on a game in the same genre is stealing trade secrets. So Torchlight, Destiny, Back4Blood, and hundreds of other games were all made using stolen trade secrets.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I feel like you could make a good case for Ironmace's innocence here, the real kicker will be whether or not Ironmace can afford to keep the trial going until the end or if it'll bankrupt them

not to mention given how long the case may take a 3rd party can come and just release their own D&D to steal everyone's thunder

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Their go fund me raised like 50k in under 10 minutes, I think they’ll be fine on that front from the community

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Bunch of desperate junkies playing this game smh

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

He doesn't even play the game, just takes a break from posting in QCS all day to come and tell us all how right Nexon us for some reason.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

milkman dad posted:

Bunch of desperate junkies playing this game smh
*Shank shank shank*

*Dry loots u*

*Runs off*

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
There must be a ton of newbies playing, I've had several instances of rogues and rangers trying to push my fully equipped fighter head on and get absolutely handled by a Longsword/Zwei shot this morning.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Had some good runs last night in Howling Ruins once we finally started running a front liner with CLE, BRD, BAR. Bard is clearly not finished but it's good. Charm song allows you to dive deep into rooms with lots of monsters to secure kills. Had a lot of great 5-8 kill rounds.

Ended the night with some goblin caves. 3 minutes left only two people had died. I figured out why: all these loving cowards are just ducking each other. So I took it upon me, Healertooth, to deliver the holy message of violence by taking two 2v1s and a 1v1 before getting out :black101:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Man this patching process is rough. But hey, at least Ironmace is trying.

I'll be on when i'm done patching if anyone wants to play.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Minorkos posted:

If we go by this logic, any game developer that switches companies and works on a game in the same genre is stealing trade secrets. So Torchlight, Destiny, Back4Blood, and hundreds of other games were all made using stolen trade secrets.

No, we're not going by that logic, then. Because the difference between P3/Dark and Darker and those other games you mentioned is that none of those games attempted to be a 1 to 1 reproduction of the game they had been working on. All of those games were, shall we say, substantially different. You can make a game LIKE a game, and that's not theft. It's illegal to just make that game. And the reason why the P3 devs working on D&D is a big deal.

That's what Nexon is alleging, that the reason why they were able to get a playable beta up so quickly (10 months after founding Ironmace) was because they just used all the work they had done for Nexon directly, so they skipped all the previous stages of game-designing and development. That because they were working off of stolen files, they were able to just work like they were still at Nexon without any disruption. It's like the difference between given a sheet of math problems and solving them because you know how to solve them due to prior experience, and being able to solve them because you have a sheet that has all the answers already that you're copying off of.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i'm interested in how much a previous project being cancelled was a motivation for founding ironmace

it's probably pretty hard to convince 20 gainfully employed people to jump ship and mutiny onto a brand new company. either the new company had awesome perks or nexon was devilish.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

i'm interested in how much a previous project being cancelled was a motivation for founding ironmace

it's probably pretty hard to convince 20 gainfully employed people to jump ship and mutiny onto a brand new company. either the new company had awesome perks or nexon was devilish.

According to the complaint, Choi lied to the P3 devs and were telling them that they were victims of company politics and despite Nexon telling them the game had passed to the next stage, they were actually lying and the P3 team was just spinning their wheels and no matter what they did the game wouldn't be released. He also told them that he actually had the game files squirreled away and had his own company that had investment lined up and that if they jumped ship they'd be able to finish P3 and release it.

At least some form of all of this appears to be true, as between Ironmace, the BLIND site, and Nexon's complaint there's a lot of matching details.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

well if there's a contradiction in these allegations, someone must be lying

afaik both parties agree there was a cancelled previous project at the small nexon subsidiary, and i suspect that played into founding ironmace

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

afaik both parties agree there was a cancelled previous project at the small nexon subsidiary, and i suspect that played into founding ironmace

It'd be hard not to agree on that since P3 was (very briefly) publicly shown before cancellation and everything we know says poo poo got real bad when it was shut down. IM's own site header is basically a thinly veiled subtweet at Nexon.

