Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

3 point night for Marner, which is surprising because he couldn't even hit 100 in the regular season.

If he keeps up this pace he could have close to 12 by the end of the Leafs playoff run.

Koopa Kid posted:

I think the Leafs have to give Samsonov another game to try to get right, but Keefe better be quick on the hook.

It’s possible that this result forces him into better forward lines but it’s equally likely he’ll overreact and it’ll be Wayne Train time

How quick? If the lightning score a minute in do you pull him and just completely destroy him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

How quick? If the lightning score a minute in do you pull him and just completely destroy him?

He looks pretty destroyed already tbh, but short answer is it depends on the goal and if he looks capable of keeping his balance

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
What's David Ayers up to these days?

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Watching the late game, and this actually looks like a cool logo for SAS

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1648511539899699200?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Turns out Ottawa’s other goalie was the play after all

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh goodness, Leafs. Oh goodness.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Already seeing stuff like this getting thrown around on twitter. It's the refs conspiring against Toronto.

https://twitter.com/NickHillierNL/status/1648499423826280450?t=GZ4QTlIqu2AqHiFKTG1f5Q&s=19

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
My favorite goals tonight were made by Wes McCauley

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Was a blowout tonight but if Hedman and Cernak are both out for an extended period this series could get interesting

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Already seeing stuff like this getting thrown around on twitter. It's the refs conspiring against Toronto.

https://twitter.com/NickHillierNL/status/1648499423826280450?t=GZ4QTlIqu2AqHiFKTG1f5Q&s=19

wasn't this the guy Mike Danton hired a hitman to kill?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Beginning to think Stone rushed back to play in the playoffs rather sitting around in tip top shape for weeks

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

wasn't this the guy Mike Danton hired a hitman to kill?

No idea! I'd never heard about any of this until the Leafs started losing badly. But I'm also not paying super close attention to everything Leafs-related.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No idea! I'd never heard about any of this until the Leafs started losing badly. But I'm also not paying super close attention to everything Leafs-related.

how you can be a SAS hockey poster and not remember the Mike Danton anthologies?

quote:

On April 16, 2004, two days after the Blues were eliminated from the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs by the San Jose Sharks, Danton was arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit murder. On July 16, 2004, he pleaded guilty to attempting to hire a hitman, who was actually a police dispatcher, to murder David Frost, his agent, and was sentenced by U.S. District Judge William Stiehl to seven-and-a-half years in a United States federal prison. To this day, however, Frost denies that he was the target. In 2011, Danton claimed in an interview with ESPN that his original target was his estranged father, Steve Jefferson.

In November 2005, the CBC program The Fifth Estate aired a documentary, Rogue Agent, about the history between Danton and Frost. In it, the documentary casts light on the controlling relationship Frost had with Danton and how he encouraged Danton to estrange himself from his parents, as well as an alleged incident where Frost and a group of his players abused Danton's younger brother. The documentary also focuses on a taped telephone call Danton made to Frost a week after his arrest. In it, Frost instructs Danton to plead guilty and ends the conversation demanding Danton say "I love you," which Danton does, further fueling speculation of a homosexual relationship between the two. In 2006, Frost was charged with 12 counts of sexual exploitation related to acts on three females and four males between the ages of 14 and 16, alleged to have occurred during the time that Frost was Danton's junior hockey coach, with the Quinte Hawks. Frost was acquitted of all charges on November 28, 2008; the trial included testimony from women who had participated in threesomes with other players and Danton.[5] In an unrelated matter, Frost was also acquitted on February 14, 2009 of fraud charges related to the use of one of Danton's credit cards; Danton stated that Frost had his permission to use the card.[6]

In July 2008, in an article in the Denver Post, it was revealed that Howard Kieffer, the lawyer who represented Danton in his murder conspiracy case, had never graduated from law school, and so was not licensed to practice law. In September 2008, Kieffer pleaded not guilty to two felony charges, and news reports revealed that he would not be representing himself.[7]

On March 19, 2009, the United States Bureau of Prisons granted Danton's request to be transferred to a Canadian prison after five years at FCI Sandstone; he was housed at the Pittsburgh Institution in Joyceville, Ontario. Under Canadian law, Danton was eligible for parole,[8] which was granted on September 11, 2009. Conditions of his parole include no contact with his father (who Danton now claims was the intended target), and no face-to-face meetings with Frost (widely believed to be Danton's actual target).[9]

Danton was released in 2009 and played like 5 or 6 more seasons of pro hockey. He's like the proto-Cain Velasquez.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

who would you pick as your "all time team?" well at least in the modern era

center - gretzky
wings - messier? and ?
defense - coffey and bourque?
goalie - roy?

edit: reminder i know jackshit about hockey

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

I’d be perfectly happy if Bunting never plays another game for the Leafs tbh

:same: hit the fuckin bricks

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

actionjackson posted:

center - gretzky
wings - messier? and ?
goalie - roy?

