Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

PC gamer type freaks like Dig-poo poo-tall Flounder-y have been paid off by Nvidia for years now to push dogshit graphics effects like raytracing that make games look real (boring) and run at 10fps. It pains me

Yeah they end up looking super boring and samey instead of doing cool aesthetics like Hi-Fi Rush which I’m absolutely certain is nowhere near as taxing as other designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I have freshly re-imaged my Deck after installing a 1TB SSD, but Decky plugins seem to be busted. VibrantDeck doesn't affect the saturation at all, ProtonDB badges don't show up, SteamGrid doesn't show any results. Any idea what the issue might be?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Suran37 posted:

I have freshly re-imaged my Deck after installing a 1TB SSD, but Decky plugins seem to be busted. VibrantDeck doesn't affect the saturation at all, ProtonDB badges don't show up, SteamGrid doesn't show any results. Any idea what the issue might be?

I imagine it could be something with the device ID of the drive but the first thing to check is a full reinstall of Decky and its plugins.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I don't know how often Valve updates their recovery images but I'd make sure the Deck is on the latest version before installing a fresh install of Decky. There was some release that did break Decky for a little bit.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really, if, when "docked", most games could, where available, achieve 1080p / 60 I'd be set.

This would make the deck number one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm slightly baised as the most intense game I run is FF XIV so its running 1080p/30 docked fine but I feel we're probably not that far off from a genral 1080p/60 standard.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm slightly baised as the most intense game I run is FF XIV so its running 1080p/30 docked fine but I feel we're probably not that far off from a genral 1080p/60 standard.

Takes a bit of effort to set up it such that you can sync things back and forth with your PC without having to rearrange things every time you re-download your settings and run them back on the handheld, but it does work and it's great experience once you get it going. (Didn't Gabe Newell play FFXIV while on lockdown in NZ on a prototype Deck anyway?)

Could never have guessed playing an MMO on a controller would be ideal in the first place, and certainly never on a handheld, but gods -- it works great, and I adore it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I still kinda believe that 99% of modern games could all have been made for the PS2 without losing much, if any, of the gameplay. I can’t remember the last time I played something and thought “other than the visuals, this experience would have been impossible twenty years ago.”

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Question Mark Mound posted:

I still kinda believe that 99% of modern games could all have been made for the PS2 without losing much, if any, of the gameplay. I can’t remember the last time I played something and thought “other than the visuals, this experience would have been impossible twenty years ago.”

Nope. PS2 had like 32 megabytes of memory, while today we use exactly 1000 times that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Big maps rule

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Memory isn't just for visuals, it also covers things like having more animations in RAM which means a larger and more versatile moveset in you action platformer or actively simulating more enemies simultaneously with each of them having a larger set of actions to choose from.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Question Mark Mound posted:

You realize the advances in tech are for more than just graphics, right?

... Right?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, you joke, but it's kinda totally true. The games that are put now, like RE4 for example, look fantastic, and I realize that if I say I can't imagine them looking better, someone could take this post 5 years from now and repost it, saying 'wrong!'. But graphics don't NEED to go much further, if further at all, at this point.

They really are Good Enough. They did it, everyone. They got there. Stuff can now be lifelike, so we don't need any more super advances or whatever.

These takes from like the late 90s and early 2000s aged super poorly because graphics actually looked bad back then, and even at the time it was incredibly stupid when some review would talk about "photorealistic" 3D or whatever. I remember a fawning Good Morning America segment about (I think?) Quake and even my dumb kid brain was like "no it does not look real."

But at some point between then and now we crossed a threshold where there really aren't any true artistic limitations anymore and people are basically just jerking off over whether or not a screenshot looks like a photo. There are games that are a decade or more old now and still look loving great compared to modern releases and I think that's pretty much the point where we can call it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like we've been hitting a point of diminishing returns in raw graphical fidelity where games nowadays don't really look that much better than games like 5 or 10 years ago and we're basically sort of "painting over it" at this point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like we've been hitting a point of diminishing returns in raw graphical fidelity where games nowadays don't really look that much better than games like 5 or 10 years ago and we're basically sort of "painting over it" at this point.

