Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Phy posted:

Due to riding 6 months or less out of the year, I've got nearly permanent Car Brain in terms of where I get comfortable with sound/vibration, so I rely on the tach to taunt me into using the actual rev range available or else sell the bike and go buy one of those Hondas with half a Fit motor

Kind of the inverse for me - I'm so used to inertial feedback from my bike that on the rare occasions I drive, I end up going absurdly fast. No wind, no vibrations, and I can still hear the radio, can't be going that fast *glances at dash* ohshitimdoing110shitshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm not yet used to having a gear indicator since the last bike didn't but yeah, it's not super useful. I don't look at it much so it doesn't always prevent me from checking for 7th. It doesn't prevent me from being in too high a gear either, but In fairness to the SV it's more forgiving than the little honda if I mess up since the engine has way more punch down low and doesn't fall completely flat on its face when I lug it by mistake. The tach is purely academic information IMO, there's a rev limiter to protect the engine so whatever, I can hear and feel all I need to know. The speedo is good for keeping my licence, but if it weren't for the existence of cops I think I'd be perfectly happy with just a set of lights for temp, fuel, neutral, blinkers and high beam as the only instrumentation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

I'm not yet used to having a gear indicator since the last bike didn't but yeah, it's not super useful. I don't look at it much so it doesn't always prevent me from checking for 7th. It doesn't prevent me from being in too high a gear either, but In fairness to the SV it's more forgiving than the little honda if I mess up since the engine has way more punch down low and doesn't fall completely flat on its face when I lug it by mistake. The tach is purely academic information IMO, there's a rev limiter to protect the engine so whatever, I can hear and feel all I need to know. The speedo is good for keeping my licence, but if it weren't for the existence of cops I think I'd be perfectly happy with just a set of lights for temp, fuel, neutral, blinkers and high beam as the only instrumentation.

This is all correct in the biblical sense and tbh even wanting a neutral light is like some new testament poo poo but I'll let it slide for the sake of inclusivity (and bikes with garbage neutral finding)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just rode to work and decided not to look at the instruments at all as an experiment. I forgot myself and shot a glance at the speedo in a school zone but that was the only slipup. All in all it was a successful experiment and a fine ride, and I am now more convinced than ever that this is truly The Way and I shall practice it henceforth.

E: Speaking of new testament poo poo, I do like having a clock. I also wish I had a thermometer at times but I've never seen one of those on a bike.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 19, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OK but hear me out, sometimes you gotta coordinate speed, rpm and gear so that after slowing down to leave a big gap in front of you as you enter a tunnel, you're at exactly the right rpm to BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE*rev limiter*EE*rev limiter*EE*rev limiter*

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Invalido posted:

E: Speaking of new testament poo poo, I do like having a clock. I also wish I had a thermometer at times but I've never seen one of those on a bike.

My XSR700 has a thermometer to go with the clock and all the little bells, whistles, and sensors. However, considering it never reads the same as the bank I would ride past, or the credit union like a mile farther that also reads a whole third temperature, or my phone...I very rarely bother to look at it unless waiting for a train or something. I sometimes wonder about whether the engine temp sensor is giving me real information as well. As I recall, it basically never strays from 205 degrees F by more than maybe 10 degrees, no matter the weather or how I had been riding(not very aggressively).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fluffs McCloud posted:

My XSR700 has a thermometer to go with the clock and all the little bells, whistles, and sensors. However, considering it never reads the same as the bank I would ride past, or the credit union like a mile farther that also reads a whole third temperature, or my phone...I very rarely bother to look at it unless waiting for a train or something. I sometimes wonder about whether the engine temp sensor is giving me real information as well. As I recall, it basically never strays from 205 degrees F by more than maybe 10 degrees, no matter the weather or how I had been riding(not very aggressively).

The engine temp sensor has no bearing on the temp display.

The ECU knows exactly what the coolant temp is. The temp gauge is showing you a heavily doctorsed everything-is-ok value that is only loosely connected to the actual temperature, because the last thing they want is people knowing the actual engine temperature.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Cheap thermometers are rarely accurate, sadly. The one in my car is though, and I like having it. I'm only ever curious about ambient air temp when I'm riding near the freezing point, when such information can sometimes be highly relevant.
As for the coolant temp, I'm assuming without knowing that motos work like cars, with a pump, a thermostat (mechanically regulating how much coolant goes to the radiator) and a radiator fan kicking on when things get too hot. If those systems are sized right and work as they should you're unlikely to see any big changes in coolant temp in a wide span of conditions once warmed up.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Slavvy posted:

The engine temp sensor has no bearing on the temp display.

