Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Zero One posted:

‘A huge blunder’: GM’s decision to ditch Apple CarPlay, Android Auto sparks backlash

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2023/04/14/gm-apple-carplay-android-auto-ford/70100598007/

I'm glad GM is getting savaged by this decision.

Also...lol...
https://twitter.com/strngwys/status/1645889145078939651

I've worked adjacent to one of the big 3's tech folks on various in car stuff and im legit shocked that the play from GM wasn't we'll only offer android auto/car play. Because all these places employ thousands of tech folks, UX , testers, etc to make all these built in apps that 90% of consumers just immediately replace with apple car play / android auto. Then I remembered how awfully petty and insular the heads of the various divisions can be and well..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I would not buy a new car that didn't offer wireless Android Auto or Carplay in this day in age. Right when I heard this news, I marked the Lyriq and Blazer SS off the list of things I needed to concern myself about.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

adaz posted:

I've worked adjacent to one of the big 3's tech folks on various in car stuff and im legit shocked that the play from GM wasn't we'll only offer android auto/car play. Because all these places employ thousands of tech folks, UX , testers, etc to make all these built in apps that 90% of consumers just immediately replace with apple car play / android auto. Then I remembered how awfully petty and insular the heads of the various divisions can be and well..

40+ years ago, it would be Buick and Oldsmobile only offer Android, while Pontiac, Cadillac, Chevy and GMC only offered Apple whatever the gently caress.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just bought a car with android auto for the first time and it's pretty underwhelming. I guess I thought it would actually mirror my phone but it only does so for a few apps, notably my music app doesn't work with it which makes it useless for 80% of my driving. I can use Google maps but the factory nav system in the car works perfectly well for me and it's not worth the effort to fiddle with Google maps on top of everything else. The only useful thing for then is podcasts and stitcher, which work ok but to switch then between podcasts and music I have to switch between Android auto input and Bluetooth audio input which is another layer of complexity.

I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't really miss android auto much if it went away.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

I just bought a car with android auto for the first time and it's pretty underwhelming. I guess I thought it would actually mirror my phone but it only does so for a few apps, notably my music app doesn't work with it which makes it useless for 80% of my driving. I can use Google maps but the factory nav system in the car works perfectly well for me and it's not worth the effort to fiddle with Google maps on top of everything else. The only useful thing for then is podcasts and stitcher, which work ok but to switch then between podcasts and music I have to switch between Android auto input and Bluetooth audio input which is another layer of complexity.

I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't really miss android auto much if it went away.

Haven’t used android auto because I’m team iPhone superiority but Apple CarPlay is Very Good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, that's a problem with your music app not making a version compatible with Android Auto.

Meanwhile, my podcast app, Pocketcasts, has had an Android Auto version since forever and it's great. It auto lunches without fuss and gives a rich UI.

I put an AAWireless adapter on my cars around two years ago and never looked back. Every once in a blue moon there will be a launch delay, but for the most part I'm automatically in Android Auto and playing the last thing I was playing in the car without taking the phone out of my pocket and before I even get it in gear.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I don't know whether it was an update to the CX-30's software, Android Auto, or something else but as of a few weeks ago I can finally use the entire screen width for navigation rather than having Spotify on the side and it's wonderful. Zero complaints with Android Auto at this point, does everything I need it to do. A wishlist item would be displaying radio information on the side when I'm using it, but that's a car-specific thing I think.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
CarPlay &etc are a real threat to automakers, especially for EVs, which after the engineering settles will be more reliable even then current hybrids. Putting that stuff in the hands of somebody else not only loses valuable information, but also eliminates one source of new car buyers - people that want new stereo/UI/navigation features. I suspect that’s why it’s so damned hard to replace head units on new cars these days.

The number of people that pay tens of thousands todo this is well above zero; for years every time I rented a car with CarPlay I thought about trading in my beloved Volt that was the model year before CarPlay.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah all my rentals now have CarPlay and I’m addicted to it. It’s really good now

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

they're dropping them in favor of Android Automotive, which based on every recent Volvo review I've seen is like built in android auto for the whole car except bad

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh ya wireless apple carplay and wireless charging are a revelation

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

tbh I'd be happy if I could just get Google Maps/Spotify without having to take my phone out and plug it in

my experience from my last few cars/phones is that repeatedly plugging/unplugging a phone in several times a day tends to wear out the USB port prematurely

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Both systems have 3rd party modules that can be used to turn either wireless.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

euphronius posted:

Yeah all my rentals now have CarPlay and I’m addicted to it. It’s really good now

The 0 - 1 time per year I rent a car, yea, I always think "It'd be cool to have this" full time".

Although incidentally, I love the iPod style dial in my E91 for iDrive. I just leave it on Navigation view all the time even if I don't use it for directions, and having a physical dial to zoom in and out is extremely nice. Better than pinching a touch screen, I suspect, although that would be easier to pan the view with. I don't think I'd use the "enhanced" media connectivity much, but maybe.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I had a brand new Audi a4 last week and it was all wireless and seamless. Loved it.

