Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
If there was a more functional rail system there might not need to be so much trucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Class3KillStorm posted:

What are the stats on truckers who own their own vehicles vs. companies owning them and hiring out bodies to operate them? And how many of those independent truckers are long haulers vs. shorter trips in more local environs? Does any one know that info or of any good resources to look into it?

It's definitely a move that needs to happen, and probably sooner rather than later, but if it's tens of thousands of people being affected then I don't know if they'll be able to keep that particular mandate in. (Other option would be for more trucking/hauling companies to invest in their fleets and switch the independents to dedicated employees, I suppose, but even in those cases I can't see how you'd avoid creating random holes where an independent trucker used to be available and isn't anymore.)

I think this is the kind of thing that makes people in middle America hate democrats. Trucking is one of the few occupations that allows someone to make a middle class living with almost no education. I have a soft spot for folks that drive trucks as when I was a kid my dad was a diesel mechanic who ultimately ended up running his own trucking company and is now retired.

I’m 100% for people moving to EVs but forcing truckers to go electric when we don’t even have good data on what the 10 year ownership costs look like for a BEV semi seems pretty unfair to me.

For those who don’t know, owner operators literally drive their trucks millions of miles over the life of a truck and rely on a network of repair shops across the country to keep them on the road. They’re constantly in need of repair so understanding what will break, when it’ll break and how much it’ll cost is important.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

SpeedFreek posted:

If there was a more functional rail system there might not need to be so much trucking.

Depends on what kind of trucking: Long Haul? Yeah, there could probably be some reduction. There would need to be longer leadtimes for just about everything produced in the US though because you would need to add in getting stuff to the railyard, loading the train, unloading the train, and then to it's destination instead of shoving everything onto a truck and it immedietly going to the destination.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah this will change the intermodal rail crossover point. Rail is going to drop the ball on it almost certainly.

It’s also not bad to dissuade long haul dtd and encourage more intermodal.

Yes it does suck for truckers and we probably should do something about that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sounds like trucking is critical infrastructure and should be nationalized instead of letting a bunch of lovely companies exploit people who have to self-finance, or at least much more heavily regulated and subsidized so drivers don't have to kill themselves or get addicted to meth just to do their jobs. Best we can do in 2023 is *checks notes* repair nine bridges I guess. Infrastructure week is back!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The trucking industry was in a free fall long before the question of electric trucks came up.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.news10.com/news/crime/man-charged-in-fatal-mistaken-address-shooting/

old white men with guns having a hell of a week

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

Sounds like trucking is critical infrastructure and should be nationalized instead of letting a bunch of lovely companies exploit people who have to self-finance, or at least much more heavily regulated and subsidized so drivers don't have to kill themselves or get addicted to meth just to do their jobs. Best we can do in 2023 is *checks notes* repair nine bridges I guess. Infrastructure week is back!

Nah, we'll do it like rail so the lovely companies are still there but the government can force you to work cause its critical infrastructure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Thanks for the article post. In the future, please try to post a brief summary or copy and paste the article. Just in general, people should be able to have a sense of what the article is about without having to go through a paywall or outside link. This is a good article expanding on the crazy trend of people getting shot when going to the wrong address this week.

Here's the full text for anyone else:

quote:

Man charged in fatal mistaken address shooting

WASHINGTON CO., N.Y. (NEWS10) – A 20-year-old Schuylerville woman is dead after allegedly being shot by a homeowner in Hebron. The Washington County Sheriff says it all happened after the young woman and her friends mistakenly went to the wrong address and a property owner fired upon their vehicle without any provocation.

“This is a very sad case of some young adults that were looking for a friend’s house and ended up at this man’s house,” said Sheriff Jeff Murphy during a Monday press conference. While speaking to a small group of reporters and the victim’s loved ones, Murphy explained how the shooting victim and her friends had been headed to a friend’s house Saturday night, driving through Hebron on Paterson Hill Road in rural Washington County and that they mistakenly arrived at the wrong address. “While they were leaving the residence, once they determine, they were at the wrong house, the subject came out on his porch, [and] for whatever reason and fired two shots. One which struck the vehicle that Kaylin was in.”

20-year-old Kaylin Gillis of Schuylerville was fatally injured. Her friends could not immediately call 911 as the area has spotty cellphone service. So, the group of four young people including Kaylin had to drive miles to a nearby town to call for help.

The sheriff named the homeowner, now charged with 2nd degree murder, as 65-year-old Kevin Monahan. “He was uncooperative with patrols on the scene. After approximately more than an hour of talking back-and-forth, he was taken into custody,” said Murphy. The sheriff would not discuss the weapon used or if it was obtained legally, but did say that there was no threat against Monahan on the part of the victim or her friends. “There was no reason for Mr. Monahan to feel threatened, especially as it appears the vehicles were leaving at the time,” he added. Monahan is being held at the Warren County Jail instead of at the correctional facility in Washington County. Sources tell News10 it is due to a family member who works at the lockup.

