Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

orange juche posted:

Everest is Darwin's perfect challenge, competent mountaineers generally survive it, while a lot of people who have no business near mountains but are climbing for bragging rights get turned into ice sculptures in the death zone.
Do competent mountaineers even bother with Everest any more? I'd think that photograph of the line waiting to summit would have permanently turned away somebody who actually cared about climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Surely there's somewhat harder times that avoid the tourist rush while not being levels of climbing in winter suicidal.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think that yall are forgetting that, even with the lame bits and lines and all that, being able to say "i have climbed the tallest mountain in the world" would be pretty fuckin cool

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

i think that yall are forgetting that, even with the lame bits and lines and all that, being able to say "i have climbed the tallest mountain in the world" would be pretty fuckin cool

yeah that sounds pretty cool tbh

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it seems easy to do though, which detracts from the lustre

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah i can already say i climbed the tallest mountain the world. what are you gonna do? stop me?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Achmed Jones posted:

Nah. Saying "I climbed K2"? All the respect in the world. "I climbed Everest"? Introduce me to your Sherpa, I bet he has some interesting stories to tell.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nah. Saying "I climbed K2"? All the respect in the world. "I climbed Everest"? Introduce me to your Sherpa, I bet he has some interesting stories to tell.

never heard of k2

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This guy has kind of a Captain Ahab look to him, which is fitting.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

wow you're so tough and cool, very impressive, this response could not at all have been predicted

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

The guy that died climbed Everest 10 times. I don’t get the point of doing it after the first unless you’re a Sherpa. Like, go climb another mountain dude, there’s lots of them, and Everest is just the worst.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

latinotwink1997 posted:

The guy that died climbed Everest 10 times. I don’t get the point of doing it after the first unless you’re a Sherpa. Like, go climb another mountain dude, there’s lots of them, and Everest is just the worst.

Maybe addicted to that Base Camp sex party.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Whatever happened on Annapurna is going to be one wild story if we get the details, something went very awry there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

latinotwink1997 posted:

He might have been a guide for tourists. I assume most of these guys spending their whole lives in the Himalayas are doing that.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Some good news from Annapurna, they found the missing Indian climber alive.

https://explorersweb.com/breaking-anurag-maloo-found-alive-on-annapurna/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mynameismud posted:

Some good news from Annapurna, they found the missing Indian climber alive.

https://explorersweb.com/breaking-anurag-maloo-found-alive-on-annapurna/

holy poo poo that owns

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

holy poo poo that owns

I’d hold off on celebrating until you see how many extremities he gets to keep.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

K2, Brute?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Has this dude been posted here before? I can't figure out if he is the 9/11 truther of the mallory/irving summit controversy or maybe has some fair points

https://www.youtube.com/@michaeltracy2356

at the very least it's entertaining to hear his take on the north routes and launch into tirades against the much more famous conrad anker and ongoing national geographic search expeditions. He seems to think they intentionally misled people about mallory/irving's route for ??? reasons. Apparently to fit a narrative national geographic wants to sell. I think the bulk of his theory is that mallory's notes among other things suggest he was on a different, slightly lower route which bypasses the '2nd step'. That is the most technical part of the modern north route, which has a had permanent ladder on it since the 60/70s and would have been very hard to believe they would attempt it. So this alternate route maybe fits the timeline a bit better with them having died descending. honestly you would need a excel sheet to keep up with all of these dudes theories

Also youtuber did the north route himself a decade ago and seems somewhat knowledgeable about mountaineering and the history. yeah but him going on and on about the 1999 team desecrating mallory's body and destroying chances of finding summit rocks doesn't really hold water to me. Although I think he is right that national geographic should release the drone footage from their more recent 2019 expedition. Which if you watch the documentaries seems to have been otherwise a giant waste of time and somewhat illegally conducted.

