Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Egregious late hit against old man Pavelski and Dumba only gets 2 minutes out of it.
Video, for the curious:
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1648162727943196673

Refs went from no call to major to roughing on review, and it's not clear to me if the roughing was the hit or dropping the gloves when he's jumped by Domi. Domi dodges a lone fighting major, I suspect because they'd have to run Kirill as third man in if they called it.

Given it wasn't initially called and was downgraded upon review, I'm going to be surprised if Dumba has a DoPS chat over it tomorrow but :shrug: tough to ever tell what Parros'll do.

Hope Pavelski's just shaken up :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pavelski looked like he didn't know where he was. It would be pretty hard to believe he's going to be okay to play again this spring.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Egregious late hit against old man Pavelski and Dumba only gets 2 minutes out of it.

Possession of the Puck:

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

the rulebook gives a wide allowance for hits. no one else besides Pavelski had touched the puck, so he's still technically in possession. that would probably be a major in the regular season but this is the playoffs. can't admire the pass

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The other day someone was questioning if they would rather face Seattle or Minny in the first round. I was going to post that you would much rather play Seattle, because Minnesota is low key the dirtiest team in the NHL and you'd rather somebody else deal with that poo poo than have Dumba knock Pavelski out for the playoffs with a knee to knee hit.

I guess the lesson here is you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Possession of the Puck:

The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

the rulebook gives a wide allowance for hits. no one else besides Pavelski had touched the puck, so he's still technically in possession. that would probably be a major in the regular season but this is the playoffs. can't admire the pass

The rule book doesn’t even manage to be consistent with its terminology here, implying that the proper time to check someone is immediately after the next player has touched the puck

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Blindside hits, pavelski should stop admiring the pass with the back of his head

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

The rule book doesn’t even manage to be consistent with its terminology here, implying that the proper time to check someone is immediately after the next player has touched the puck

that's the idea. it gives us all leeway to argue that all hits towards players we don't like are good, and all hits towards players we like are bad

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Edmonton was up 3-1 with 10 mins left

Lmao

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oof. Pavelski. He was my favorite Badger while at UW and has been one of my favorite NHLers since. I hope that isn't the end for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X02EwkGqyto

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All the evil teams won.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some advice for Jamie Benn.

1. Shoot

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So let's see

Domi gets suspended for 10 games, Pavelski gets 20 for some reason, and Dumba is personally sucked off by the commissioner. Let's see how much of that I get right by tomorrow.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1648206359874109441

Faber, for being 8 days removed from the Frozen Four, had an unbelievable game.

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1648203032486719488

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
On the one hand, I feel extremely bad for Pavelski and don't want any cool dudes to get hurt.

On the other hand, the recent futility of Minnesota sports would make Tantalus content with his lot and if all four Minnesota teams get into the playoffs this year and get bounced immediately then I'm going to go feral. Even the fuckin' Gophers couldn't win a thing.

In conclusion, Go Wild.

Shinjobi posted:

So let's see

Domi gets suspended for 10 games, Pavelski gets 20 for some reason, and Dumba is personally sucked off by the commissioner. Let's see how much of that I get right by tomorrow.

This will also somehow lead to Byron Buxton getting injured again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dumba just made himself an extra $7M on his upcoming free agent contract

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Edmonton was up 3-1 with 10 mins left

Lmao

Same as it ever was

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Possession of the Puck:

I am now unclear on how icing exists, player still has possession!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Of significance here is that the NHL rulebook draws a distinction between "possession" and "control of the puck." Possession as commonly used to by fans is really "control of the puck" in the rulebook.

Possession: The last player to physically touch the puck with his stick or body shall be considered in possession of the puck. (NOTE 1) A player can have possession of the puck without control, but he cannot have control of the puck without
possession..

