Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that the only ST film in the pipe right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

Is that the only ST film in the pipe right now

Not sure, also I may be wrong, but it looks like its a Paramount+ movie, not a theateical release.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They had a section 31 short series planned but because Michelle Yeoh is suddenly highly in demand and very expensive they're compressing it down to a single TV movie instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

45 literally just proposed sanctuary districts.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

They had a section 31 short series planned but because Michelle Yeoh is suddenly highly in demand and very expensive they're compressing it down to a single TV movie instead.

i think it was a series, then a limited series, and now it's a tv movie lol

timby said the writers had 11 episodes in the can already, which makes me think they were planning far more long term

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bull3964 posted:

its on schedule

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

bull3964 posted:

Do you have an article? And are we talking 45 or 46, because 45 isn't in office (at the moment)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Feldegast42 posted:

Do you have an article? And are we talking 45 or 46, because 45 isn't in office (at the moment)

It's one of his campaign promises. It was a speech, says he was going to make being homeless illegal so those people would be taken to tent cities where all their needs will be met.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

swickles posted:

As long as Michell Yeoh gets to just ham it up for an hour or so I am down.

Picard proved continuity, consistent characters, good plots, sensible writing are all totally optional considerations. No reason we can't get Michelle Yeoh to play a new character completely unrelated to the 2 aborted disasters of a role she was originally given. No reason to make section 31 a thing when they could just make Michelle a different person. Ffs if I have to pretend Jack is related to Picard I can ignore that a new character looks exactly like an old one.

Or hell, Paris already did that poo poo and it was fine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watching the new Picard season (through ep 4) and that kid is supposed to be 23 huh

Also Cap Shaw seems a bit....unstable for a SF CO

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Please no this thread is my haven from the horrors faced in the modern Trek thread

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ah but soon modern Trek will also become classic Trek. The wheel of time never stops.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I'm good because if I come to hate it I will stop watching it. There are some eh moments so far (every second Raffi is on screen) but the old crew minus the title character are just like TNG. Old Man Worf rules.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Ah but soon modern Trek will also become classic Trek. The wheel of time never stops.

nah, plenty of room for different generations. we already have classic trek and that weird show that came before it in its own era.

and everyone who had the self respect to skip Picard made fantastic choices. It's so bad it retroactively makes me hate TNG

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Khanstant posted:

Picard proved continuity, consistent characters, good plots, sensible writing are all totally optional considerations. No reason we can't get Michelle Yeoh to play a new character completely unrelated to the 2 aborted disasters of a role she was originally given. No reason to make section 31 a thing when they could just make Michelle a different person. Ffs if I have to pretend Jack is related to Picard I can ignore that a new character looks exactly like an old one.

Or hell, Paris already did that poo poo and it was fine

There's absolutely no way she doesn't play Georgiou after the incredibly overwrought "to know [her] is to love [her] is to know [her]"-style eulogy they filmed in Discovery where every main character gets up and tearfully recounts how the murderous tyrant was actually the best person they'd ever met

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fuckin' bugged the poo poo out of me.

THE PEOPLE SHE KILLED STILL MATTER IF THEY WERE IN ANOTHER UNIVERSE!

Hitler doesn't get a pass when he goes somewhere else.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

how you actually ally with space hitler is the way they did it in farscape

'okay he's a murderous dipshit and he is definitely gonna screw us. but i don't see a better way forward atm. show of hands for plan hes-definitely-gonna-screw-us?'

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m in the stretch run of DS9 and I’m liking it but I really don’t buy the direction they’ve gone with Kai Winn. Like yeah she always sucked but it’s quite a turn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well imagine if you were the most significant rabbi in the entire world and you fell in love with a guy and hosed him and called him schmoopy and then he pulled off his disguise and was Hitler. You might take quite a turn too.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I would probably do some soul searching rather than becoming a satanist

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dukat has sexually transmitted genocidal urges

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Worf decapitates people casually whenever he wants but please nobody kill the space genocider.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If you could only show someone one episode of TNG which would it be?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

First Contact.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Shades of Gray so they get a nice sampler

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If I could only show one episode of TNG to someone it would be Sub Rosa or the Up the Long ladder

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Darmok

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Cause and Effect was the episode I showed my best friend and he’s now arguably a bigger Trek nerd than I am.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Real answer would be The Inner Light.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Measure Of A Man

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Masks if you want to just sever your friendship

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Inner Light and Measure of a Man don’t work nearly as well if it’s your very first exposure to those characters.

Someone’s first episode should be something good but not iconic and pretty typical of the bulk of the show, like Ship in A Bottle, Disaster, or even Cause and Effect. Something that highlights the problem solving that usually drives most Trek episode plots.

That way you hook them with something decent, give them a broad look at how the show works, and save the really character-centric and iconic episodes for later once they’ve had time to get used to the cast.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think Darmok is a good general One Trek Episode, you get the premise across and have a drat good story even without Star Trekkin' it up too hard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I feel like "The Drumhead" gets overlooked often in discussions like these. Amazingly prescient.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Schisms for your more horror oriented friends.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Cause and Effect doesn’t require the viewer to know any of the characters and is a good example of what TNG is like. A lot of the “best of Trek” like Measure of a Man or BoBW or even Inner Light rely to some degree on the viewer knowing the characters. Cause and Effect is solid, entertaining and economically communicates everything the viewer needs to know.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Def Cause and Effect. I don't think it's the best episode of the show, but it's one of the most entertaining and doesn't require any kind of pre-existing knowledge.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I feel like "The Drumhead" gets overlooked often in discussions like these. Amazingly prescient.

I liked when the first liberal said 'have you no shame sir' to Trump in 2017 and he immediately imploded and went away forever

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Cause and Effect doesn’t require the viewer to know any of the characters and is a good example of what TNG is like. A lot of the “best of Trek” like Measure of a Man or BoBW or even Inner Light rely to some degree on the viewer knowing the characters. Cause and Effect is solid, entertaining and economically communicates everything the viewer needs to know.

I don't think Inner Light really has anything you need to know about the characters ahead of time that isn't pretty well established in the episode itself.

Later on when he flutes with his girlfriend in the jeffries tubes sure, you kinda need to know why the flute is a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Dignity posted:

I liked when the first liberal said 'have you no shame sir' to Trump in 2017 and he immediately imploded and went away forever

prescient isn’t the term I would use. It’s boomer self-congratulation about how they shot down McCarthy and saved the day