Murphy said there is no indication that law enforcement had any previous contact with Monahan or any reported trouble from his home.

There is now a GoFundMe page to help Kaylin’s grieving family cover her funeral and other expenses. Murphy says the Schuylerville graduate was known as a talented artist and well liked within her community. “I know for a fact that she comes from a good family. A very good family and I know them personally and she’s young girl that was taken way too young.” News10’s Anya Tucker spoke outside the sheriff’s office with one of Kaylin’s friends, who told her that Kaylin was a beautiful and kind person who will be greatly missed.

This is yet another different situation of someone going to the wrong address and being shot by the homeowner.

It is also in New York, which also has castle doctrine laws, but the shooter/homeowner was arrested and charged with murder right away.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thats a really horrible and sad story

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There’s a large number of Americans who are itching to find a reason to shoot someone.

It’s not a hapless accident.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Private property was a bad idea imo

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

kronix posted:

For those who don’t know, owner operators literally drive their trucks millions of miles over the life of a truck and rely on a network of repair shops across the country to keep them on the road. They’re constantly in need of repair so understanding what will break, when it’ll break and how much it’ll cost is important.

Don't electric vehicles break down much, much less because there's an order of magnitude fewer moving parts?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Don't electric vehicles break down much, much less because there's an order of magnitude fewer moving parts?

In my experience, yes. They are more reliable.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Florida

https://twitter.com/Lawmadillo/status/1648101369344131073

wow

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thanks for the article post. In the future, please try to post a brief summary or copy and paste the article. Just in general, people should be able to have a sense of what the article is about without having to go through a paywall or outside link. This is a good article expanding on the crazy trend of people getting shot when going to the wrong address this week.

Here's the full text for anyone else:

This is yet another different situation of someone going to the wrong address and being shot by the homeowner.

It is also in New York, which also has castle doctrine laws, but the shooter/homeowner was arrested and charged with murder right away.

I posted this article on discord, and the picture in the preview (which does not show up if you just go to the web page) shows a white woman hugging two dogs.

Is that a legit picture of the victim, because if so, I sense I have found the reason this guy was charged right away.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 18, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yes.

But the ones that get into accidents or have say brake/bearing fires with l-ion batteries in the tractor are going to be spectacular fires. Though I’m thinking heavy trucks are going to get the near lithium equivalent non-lithium batteries that still get called “lithium“ that are out now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Significantly more expensive to fix when it does break, though, and trucks have a lot more parts to break that aren't the engine. And we don't actually know how frequently electric trucks would break down or how much more expensive most of those fixes would be that would let us figure out whether that would end up as significant savings or significant losses.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes.

But the ones that get into accidents or have say brake/bearing fires with l-ion batteries in the tractor are going to be spectacular fires. Though I’m thinking heavy trucks are going to get the near lithium equivalent non-lithium batteries that still get called “lithium“ that are out now.

Gasoline has a much higher energy density than a lithium battery. Why would the fire be worse?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jesus III posted:

Gasoline has a much higher energy density than a lithium battery. Why would the fire be worse?

LiON fires are much harder to put out and tend to spontaneously reignite for days.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jesus III posted:

Lithium itself catches fire real good, and liquid metal fires suck.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jesus III posted:

Gasoline needs air, and to be mixed with air. Lions burn all by themselves, and spontaneously ignite if crushed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jesus III posted:

It’s a very different type of fire. When one is fire fighting a combustible liquid one uses foam.

These batteries a different class of fire. It’s a class D fire. But the ways of fighting D fires don’t seem to work great. It’s a huge problem for departments with home fires now particularly with ebikes.

With vehicles what they are finding is they can’t put them out. So they cool with water to contain until the batteries burn themselves out.

Google some videos and you’ll get a sense of what it is.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

We almost universally put out fires by removing their ability to consume oxygen.

Class D fires are self oxidizing. They are a real bitch and the safest thing to do is let them burn out on their own schedule.

I only know this because I recently nerded out on some submarine videos and they went into describing how loving problematic fire is on submarines.

Subs are cool.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 18, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jesus III posted:

Gasoline fires need a proper mix of gasoline and air in order to ignite, so they can be smothered by things like foam.