Yeah but they've also gotten stupid taxing, which is annoying as poo poo. A 4090 compared to a 1080ti is an absurd difference, but a 1080ti could handle almost any game at max settings when it came out. Yet games don't really look that much better. Like, yeah, a little, I guess. Still, a lot of games only run at 60fps on stupid powerful hardware. It's like developers decided not to ever optimize their poo poo and instead hope that people just have a $3000 computer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jokes posted:

The gaming industry should shift, like, 60% of the resources focused on graphical fidelity to developing games that are released in a finished state. I could give a gently caress about ray tracing, and its presence probably doesn't affect sales in any appreciable way. Yet every loving game releases in a hosed-up, unoptimized, buggy state that some are unplayable.

I normally push-back against "I don't care about graphics!" opinions, but I agree when it comes to most of the highest-end AAA stuff. You really get diminishing returns from a lot of this stuff, and in 99% of cases I'd prefer something run at 4k/120fps over having, say, ray-tracing (and ray-tracing is probably one of the better graphical improvements - a lot of stuff is even harder to notice). The improvement in visuals from something being super smooth and in higher resolution dramatically outweighs the improvement from having all the fanciest stuff like that (or, worse, stuff like NVidia Hairworks), so I'll always prefer performance in that situation.

You can make a game look really good and flashy without it running as terribly as most open-world AAA stuff seems to run, though I think in many cases it's just due to the game not being optimized well or something. Ghost of Tsushima both looks and runs really well, for example.

jokes posted:

Yeah but they've also gotten stupid taxing, which is annoying as poo poo. A 4090 compared to a 1080ti is an absurd difference, but a 1080ti could handle almost any game at max settings when it came out. Yet games don't really look that much better. Like, yeah, a little, I guess. Still, a lot of games only run at 60fps on stupid powerful hardware. It's like developers decided not to ever optimize their poo poo and instead hope that people just have a $3000 computer.

The biggest difference in performance requirements IMO comes from resolution; a card like a 1080ti can still run pretty much anything in 1080p/60fps. 4k is legitimately a big improvement over 1080p on a big screen. And 120fps is also a good deal nicer than 60fps (though not nearly to the same extent as 30->60 - it's basically a nice luxury but not a requirement in the same way 60fps is for me).

On a big screen, I want things to at least be 1440p/60fps, at least if it's a 3D game (2d/pixel stuff is fine in 30fps or lower resolutions). I'm willing to sacrifice pretty much any other level of graphical quality to achieve this, and I hate when games only give you a choice of 4k/30 vs 1080p/60.

The Steam Deck benefits a lot from this; since it's only needing to run stuff at ~720p, the demands are much lower.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyone running the RE4HD mod on deck?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Fuzz posted:

You realize the advances in tech are for more than just graphics, right?

... Right?
I know that, but in my head I feel like I can imagine them working in a more-or-less equivalent way on old hardware. Shadow of the Colossus and GTA San Adreas had big-rear end maps, Devil May Cry had complicated move sets, Dynasty Warriors had a ton of dudes on screen, etc.

Stuff like object physics might be the most obvious "this wouldn't have worked on old systems" piece of new tech, but outside of a few notable examples (HL2, Portal, etc.) most games just have it to make explosions look nicer, which is a visual and not a gameplay thing. That and online games, since you'll need the ability to display a much larger amount of players at once in popular towns in MMOs.

I think Breath of the Wild with the sheer amount of persistence and how much of the map you need to be able to see at once (vs other open world games where you'll need to slowly walk or drive to areas and so it can load in nearby areas) is probably the best example of needing newer hardware to keep it all working together - though I tend to forget that game easily since I didn't particularly like it. Hitman might be a good example of that too, actually.

