Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They've done previews for some Dark Eldar who seems to be a secondary antagonist? Or maybe party member? Either way I imagine it's related to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Anno posted:

Short new trailer with some new locations. 40K lore knowers seem excited by the bit at the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEw13YYPeOc

Can’t wait to play the demon town from act 4 of wotr again

Lassitude posted:

Dark eldar have some pretty wild tech so yeah, an unavoidable trap where your group is captured and you have to escape from Commorragh would make sense. Will be interesting to see how much of their depravity OwlCat will be willing to show. I don't recall either Pathfinder game having much beyond "bad guys kill civilians" levels of brutality though so I imagine it'll be quite tame.

You can watch demons rape a clone of your main character in wotr. That came out of nowhere.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 19, 2023

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DaysBefore posted:

They've done previews for some Dark Eldar who seems to be a secondary antagonist? Or maybe party member? Either way I imagine it's related to them

One of the main antagonist groups is a DA Kabal, which are independent fleet level organizations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Janissary Hop posted:

Can’t wait to play the demon town from act 4 of wotr again

Oh the demon town of this game will probably just be a demon town. Plenty of demons in Warhammer. Commorragh will be different if they do it right. Dark Eldar(Elves) hate demons more than anyone else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Dark Elder are basically the beings from Hellraiser but even darker and edgier.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I haven't followed much but I love 40k.

Is this basically going to be a tactics game a la X-com? Or do I misunderstand what this game is supposed to be like?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

totalnewbie posted:

I haven't followed much but I love 40k.

Is this basically going to be a tactics game a la X-com? Or do I misunderstand what this game is supposed to be like?

This is going to be a cRPG with turn based combat and likely some sort of strategic / map level mechanic to manage your Rogue Trader holdings, similar to their previous offerings in Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

This is going to be a cRPG with turn based combat and likely some sort of strategic / map level mechanic to manage your Rogue Trader holdings, similar to their previous offerings in Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

so far in the current version it's way more like XCOM then their normal crpgs. Cover mechanics, grenades, %chance shots, move/attack points, using a square grid, etc. it's all very much a tactical Xcom style design. One of the key combat mechanics is 'momentum' where if you are aggressively attacking and moving forward it builds up and you can use per encounter major abilities.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Shades of NWN, Pillars of Eternity, etc?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For those not particularly familiar with Eldar lore - or possibly 40k in general - the Chaos god Slaanesh was birthed out of the utter hedonism and debauchery the Eldar Empire had fallen into. Its birth annihilated the empire as well as instantly killed the vast majority of the race and devoured their souls. While the Craftworld Eldar had realized the horrible course they were on and fled before the Fall - and in the aftermath adopted an extremely regimented lifestyle as well as wearing Soul Stones to protect themselves, the Dark Eldar are basically the remnants of the portion that was fine with everything going on. And in the millennia since have gone "clearly we didn't go far enough." Admittedly their horrific cruelty isn't entirely for the fun of it (though it certainly is fun for them), as they way they've discovered to protect themselves is basically to throw Slaanesh other souls to eat instead of their own - with the unspeakable agony inflicted upon them basically acting as flavoring.

Commorragh itself is entirely located in another dimension and is hilariously massive - it's actually located in multiple interconnected pocket dimensions, at least some of which have literal suns in them. Incidentally, this is also why (plot shenanigans excepted) the city is basically unconquerable - the overall leader is entirely capable and willing of literally closing off and jettisoning entire sections of the city into the Warp if need be. Somewhat relevantly to Rogue Traders - and related to Wrath - the city also functions very similarly to Alushinyrra in being a gargantuan trade hub for those unscrupulous and arrogant enough to think they can successfully deal with the Dark Eldar and make it out with their own skin intact.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Most of the experienced Drukhari are also semi immortal. Barring their souls being eaten by Slaanesh if they have not been keeping up on their soul offerings, it's really hard to permanently kill them. The Haemonculi aka the Lords of Pain aka the Flesh Sculptors, have entirely mastered the art of manipulating the bodies and souls of most creatures. they can revive near any dead Dark Eldar brought to them, with more important people getting clones their souls can be inserted into in case the body can't be recovered.

Of course all of them are awful awful monsters

Haemonculus Anasta Skaiene posted:

"I've never grafted limbs this massive onto one of your kind before. I wonder if your spine can support the weight of the additional musculature? I have my doubts, but we shall soon find out conclusively. Feel free to express your discomfort as loudly as you find necessary."

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 20, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

A few seem to have kind of had a change of heart recently, as presumably those who joined the Ynnari aren't committing the same excesses any more, but given the Eldar in general and Ynnari in particular have basically fallen off a cliff in terms of new lore for a few years now, who knows what's going on there for certain. Hell, the most recent story arc had in the ending a surprise "It's been about the Webway this entire time" - again - and Eldar of any variety were basically a no show for the entirety of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord Koth posted:

A few seem to have kind of had a change of heart recently, as presumably those who joined the Ynnari aren't committing the same excesses any more, but given the Eldar in general and Ynnari in particular have basically fallen off a cliff in terms of new lore for a few years now, who knows what's going on there for certain. Hell, the most recent story arc had in the ending a surprise "It's been about the Webway this entire time" - again - and Eldar of any variety were basically a no show for the entirety of it.

