Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd play a Star Wars Bsttlefront 2 Gundam game. Just a bunch of GM and Zakus and then when you get enough points you can spawn in as a hero unit.

This is basically just Mobile Suit Gundam Online! It was really cool, and you had limited points and four suits or so per match with stronger and cooler suits costing more points. So you had to decide if you wanted to start the fight with your cool gouf in the lead, or start with some zakus and then deploy your gouf last to help deal with the majority of the fighting going on. It was pretty tactical and fun, and the dynamic music that swapped between being more federation or zeon themed - as well as taking climactic sweeps to Amuro or Char's themes when the match was almost over and one team was about to win, really made it feel great to make that last push and take the win.

Argas posted:

GBO2 feeling so clumsy is part of its appeal and as long as it hits that niche, it basically has a captive audience. The joy of the controls is that you're wrangling your MS and when everything lines up, you kick rear end. The downside is, well, everything else.

My limited experience with GBO2 is the same problem that a lot of longer term online gundam games inevitably do: it's that the power creep feels real bad. I can't remember which suit it was in the network test that did it, but there was one that basically just stunlocked anyone it shot forever, and by the time your suit got back up you'd just get shot back down again. Meanwhile I'd shoot a guy and they'd shrug it off and shoot me and I'd fall over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nuebot posted:

My limited experience with GBO2 is the same problem that a lot of longer term online gundam games inevitably do: it's that the power creep feels real bad. I can't remember which suit it was in the network test that did it, but there was one that basically just stunlocked anyone it shot forever, and by the time your suit got back up you'd just get shot back down again. Meanwhile I'd shoot a guy and they'd shrug it off and shoot me and I'd fall over.

This probably isn't power creep, it's sharks in the water who have played a ton of GBO2 on console who know the game in and out.

There's no ranged weapons in GBO2 that knock people over - that's solely the province of melee connects. There's heavy stagger weapons which cause you to take a knee when you get hit, but those are quite rare and there were very few of those in the beta - basically just the Geara Doga Heavy's cannon(which has a recycle time of 7 seconds between shots) and the fully charged Hizack Custom sniper cannon(which needs to stand still to fully charge over several seconds and overheats very fast when used this way).

For suits shrugging your shots off, it really depends on what gun you were shooting - not every gun staggers - and who you were shooting. Most raid types and some of the higher cost generals have a skill called maneuver armor which lets them shrug off light staggers while they're boosting. The Delta Gundam has a beam coating which makes it resist staggering to beam weapons as long as it's over half HP. Transformable suits generally have a lot of stagger resist while transformed(as a tradeoff for them falling slowly out of the sky without iframes and eating poo poo if they do stagger in mid-air). A select few huge chonky boys like the Zock have passive super armor that is hard to break.

Were you playing unrestricted matches with a suit that was under 650? That would contribute heavily to feeling hopelessly outmatched. "Unrestricted" isn't really a format in the live game because suits are absolutely not balanced against each other outside of their normal cost tier. A 450 is at a giant deficit against a 550 in most cases, and in normal matchmaking would never interact.

Power creep absolutely and undeniably exists in the game, though honestly the selection of suits they put in the network test initially were pretty balanced against each other. There's some really fuckin strong ones - the Delta is an incredibly strong support, and the Baund Doc is in the running for best raid in the game(albeit being quite fiddly to learn to play), but the rest were fairly evenly matched as long as you were playing on-cost. The Unicorn and the Banshee threw all that out the window because they're extremely powerful 700 costs, but the normal set was fine.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jerid specifically is an inverse trajectory Kamille. Both start as relatively childish ego driven morons making poor decisions. And both get attached to OYW veterans early on, and have girlfriends with far more sense then themselves.

Kamille however ends up growing as a person, learning to fight for an ideal rather than for himself and his own power to the point that he's ready to attempt a possibly suicidal attack on Scirocco rather than allow him to live.

Jerid also realizes Scirocco is a bad lad, but he decides to play right into his hands on pursuit of his own dreams of power. In the end he is reduced to a barely functional piece of meat that cannot even drive himself to suicide for a purpose for fear of losing his life.