Do they have to be a winger? Because I'd just jam Lemieux on a wing.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

actionjackson posted:

center - gretzky
wings - messier? and ?
goalie - roy?

center - Gretzky
left wing - Ovechkin
right wing - Hull
defensive defenseman - Lidstrom
offensive defenseman - Orr
goalie - Hasek

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Do they have to be a winger? Because I'd just jam Lemieux on a wing.

i was just thinking of doing it by position. the only ones i'm sure of are gretzky (lol), i know bourque is one of the top defensemen ever, for goalie the only ones I can think of close to roy are brodeur, belfour, hasek

i know nothing about the really old players, but it totally blows my mind to see people playing without helmets. i didn't realize bobby orr had to retire at only 30

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 19, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Goalie is Mike Smith

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

actionjackson posted:

center - gretzky
wings - messier? and ?
goalie - roy?

We've done a few all-time drafts over the offseason in the fantasy forum. The 2020 version is a pretty decent read: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

AsInHowe posted:

right wing - Hull

Jagr, imo.

Otherwise, yeah.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

deoju posted:

Jagr, imo.

Otherwise, yeah.

I agree on that. Can't believe I blanked on Jagr.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jamwad Hilder posted:

While the refs had little to do with Tampa scoring a touchdown, a GM testifying against a refs family member seems like a conflict of interest the NHL should try to avoid scheduling

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

man i want to find an emulator to play nhl 93 again

you could always score against the computer on the wraparound goals

edit: omg https://online.oldgames.sk/play/genesis/nhlpa-hockey-93/9881

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's weird that in hockey the "modern era" even regularly considers players from 30+ years ago. Even "salary cap era" is getting a bit old now, it should be players that played in the last 10-15 years at least.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i don't want to hockey any more

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

While the refs had little to do with Tampa scoring a touchdown, a GM testifying against a refs family member seems like a conflict of interest the NHL should try to avoid scheduling

Coach not GM, but yeah that is not a good look at all.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

fermun posted:

It's weird that in hockey the "modern era" even regularly considers players from 30+ years ago. Even "salary cap era" is getting a bit old now, it should be players that played in the last 10-15 years at least.

Here's the dividing lines for "modern" hockey history, for the most part:

- 1967, NHL goes from Original Six to twelve teams
- 1972, WHA is founded, diluting talent
- 1979, WHA merges with NHL, league goes to 21 teams, including Wayne Gretzky and the Edmonton Oilers
- 1990, Russian/Soviet players start to come over along with far more European rookies
- 1991, NHL starts expanding to warm weather cities
- 1994, Gary Bettman hired, conferences and playoffs changed, and the first lockout
- 1999, Wayne Gretzky retires
- 2004-05, full season canceled due to lockout, wave of stars retiring just before and just after (Yzerman, Lemieux, Messier, Hull) and rookie stars coming in after (Crosby, Ovechkin)

I'd say there will be another dividing line soon, once Crosby/Ovechkin retire and we start to see some other kinds of major change. The new TV deals on ESPN and TNT in the States could be a dividing line, along with filling up with 32 teams.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 19, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
We're just about due for another dead puck era. One way or another we'll plunge into it within the next few years.

Also there is practically 100% going to be another full-year lockout whenever the current CBA is up. 2025-2026 I think. That's probably where Crosby and Ovechkin's careers will end and might cost Ovi the record.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McCauley shouldn’t be working Leafs games, but that was definitely a major.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone even gotten close to Gretzky's 200 points in a season? god drat that is insane

i'm guessing most of those assists were to messier or kurri

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

actionjackson posted:

has anyone even gotten close to Gretzky's 200 points in a season? god drat that is insane

i'm guessing most of those assists were to messier or kurri

Mario had a season with 199.

The most points in a season by someone other than Gretzky and Lemieux is Steve Yzerman with 155, followed by Connor McDavid this season with 153.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

McCauley shouldn’t be working Leafs games, but that was definitely a major.

It was called a Match

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A Jets player caught a sake to the face and needed 75 stitches

I have no idea how stuff like this doesn't happen every game

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Still a whole series left, but it doesn't look like VGK has fixed their offense drying up in the playoffs. At least this time they didn't outshoot the opposition I guess :shrug:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A Jets player caught a sake to the face and needed 75 stitches

I have no idea how stuff like this doesn't happen every game

Crazy poo poo

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Wes McCauley conflict of interest thing is not new, just because people only started paying attention to Leafs fans for schadenfreude purposes today doesn’t mean that nobody ever talked about it before now.

It’s impossible to separate Wes’s calls from usual wildly inconsistent NHL reffing but it is very unprofessional of the league to put him and Keefe together so often.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

These playoffs are drunk

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cool let's just do that three more times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
E: wrong thread