The ECU knows exactly what the coolant temp is. The temp gauge is showing you a heavily doctorsed everything-is-ok value that is only loosely connected to the actual temperature, because the last thing they want is people knowing the actual engine temperature.

Hah, well it seemed possible Yamaha could engineer an engine that never strayed from whatever optimal temperature it needs to do everything just right, but yeah pretty fishy that I would get a nice round, redundant, number in the instrument cluster thing that still has blinky lights for if stuff is actually getting weird. Now I wonder if ANY of the stuff in that cluster is true, are my high beams actually on, what time is it, what gear am I in, how fast am I really going?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fluffs McCloud posted:

Hah, well it seemed possible Yamaha could engineer an engine that never strayed from whatever optimal temperature it needs to do everything just right, but yeah pretty fishy that I would get a nice round, redundant, number in the instrument cluster thing that still has blinky lights for if stuff is actually getting weird. Now I wonder if ANY of the stuff in that cluster is true, are my high beams actually on, what time is it, what gear am I in, how fast am I really going?

Yamaha famously got sued and lost for making an r6 with a lying tacho that exaggerated peak rpm by like 1500 for marketing purposes lmao

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

Yamaha famously got sued and lost for making an r6 with a lying tacho that exaggerated peak rpm by like 1500 for marketing purposes lmao

:staredog:

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Slavvy posted:

LOL, that's God damned classic

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
You can see it a little here, I added a usb power outlet that has a temp sensor and voltage meter instead of a sigarette lighter 12v socket. Think it was a no-name from amazon.
It works fine, but ofc vs my brothers bike that has a koso temp sensor it's about a degree too low, but consistently.

https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/super-slim-style-thermometer/

Is it really needed? Nah. But I wanted a usb power out anyway so I got the combo thingy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

It's an old Honda thing definitely, idk when they stopped doing it

My 02 wing still does it and my sons 05 XR70 does it, but its a clutchless manual so its a little different I suppose.

I *think* those are the newest hondas I've ridden

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

What up goons, long time, no post (in CA anyway)

I started riding 2017 or so, got advice here and ended up on a Ninja 500. I loved it, and it was an excellent first bike, except for one issue:

I'm 6'4". That bike is small on me. I don't want an adventure bike or a cruiser, I want a sport tourer that I can still ride around town without feeling huge. I strapped various bags all over that little ninja and took it on multiple 12 hour rides and loved it, but it is... slow, and my back hurts.

So, I was looking new, and a Ninja 1000/Suzuki SX1000gt looked right up my alley, but I get a quote on insurance and lol, I'm not paying $1800/yr for insurance on a bike. Also, to be honest, it's probably more bike than I really want power-wise. I'm not a reckless rider by any means, but there's always that urge on fast bikes I've ridden (CBR1000RR, FJR 1300) to let loose in a way that you really can't on lesser machines, and I hate long gearing that means I can't even bang off the limiter in first without going to jail.

So here's the question. Well used VFR 800's cost as much as new middleweights, but on paper, they feel like they'd be perfect for me. Is it worth it, goons? If I want a "sportbike" with a top case and saddlebags I can take long distance, more power than the 650/700 middleweight class but less than a supersport?

I wanted a VFR when I started as a new rider and a goon here told me I'd be an idiot, develop bad habits, and that I'd crash it. They were probably right, but now I've got a few years of experience under my belt annnnd I still want one. It's just hard to swallow $8k for a well kept 5-15 year old bike when I could get into any number of new bikes for only a little more.

Last question: 6th gen or 5th gen?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Invalido posted:

My bike doesn’t have a clock but I bought a pink Justice watch for $9 that I strap to the handlebar when touring. Works a treat.

The only bike that I know has a thermometer is the Aprilia Shiver rip twisto

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I did end up buying the CB650 I asked about in this thread and just wanted to report back that it’s good.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The newish CB650R is on my short list of what I’d replace my CB750 with if I have to. Assuming I can’t find a CB1100. Which one have you got?

Ulf fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 19, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

spouse posted:

VFR stuff

Have you looked at the Tracer 900? VFRs are cool as hell but if you want tall person ergos and touring comforts that might be a better fit.

CongoJack posted:

I did end up buying the CB650 I asked about in this thread and just wanted to report back that it’s good.

where are the pics

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Ulf posted:

The newish CB650R is on my short list of what I’d replace my CB750 with if I have to. Assuming I can’t find a CB1100. Which one have you got?

The single R version.

