Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

So by “done” do you mean actually done or “done with Route A”?

Just got to route b.

Vermain posted:

the twist is admittedly fairly predictable if you're already familiar with the kinds of themes that're present in games yoko taro has worked on, but it was pretty unique for the console generation, and the way in which it's presented - as a NG+ exclusive feature - is still pretty novel to this day

Ya being familiar with Yoko Taro helped.

I think though I prefered the tone, atmosphere of Drakengard maybe it's a bit edgy but I prefered the darker themes it explored with it's characters like Arioch, Leonard. Something you don't see in games often. Didn't play any of the sequels though so not sure if those are similar to the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Legend of Dragoon ftw. Lloyd or whatever his name was stealing the Divine Dragon soul out from under you after the fight took 9 year old me hours to beat, was the most angry I've ever been at a video game bad guy and I will always appreciate the game for that fact alone.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dryzen posted:

i simply enjoy video games :cheerdoge:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Legend of Dragoon ftw. Lloyd or whatever his name was stealing the Divine Dragon soul out from under you after the fight took 9 year old me hours to beat, was the most angry I've ever been at a video game bad guy and I will always appreciate the game for that fact alone.

Lol nice. I just beat that fight. Legend of Dragoon owns. Get rekt haters. Best bad game I've played this year so far.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Finished Osvald's story in Octopath II. 1 down, 7 to go.

Osvald rules. So glad I chose him as my starting character.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Vermain posted:

speaking of spell stealing, it'd be remiss of me to not mention that The Mageseeker, another league of legends spinoff title, is coming out tomorrow. it's an action RPG with some light town building mechanics starring sylas, a mage who was formerly imprisoned by the mage-hating nation of demacia and is now trying to ferment rebellion, with the chief gimmick being that sylas can, in addition to equipping an assortment of spells, steal a spell from each enemy type, adding tactical flavor to each encounter

like the other riot forge properties, i'm expecting it to be gentle with the story leadin for non-fans, so it might be worth a pickup if the gameplay's in your wheelhouse and if pixel art isn't a big turnoff

I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Very nice that some of that League money is going into creating games/shows I'm actually interested in, and the game looks really pretty. I hear the difficulty is highly customizable, too, so I can tune things down and not have to worry about setting up a controller.

Here's a review that sounded pretty compelling: https://www.polygon.com/reviews/23683550/the-mageseeker-review-league-of-legends-action-rpg

quote:

The Mageseeker does a great job of reframing Sylas apart from his slightly discordant League of Legends biography. League poses Sylas as the leader of the rebellion, and as such, his vengeful nature and inability to focus on the greater picture become elements of the mage rebellion as well. It teeters on the infuriating centrism employed by games like BioShock Infinite — yes, it’s bad to oppress people, but it’s equally bad for the oppressed to fight back, etc.

Instead, the revolution is painted as reasonable, justified, and led by mages who had established an infrastructure before Sylas ever busted out of jail. Sylas becomes a force of nature, a metaphorical tornado they can unleash on Demacia’s strongest bastions — as well as a figurehead to draw in new recruits. A supporting cast does wonders in giving Sylas room to breathe and experience a more natural arc. The Mageseeker is also very aware of who the bad guys are; the Demacian nobility verges on comedically villainous in some scenes, and they certainly don’t live up to the gleaming white streets and just values of their nation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ff8 is insanely good

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ulio posted:

Almost done with Nier Replicant, the twist about the shades is one of the best part of the game but I had a feeling that's what it was gonna be from the items they drop and having played Drakengard 1 + heard Yoko Taro talk about violence. The combat system is actually fun, on hard the basic enemies are super spongy but the bosses you can one shot almost it's quite weird in it's balancing. OST and the story are very good some of the best in JRPG.

Vermain posted:

the twist is admittedly fairly predictable if you're already familiar with the kinds of themes that're present in games yoko taro has worked on, but it was pretty unique for the console generation, and the way in which it's presented - as a NG+ exclusive feature - is still pretty novel to this day

I was spoiled on NieR long before I played it, because TDI's LP made it a darling of this forum and of JRPG players.

I have no idea if Brother Nier differs from Father Nier in this regard but the message on this place back in the day was "this is all Nier's fault. Nier destroyed humanity." Father Nier is, at least, the perfect tragic hero in his single-mindedness but he was also denied vital information all game, and even at the end he still doesn't know everything. It was never like he purposefully trampled over all these lives. I don't know if Brother Nier is seen as so antagonistic but I always felt Father Nier was mis-blamed..