2019 natl geo: Apparently they requested and were denied the extra time to search the mountain, so they agreed just to summit on the ordinary time frame of something like 12 hours. Obviously that was not the point of why this celebrity climb team is on the north route. So they didn't tell their sherpas what they were planning to do, just to keep up the charade of summiting only. So they spend all their energy and resources summiting, while being pelted by storms, then while decsending one team member unclips from the rope and leaves the route to search for irving, which obviously made the sherpas go ballistic watching this dude go off rope and off trail. Probably thinking all the western climbers have gone totally hypoxic or something. so in the end they spent about 20 total minutes searching on a search expedition. lol

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I just got back to the states from my EBC trek. I'll spare you the fawning about how amazing it was and skip straight to the goon-relevant highlights:

I went with a group of 10 people, I left after getting to base camp while 5 ultimately are attempting to take the summit. One person in the group has a wikipedia page for being "the first <nationality> <gender> to <mountaineering feat a> and <mountaineering feat b>". I kid you not. All of the people attempting the summit were doing so for the first time and are mountaineers in their own rights with lists of accomplishments and not Canadian housewives with photoshop. I wish them the best of luck.

The hike itself is grueling. If you're roughly goon-shaped you're going to have a bad time. I genuinely wanted to quit on multiple occasions.

I met a Harvard researcher who was trying to get a good medical baseline for altitude sickness responses in people because apparently science doesn't have one of these yet. He also did an interesting talk on altitude sickness and general Himalayan health stuff including:
  • The Khumbu valley, with its incredibly massive population of stray dogs, has one of the highest rates of rabies in the world
  • Altitude sickness is a spectrum with HACE at the far end. HAPE is a different physiological response
  • Once you adjust for poo poo like "23 year olds think they're god and ascend too fast" altitude sickness susceptibility is not affected by age
  • 1 in 100,000 trekkers will be murdered by a yak
  • The highest prevalence of AMS and HAPE is among porters

I also learned about a wonderful charity that operates two clinics within the region on a full-time basis and an ER in base camp during peak season called the "Himalayan Rescue Association". They provide services to trekkers/climbers and use the money to pay for services to native Nepalese porters and guides with an absolute bare minimum of cost. If a porter needs rest and some medication, or if they need an emergency evacuation to Kathmandu via helicopter for emergency treatment, it's only 50 rupees (approx 38 cents USD) for them, no matter what's required. If you're feeling charitable, I highly recommend looking at this organization because they help as much as possible to take care of the population most heavily negatively impacted by the trade in ego-tourism. If you post your donation in here, I'll pledge to match the first $500 personally. https://www.himalayanrescue.org/

I'm more than happy to expand on anything or answer questions about the trip anyone may have. It's honestly an amazing time and I really suggest that anyone who can do it should.

<edit>Oh, and yak is tasty</edit>

One final note, I did actually register the domain lhotse.cx, and I'll have all the pictures and notes from my journaling up on it as soon as I can get around to compiling it.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 26, 2023

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

• 1 in 100,000 trekkers will be murdered by a yak

Paladine_PSoT posted:

<edit>Oh, and yak is tasty</edit>

Sounds more like justified self-defense than murder to me. :colbert:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

This channel led to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz9oI3B6v4c

Finally! I have been wanting to see footage of the summit from above showing both major approaches. The idea that the two very distinctive routes meet at the summit and rarely do the two interact (unless your name is Messner), has fascinated me, and this is the clearest footage of both in the same shot.

edit

Tibet approach on the left (with the third step and the Citadel), Nepal approach (with the Hillary step and South Summit) on the right. And Makalu slaying it in the background.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 26, 2023

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

Sounds more like justified self-defense than murder to me. :colbert:

Who's doing the self-defense in this situation? It could be either really...

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

latinotwink1997 posted:

I felt great hiking […]but then made the mistake of racing my friend the last 100 feet to the top (the lion statues) and instantly gave myself altitude sickness.