FBS posted:

where are the pics

Oh sorry that was rude of me

Edit; sorry forgot how to post an image

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I really love that bike, when I get sick of the 690 I really want that bike, but the issue seems to be finding anything within 500 miles of me.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I didn’t know they were actually hard to find, when the dealer said it would likely be the only one they get all year I thought he was just being a dealer.

I do wish they sold them in more colors in the US. Europe gets an all blacked out one that looks really good.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Invalido posted:

The FZ6 dash will let you pick between having a clock or the intake air temp displayed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The goldwing has an air temp gauge and it’s nice, but really it’s mostly for going “yep it’s cold out” or “yep, it’s hot out”

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

FBS posted:

Have you looked at the Tracer 900? VFRs are cool as hell but if you want tall person ergos and touring comforts that might be a better fit.

I haven't, but I will check it out. Looking at myself on motonomics on one, it looks like it would be very comfortable. However, I sat on a Versys 1000 (seems like almost the same dimensions in terms of wheelbase/height/etc) and it felt BIG. Maybe that melts away once you're moving, but i have 5+ years on my little shitbike and i'm just used to small bikes. My back never seems to get used to them though :shepicide:

I dunno, maybe my aversion to adventure/touring bikes is misplaced and once I got riding on one I'd realize I'm much happier on a bike built for someone as tall as me. I'm open to it :shrug:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

adventure/touring bikes are still mostly agile street bikes. You'd acclimate quickly. get a 790/890 adv :devil:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I love ADV bikes. There's also sport touring.

Vstrom 650, Tenere 700. I prefer personally a japanese daily driver. My second bike is gonna be husq\gasgas\ktm.

I personally don't see myself on a GIGANTIC literbike adv. I worry about actual ADV riding. And large twins still don't pull as much as a large quad cyl...

Do you not fit well on an mt09 or mt10? The seats are fairly tall. No? There are I am sure tall seat mods and windscreen mods.

Not Japanese, but a lot of people like the larger Triumph Tiger ADVs.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 20, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I love ADV bikes.

Vstrom 650

actual ADV riding.

I've put 3000 miles on my VStrom now and the thought of riding it anywhere but pavement seems ludicrous to me.
It's my comfy commuter and it's drat heavy. I realize it's not that heavy compared to other bikes
I can't imagine riding it in dirt would be a good experience.
In fact, it has made me gain an entirely new perspective on just how small my dirt bikes are. My KTM feels closer to a mountain bike now that I'm used to the big ole Strom lol.
I guess I'm lucky to have dedicated niche bikes.
Commuting to work? VStrom it is.
Riding the dunes? KTM 250
Clown into town to pick up weed at the dispensary? Lol Monkey!!!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've put 3000 miles on my VStrom now and the thought of riding it anywhere but pavement seems ludicrous to me.

Can't be worse than the R6 desert\rock climbing experience. They have wrecked 4 of them so far 😭

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqt3LRiAbQB/?igshid=ODM2MWFjZDg=
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqoBaB1AE5S/?igshid=ODM2MWFjZDg=

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

spouse posted:

What up goons, long time, no post (in CA anyway)

I started riding 2017 or so, got advice here and ended up on a Ninja 500. I loved it, and it was an excellent first bike, except for one issue:

I'm 6'4". That bike is small on me. I don't want an adventure bike or a cruiser, I want a sport tourer that I can still ride around town without feeling huge. I strapped various bags all over that little ninja and took it on multiple 12 hour rides and loved it, but it is... slow, and my back hurts.

So, I was looking new, and a Ninja 1000/Suzuki SX1000gt looked right up my alley, but I get a quote on insurance and lol, I'm not paying $1800/yr for insurance on a bike. Also, to be honest, it's probably more bike than I really want power-wise. I'm not a reckless rider by any means, but there's always that urge on fast bikes I've ridden (CBR1000RR, FJR 1300) to let loose in a way that you really can't on lesser machines, and I hate long gearing that means I can't even bang off the limiter in first without going to jail.

So here's the question. Well used VFR 800's cost as much as new middleweights, but on paper, they feel like they'd be perfect for me. Is it worth it, goons? If I want a "sportbike" with a top case and saddlebags I can take long distance, more power than the 650/700 middleweight class but less than a supersport?

I wanted a VFR when I started as a new rider and a goon here told me I'd be an idiot, develop bad habits, and that I'd crash it. They were probably right, but now I've got a few years of experience under my belt annnnd I still want one. It's just hard to swallow $8k for a well kept 5-15 year old bike when I could get into any number of new bikes for only a little more.