There's clearly a lot of bad blood here but IM really, really needs to stop letting that bad blood enable them to do really stupid poo poo because it's just making everything worse for them. Like they have to have a lawyer at this point telling them to stop talking about Nexon, right?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 16, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The weird part is where there isn't contradictions, but where Nexon adds more details. Like Choi said he wiped the server at the behest of his lawyer. But according to Nexon, he did this after he signed an agreement that he'd turn over the server so Nexon could investigate it and find out what files he had specifically and where he sent them to. This not only breached the agreement but got rid of any evidence that could point to whether or not he sent the files to other servers. Which if true (and Choi's own statements say he had a private home server and wiped it when his lawyer told him to) paints Choi's version as omitting details purely in a self-serving way.

Another example is that he claims they came after him when he told them he planned to quit eventually to audit the server that he had set up without permission, and how unprofessional that was. Nexon adds in the detail that they weren't aware of the server because he had done it behind their backs after they had specifically turned him down when he asked for permission. Also that they found out about it because one of the employees he tried to recruit eventually came to the higher ups and told them about Choi's plan to quit the company and take the team and also about the multiple servers with build files (that he was NEVER allowed to have) that Choi had at his home and personal office. Suddenly it becomes very clear why they came for him and the servers and fired him over it, and denied him severance pay (which as Nexon has a very strong union due to Korean laws, is very drat hard to do).

Blockhouse posted:

It'd be hard not to agree on that since P3 was (very briefly) publicly shown before cancellation and everything we know says poo poo got real bad when it was shut down. IM's own site header is basically a thinly veiled subtweet at Nexon.

There's clearly a lot of bad blood here but IM really, really needs to stop letting that bad blood enable them to do really stupid poo poo because it's just making everything worse for them. Like they have to have a lawyer at this point telling them to stop talking about Nexon, right?

If IM had lawyers worth a drat they wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat this game is fun.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Bard's chaos song makes several of the more clusterfucky rooms a lot more manageable, pve wise. It just needs to last longer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sushibandit posted:

Bard's chaos song makes several of the more clusterfucky rooms a lot more manageable, pve wise. It just needs to last longer.

Spam the first five notes (as in just right click wildly, it'll do a miss sound but skip further in the song), you only need to accurately play the last 3. Playing it like that gives you way, way more uptime for the song

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
The main downside to the bard right now is that the songs don't seem to grant XP in any way, even if you get the mobs to kill each other with discord, so you're not really encouraged to use them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Is the outdoor map just rogues billygoating up the towers and spamming hand crossbows down now?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

VulgarandStupid posted:

Is the outdoor map just rogues billygoating up the towers and spamming hand crossbows down now?

Yeah, then they chase you down and double jump headshot you. It's kinda cancerous.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea the outdoor map is basically a rogue playground. It can be fun if you are equipped to deal with rogues, or are a rogue yourself, but it's best to just stick to the original map for now. They really should just remove double jump. Rogues will still have 18 perks, they'll be alright.

Hotfix #2 changed/fixed a bunch of things. Clerics got their locust fixed, but their heal cost upped slightly, but now they can rest again to regen, so all in all, a positive cleric change. Rangers got more arrows.

Good changes, dev team still continues to be very alert and active.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

solo wizard seems like a special form of torture. I tried so hard but i have yet to extract.

Meditation should just be a perk that applies to resting imo.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

solo wizard seems like a special form of torture. I tried so hard but i have yet to extract.

Meditation should just be a perk that applies to resting imo.

The trick is to realize you're actually really dangerous in melee with Haste, Ignite and Invisibility, you should be using your armor penetrating magic damage to buzzsaw people in a way not dissimilar to a rogue.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, I agree. What they could do is make the rest mechanic dependent on a stat that benefits the wizard (and warlock) most of all, but then gradually gets worse and worse for other stats. We don't really want a fighter or rogue getting their 1-2/run abilities back constantly, but we do want a class that relies on spells to do combat to get them back relatively painlessly.

People are starting to talk about cantrips for wizards (really, all casters) and that might be a solution. But they have to be careful with infinite use spells and that's why it hasn't been done yet. If they did something like a constantly regenning cantrip, that could work. It has a max of 3 uses and regens 1 charge every 60 seconds or whatever (those numbers would have to be tweaked).

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

@everyone, Alpha #5 Playtest Hotfix - 2

Sorry for making you play the game in an uncomfortable state for a long time.
We will start Hotfix #2 from April 17, 2023 2:50 PM to fix some known issues and improve the game.
This patch is expected to take about an hour and a half to complete.
The servers will be down during this time.
For the patch download instructions, please refer to the 📢community-announcements channel.