Lithium batteries produce their own oxygen when they burn, which means they can burn even when cut off from air. The way to put them out is to cool them down till they're cool enough that the fire goes out. But even after the fire is out, damaged lithium batteries can suffer short circuits and other issues that cause them to start converting stored electricity to heat, causing them to self-heat until they're hot enough to spontaneously reignite. This means they could burst back into flame again at any time, at least until the battery is sufficiently discharged or destroyed.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiw7ToN9bQI

To wit: A Tesla runs into a building and catches fire. After it's put out, it ignites again when the remains are being towed away and the local fire departments hose it down for hours. I've read about similar cases where the car catches fire a third time, at the junkyard.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's why you throw car batteries to sea, to keep them cooled.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

kronix posted:

I think this is the kind of thing that makes people in middle America hate democrats. Trucking is one of the few occupations that allows someone to make a middle class living with almost no education. I have a soft spot for folks that drive trucks as when I was a kid my dad was a diesel mechanic who ultimately ended up running his own trucking company and is now retired.

I’m 100% for people moving to EVs but forcing truckers to go electric when we don’t even have good data on what the 10 year ownership costs look like for a BEV semi seems pretty unfair to me.

Are electric semi-trucks even a real technology? The semi-truck application seems to demand a higher performance vehicle than the personal vehicle application. Electric vehicles are lower performance than normal ones.

It is ok for an electric personal vehicle to be slightly heavier--batteries aren't as energy dense as fuel--because personal vehicles are usually not loaded to max capacity. It is ok that it takes longer to charge an electric car than refuel a normal car, because personal vehicles spend most of the time being parked.

But I'd think that these drawbacks to electric cars aren't as acceptable in the semi-truck application, where the truck is being run at higher capacity than a personal vehicle. A heavy battery pack would limit how much cargo you could carry, and waiting a long time for your truck to charge would translate to lost revenue.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 18, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If you want to know how the electrification of truck transit will work then you should probably follow what China has been doing

https://www.sustainabletruckvan.com/china-electric-trucks-trend-interact-analysis/

quote:

In 2021, China registered nearly 80,000 battery electric trucks, ahead of Europe where just over 60,000 were registered and well ahead of North America where only 4,012 were registered.

Some solutions are the use of overhead wires, for urban deliveries I assume, and battery swapping stations that then responsibly eject the old battery to the sea.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Is there a significant advantage to moving to electric long-haul trucks instead of just investing that money in trains? Trains probably have way cheaper upkeep, too, since trucks already destroy roads like crazy and adding more weight is just going to make the problem worse.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingofRock posted:

Is there a significant advantage to moving to electric long-haul trucks instead of just investing that money in trains? Trains probably have way cheaper upkeep, too, since trucks already destroy roads like crazy and adding more weight is just going to make the problem worse.

The US already has dedicated most of its rail infrastructure to freight. It would be a significantly increased cost to increase the amount of rail and rolling stock over retrofitting vehicles for existing infrastructure.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nenonen posted:

That's why you throw car batteries to sea, to keep them cooled.

Nenonen posted:

Some solutions are the use of overhead wires, for urban deliveries I assume, and battery swapping stations that then responsibly eject the old battery to the sea.
Is this what we really do to expired Lithium batteries?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sorry if late but the United States, for example? The first vote I ever was old enough to cast was 2012, yet 2020 was the first time I voted while inside the US

I don't think you are an U. S. Representative...?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cheesus posted:

Is this what we really do to expired Lithium batteries?

Why not? It's a perfectly legal thrill.

(No, expired batteries can be recycled. The ones on fire though? Yeah kinda, we just usually end up bringing the sea to them one tanker truck at a time.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm not sure we'll see the US or its sphere of dominance remember how to build infrastructure in our lifetimes, at least under any political paradigms like it has now. The neoliberal disease is too far gone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SpeedFreek posted:

The US has more rail than the entire EU, and fewer derailments. It's all freight. What are you arguing besides "drat I'd love to pay lots more than what airlines charge to spend days gazin at the scenery between Boston and Seattle?"

Meanwhile drivers from the eastern countries of the EU work hours that make even the US trucking industry look good.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 18, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What are you arguing besides "drat I'd love to pay lots more than what airlines charge to spend days gazin at the scenery between Boston and Seattle?"

Do you happen to have a source comparing train costs to airline costs?

If you do, does it happen to cover the environmental difference between the two?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US has more rail than the entire EU

The U.S. is also well more than twice as big as the EU in area. If you take out Alaska the US is just a hair shy of being twice as big.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

In theory, yes. In practice we don’t have a ton of real-world experience running electric trucks. Tesla routinely finds themselves at the bottom of consumer reports reliability rankings and electric cars in general tend to be less reliable.

It’s also heavily dependent on the duty cycle. The life of a battery that’s charged on home charger and always charged before it gets too low is a lot different than one that’s fast charged and deep discharged on a daily basis.

I just think it’s bad policy to force adoption so quickly, I think the economics will do more to convince conversion than a policy that’ll just make people more skeptical.

kronix fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Boo! Hopefully Brown crushes him

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1648294794483859461

One can only hope.

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1648308189715111936