Last question: 6th gen or 5th gen?

I would also consider a first generation multistrada. They're ugly as hell, so they go cheap, but very fun and comfortable for something that's designed to carry a top box and luggage, and they feel very small for what they are. Insurance should be cheap, too. I'm currently riding an 1100S and loving it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those things are getting pretty long in the tooth now though, an old Ducati is a much bigger commitment than a v4 Honda

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was going to suggest a multi 1100, but yeah those are getting on a bit now. Great bikes though. The Multi 950s (now V2) is probably too new and expensive but looks like it fits the same mold.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Those things are getting pretty long in the tooth now though, an old Ducati is a much bigger commitment than a v4 Honda

Yeah, but working on them is a doddle compared to faffing with the valves on a VFR and spouse is asking about 5th/6th gens. Aren't they like circa 2000?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh no, one procedure I have to do every few years that isn't even that hard just time consuming

Vs

Everything about an old Ducati even before it's actually old

It isn't even close sorry, that's just internet bullshit

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

prukinski posted:

I would also consider a first generation multistrada. They're ugly as hell, so they go cheap, but very fun and comfortable for something that's designed to carry a top box and luggage, and they feel very small for what they are. Insurance should be cheap, too. I'm currently riding an 1100S and loving it.

prukinski posted:

Yeah, but working on them is a doddle compared to faffing with the valves on a VFR and spouse is asking about 5th/6th gens. Aren't they like circa 2000?

I goofed here. I meant 6th gen (2002-2009 in the US) and then the 8th gen in 2014 on. Got some confusing information about what was what there because of the weird turn into DCTs they did around 2010 or so.

I've rebuilt engines in cars, so I'm comfy with a wrench, but yeah, the biggest thing keeping me from a Ducati is the reputation for reliability. I'll see if I can't take a look in person at one, but I love the reliability of my Ninja and I already work on two temperamental cars so I'm hesitant to get into another abusive relationship.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Do you not fit well on an mt09 or mt10? The seats are fairly tall. No? There are I am sure tall seat mods and windscreen mods.

Not sure. Every review for the MT09 says "it's a wild and wooly wheelie machine for street hooligans!! :bahgawd:" so after seeing that over and over and over I kinda mentally nixed it and never reconsidered. I love the looks of the retro version (the XSR900?). I could give them another look, but that's definitely more streetfighter and I'd want a windscreen of some sort from the aftermarket.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

spouse posted:

I've rebuilt engines in cars, so I'm comfy with a wrench, but yeah, the biggest thing keeping me from a Ducati is the reputation for reliability. I'll see if I can't take a look in person at one, but I love the reliability of my Ninja and I already work on two temperamental cars so I'm hesitant to get into another abusive relationship.

I found the learning curve on mine reasonably steep in so far as ducati has some quirks, for sure, but the actual upkeep now that I’m used to it is easier than any of my previous bikes. (To be fair I’ve also owned a couple of Aprilias and a KTM). The biggest issues I’ve had are dealing with the previous owners’ “upgrades” - they do seem pretty sensitive to setup mistakes. Anyway the main reason I suggested it is that it’s the funnest “slow” bike I’ve ever ridden, and the smallest/nimblest feeing touring platform. That said I’ve never ridden a VFR and people do rave about them…

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

spouse posted:

Not sure. Every review for the MT09 says "it's a wild and wooly wheelie machine for street hooligans!! :bahgawd:" so after seeing that over and over and over I kinda mentally nixed it and never reconsidered. I love the looks of the retro version (the XSR900?). I could give them another look, but that's definitely more streetfighter and I'd want a windscreen of some sort from the aftermarket.

You said XSR900 then?
Do it.

Or the tracer 900. You should be able to put lots of fun comfortable miles on either.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fwiw the tracer seat is really weird and uncommonly wide at the crotch end. The Yamaha dealer I was at said it's because it has a completely different subframe to the mt09, which is noticeably narrower.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I might get some hate for this...but you said big...fast...bags...more classic style....lots of miles...is a Harley out of the question? The insurance is probably decent because of the statistical caliber of a person buying a Harley. They probably aren't going to go crash it immediately.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

You said XSR900 then?
Do it.

Or the tracer 900. You should be able to put lots of fun comfortable miles on either.

Both the 900 bikes have insanely snatchy throttles and are generally really frantic feeling, lots of miles is not something I would want to do on one

The tracer is better in this regard but as a similarly tall person I found the seating position really bizarre, the pegs are in a weird place and I found I couldn't put my toes on the right peg because of the exhaust position jamming up my heel.