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the general arc for both is the same. the main ways they differ are in how the more incidental dialog comes off, father nier's relationship with weiss feels more like they can more closely relate to each other a bit since he's a bit more mature, brother nier's dynamic feels a bit more like weiss is filling a role as a kind of mentor helping him along. i think the biggest shift in cutscene dialog is kaine actually genuinely complimenting brother nier's appearance, compared to her making a more crass joke at dad nier since he's enough of an old bastard to get it.

technically kaine is the one who's most at fault in the story but in the end it's hard to blame anyone in specific. kaine is aware of what's happening but at the point they've hit there's no actual way to avoid it short of a miracle. if nier stopped killing the shades, the shades would have no hesitation about killing and possessing the replicants. as much misery as the replicants visit on them, it was in turn caused by suffering the shades made them face. nier's tragedy is the fact that you can't really blame anyone for what they're doing, everything and everyone are all just too broken to be easily mended and the story never offers them a feasible solution to pursue, let alone gives nier a reason to start pursuing it. from the eyes of every character in nier, they're all doing the only thing that makes sense for them, and kaine's decision from very early on was that she give her life to help the person who had helped her.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the louise arc that the replicant remaster added from cut content for the original is the most important difference and the second biggest reason i'd say the remaster is absolutely worth playing even if you've already played gestalt

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
that wasn't in the original??

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah that was cut content from the original that they put back in the remaster. same with the red bag couple, it iirc used to just be a generic boat man

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm unsure how much of an RPG it is but I just wanted to say that I quite enjoyed a game called Beast Breaker. Imagine if Peggle had no gravity and instead of just hitting pegs you were taking down giant monsters. It's got a fun cast (NB rep, too!) with good banter and a solid message at the end, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Jonquil best pun-maker.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't mind playing through characters' choices that I disagree with. I don't like playing through character choices that are dumb not only from my point of view, but from that character's point of view as well. Like, dropping a person's IQ but twenty points because the writers couldn't think of any way to move the plot forward. Then they make the player do it despite how incredibly stupid it obviously is to everyone involved.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think its hilarious

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I don't mind playing through characters' choices that I disagree with. I don't like playing through character choices that are dumb not only from my point of view, but from that character's point of view as well. Like, dropping a person's IQ but twenty points because the writers couldn't think of any way to move the plot forward. Then they make the player do it despite how incredibly stupid it obviously is to everyone involved.

It works okay if they're in an emotionally charged state or being manipulated by someone they have faith in.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the general arc for both is the same. the main ways they differ are in how the more incidental dialog comes off, father nier's relationship with weiss feels more like they can more closely relate to each other a bit since he's a bit more mature, brother nier's dynamic feels a bit more like weiss is filling a role as a kind of mentor helping him along. i think the biggest shift in cutscene dialog is kaine actually genuinely complimenting brother nier's appearance, compared to her making a more crass joke at dad nier since he's enough of an old bastard to get it.

technically kaine is the one who's most at fault in the story but in the end it's hard to blame anyone in specific. kaine is aware of what's happening but at the point they've hit there's no actual way to avoid it short of a miracle. if nier stopped killing the shades, the shades would have no hesitation about killing and possessing the replicants. as much misery as the replicants visit on them, it was in turn caused by suffering the shades made them face. nier's tragedy is the fact that you can't really blame anyone for what they're doing, everything and everyone are all just too broken to be easily mended and the story never offers them a feasible solution to pursue, let alone gives nier a reason to start pursuing it. from the eyes of every character in nier, they're all doing the only thing that makes sense for them, and kaine's decision from very early on was that she give her life to help the person who had helped her.

Yeah, that would be my take as well.

So Bro Nier is just as angry and single-minded as Father Nier? Sounds kinda interesting. I've thought about trying Replicant but...well, Nier isn't very fun to play is the thing. Its major flaw as a video game. Doesn't it add a new ending? Beyond "you sacrifice yourself for Kaine?" That was, IMO, the most amazing part of Nier. I probably wouldn't have given it much thought without Ending D, especially after slogging through it three times.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, that would be my take as well.