Control of the puck: The act of propelling the puck with the stick, hand or feet. Control of the puck is not lost when contact with the puck is made by an opponent, the boards or the net, provided the player in control of the puck continues propelling the puck.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I'm angry about my team and being facetious. It's fine.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I for one cannot believe the Oilers lost on such a funny fashion because it sure seems like the creator hates me

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I for one cannot believe the Oilers lost on such a funny fashion because it sure seems like the creator hates me

I have said nothing specifically because that was just game 1 and if there's one thing the universe loves to do around hockey is build up my expectations before crushing them in a hilariously (to an outside observer) soul destroying fashion.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 18, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I had forgotten what its like to have hope and excitement squeezed out of you in mere minutes.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So Oilers sweep. Gotcha

not quite

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

I have said nothing specifically because that was just game 1 and if there's one thing the universe loves to do around hockey is build up my expectations before crushing them in a hilariously (to an outside observer) soul destroying fashion.

The teams we cheer for are dumpster fires, you have to find humour where you can in these troubling times

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

As long as the Oilers stop taking dumb gently caress penalties they SHOULD be fine but ugh

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

As long as the Oilers stop taking dumb gently caress penalties they SHOULD be fine but ugh

Yeah they looked fine. The Kings aren't going to shut McDavid out again and get six powerplays. Skinner looked pretty shaky too and I expect him to rebound. Nurse was at his defensive liability best though lol.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Was Faber just in because Klingberg is out?

ThinkTank posted:

Skinner looked pretty shaky too and I expect him to rebound. Nurse was at his defensive liability best though lol.

Yeah I thought Skinner looked pretty nervous. Tentative reads and a lot of halfway decisions. Still don't think the Kings can survive no Fiala/Vilardi but man that was a big win for them.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A few Wild/Stars notes:

Russo appears to confirm that Dumba, even upon review, was not assessed with a penalty for the hit on Pavelski but instead for the aftermath with Domi:

quote:

After not calling Dumba with an initial penalty, the four officials conferenced and assessed Dumba with a major penalty likely because it would be subject to review. After watching the replay, the officials rescinded the major and assessed only a minor for his fracas with Domi, who was also given a 10-minute misconduct.

Per Yousuf, Domi didn't even see the hit before he pulled Dumba out from the refs and went to town (this is somewhat of a habit for Domi this season)

quote:

Max Domi, who admitted he didn’t see the hit itself, pounced on Dumba as a reaction to seeing Pavelski laying on the ice in the manner in which he was.

“One of your best players goes down like that, that’s hockey,” Domi said of his decision to fight Dumba. “Hope (Joe) is OK … I saw Joe laying there and you never want to see a teammate, especially a guy like that, down there.”
The Kafkaesque ludicrousness of it all is that had Kaprizov not come in at the end to try and pull Domi off Dumba (once Domi had Dumba on the ice with his helmet off and was still pounding away), the Wild would likely have ended the sequence with 5 minute powerplay. Instead, since calling Domi for a fighting major would've meant running Kaprizov for being third man in, it was matching roughing penalties alongside a 10 minute misconduct for Domi for continuing after Dumba went down.

Dumba, for his part, is one of the many people who've apparently forgotten the distinction between (potentially) legal and clean:

quote:

“To be honest, I thought it was a clean hit,” Dumba said. “I figured they were going to see the same — shoulder on shoulder. I don’t even know why I got the roughing. It was probably just because I was in the box already.”

It's unclear whether DeBoer is trying to mollify his team or he actually believes it, but:

quote:

“We have the best officials in the world,” DeBoer said. “They called a five, they reviewed it, which is the right thing to do. If they reviewed it and they decided it wasn’t a bad hit, then I guess it’s not for me to argue with that. They got to look at it at multiple different angles and that’s the decision they made.”
Yousuf, for his part, notes that even if the hit was legal it was "late, it was vicious and it was completely unnecessary." Most compellingly to that point, he uploads this screenshot showing the puck well away from Pavelski's stick while Dumba is still in his squat preparing to deliver the hit:

I can't hotlink his next videoclip but it's the second that follows this image: Brodin, next to Gus on the left of the picture above, has completely shifted body and attention from Pavelski to the puck... prior to Dumba initiating contact.