A lot of other possibilities of new tech just feel kinda theoretical since I'm sure you could do wild things with it, but when I look at most games I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, pretty graphics are nice and I wanna upgrade my PC when Final Fantasy 16 comes out for it and I'll definitely play some games more for the visual style than the gameplay (Clash: Artifacts of Chaos looks great), but I just don't see new consoles coming out with promises of "this new type of gameplay would not have been possible before".

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006
I kind if agree with your point, but two of your examples ran like trash on their original hardware. - PS2 Shadow of the Colossus ran at 20fps despite most of the world being empty AF, and Breath of the Wild chugs *hard* in any area with lighting effects (like the Deku tree).

I wish that there was a push towards using AI-based tech to get better performance with lower power consumption. DLSS is incredible, but nVidia is only interested in making ultra expensive cards with absurd power requirements. Hopefully Intel can step up it's game with XeSS....

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How is AI going to achieve that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DLSS , it's in the post

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's weird how just 5 years ago frame interpolation and resolution upscaling was universally considered poo poo, but when nvidia decides "actually this stupid poo poo is good" everyone stans

meanwhile the games perform worse than in the past despite that lmfao

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Did anyone play the Havendock demo on this thing?

It looks right up my alley when it releases in an hour or so but I'm pretty sure it's lacking controller support.

I tried download the demo but it shows up as 0B and that's how much it downloads. Seems to be showing correctly on pc weirdly enough.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Suburban Dad posted:

I put in a 512gb into my 64gb deck, here are my thoughts. Take out the SD card, it will break in half of you try to remove the back otherwise. Do not forget. If you have an old, slow USB drive, it will seem like it's taking forever. I think mine took a couple hours like this. Be patient, walk away while it's doing it's thing and check on it periodically. When it finally did work, updating the OS takes forever too and may freeze up. I think something was screwed up in it getting WiFi for that first big update. Mine keep going to like 99% and starting over. Just reboot it and keep trying and it should eventually work. This part was the worst IMO. Thinking it was good and then nothing happened after a couple hours.

It's not a fun process but hopefully yours goes smoothly. Worst case you swap the SSD and you're back where you were anyway.

OK so I’ve been tinkering with this today. The hardware side is done now, SSD replaced and Deck re-assembled.

I’ve got as far as booting the Deck from the USB I prepared previously with the SteamOS files. Both the Deck and the monitor it’s plugged into are currently on. There’s no fan noise and I’ve just got black screens at the moment, although there is a mouse cursor on my monitor which does respond to the mouse that’s also connected to my Dock.

I assume this is one of the parts of the process that you referred to as taking a while?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
A couple people have hinted that they use the sd as a pc sometimes. Anyone have any luck running windows in a vm on it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why would you run it in a VM? You can install windows natively

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why would you install windows on it? You could just not

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

I mean, why would you... at all?

I can imagine it works fairly well as a regular PC. The CPU, as I understand it, is slightly under powered (in lieu of more power to the GPU) and the RAM is "slow", but for most desktop applications, I don't see it being problematic.

poo poo, if you have a hard-on for Office apps, I bet they run just fine in Proton. WineHQ lists it as (mostly) Gold, so the support is there.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
My 2tb drive from aliexpress arrived today; 1 week turnaround to the UK (ordered on 13th April). Fortunately I've got an NVME enclosure already, so I think I'll go down the cloning route.

(and I'll absolutely remember to remove my microsd card before any tinkering!)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

to play Destiny 2 i suppose. i formatted my Windows SD card after a week, it was a pain in the rear end on deck. wasn't worth it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you want to play Destiny 2 it's about a billion times easier to just play it on GFN. It also ends up looking and playing better than it does natively.

I realized I just plain don't like Destiny 2 which is probably the best approach to Destiny 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I teach technology for a living and need to have arbitrary versions of software for demos and stuff like snapshots. Linux and macOS have very good built in tools for how I like to work, but I need windows any time I have to show a student something.

