Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

It doesn't make much of a difference to the importer what country it's being sourced from. As long as you meet your 25y/15y import rules. I guess it's just with the euro being a strong currency, the bargains are going to be scarcer, and the collectible cars are collectible over there too, keeping values high.

Spares for anything not mass market are also going to be scarce and expensive as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Door Frame posted:

Every single time I get enough money to buy the kei truck I've been dreaming of, something more pressing comes up and I have to spend that money on actually important things. One of these days I'll have one. And another X1/9. And a garage

I got to drive the neighbor's new X19 when I was in HS. I loved that car.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

I HAVE TO HAVE A 3500 SERIES DUALLY TO TOW A 4200LB TRAILER he screamed uselessly into the void.

This is very close to my thoughts on seeing that photo.

edit: I use my Crown Vic and a HF 4x8 trailer to move around stuff. I need to get my own trailer, since the one I was borrowing has become a storage bin, apparently.
I also have a cargo basket for smaller stuff.
That said, I'll probably eventually get a real pickup if I ever have any actual property.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Door Frame posted:

How is it to import old European cars compared to importing Japanese? Britain and EU members have to have cool old cars laying around

As mentioned, technically nothing. Practically the whole Japanese shaken means you have a certain amount of assumptions you can make about a vehicle you are importing from there, assuming it's current. You can still buy garbage, you can most certainly get scammed, but everything is much more rigid with how Japan handles all their vehicles (including when their registration is expired) that it's easier to get good stuff from there. Plus the culture around cars and how you maintain them helps that along.
This is why Japan is now a major source for Germans who are looking for old nice BMWs or Porsches.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the upside they're at least correct-hand drive mostly and language barrier should be easier to deal with.

What sort of old cars are we talking about here? Like BMWs or Alfas or something more weird?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

On the upside they're at least correct-hand drive mostly and language barrier should be easier to deal with.

What sort of old cars are we talking about here? Like BMWs or Alfas or something more weird?

15 year (2008) means even relatively fresh stuff like the alfa brera and alfa 159, which have still lot of spares available. Older stuff is likely rusted to poo poo or pricey.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

mobby_6kl posted:

Garbage like an old Lada or something weird and complicated that never made it stateside

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Now is the time to corner the market on imported Renault Twingos.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

Garbage like an old Lada or something weird and complicated that never made it stateside
You might be in luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6dGEH6vzJc

Shai-Hulud posted:

:hmmyes:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Give me KGB rotary engine please! I want to buy refurbished apex seals from Latvia twice a year for the rest of my days

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

His channel is a lot of fun. Check it out.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Shai-Hulud posted:

Was in Paris last week, and il y a beaucoup de Twingos belles

Also saw some 2CVs the ones with a roundel are from a tourist rental company, but the third one was somebody's personal vehicle.

A 2002 with German Oldtimer/historic plates

Then there was this very clean BMW E30

An even cleaner Renault 16

Only caught a glimpse of this 4CV with my phone, but it was awesome.

We also ran across a car show/meetup on our way to a lunch reservation, so I only got to see a few of the cars, like this MB W108

Some kind of old roadster

A few everyday, boring Porsches

And also this noisy-rear end thing, dude needs to get a new muffler wtf

Plus throughout the trip I saw plenty of weird little guys, like this Citroen quadricycle contraption

Or a 2-door Peugeot... van? I mean those are van doors. I think it's :krad:

And this vehicle, which normally would not be AI car poo poo in any way, except the fact that this Pontiac Trans Sport is in the middle of Paris and in remarkable shape, which is utterly ridiculous.

But I think the coolest thing of all that I saw was at the Urban Transport museum outside Paris, where they are restoring this old Renault which looks like a super-size 23-window VW Microbus

I'm sure at least half of these are intensely boring to EU/UK posters, but as an idiot American abroad it was a constant sea of cool poo poo.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bennyfactor posted:

Some kind of old roadster

MG TD

Awesome pictures.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

bennyfactor posted:

And this vehicle, which normally would not be AI car poo poo in any way, except the fact that this Pontiac Trans Sport is in the middle of Paris and in remarkable shape, which is utterly ridiculous.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug but I had a hot wheels toy of one of these vans (or its badge engineered variants) with a full glass roof and it was just :krad:

I know they are probably terrible in everyday but the idea of a van with a full glass roof was just cool as poo poo to kid me.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

bennyfactor posted:

Imagine forgetting everything you know about dustbuster vans and seeing this here for the very first time. It fits in better among these other funky, odd ducks than it has anywhere else at any other time. Show it to a car-interested teenager today, say it's in Paris, and they're likely to start looking up what kind of Citroen or Renualt it is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoWake posted:

Imagine forgetting everything you know about dustbuster vans and seeing this here for the very first time. It fits in better among these other funky, odd ducks than it has anywhere else at any other time. Show it to a car-interested teenager today, say it's in Paris, and they're likely to start looking up what kind of Citroen or Renualt it is.

I remember seeing one of those on the road at the gas station I was working at as a teenager before they were officially released. It looked like a spaceship and the future.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
France is actually the land of Cool Cars. There seem to be just enough stubborn weirdos who do things like keep TransPorts in perfect condition.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bennyfactor posted:

Plus throughout the trip I saw plenty of weird little guys, like this Citroen quadricycle contraption

Citron Ami, it has longer lead times than a tesla due to being incredibly cheap while not a ali express death trap

bennyfactor posted:

Or a 2-door Peugeot... van? I mean those are van doors. I think it's :krad:

Peugeot 1007, at the time their "flagship", costed an absolute fortune and had subpar performance due to tiny engines(if you got a manual) or poo poo gearboxes(if you got an auto). Right now it's cheap and far more usable than a smart for two while being pretty much the same size.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlowBloke posted:

Citroën Ami, it has longer lead times than a tesla due to being incredibly cheap while not a ali express death trap

Also, according to whatever weird French licensing laws, it's not a "car" and so a lot of rules, including needing a driver's license, don't apply to it.