So Bro Nier is just as angry and single-minded as Father Nier? Sounds kinda interesting. I've thought about trying Replicant but...well, Nier isn't very fun to play is teh thing. lol Its major flaw as a video game. Doesn't it add a new ending? Beyond "you sacrifice yourself for Kaine?" That was, IMO, the most amazing part of Nier. I probably wouldn't have given it much thought without Ending D, especially after slogging through it three times.

it adds an ending based off a side story yoko taro wrote yeah. arguably it deflates the impact of ending d but i like it cause it gives kaine a moment to have her own agency in it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The FF8 crew makes bad decisions near-constantly at first, the whole end of disc 1 is just blunder after blunder. It’s text that you’re playing as a bunch of idiot teenagers in way over their heads.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol'd at the bit on your first mission where seifer is just like "i'm bored. let's go to that tower" and then you do it and get caught up in an insane robot chase for like fifteen minutes that benefits no one after turbo killing biggs and wedge

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

So Bro Nier is just as angry and single-minded as Father Nier? Sounds kinda interesting.

It's more that Brother Nier starts at a 4/10 on the furious scale, whereas Father Nier starts at a 7, then both eventually hit 10/10. The difference ends up more pronounced with Brother.

Worth noting that Replicant ver1.22 does improve the combat from "not good" to "serviceable."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seifers so cool

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Namnesor posted:

It's more that Brother Nier starts at a 4/10 on the furious scale, whereas Father Nier starts at a 7, then both eventually hit 10/10. The difference ends up more pronounced with Brother.

Worth noting that Replicant ver1.22 does improve the combat from "not good" to "serviceable."

Hm. Well, I might try it someday just to see all this. Thank you.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Seifers so cool

Unironically he's the best character in the game for me, despite how his arc kinda flounders at the end. He really needed to join the party for the final dungeon a la Leon or Kain.

But his arc is still really interesting and it's not like many other characters gets much development in VIII.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh having played gestalt and replicant i didnt feel like the remaster addressed my core issues with nier's combat. it still has weird balance issues that make the mid point of the game a bit annoying

also my engagement with ff8 has mostly just been laughing at the dumb jokes and enjoying the cool visuals and music. love the vibes of ps1 era square

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
could see selphie being a character some people hate. i see selphie i'm just like. hell yeah dude. respect

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
idly, is there any particular reason why they decide to have Squall go by Leon in Kingdom Hearts

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

could see selphie being a character some people hate. i see selphie i'm just like. hell yeah dude. respect

Rinoa gets the most hate of the main party, I think.

But Selphie gets poo poo because she's the "bubbly/perky girl," yeah. You always get folks who give them poo poo, even if they're like Rikku in FFX and aren't really that bubbly or perky and are in fact among the smartest people in the group.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Junpei posted:

idly, is there any particular reason why they decide to have Squall go by Leon in Kingdom Hearts

It means Lion

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yes I get it's a reference to his last name motif I want to know why they did that is all

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Junpei posted:

yes I get it's a reference to his last name motif I want to know why they did that is all

Because Squall is exactly the kind of dork to think that going by a pseudonym is necessary in a situation where literally no one else cares

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Junpei posted:

He’s a pretty different character in KH and I think the name change just helps sell that difference.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The only thing really wrong with Selphie is her bright fukken yellow outfit. Her uniform looks better on her.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Selphie rules, she keeps a blog that updates a few times throughout the game and it’s the best writing in the game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zell is the one I see most hated on, cuz he’s a dweeb AND a dummy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I normally don't mind "player has to deal with the character doing something stupid" but the ending of Prince of Persia 2006 was such a game-ruining experience for me.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He’s a pretty different character in KH and I think the name change just helps sell that difference.

Also it's fun to have Yuffie constantly calling him Squall and him getting annoyed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

Also it's fun to have Yuffie constantly calling him Squall and him getting annoyed.

Glad to know Yuffie will still be Yuffie no matter what game she is in.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Junpei posted:

I think the canon reason was Squall couldn't defeat the Heartless in his home world and had to abandon it and now he feels too ashamed to use his original name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Zell is the one I see most hated on, cuz he’s a dweeb AND a dummy

Well deserved imo

What's up with that one friend of Seifer that only speaks in caps until the end of the game, Fujin I think?

Was there a quirk about the way they spoke in Japanese or something?