For reference I was 24 at the time

Paladine_PSoT posted:

• Once you adjust for poo poo like "23 year olds think they're god and ascend too fast" altitude sickness susceptibility is not affected by age

:hmmyes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ethanol posted:

Has this dude been posted here before? I can't figure out if he is the 9/11 truther of the mallory/irving summit controversy or maybe has some fair points

I think that Tracy is right on a lot of the facts. His narratives are more questionable.

He’s got to be insufferable for everyone he works with, or tries to work with.

Like, in the Green Boots video he uses the comparison of Semmelweis. And yeah Semmelweis was right in his thesis that doctors should wash their hands, but the reason that they didn’t listen to him lies Semmelweis’ flaws as in their own.

Tracy gets the story of Semmelweis wrong, and in doing so reveals some of Semmelweis’ character flaws in himself.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 28, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I think that Tracy is right on a lot of the facts. His narratives are more questionable.

He’s got to be insufferable for everyone he works with, or tries to work with.

Like, in the Green Boots video he uses the comparison of Semmelweis. And yeah Semmelweis was right in his thesis that doctors should wash their hands, but the reason that they didn’t listen to him lies Semmelweis’ flaws as in their own.

Tracy gets the story of Semmelweis wrong, and in doing so reveals some of Semmelweis’ character flaws in himself.

Yeah he's really over accusatory. I think after listening to other climbers on the subject, much from Thom Pollard's youtube interviews of a lot of search expedition members, that everybody seems pretty honest and open about it (including that it's all theoretical) while tracy sounds too unhinged. I definitely agree with pollard that they probably would have found summit rocks if they were there. They found things as little as half pencils in his pockets, rocks would have been obvious. I do think Mark Synott's maybe a little too convinced about the chinese having the camera story, I think a rumour like that probably would have more behind it than some pretty unreliable sources. But still even Mark is like 'yeah could easily be wrong'

Also with regard to Tracy's alternate route, when I look at that zig zag route myself it looks hard as gently caress, borderline suicidal. I'm not convinced at all they would be able to climb that without multiple scout days.

And I'd be pretty confident in assuming Natl Geo's drone footage, yes it would be nice to see them release it, but they've very likely peeled through it many many times themselves looking for stuff on the surface and there's nothing to see.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 28, 2023

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Weird History posted a new video, "what it's actually like to climb Mount Everest."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_UUjzxkIw

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

E: ^^^ I like the suggestion that you have to cross the Khumbu at night so you can summit in the day time lol
:thunk:

Is there any good continuous drone footage of either of the major routes? Preferably commentated but not necessarily. Am surprised I haven't seen such a thing, but seems like it'd be cool.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 30, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Facebook reminding me that it was 10 years ago today that I flew by Everest in an Air India 737 and snapped one of the best photos I've ever taken.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat. Nice.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Facebook reminding me that it was 10 years ago today that I flew by Everest in an Air India 737 and snapped one of the best photos I've ever taken.

How many sherpas died flying that plane while you just sat there taking all the glory! :colbert:

(but yeah what a brilliant shot!)

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

On the other hand, not being able to say anything because your tongue and lower jaw got frostbite and fell off, or because your dead fool body is still on the mountain, would not be cool, at least not in the same sense.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Daaaamn what a beautiful photo. You should submit that to some competition or other.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

if you think about it, all of us who have been on a plane have flown at higher altitudes than Everest :smugbert:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well I just watched that PBS Frontline 'Storm over Everest' documentary and I'm sad and furious all over again. What a loving waste. What a loving *shame*.

I feel like folk who've only heard about this thread think that it's full of bloodlust, that posters here actively hope people will die. And they don't realise maybe that it all comes from this howl of fury and distress that this *keeps happening*. And for what? For nothing. Argh.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Seattle climber dies at camp2 after suddenly feeling unwell. https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/02/asia/us-climber-death-everest-intl/index.html

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Seattle climber gets the jab, dies at camp2 after suddenly feeling unwell. Many such cases

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Daaaamn what a beautiful photo. You should submit that to some competition or other.

Exhibit A more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress. You. :patriot:

Absolutely Glorious.