Marshmallow could be seen as similar in inversion for Judeau. Being a seeming Noble in love with the Zeonistic and Monarchistic elements of the Haman persona, as opposed to the Junkrats sympathy towards the fellow orphan whose life has also been one of constant struggle. But he's a step too clownish to take as a serious character. And the loyalty he feels to Haman is never really explored all that well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I never really got the vibe that Mashymre's loyalty to Haman was anything other than a really antiquated idea of knightly chivalry, because that was Mashymre's entire vibe. He decided he wanted to be a space knight and decided that she was his noble lady, down to him accepting a token of her favor.

ZZ Neo Zeon has some implications that Axis Zeon got kind of weird and aristocratic, with mentions of Glemy being from an important family so that makes him too important to immediately fob off despite being a useless goober to begin with, and of course we know Haman initially came to power because of her dad's position(before he went turbo ruthless and grew into the role). Mashymre being a space knight just kind of plays into that.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Jerid’s kinda goofy and incompetent.

I respectfully disagree. Jerid is a singularity of failure, to glorious effect.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

I never really got the vibe that Mashymre's loyalty to Haman was anything other than a really antiquated idea of knightly chivalry, because that was Mashymre's entire vibe. He decided he wanted to be a space knight and decided that she was his noble lady, down to him accepting a token of her favor.

Reagardless of how facile it might be for him to enknight himself the story of that action he takes lacks interest. And it's a trope that's been Don before, and in quite Quixotic ways.

For a start we could have him develop into his delusion as reality sets in around him; rittterally ensconsing himself in idealism as the outside caves in. Think of Mathilde de la Mole from Red and Black . A character whose entire existence as a bourbon restoration aristocrat is nothing but wisp compared to the glory she finds in the heroism and feudalistic fatality of her ancestors. Even when the whole of her hopes are dashed she still retreats into her fantasies in reduced repetition of her forefathers. No spoilers, if you haven't read it I'd recommend to do so; very fine Novel and very ahead of it's time. Particularly it has resonance with the IBO situation if one is a fan of that.

Conversely we could have the delusion crack and fracture until it shatters in a glorious fashion. A mental break like that of Paul in All Quiet; all beliefs and idealogy subsumed into the dullness of unreality created by the destruction of one's previous mental framework. Or perhaps he just goes nuts and starts doing some crazy war crime poo poo. Which I suppose he sort of does, but from what I remember he doesn't so much have an arc to get there; not even one one could infer.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I think we're all sleeping on Gottn. The sacrifical lamb that Tomino offered up to the narrative gods in order to make an extremely abrupt (and thus dangerous) sudden tonal shift.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grape posted:

I think we're all sleeping on Gottn. The sacrifical lamb that Tomino offered up to the narrative gods in order to make an extremely abrupt (and thus dangerous) sudden tonal shift.

Gottn owned as a character. As I've said before, he's this great balance of admirable, pitiable, and despicable.

And Mash is definitely meant to be rather sheltered and shallow as a reflection of Axis in general being so isolated from the Earth Sphere for so long. He's just a nice kid with a crush on his country's sexy dictator-mommy who hasn't cottoned onto the fact that he's on a murderous crusade (because space is huge and he's on the low-intensity outskirts of the conflict) and completely falls apart once he's confronted with the reality of being an officer of Neo Zeon. As opposed to Glemmy, who's a creepy entitled poo poo from day one even if we have absolutely no idea of just how bad he is.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kanos posted:

He’s somehow a sillier version of George de Sand in a show that is, so far, way less silly than G Gundam (not for lack of effort, though.)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jerid was never better than when he got thrown off of Kilimanjaro on a crutch by Kamille.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Jerid was never better than when he got thrown off of Kilimanjaro on a crutch by Kamille.

I know I said it before but when I first got into Zeta and was told "Kamille throws a cripple off a mountain" I didn't realize I would be applauding this seemingly horrible act.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

NikkolasKing posted:

I know I said it before but when I first got into Zeta and was told "Kamille throws a cripple off a mountain" I didn't realize I would be applauding this seemingly horrible act.