I do my job on a PC fine but I would just prefer to have my demo environment be virtualized and separate from the main work spot.

And yeah, it’s not essential because I have a pretty good setup with my Mac and gaming pc, but the key to good teaching is contingency planning and it would be great to have the deck available as an emergency work computer.

Just booting into windows off an sd card is also good so that’s probably the way to go, even though it’s not perfect.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

tuyop posted:

And yeah, it’s not essential because I have a pretty good setup with my Mac and gaming pc, but the key to good teaching is contingency planning and it would be great to have the deck available as an emergency work computer.

You want your work back up to be... your gaming focused SteamDeck, so that you can run VMs (which you can already do)?

I...

If I showed up to a meeting and my work laptop failed for whatever reason while giving a presentation. My next step would not be to whip out my Deck (lol) and try and demo it there. If I were giving a demo (and I have), I would just have another machine ready to go. Or bring it up in a viewer on a larger VM server, or literally anything other than trying to show my customer a product on a game platform. Holy poo poo, what the actual gently caress. Even if you're a teacher, what the gently caress? Get a goddamn backup device. Not a game console.

:psyboom:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mario taught typing once before, he can do it again

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They keep saying $10 on a forum account has to be the best money per return investment ever, and whenever I read baffling stories like this I go :haibrow: best money indeed.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Just finished my 1TB SSD replacement.

I don't think I've ever been more relieved to see the log in screen of an operating system. The hardware part of replacing the drive is super easy, 10 minutes at most, but it was followed by a few hours there of blank screens, re-starting the process and parts of it being slow as gently caress. Some of that was maybe undue anxiety and the slowness of the USB drive I loaded the SteamOS recovery to, but still.

Alongside removing your SD cards first, I think the other key piece of information to this process is to use a sufficiently fast flash drive or buy a USB-C one. From reading around, that would have been an enormous time and anxiety saving for me today.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
libvirt / virt-manager (or virtualbox, ugh) should work fine on the Deck. Windows is really finicky, though, and its RAM hungriness will lead to issues.

You can reduce Windows' idle resource usage by adding hyper-v enablements to the VM, but, like, you are in some deep wizardry area at that point.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Saoshyant posted:

They keep saying $10 on a forum account has to be the best money per return investment ever, and whenever I read baffling stories like this I go :haibrow: best money indeed.
I can almost see the scene play out:

quote:

Aw poo poo! Looks like my desktop crashed, again. Sigh, fuckin' IT. Hang on.

*Rustles around behind the desk, unzips deck case, presses power button on the top*

Okay, now just pluuug this in. There.

Okay, so just ignore the hentai games while I swap into. gently caress! C'mon bro stop messaging me at work!

Sigh

Okay, there we go, desktop. Uh, lets see if I can use these little pads to.. gently caress... grr.. c'mooonnn.. Okay, there.

Password? Oh, hang on Steam + X... and on screen keyboard, beep bop boo, yeah. Oh y'all saw that? gently caress.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

unruly posted:

You want your work back up to be... your gaming focused SteamDeck, so that you can run VMs (which you can already do)?

I...

Well, I work entirely remotely so it’s not like anyone sees what my devices look like. I don’t go present my kpi’s in some board room somewhere, i try to explain where the taskbar is to people and how to right-click their mouse over zoom.

And I’m just asking because I already have this thing, not some other thing. Just wondering if this thing I have can do something I already need to do, in case the way I already do it fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Tbh., I've been in that sort of situation before. There's a reason I carry multiple devices to important presentations. My own presentation laptop, a USB stick with the presentation and a portable version of Libreoffice, a link to the presentation on my own Nextcloud instance…

I totally get being crazy prepared. Customs hosed up your Laptop? Have a backup. Have a backup for your backup. Be prepared to hold your presentation on chalkboard if necessary.