Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I cannot wait to melt down when the Avs lose tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Dumba hit was lovely, dirty and predatory, but unfortunately I'm not sure any part of it was illegal except maybe the timing because the NHL doesn't care about safety.

He made significant contact with the upper arm first. Incidental head contact is allowed in the NHL.

He launched into it, but that's also allowed as long as you're not in the air on contact.

Pavelski didn't see it coming, but that's not their definition of blindside.

Timing is only a maybe because late hits are not well defined.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
If McDavid gets taken out of a series by a hit like that is the league going to care or change anything?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DancingMachine posted:

If McDavid gets taken out of a series by a hit like that is the league going to care or change anything?

Does McDavid make the other 31 owners money?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DancingMachine posted:

Absolutely. I mean we all know how hard the league has cracked down on the Crosby headhunters over the years.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Shinjobi posted:

So let's see

Domi gets suspended for 10 games, Pavelski gets 20 for some reason, and Dumba is personally sucked off by the commissioner. Let's see how much of that I get right by tomorrow.

You'd think that Bettman would have some sort of blowjob intern to delegate that kind of work to.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

God I missed playoff hit debates. It's my favourite sign of the spring.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's funny how a year removed from Crosby getting brained we're going to even entertain the notion the league cares about pretending to protect players.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The league put Wes McCauley on the Leafs/Lightning series I am going to lose it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Dumba hit was lovely, dirty and predatory, but unfortunately I'm not sure any part of it was illegal except maybe the timing because the NHL doesn't care about safety.

He made significant contact with the upper arm first. Incidental head contact is allowed in the NHL.

He launched into it, but that's also allowed as long as you're not in the air on contact.

Pavelski didn't see it coming, but that's not their definition of blindside.

Timing is only a maybe because late hits are not well defined.

Thus a basically what I thought last night when I saw it. Nothing that seems technically illegal just gross.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/miketgould/status/1648211260805386241?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

The Alberta Shower

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

DancingMachine posted:

no because it would rule

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

The league put Wes McCauley on the Leafs/Lightning series I am going to lose it

No, the Leafs will. The only question is what kind of meltdown will we see in Game 7.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Bolts in 4

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the first two games last night felt like regular season games. not a lot of snarl. thankfully Wild-Stars more than made up for it and Oilers-Kings was pretty physical as well.

i feel like every game except Colorado-Seattle tonight is gonna be pretty intense given the rosters. the only one I think is for sure gonna be nuts is Leafs-Lightning. god help the players in there

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

League feels it was a fine and good hit/hockey play. Guess a good and clean hit is going to explode kaprizov's knee or whatever.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the first two games last night felt like regular season games. not a lot of snarl. thankfully Wild-Stars more than made up for it and Oilers-Kings was pretty physical as well.

i feel like every game except Colorado-Seattle tonight is gonna be pretty intense given the rosters. the only one I think is for sure gonna be nuts is Leafs-Lightning. god help the players in there

The Islanders seemed to come out hitting in the 1st but quickly toned it down after it was clear that the refs were going to call penalties and that Carolina was going to score on the PP.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

League feels it was a fine and good hit/hockey play. Guess a good and clean hit is going to explode kaprizov's knee or whatever.

Don't worry the totally fine cross checks from Suter already got him covered.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

kill me now posted:

The Islanders seemed to come out hitting in the 1st but quickly toned it down after it was clear that the refs were going to call penalties and that Carolina was going to score on the PP.

charitably, I would have to believe the Islanders played a veteran game and tried to steal one without going too nuts on the energy knowing that Carolina was gonna come out buzzing. I think they'll probably up the intensity and try to grab a split in the next game and really start being dirty in game 3. it's just kind of impossible to not play like pieces of poo poo in front of a home Long Island crowd

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Can’t wait to watch Toronto out-LOL Edmonton tonight.

:munch:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jhet posted:

Don't worry the totally fine cross checks from Suter already got him covered.

Oh I'm sure more nastiness will follow, unfortunately. Murdering pavs of all people is certainly a cool move but what's done is done. There will be blood!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Oh I'm sure more nastiness will follow, unfortunately. Murdering pavs of all people is certainly a cool move but what's done is done. There will be blood!

Honestly, I think it'll probably settle down into a hard checking series from both sides. Hakanpaa and Faksa had some good solid hits last night and Marchment was flying into them too. Kind of expect it to continue. I'd put it down as easy money that both teams end up taking cross checking or slashing penalties in front of the net if this were the regular season. But it's not, so I guess we'll see who takes the first one and if they keep calling them or not.

I'd pencil in Domi to pick a fight in game 2 or throw a dirty check. Just what he does.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Whose brain is Trouba injuring tonight

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

Thousands of Devils fans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How do you tell?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Going to go off the board a bit and go with Vanecek.

Chris Kreider will nod sagely from the bench.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aphrodite posted:

How do you tell?

lmao

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1648332486517178370?s=20

Game 2 will be chippy.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

eXXon posted:

Thousands of Devils fans.

That’s such bullshit.

There are only a couple hundred Devils fans, tops.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I really think the actual part that knocked Pavelski out was his head bouncing off the ice. You see his head hit the ice in the one replay on the corner of his helmet. And given what we know about successive concussions/blows to the head could this be the end of his career? Physically he still has a lot to give but you really don't want his brain scrambled for the rest of his later life either.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

soggybagel posted:

I really think the actual part that knocked Pavelski out was his head bouncing off the ice.

Right. And the reason his head hit the ice was because it was a late (unexpected) hit.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's quite an odd feeling being on the other end of an impending hit-gate after growing up in the Stevens era.

Meier and Wood definitely have it in them to do something stupid tonight though, so there's that to look forward to.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Been a minute since I've seen credentialed, legacy media calling for frontier justice:

https://twitter.com/MacEngelProf/status/1648196545257283584

Particularly risible given how Dumba's career was altered over multiple games worth of aftermath for a legal hit in Calgary.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

T-Bone posted:

It's quite an odd feeling being on the other end of an impending hit-gate after growing up in the Stevens era.

Meier and Wood definitely have it in them to do something stupid tonight though, so there's that to look forward to.

I really am looking forward to NYR/NJD going off the rails in at least one game.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

Been a minute since I've seen credentialed, legacy media calling for frontier justice:

https://twitter.com/MacEngelProf/status/1648196545257283584

“Marchment justice” is one of the funniest and most terrifying things someone could call for lmfao. i’m gonna be glued to my seat looking for that in game 2

e:

https://youtu.be/PuAOiIxNASo

let me just knee on knee both of your legs at the same time

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 18, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
day 2 of the playoffs and we already have an op ed in a major paper calling for someone to get Bryan Marchmented. god drat I love hockey

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
trying to figure out which is worse: what they're calling for or making the thumbnail a completely scrambled Pavelski

They're both pretty loving gross!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

“Marchment justice”

should really be your new SA name

Might have to dust off the old Bratt jersey tonight for maximum sadness. I don't think I've even worn it since covid started. My Daneyko sweater used to have unreal luck to it though (the Devils have to be .850+ in live games I've worn it to). I can't remember what jersey I wore to game 4 vs. Tampa, I want to say I bought the Bratt jersey that season so probably that one?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
drat I missed Playoff Hockey so much.