(I rent maybe 40 cars a year)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'll eventually get the MMI box for my F80 so I can have carplay. It's not super high on my list of things to do though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Remulak posted:

CarPlay &etc are a real threat to automakers, especially for EVs, which after the engineering settles will be more reliable even then current hybrids. Putting that stuff in the hands of somebody else not only loses valuable information, but also eliminates one source of new car buyers - people that want new stereo/UI/navigation features. I suspect that’s why it’s so damned hard to replace head units on new cars these days.

The number of people that pay tens of thousands todo this is well above zero; for years every time I rented a car with CarPlay I thought about trading in my beloved Volt that was the model year before CarPlay.

Wonder if this is a reaction to Apple announcing their intent to have CarPlay take over every screen including instrument clusters and A/C screens. Would be kind of nice since my cluster doesn't integrate with CarPlay turn by turn directions, but also this will require hardware only available in new cars anyway, so.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

It's giving Lincoln MKT

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Polestar4 was looking pretty good until I saw the backend.
What the gently caress is going on with the little rear window slit above the big body colored metal?
Is that a safety thing? It looks dumb.

See here. About half way through the gallery, there is a big dumb white rear end pic.
https://www.motor1.com/news/662817/polestar-4-debuts-fastest-model-ever/

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 18, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the little rear window slit above the big body colored metal?

"Coupe SUV" it has four doors get the gently caress out of here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
What the gently caress is wrong with just making it a normal liftback sedan, GTFO Polestar

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

GM's newest product is the Buick Envista, a compact coupe SUV. Engine is a 1.2l I3 with 136hp and a 6 speed auto.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

In the bin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That. With 136hp and a 6 speed auto.

Looks like the curb weight is about 3200lbs which actually kinda surprises the hell out of me. Still though. That's going to be a slog to drive.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Why is that a Buick and not Chevy?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
For already dumb poo poo swoopy rear lift backs on SUVs are just so loving stupid.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm guessing because it's made in China

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Franco Caution posted:

See here. About half way through the gallery, there is a big dumb white rear end pic.
https://www.motor1.com/news/662817/polestar-4-debuts-fastest-model-ever/

I wanted the experience of driving the box truck at work in my personal vehicle too, thanks!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

GM's newest product is the Buick Envista, a compact coupe SUV. Engine is a 1.2l I3 with 136hp and a 6 speed auto.

I know “SUV” doesn’t mean anything anymore but this is a really bad use of the term

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh hey, they turned the 86/BRZ into a CUV.

If it sits around 3200 lbs it will have similar power/weight as my 07 Vue, which is to say: shameful and embarrassing.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For already dumb poo poo swoopy rear lift backs on SUVs are just so loving stupid.

I'd like a Sport Utility, is there any way you could get rid of the Utility part though?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

I know “SUV” doesn’t mean anything anymore but this is a really bad use of the term

Also "coupe" and "compact"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I still cannot believe that GM has two separate 3 cylinder engines with >1.1L and <1.4L displacement: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-chevrolet-trailblazer-fuel-economy-epa-ratings/

And also that they suck.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bigger than it should be (just like everything else) but actually looks decent.

https://twitter.com/ChinaDriven/status/1648164464116785153?t=ojMXtc2fCx3vD9nspkJr5w&s=19

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

But but but why doesn't it have a massive grille? I have it on good authority the Chinese market is driving that trend in every other manufacturer

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

There's a new Lincoln Nautilus coming next year. I quite like the exterior. The interior is...SCREEEEENS!. With a steering wheel that looks the bastard child of a Corvette C8 and Hyundai wheel.

https://twitter.com/aKellyBrand/status/1648115015977689089?t=3JFSOTRlC2yyNKKJQrs4IQ&s=19

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mental Hospitality posted:

There's a new Lincoln Nautilus coming next year. I quite like the exterior. The interior is...SCREEEEENS!. With a steering wheel that looks the bastard child of a Corvette C8 and Hyundai wheel.

https://twitter.com/aKellyBrand/status/1648115015977689089?t=3JFSOTRlC2yyNKKJQrs4IQ&s=19

Isn't that screen layout exactly the same used in last year Apple WWDC next gen CarPlay demo?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

It kind of looks like a Urus from the front and a X4 from the rear.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because it's the badge engineered version of the revised Trax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Anyone posted the Polestar 4 yet? There's no rear windscreen, just a camera. I'm sure it's fine. If designers think you don't need glass why not just box the entire car up, get rid of the glass entirely? Oh it ISN'T a good idea? Then put the loving rear windscreen in you dipshits.

https://twitter.com/CARandDRIVER/status/1648141518236971008?t=nP22SpSy-qKbDc6WrgXo9Q&s=19