Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Toxic Mental posted:

There are a lot of right wingers in Europe who hate Donald Trump because of no other reason than he's American and a Republican who seems to support big military spending, which is antithetically to right wing ideology. The whole "classically liberal" and "classically conservative" thing being flipped/originalist there.

Absolutely. I think a big part of why Ukranian fascism continues to be relevant there is that is Ukranian first and foremost, fascist second. Ultranationalist ideology can certainly be appealing if your neighboring countries have spent centuries trying to russify your culture out of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm sure they understand. They just care more about stealing money to pay for their luxury yacht or summer house. It's someone else's problem if mobiks die with cardboard bulletproof vests or from eating moldy and rotting MREs. Or, "I'll just steal a little bit. Then I'll boot the rest down to the guy below me, and he'll buy the stuff, there's still plenty of money left", repeated ad infinitum and then you end up with spray painted airsoft gear.

E: it probably also doesn't help to serve in armed forces where you face a very real danger of getting assassinated by your superiors or president if you do your job too well and become too popular, for being a threat to their power. At that point gently caress it, just steal as much as you can and try to live a life of luxury while you can. What are they gonna do to you if they catch you? Throw in you jail? When the alternative is polonium poisoning at an insane dictator's whim?

At least the volunteers are also drafted from minorities and ethnically non-Russian regions, so them not coming back, or coming back horribly maimed with short life expectancy might be by design. Why spend the few resources on soldiers from Tuva today, when you can also spend them on soldiers from Samara tomorrow?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Hardcore nationalism and militarism is a definite byproduct of being a victim of an attempted genocide. Hell, just look at Israel.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

thekeeshman posted:

Speaking of bad takes from the BRICS, Lula has joined many of his fellow "leftists" in gargling Putin's balls

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-65307553

Lula is less pro-Putin than he is anti-NATO, and I think everyone should be able to realize why a leftist leader in South America that had to directly deal with far-right bullshit that either had direct or tacit backing of the USA might be a little inclined to say the things Lula says. That's before you even factor in the broader history of the USA's direct involvement with South America. I am not saying he's right, I'm saying he at least has some reason that explains it beyond the usual tankie nonsense from Euros or Americans.

Like, the above was his position all the way until just a day ago or so, and was getting a lot of press in Portugal due to the run-up of Lula's visit to Lisbon for the anniversary of the Carnation Revolution that overthrew Salazar. Yesterday however he stated that he "condemns the violation of Ukraine's territorial integrity" in unambiguous terms even if his position is still "negotiated settlement, as soon as possible". This marks a big pullback in his statements and I think it should be highlighted.

https://www.dn.pt/internacional/apos-criticas-lula-condena-violacao-da-integridade-territorial-da-ucrania-16201008.html Source is in Portuguese, I can translate anything else in the article if anyone is curious.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
From chatting with Ukrainians or people who have Ukrainian friends, by and large they say the same thing. Sick of kleptocracy, sick of pro russian boomers in power clinging on to daddy putin and just want nice things like joining the EU. These reasons alone are a good enough reason to support them to give them a chance to decide what they want to do and by all accounts it's remove the yoke of putin and have free will as a country.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

KazigluBey posted:

Lula is less pro-Putin than he is anti-NATO, and I think everyone should be able to realize why a leftist leader in South America that had to directly deal with far-right bullshit that either had direct or tacit backing of the USA might be a little inclined to say the things Lula says. That's before you even factor in the broader history of the USA's direct involvement with South America. I am not saying he's right, I'm saying he at least has some reason that explains it beyond the usual tankie nonsense from Euros or Americans.

Like, the above was his position all the way until just a day ago or so, and was getting a lot of press in Portugal due to the run-up of Lula's visit to Lisbon for the anniversary of the Carnation Revolution that overthrew Salazar. Yesterday however he stated that he "condemns the violation of Ukraine's territorial integrity" in unambiguous terms even if his position is still "negotiated settlement, as soon as possible". This marks a big pullback in his statements and I think it should be highlighted.

https://www.dn.pt/internacional/apos-criticas-lula-condena-violacao-da-integridade-territorial-da-ucrania-16201008.html Source is in Portuguese, I can translate anything else in the article if anyone is curious.

A leftist leader in South America should understand exactly why Ukraine doesn't want to be a puppet of Russia. If Brazilian leftists didn't enjoy decades of right wing dictatorship enforced by the US, why would Ukraine enjoy a right wing dictatorship enforced by Russia?

The whole "I'm neutral so I think nobody should support Ukraine militarily" is such a joke as well. No military support means hundreds of Shaheds and cruise missiles hitting apartment buildings and civilian infrastructure with no way for Ukraine to defend, while Russian tanks roll all the way to Lviv and Chisinau. It's ethnic cleansing and cultural genocide. Why would Russia bother negotiating if it can just take anything it wants in an unconditional surrender?

Meanwhile they pretend to be neutral, while only engaging diplomatically with Russia. Their position just seems to be to support whatever will stop people bullying their buddy Russia who just made a little oopsie when it launched a full-scale invasion and ethnic cleansing campaign against Ukraine.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

There are a lot of right wingers in Europe who hate Donald Trump because of no other reason than he's American and a Republican

This is obviously the correct opinion.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Right, everybody finish their glass!