# Changes
- Fixed several issues regarding dungeon access and rollbacks.
- Fixed an issue where Locust Swarm could deal unintended amounts of damage.
- Fixed an issue where Locust Swarm's extinction animation was unnatural.
- Fixed an issue where the checkbox would not activate even though all items were checked when trading.
- Fixed an issue where new chats were not visible after activating filters on trades.
- Fixed an issue causing monsters to recognize players late.
- Fixed an issue where the Deathskull would not respond to the Bard's playing.
- Fixed an issue where the Bard's could be hit in the effect area while channeling.
- Fixed an issue preventing the Hoard from working properly.
- The Ruins area is slightly brighter.
- Rest fills a small amount of spells again.
- Arrows and bolts can now stack up to 15.
- Cleric Lesser Heal's spell tier has been adjusted from 2 to 3.
- Cleric Locust Swarm spell tier adjusted from 7 to 8 and count adjusted to 1.
- Cleric Locust Swarm damage changed to 2 per second. This will be fine tuned in the future.
- Cleric Earthquake's spell tier has been adjusted from 7 to 8.
- Cleric Resurrection's spell tier has been adjusted from 8 to 7.
- Wizard Meditation channeling time reduced from 30 seconds to 24 seconds, and cooldown reduced from 60 seconds to 45 seconds.
- Rangers start with 30 arrows as an initial supply.
- Ghost King's health decreased slightly.
- Lich's health increased slightly.

Thank you for playing Dark and Darker despite many difficulties.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Just make doublejump a skill with a cooldown instead of a passive perk, so there's both a higher opportunity cost and it's not spammable, while still giving people clutch flexibility. Problem solved.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Some kind of stamina system could be possible. It wouldn't really affect anyone but rogues, or people that jump a lot, or that block forever, constantly swing, etc. Might be something they look into.

But double jump is busted, you can just jump over all attacks. You jump while swinging, then jump back and never get hit.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ShowTime posted:

Yea, I agree. What they could do is make the rest mechanic dependent on a stat that benefits the wizard (and warlock) most of all, but then gradually gets worse and worse for other stats. We don't really want a fighter or rogue getting their 1-2/run abilities back constantly, but we do want a class that relies on spells to do combat to get them back relatively painlessly.

People are starting to talk about cantrips for wizards (really, all casters) and that might be a solution. But they have to be careful with infinite use spells and that's why it hasn't been done yet. If they did something like a constantly regenning cantrip, that could work. It has a max of 3 uses and regens 1 charge every 60 seconds or whatever (those numbers would have to be tweaked).

Imo, resource management is one of the nice tensions in the game. With resting does spell Regen, a cleric can basically always be full health / full buffs for any engagement in goblin minds. I think people sort of under-estimate the opportunity cost of resting and how dangerous it is, but I think it lowers the importance of resource utilization.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ShowTime posted:

Some kind of stamina system could be possible. It wouldn't really affect anyone but rogues, or people that jump a lot, or that block forever, constantly swing, etc. Might be something they look into.

But double jump is busted, you can just jump over all attacks. You jump while swinging, then jump back and never get hit.

A stamina system would be really hard to do right. I'd withhold judgement until I see it, but a *Souls style system wouldn't be TOO awful, as long as it wasn't so overtuned that it becomes '6 seconds of melee' followed by 'waddle off and heal'.

The entire jump and swing thing probably needs a nerf, either a huge damage loss because your feet aren't planted, or just preventing it from occurring. Last playtest basically nobody jumped except to run away, now everybody is b-hopping because now a lot of classes have a ranged option in the bow or hand crossbow, and being a twitchy aderall addled mess of a person is a pro-gamer strat now.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Imo, resource management is one of the nice tensions in the game. With resting does spell Regen, a cleric can basically always be full health / full buffs for any engagement in goblin minds. I think people sort of under-estimate the opportunity cost of resting and how dangerous it is, but I think it lowers the importance of resource utilization.

Finding a resting dude is so amazing as a ranger, because you can more or less onetap them with the quickshot skill. If you don't wedge yourself in a dark corner to do it you're basically begging for a cheap death.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea the time to stand up is so bad that if you get on someone resting its game. I turned the corner into a room with a chest on goblin cave, saw him sitting next to chest and just shanked him in the face. He was dead before he could stand. I'm positive he thought I was using radar or something, but I just had a feeling he was there based on the trail of dead bodies leading to the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

and being a twitchy aderall addled mess of a person is a pro-gamer strat now.
lol calm down dude they're just jumping around