Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Maybe people have excess savings bc investing feels like a slot machine with the market crashing and spiking every other week and banks randomly failing just a thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1648336340830789635?s=20

incompetence, maintenance gap, or detection of a fleet-wide flaw? Exciting!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The "equipment issues" Southwest Airlines is experiencing is in no way related to recent NORAD and U. S. Northern Command operations associated with airborne objects over North America during February.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's a bit of all three

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

didn't their flight coordination system just melt down within the past 6 months? i wonder if some old greybeard left and their ancient mainframe at love field is finally falling apart

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

COVID.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

didn't their flight coordination system just melt down within the past 6 months? i wonder if some old greybeard left and their ancient mainframe at love field is finally falling apart

yep: Southwest CEO apologizes to passengers, staff after flight cancellation chaos

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's very funny that, entirely because of emergency covid measures, donald trump gave me more as president than any other president ever has lol

I only have a house because I qualified for ppp

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Picturing the middle manager who is inspired by this to start micromanaging even more and starts using pity city in their twice weekly status update calls, and laughing

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

taking over the world any day now, just as soon as it figures out things like "geography" and "some cities have the same name i should probably be consistent and not answer the same question with boca-chica texas and boca-chica dominican republic in the same paragraph."

but hey, it's doing a bang-up job of humanity there, doubling down on being dead wrong and storming off in a huff when called on it.

complete trash and an absolutely hilarious moneypit, I approve of facebook and google completely tripping over their own dicks trying to catch up to this incredibly advanced technology.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

that zoom lady makes my skin crawl

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

your gas stoves remain safe for now

https://twitter.com/Sammy_Roth/status/1648011011897843712

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Tripped up by a hyphen. Nice language learning model you got there.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

lol can't wait to see if the abortion logic wins out or business logic wins out on this, so exciting!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Harik posted:

taking over the world any day now, just as soon as it figures out things like "geography" and "some cities have the same name i should probably be consistent and not answer the same question with boca-chica texas and boca-chica dominican republic in the same paragraph."

but hey, it's doing a bang-up job of humanity there, doubling down on being dead wrong and storming off in a huff when called on it.

complete trash and an absolutely hilarious moneypit, I approve of facebook and google completely tripping over their own dicks trying to catch up to this incredibly advanced technology.

A chatbot that confidently spouts incorrect information and then throws a tantrum is definitely better than a system that can just provide clear and concise data without pretending to be "AI"

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
good news, Southwest is back up and running so if you didn't die in a fiery wreck then you're probably okay.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im not sure why you expect a language model to do spatial reasoning. that's not how they work.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

im not sure why you expect a language model to do spatial reasoning. that's not how they work.

It's "artificial intelligence" when we want it to be, but when we examine it's shortcomings we can pretend it's a "language model" and nothing more. A win-win!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah nobody should be calling it ai except as a shorthand because it's easy to say and most people know what you mean. people treating it like it's actual general artificial intelligence are dumb. it's a toy to gently caress with.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FistEnergy posted:

good news, Southwest is back up and running so if you didn't die in a fiery wreck then you're probably okay.

lmao

flying is such a miserable experience. shits gunna be backed up for days

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

yeah nobody should be calling it ai except as a shorthand because it's easy to say and most people know what you mean. people treating it like it's actual general artificial intelligence are dumb. it's a toy to gently caress with.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I know this is from a page or two ago but regarding weddings:
my wife works for a company in Southern California that owns like 5 different venues and they sell all-inclusive wedding “packages” for like 20-40k.
what really blows my mind though is that a Saturday wedding for any amount of people is automatically 10-15k more than the equivalent Friday or Sunday. the reason? because they can.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

and he gave us one of the funniest photographs of all time literally every single time someone took a picture of him during those 4 years

truly we live in blessed times

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

This thread makes a good argument for where a pivot to IP defense would fit in China's geopolitical strategy. vis a vis that draft:
https://twitter.com/Orugario_/status/1648276266842312705

TL;DR maximum IP defense makes companies set up there and they can lean on those companies to advance PRC narratives. Consider that in the geopolitical game of thrones.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China deciding to regulate the gently caress out of AI also blows a hole in the libertarian argument that the US shouldn't regulate AI lest an unbridled China pull ahead of America in its development

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

These loving freaks think we're still riding Brandon's $1400 from 3 years ago.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1648310455394238464

Paradoxish posted:

How loving weak does the economy have to be that $1400 from 3 years ago is a critical pillar preventing the whole house of cards from collapsing

HallelujahLee posted:

it isnt its just because they want to destroy any notion that they will ever do that again of course those savings disappeared ages ago $1400 is literally nothing

they aren't referring to the savings of people like you and me (the blue bars), they are referring to rich people's savings (the gray and orange bars):

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They know the real problem is the absurd inequality and rich people hoarding money, but there's no way they can touch them policy-wise, so we get the weird complaining about the labor market instead

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nothus posted:

They know the real problem is the absurd inequality and rich people hoarding money, but there's no way they can touch them policy-wise, so we get the weird complaining about the labor market instead

and labor will continue to eat poo poo in these panics every 4-6 years, it's baked in

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I read an absolutely braindead take somewhere that China will purposefully never top the US in AI research because the CCP would never let an AI become more powerful than Xi Jinping

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nothus posted:

touch them they gave them free money

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

I know this is from a page or two ago but regarding weddings:
my wife works for a company in Southern California that owns like 5 different venues and they sell all-inclusive wedding “packages” for like 20-40k.
what really blows my mind though is that a Saturday wedding for any amount of people is automatically 10-15k more than the equivalent Friday or Sunday. the reason? because they can.

Churches have more availability on Saturdays & PMC usually have the day off.

But yeah: It's a loving racket from top to bottom. I'm v. glad that my friends got married back when hippie weddings on the beach were in vogue, although now all their kids are having the expensive kind.

(Also jesus christ can people please come up with something other than pachelbel's canon for the march down the aisle? That, and kool & the gang's "celebration" played at reception should be outlawed on the basis of triteness.)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Glad I just got gay married with my roommate officiating and next-door neighbors as a witness. Whole thing cost less than $100, including the reception where I made some burgers.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

weddings and funerals are the biggest scams on earth for the same reasons

friend of mine got married in her late twenties and she put the cost of the wedding on her credit cards since she didn't have parents anymore to cover the costs. The credit card bills lasted longer than the marriage did.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

cat botherer posted:

Glad I just got gay married with my roommate officiating and next-door neighbors as a witness. Whole thing cost less than $100, including the reception where I made some burgers.

gay marriage is too powerful and, most importantly, not profitable. we must outlaw it

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

We spent like 20k on our wedding in February 2020, had 150 guests, and I feel like we got a good deal. The big savings was finding a venue (5k) that had bartenders who would serve alcohol we brought from costco (~750)

I could not imagine the prices now.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
a friend of mine admitted he did a 20k disney wedding and ive judged him harshly since

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
drat that’s more money than I have savings lol

actually 20k for Disney seems really cheap, I figured fisneyfreaks plop down 40-80k on that poo poo

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
sensing a new business opportunity for jeffrey

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My wedding cost ~5K seven years ago at a nice hotel with a decent reception. My friend DJed at the wedding and we didn’t buy booze because it would have literally doubled the cost of the wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
honestly yeah, 20k does seem cheap i think it was just for like 2 of them maybe some friends