What are we up to now, let's see cancer of the
  • Colon
  • Spleen
  • Butt
  • Thyroid
did I miss any?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it'd be easier and quicker to list the parts of him that aren't cancer

it's a very short list

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

KazigluBey posted:

NATO hasn't done anything to South America and any "leftist" with two brain cells to rub together should be able to see that Russia is a far-right authoritarian state and should not be supported or coddled in its war of genocidal imperialism. If your anti-Americanism leads you to make excuses for literal fascism then you're not a leftist you're just anti-American, which is fine I guess but then you don't get to claim to have principles. All these calls for "negotiated settlement" aren't any better because he's just trying to make the problem go away at the Ukrainians' expense, and we know from recent history that any ceasefire Russia agrees to will just be an excuse to rearm and try again in a few years. It is literally just tankie nonsense and the fact that he's South American as opposed to European or American doesn't make it any better. It's not like South America has any shortage of lovely leftist regimes either.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Lula isn't exactly a great guy, I think a lot of people get it twisted since Bolsonaro was such a slimy sack of dog poo poo that they think Lula isn't an idiot who has said and done some poo poo on his own

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

poverty goat posted:

it'd be easier and quicker to list the parts of him that aren't cancer

it's a very short list

Heart

zone
Dec 6, 2016

thekeeshman posted:

NATO hasn't done anything to South America and any "leftist" with two brain cells to rub together should be able to see that Russia is a far-right authoritarian state and should not be supported or coddled in its war of genocidal imperialism. If your anti-Americanism leads you to make excuses for literal fascism then you're not a leftist you're just anti-American, which is fine I guess but then you don't get to claim to have principles. All these calls for "negotiated settlement" aren't any better because he's just trying to make the problem go away at the Ukrainians' expense, and we know from recent history that any ceasefire Russia agrees to will just be an excuse to rearm and try again in a few years. It is literally just tankie nonsense and the fact that he's South American as opposed to European or American doesn't make it any better. It's not like South America has any shortage of lovely leftist regimes either.

As far as I'm concerned if a person justifies a war of illegal aggression against a sovereign country for whatever flimsy reasons like Russia came up with, they're no better than the fascists they claim to oppose. Why do we need Russia to supposedly act as some kind of check or balance against America when they're capable of nothing except exporting misery to the countries around them, and have wild ambitions about reviving the USSR? As far as I'm concerned I'd rather take the flawed America any day over a failed kleptocratic state run by an energy mafia. And ironically, NATO was beginning to show signs of crumbling even before the invasion happened, but now that it did, it was revived stronger than ever with the addition of Finland and soon Sweden. I have more sympathy for those unfortunate Russian citizens that understand the war was wrong, and hope for something better for their country instead of what they have to live with than any self-proclaimed 'leftists', whose only reason for carrying water for Russia in this conflict, is doing so because they're Anti-NATO and Anti-Americanism. It's possible to despise America for its excesses while not suddenly wanting to carry water for the Russian fascist state because they stand on the opposite side. Russia is only interested in what Russia wants, and that's their own ambitions. We don't need that kind of multipolarity in the world.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You don’t in fact “gotta hand it to” crime lord dictators and fascists

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The read I have on it is that Brazil is itching to invade either bolivia for its lithium or Suriname for its rich last name deposits that aren’t all just “Silva”.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Karate Bastard posted:

• Colon
  • Spleen
  • Butt
  • Thyroid
did I miss any?

Cancer of the soul.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1648625601446649857
Igor with another one of his trademark rants. This time he complains about the hypocrisy of the Russian leadership and propagandists, complains they're not being fascist enough, and complains still more that actual patriots and competent people are nowhere near the centers of decision making.
CW: homophobia

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Karate Bastard posted:

• Colon
  • Spleen
  • Butt
  • Thyroid
did I miss any?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/kirlant/status/1648748484055425033

dunno MoD, working out at the gym sounds better than Bakhmut

zone
Dec 6, 2016

This is a special kind of cringe even for a propaganda vid, lmao

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russian soldiers watching it wondering why he has none of that gear.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

Russian soldiers watching it wondering why he has none of that gear.

Please understand, Comrade Colonel Corruptovich needed to buy his wife a new pair of diamond earrings.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The ultra masculine 1kg plates

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

All the bigger plates have been welded onto T-62s as part of the latest upgrade package, such is life

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/kirlant/status/1648748484055425033

dunno MoD, working out at the gym sounds better than Bakhmut
some men with suicidal fantasies, I guess

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Every man is a Batmans. Everywhere all at once.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Toxic Mental posted:

All the ultra masculine jocks volunteered and are all war heroes now. I'd say they're now aiming to recruit the nerds except those guys all left during the brain drain lol.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Toxic Mental posted:

trololol you bet they were torn over including bigger plates but nixed it since it blocked the hot bicep shot

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1648718731483176961
So what weapons is Dmitry planning to sell the North Koreans? those MTLB naval gun technicals maybe? lmao

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

They did the analysis and went through with the operation, which consisted of moving the entire Putin 1 meter to the right.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Toxic Mental posted:

Its part of the visual metaphor. "You're achieving nothing useful in your civilian work, you should be dying in the wars"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

z-ussy

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Its part of the visual metaphor. "You're achieving nothing useful in your civilian work, you should be dying in the wars"

mad gainz lifting those washing machines bruh and dragging your drowning buddy through cold water

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Toxic Mental posted:

I could bench that.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

This. The spotter wants to sign a contract to be with the REAL MEN instead of civilian weaklings. The viewer is supposed to scoff at the pitiful weights.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1648644105558274048?s=20

:ohdear:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Sashimi posted:

I could bench that.

My granny could bench that and she's been dead for 20 years.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It's ok, I'm sure they'll get the guy responsible.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

beer_war posted:

This. The spotter wants to sign a contract to be with the REAL MEN instead of civilian weaklings. The viewer is supposed to scoff at the pitiful weights.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1648644105558274048?s=20

:ohdear:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1648763168984817698
Seems the civilians really are evacuating from Tokmak, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Which way