The Wild dressing room, for its part, was focused on a few illegal shots with what appeared to be clear intent to injure by Suter:

quote:

Wild players were ripping the longtime former Wild defenseman to shreds in the celebratory postgame locker room.
These are among the brutal crosschecks delivered to Zucc and Kaprizov:
https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/1648183350287388675
I'm a fan of the stripes on the first one clearly watching and determining that it was neither interference nor a crosscheck... just apparently a bad time for Kirill to blow a tire?

Given Pionk's blatant attempt to injure Johansson with less than a minute left earlier this week that seemed to have the playoffs in mind, the Wild are a bit touchy about naked crosschecks to their skill guys and I suspect the refs will have a misconduct or 3 to dish out in the game 2 as both sides look to settle scores.

It'll be interesting to see who has a chat with player safety out of this game. I could see anything from Dumba getting a game to Domi getting a fine (his Ekbald suspension for similar behavior was far enough in the past that he's got a clean slate).

All of that to say, I hope the NHL fixes this poo poo ASAP and that it's not as bad as it immediately looked for either Kaprizov or Pavelski.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
There’s a compilation video on reddit of all the times Max Domi has dropped the gloves and started punching a guy in the head while the other player is being held by the refs or has no intention of fighting

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/com...nt=share_button

Guys a huge piece of poo poo

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

There’s a compilation video on reddit of all the times Max Domi has dropped the gloves and started punching a guy in the head while the other player is being held by the refs or has no intention of fighting

https://youtu.be/ziOS2q0lRn8

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

T-Bone posted:

Was Faber just in because Klingberg is out?
The expectation was actually Faber and Klingberg together, with Klingberg switching sides.

Merrill gave the kid a chance to shine. Sort of...
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1648166946313994240

Wild brass have been high on the kid for ages, it's one of the reasons they targeted the Kings for Fiala instead of seeking a better pick. He also fits what Evanson prizes from his nonstars: smart, simple, reliable play. Along with Brodin and Spurgeon, it looks like they expect him to provide years of solid D work alongside competent offensive contributions- the question longterm is whether they pair him with Brodin aiming for an undersized shutdown pairing or take advantage of allowing Evanson to roll three trustworthy pairs.

The Dirty Burger posted:

What if the only way to prevent head injuries is to cause head injuries? :thunk:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I thought Skinner looked pretty nervous. Tentative reads and a lot of halfway decisions.

I can't recall the last time I saw a looping backhander from the slot go in the net. Skinner was a bit in his own head after that. I'm sure he'll shake it off and be fine.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Just gotta call those cross checks. The one away from the play is obnoxious, but it's the playoffs and dirty play will happen if it's let go. The one in front of the net is something you do every single time if the refs have swallowed their whistles. I imagine they'll tighten up game 2.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can hardly remember an example of refs calling a hit late because it came less than a second after the hit player moved the puck. Maybe in that phase when they cared about blatant interference of forecheckers going after dump-ins. But anyway there was definitely a high stick!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If that hit is late, it's barely late. I time it by hand at just about on half-a-second, which is the rule of thumb they use for late, so I can see them deciding not to call it on that. Bigger problem is Pavelski was completely unprepared to take contact, which once upon a time definitely made it your fault if you got banged up. More recently there's supposed to be some responsibility on the hitter to temper contact on defenseless players, but I imagine that's one of the dials that gets turned down in the playoffs.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

So let's see

none of it, but good playoff posting, very entertaining mini-meltdown

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Misanthrope posted:

none of it, but good playoff posting, very entertaining mini-meltdown

Clearly unfamiliar with my posting, you've seen nothing yet

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah they looked fine. The Kings aren't going to shut McDavid out again and get six powerplays. Skinner looked pretty shaky too and I expect him to rebound. Nurse was at his defensive liability best though lol.

Obviously McDavid is gonna get some points in that series, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Phil Danault has some sort of fairy magic or demonic pact that turns him into star kryptonite come playoff time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

chooo chooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Clearly unfamiliar with my posting, you've seen nothing yet

I think your posting was in perfect playoff form last night. Now you just have to carry it through to the next game.