It's also so cheap it's comical. I was walking around Paris and laughed when I realized that the front and back panels are literally the same, one with white lights and one with red, and the passenger door is just the driver door mounted backwards. All to save a few pressing molds.

But enough of that, need more twingo! I wonder if it's possible to take the new, surprisingly decent but boring electric twingo guts and drop it into the one true twingo body.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Due to an astronomical stroke of luck I drove by the Ami assembly plant in Morocco a couple months ago, looks like a very nice facility

Ami is on my list of weird poo poo to buy if they are ever available in the states

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

JohnCompany posted:

Also, according to whatever weird French licensing laws, it's not a "car" and so a lot of rules, including needing a driver's license, don't apply to it.

It's also so cheap it's comical. I was walking around Paris and laughed when I realized that the front and back panels are literally the same, one with white lights and one with red, and the passenger door is just the driver door mounted backwards. All to save a few pressing molds.

But enough of that, need more twingo! I wonder if it's possible to take the new, surprisingly decent but boring electric twingo guts and drop it into the one true twingo body.

The recent twingos that got the electric drive option are rear drive engined, since it got done as a collab with smart. There are niche EV conversion shops that will rip out the OG twingo drivetrain and fueltank to fit a tiny electric unit(with the same HP as the original) and batteries all around. The main issue I see is that the chassis wasn't galvanized or treated so it rusts easily.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

JohnCompany posted:

The left and right sides are the same mould which is why the doors mount different on each side. It's clever and most people don't actually notice the front and the back are the same.

They're also not really cheap. They're £8k here which buys you a LOT on the second hand market and about 5 50cc mopeds which are pretty much their direct competition.

I do think they're cool though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They're also not really cheap. They're £8k here which buys you a LOT on the second hand market and about 5 50cc mopeds which are pretty much their direct competition.

Their opposition is Aixams tho, not mopeds. An electric Aixam runs at 14k+ so an Ami at 9k is a bargain.

The clientele for Ami is pensioners(which cannot get a normal driving license) or helicopter parents(which is scared their kid will get flattened by a truck) unless it's in a very dense metropolitan area, where it's just the tiniest car possible to buy without purchasing the car equivalent of a shed on wheels.

A colleague of mine has purchased an Ami for his daughter a couple of weeks before i ordered my jeep and it has been a constant stream of delays due to parts scarcity and prioritization of production for their rideshare arm(which is incredibly profitable).

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

SlowBloke posted:

Peugeot 1007, at the time their "flagship", costed an absolute fortune and had subpar performance due to tiny engines(if you got a manual) or poo poo gearboxes(if you got an auto). Right now it's cheap and far more usable than a smart for two while being pretty much the same size.

IIRC arent the doors on this a) fully motorised and b) slower than the snail the 2CV was based on?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AirRaid posted:

IIRC arent the doors on this a) fully motorised and b) slower than the snail the 2CV was based on?

A) The gearbox used for the electric motors is made in 3d-printer grade abs so it will self destroy one second after the warranty ends. It's pretty much impossible to see one fully working unless the owner babysat the doors with routine greasing.
B) Even when new it was grandpa escalator quick so it was normal to deploy it for the first few seconds to unlock and then manually slide out, quicky breaking the plastic gearbox teeths. If i remember correctly it gets slower as the gearbox decays.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiErunDRmBo

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 20, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They seem to be 2500-5000 euros and legal for import to Canada. Who can we bully into importing one?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Powershift posted:

They seem to be 2500-5000 euros and legal for import to Canada. Who can we bully into importing one?

I sadly have no idea on the procedure to fit cars on a roro ship from here :( .

Autoscout show at least 41 units ready for sale https://www.autoscout24.it/lst/peugeot/1007?atype=C&cy=I&desc=0&sort=standard&ustate=N%2CU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ awesome

https://twitter.com/dieguito4694/status/1649168940004671491?t=ahSH-op88cQmg9rF1MSD1Q&s=19

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Borderlands 2 wrap?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Maybe I've got the brain rot, but seeing this nice Aztek in the wild made me smile

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

As if the Aztek didn't already have nostrils and alien features, let's add some stick-on nostrils for good(?) measure.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It just needs more air for cooling, how else is that V6 going to put out its blistering 185hp without overheating?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe I've got the brain rot, but seeing this nice Aztek in the wild made me smile

Breaking Bad is one of the best shows of all time, still wrong thread.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Finger Prince posted:

Borderlands 2 wrap?

This dude uses Rattle cans and paint marker.

https://youtu.be/oOfkq87F6cE

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

This guy definitely works on the M4 design team at BMW

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Give the aztek awd and a lift and it would be cool.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Enos Cabell posted:

Breaking Bad is one of the best shows of all time, still wrong thread.

One of the best little bit parts in the show is the car mechanic who wistfully admires Walt's Aztek like "people talk a lot of trash, but... I like this car." I feel the same way, basically. Cars like the Aztek and the PT Cruiser got a raw deal, even if they do suck performance-wise I have a soft spot for their unorthodox styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hadlock posted:

This guy definitely works on the M4 design team at BMW

Seeing some new stuff nowadays, I think the Aztek was treated unfavorably. I still don't think it's a good looking car, though.