He absolutely deserves to get thrown off that mountain, that's what makes it so great. Jerid is pathetic, but he's also such an rear end in a top hat that you can't really feel bad for him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I love that jerid is "what if char was like super lame and sucked" executed with a faithful unerring dedication to that vision

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought that the goofy antics in the early parts of ZZ kind of gave you stakes later on; you actually see a (crappy but stable/not-horrific) status quo which is disrupted by the intrusion of war. It's a different kind of story. I can see the criticism of the level of goofball campy weirdos, but in my opinion, the more of that poo poo the better. Chara Soon can be both a ridiculous woman and able to fight, like, eight Purus at once and sort of win for a minute.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

I love that jerid is "what if char was like super lame and sucked" executed with a faithful unerring dedication to that vision

Actually you will find that Char is 'what if char was super lame and sucked'.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He owns

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Actually you will find that Char is 'what if char was super lame and sucked'.

Char is eternal proof that even creepy freaks with mommy issues can be cool as gently caress

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Char has a cool theme song, Jerid doesn't.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Crunchy is adding the Doran’s Island movie to streaming on the 27th
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...roll-this-april

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dub included? I'm enjoying the CR dub of G Witch but the NYAV Post stuff has had pretty much perfect casting short of bringing original Ocean dub actors back from the dead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Exia posted:

Crunchy is adding the Doran’s Island movie to streaming on the 27th
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...roll-this-april

That's good, I haven't watched it yet and I did want to, so I'll take the chance to do so once it's out in Crunchyroll.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

loving finally

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked it when Bandai put Thunderbolt and Origin up on their YouTube channel as new premieres and then the English dubs were out a month or two later. Not this waiting almost a year stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1648824222993747971?s=20

yooooo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Quickly, before midnight!

https://twitter.com/RedusTheRiotAct/status/1516811089358606342?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-timothee-chalamet-gundam-netflix.html

apparently the protag is gonna be named Kit so its safe to say the screenwriters do not understand the assignment

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw that as well but I haven't seen any other sites reporting on it. What's their source? Timothy Chalamet playing a youth protagonist is the kind of bog standard prediction anyone could make. Is there anything confirming he's actually involved yet besides one website?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It also might just...not be an adaptation of 0079, which is frankly exactly what I want out of this. Be your own AU, allow yourself to work in the strength of your medium.

E: Even if it's something like a UC sidestory, that's fine

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That's not the point. the point is the name is too sensible

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stairmaster posted:

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-timothee-chalamet-gundam-netflix.html

apparently the protag is gonna be named Kit so its safe to say the screenwriters do not understand the assignment

The name’s Kit. Gundam Plastic Model Kit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

That's not the point. the point is the name is too sensible

We don't know what the last name is yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Again though, is this actually even an accurate source? That website says that it's a Netflix movie when it's not. It's airing on Netflix but it's being made by Legendary Pictures.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Gripweed posted:

The name’s Kit. Gundam Plastic Model Kit.

Kit Injection

would fit right in in the 00iverse

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Waffleman_ posted:

It also might just...not be an adaptation of 0079

It also just might not be real, because it reads like something a troll would fabricate to rile people up by using a popular actor and kind of lovely premise, with nothing of substance to verify it.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's "Sales", because everyone loves Kit Sales.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean also yes it might not be true. That's just me guessing under the chance that it is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There could also be a ton of people "in talks" to star in the movie. Maybe there's someone else actually in talks to star and somebody floated this Chalamet rumor to try to get the actual guy to lower his price. Or it's completely made up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kit Bash

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chalamet is a very annoying actor. I can't wait until his fifteen minutes is up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gaius Marius posted:

Chalamet is a very annoying actor. I can't wait until his fifteen minutes is up.

I kinda like him for the most part. He was enjoyable in Dune and The King and did a decent enough job in Don't Look Up that he has some range it seemed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

He's doing a Bob Dylan biopic. Hes working with the vocal coach who helped Austin Butler do the Elvis voice, and apparently Butler uncontrollably talked like Elvis for several months after shooting on Elvis wrapped, and had to consciously work to stop talking like Elvis. Which means there's a reasonable chance that Timothee Chalamet will just be stuck talking like Bob Dylan for the rest of his life.