Well the Haemonculi are the ones who did most of the work in crafting their horrible culture, and Haemonculi explicitly did not join with the Ynnari, and they were the ones who are always awful monsters even by the standards of the Drukhari.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Commorragh? Well, I guess that alone justifies the content warning posted earlier :stare:

EDIT: Forgot to include said content warning, derp.

quote:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION

The developers describe the content like this:

This game contains scenes and texts some people may find disturbing. They are not graphically detailed and presented from an isometric point of view, and most of them occur episodically. However, we consider it our duty to inform our players about them. You may see depictions of blood, gore, dismemberment, torture, slavery, and kidnapping in this game. It also contains textual descriptions and mentions of abuse, child abuse, sexual abuse, sexual assault, self-harm, suicide, cannibalism, and miscarriage. Player discretion is advised.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think they copy-pasted that from their other two Pathfinder games, lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think they copy-pasted that from their other two Pathfinder games, lol

Yeah 'miscarriage' stood out.

(Does that really feature in the Pathfinder games?)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah 'miscarriage' stood out.

(Does that really feature in the Pathfinder games?)

Kingmaker has (not main plot spoilers) a cult in the woods that wants to get pregnant with monster babies or something like that, and it kills a lot of the mothers, although I don't think you see much. There's also a separate plot involving monsters bursting out of people but it's more like Alien chestburster stuff. I don't remember anything specific from Wrath but there's a lot of rude material involving demons and the demon city.

The overall tone of those games really isn't that grimdark, though. The mix is similar to what you get from something like Witcher 3.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Looking forward to the Darven plotline in Rogue Trader

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Owlcat did a massive survey on the state of the alpha and released a bunch of stuff on the reaction and changes they're making for upcoming phases. Will link to it later as I am on tablet

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3698060718589856147

All the stuff. 144 question survey? Wow. Finger crampin.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3698060718589856147

quote:

A total of 521 people took part in our survey and, on average, gave our game a score of 4.35 out of 5! That is quite an inspiring result for an Alpha, and here at Owlcat we want to express our sincerest thanks to every one of you for rating our team's work so highly even when many aspects of the game were far from completion.

oh boy

quote:

Some of the players, even those who rated the atmosphere positively, felt that many areas were too shiny and bright and lacked the grim darkness of Warhammer 40,000. We took these comments to heart, and our crew is now hard at work measuring just the right amount of hopelessness and despair to add to the game.

shades of the D3 "fixer" screenshots. Like drat still need to see the actual game wtf.

quote:

Some respondents also noted that certain areas lacked the overpopulation and crowdedness that the universe is known for. We realize how important this is, and while technical limitations do not allow us to have thousands of NPCs on the screen at once, our programmers are working on considerably increasing the maximum number of objects that can be present on a single screen when compared to our previous games. Here are some of the preliminary results:

lore nerds demanding accuracy over function

quote:

Naturally, Jae and Idira are not the only ones who will receive updates. We are significantly expanding upon build creation and variety as well as adding many new companion reactions to everything that happens in the game.

Companions absolutely need 'more' in general to feel like treasured members and not some slot fillers.

quote:

Loot: Over 35% of the respondents wished that loot had been more interesting.
Progression: Up to 40% of the respondents were dissatisfied one way or another with the speed and variety of character development.
UI: Over a third of the players had difficulties reading interface icons and interpreting the contents of the combat log.

Loot is terrible, and 35% seems really low, the whole loot in general was boring as poo poo,

quote:

Furthermore, many of you mentioned that you would like to see a pre-combat preparation phase that would allow you to place your characters as you see fit. We heard you loud and clear, so we're already on it! We will be able to tell you more about this system soon.

Not sure about this, did Xcom do something similar? A pre-set phase sounds pretty standard for strategy/tactics games.

quote:

Space battles were not as well-received (3.4/5). There were concerns about the visual quality, the balance (for instance, encounters against Drukhari ended up being too difficult and not particularly fun in their alpha state), the slow pace, and the steep learning curve. And even though there were some positive sentiments (the space combat UI, despite being an early draft, was still praised for its simplicity and clarity), it is apparent that we have our work cut out for us here.

Yeah, space battles are real bad. Weird that it even got a 3.4/5.

Overall some good direction and changes, but the alpha opinions seemed to tend towards respondents who are w40k fans and min-max players.

Also, I didn't see that survey, never got an email, so no idea how they even solicited for opinions. Getting 8% response from an alpha seems really low because I for sure would have filled it out had I seen the option.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 24, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So, if space ship combat got a 3.4 out of 5, we're really looking at a 4 being passable here. From what I saw of the Alpha, the ship combat looked absolutely terrible. I sincerely hope that Owlcat truly makes Ship Combat and Colonization systems completely optional if they don't just remove them all together. I'm seeing echoes of the worst portions of the Pathfinder games.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Couple things they posted in the Reddit thread regarding the survey results

quote:

Redditor: Interesting read. I honestly felt most of the space combat balance issues would be fixed by implementing the ship upgrade systems, and allowing the RT to perhaps have a squadron of his own as time went on. 5v1 ship battles are going to be unbalanced no matter how powerful the 1 is.

OwlcatStarrok: Ship systems are a thing as well.

quote:

Redditor: really do hope more than anything the space combat becomes a lot faster. My biggest issue with Owlcat games are how you'll have momentum going with the story and then bam, you're taken out of it for an hour to deal with the mini game stuff. it's even worse if you lose a long space battle. I likely don't see myself interacting with this stuff too often and will probably opt to go the route I did in wrath, and save edit it out of relevance, but maybe with the right changes making it less of a chore I'll give it a shot.

OwlcatStarrok: It will be :)

and finally

quote:

Redditor: Great read. I know i'm most likely in the minority, but will there be an option to skip the space combat? An autobattle option like the crusade management, maybe? I really don't like it, but the rest of the game is amazing.

OwlcatStarrok: Not in for the beta, but since it more or less follows the same design philosophy as previous games, there's a high chance there will be such an option. However, do take time to check the updated and improved combat in the beta when it's out, it has made a few big steps forward :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Couple things they posted in the Reddit thread regarding the survey results

and finally

God, they really just love their bullshit mingame content so much.

Kingdom Mode was bad to the point of easily putting you into a doom spiral (auto mode could also brick your game), the HoMM battle system had 0 strategic depth and basically lived and died by having fireball+heal on your general (oh and auto resolve was always a worse outcome then playing it), and crusade mode on auto could also gently caress up your game by failing to start essential quest projects.

Zero lessons learned, constantly having to patch in auto modes that suck, just this absolute fascination with their game within a game system that is all effort they need to be putting into the main game proper.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The minigames aren’t going anywhere and it’s a waste of energy to hope otherwise.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

The minigames aren’t going anywhere and it’s a waste of energy to hope otherwise.

It wouldn't be so bad if they just trimmed the complexity. Like, a Chimera Squad vs. X-Com 2 style of scaledown. You don't have to remove the features but cut the systems bloat by maybe 75%. I even liked most of the kingdom management in Kingmaker, but there shoulda been twice as many throne room events, with half as many event cards and city buildings.

But again, it's a waste of good hope to think Owlcat would ever walk the path of brevity.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It’s part of their thing and either enough of their core demographic likes it, or they perceive enough of their core demographic likes it, that it is not going away.

That’s pretty much all there is to it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you're doing rogue trader, you absolutely need ship combat.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, ship combat was one of the things I was looking forward to in RT, as well as colonization.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Possible hint that the game will be entering beta soon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/131voz0/want_to_become_a_rogue_trader_explore_the/

In short, if you take a photo with a figurine at Warhammer Fest and post it, they'll send you a beta key after the show.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I'm so psyched. I really enjoyed the alpha content, it felt like a more complete experience than some AAA games have lately...

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Announcement about future reveal, maybe.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3700314962470150861
Possible hint
https://steamdb.info/app/2412890/

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Beta/Early Access set for next week 6/1 per Warhammer Skulls livestream

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New trailer as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql6ApN9Oo5M

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s part of their thing and either enough of their core demographic likes it, or they perceive enough of their core demographic likes it, that it is not going away.

That’s pretty much all there is to it.

You have to remember, they're writing for/with an ideal Russian audience in mind.
Russian gamers will murder you for a single dose of the HoMMs. Or basic civic liberties. You know, either/or.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm modding out ship combat the second I can. It was so boring in the Alpha.

Trailer looked cool. Who was that snake guy with the Dark Eldar

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Alien merc race I can't remember the name of. They were from the rogue trader tt game, I don't think they were too fleshed out beyond a pic and some stats though

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Alien merc race I can't remember the name of. They were from the rogue trader tt game, I don't think they were too fleshed out beyond a pic and some stats though

Sslyth. They had a single miniature in a weird Dark Eldar HQ choice that was a bunch of unique characters. Currently OOP, because of course they are.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Hellbore posted:

Sslyth. They had a single miniature in a weird Dark Eldar HQ choice that was a bunch of unique characters. Currently OOP, because of course they are.

Look, they need more space in the warehouse for stocking Primaris Lieutenants. What else could they do, stop making more Primaris Lieutenants?! Unthinkable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm almost certainly going to get this but I feel vague qualms that the game style doesn't fit the fiction very well.

How is the alpha?