Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Professor Beetus posted:

It's not that far off from "safe, legal, and rare" which, to be clear, is bullshit framing which caves to the right wing framing of abortion as wrong or bad or something to be ashamed off.

Counterpoint: the point of abortions ideally being rare is that getting an abortion sucks. Even if a woman makes the decision to have an abortion in the early stages, it's an expensive, inconvenient, and stressful process, and that's even before getting into the various moral/ethical dilemmas—which you may not possess, but many people do. Abortions should be rare because they shouldn't have to get to that point in the first place, meaning comprehensive sex ed and widespread availability of birth control methods.

Professor Beetus posted:

Only if you think aborting fetuses is a moral wrong, which I don't.

And dude this is missing the point in a frankly horrifying way — yes, sex-selective abortions are a horrible wrong, not because they're abortions, but because it's a horrifically misogynic practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Abortions are bad in the same way that an Appendectomy is bad.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to imagine there has been movement on those questions since that poll was done 5 years ago...

Why? These views have held pretty steady over time, iirc, and Politifact also says:

quote:

The polling results suggest that Americans lack a nuanced view of what Roe permits and what would happen if it were overturned.

"Every question I have seen that asks whether the Supreme Court should overturn Roe shows a majority against," Bowman said. Despite that, she said, "Americans have always been willing to put significant restrictions on its use."

This is the reason many of us were irate at the decision resulting from Planned Parenthood v. Casey, bc voters & legislators (including Democrats, including the Democratic governor who signed the restrictions into law) were willing to go along with the restrictions that began eroding Roe.

I don't recall seeing, even in the past year, a poll that showed majority support for abortion "for any reason." Abortion has always been a litmus test to show Americans' puritanical & moralistic streaks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint: the point of abortions ideally being rare is that getting an abortion sucks. Even if a woman makes the decision to have an abortion in the early stages, it's an expensive, inconvenient, and stressful process, and that's even before getting into the various moral/ethical dilemmas—which you may not possess, but many people do. Abortions should be rare because they shouldn't have to get to that point in the first place, meaning comprehensive sex ed and widespread availability of birth control methods.

And dude this is missing the point in a frankly horrifying way — yes, sex-selective abortions are a horrible wrong, not because they're abortions, but because it's a horrifically misogynic practice.

This is entirely subjective. For a majority of women it's a simple procedure with very little after care required. Yes there are women who experience complications, but far fewer than say, childbirth. And yes there are women who regret or have moral qualms about their abortion, and that's okay too. Nothing inherently "sucks" about an abortion, it's a safe and routine medical procedure.

And to the second part, it's conservative concern trolling. The vast majority of people aren't going to make that decision for that reason, and for the few that do, whatever. If you want to feel icky about it then you do you, but it literally does not matter when it comes to whether a woman should be able to access abortion care or not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This isn't a reason why abortions should be rare, this is a reason why abortions should be less expensive, less inconvenient, and less stressful. Also a huge amount of the reason why they're expensive, inconvenient, and stressful is because of the deliberate actions of the anti-abortion crowd.

Lots of other medical procedures are expensive, inconvenient, and stressful, but nobody makes a fuss over those being rare.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

Lots of other medical procedures are expensive, inconvenient, and stressful, but nobody makes a fuss over those being rare.

We absolutely do, but usually through focus on preventative medicine* rather than restricting the procedure or shaming people who need it. That's part of what always gives the game away for anti-abortion types, is that you can reduce abortion rates a lot through sex education and easy access to birth control but they don't like that much either.

*There's also a lot of pressure to make difficult and stressful medical procedures rare by using less intrusive alternatives when possible. (Yes, even in places without private insurance companies, before anyone brings that up.) This doesn't really apply as much to abortion unless you count giving enough social/financial support to new mothers that no one feels pressured to abort just because they can't afford a baby. Though guess what the anti-abortionists think about that!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Killer robot posted:

We absolutely do, but usually through focus on preventative medicine* rather than restricting the procedure or shaming people who need it. That's part of what always gives the game away for anti-abortion types, is that you can reduce abortion rates a lot through sex education and easy access to birth control but they don't like that much either.

*There's also a lot of pressure to make difficult and stressful medical procedures rare by using less intrusive alternatives when possible. (Yes, even in places without private insurance companies, before anyone brings that up.) This doesn't really apply as much to abortion unless you count giving enough social/financial support to new mothers that no one feels pressured to abort just because they can't afford a baby. Though guess what the anti-abortionists think about that!

This is the key right here, women should have access to whichever birth control method they choose at any time, up to and including abortion, but again, there is absolutely no statistically significant portion of women choosing to use abortion as their birth control method, and those that do probably do so because they are trapped in controlling households and cannot rely on having access to regular birth control.

Like this is all accessible from a utilitarian perspective, the only point I'm trying to make is that it's bad to start off with the tacit admission that your anti-choice opponent is right about abortion being bad. That's extremely weak footing and potentially a tacit endorsement for some restrictions on abortion.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 20, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Killer robot posted:

Yeah but that's not really the same sort of fuss over abortions being rare. Nobody wants to make heart bypasses illegal, is what I meant. And if they did, it would be a terrible idea to try to meet them halfway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So was Mitch McConnell ambulatory and able to speak today?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Willa Rogers posted:

Why? These views have held pretty steady over time, iirc, and Politifact also says:

I don't know how much it affects the numbers, but there's a decent chunk of people who answer hypotheticals differently than actual choices. Fully overturning Roe changes the headspace of those polled from(however valid the belief actually was) abortion being taken for granted as a right, to abortion is totally up in the air and nobody is guaranteed one at all.

Edit: It's the difference between "What would you do if you were in a space shuttle?" and "You're in a space shuttle, now what?"

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 20, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gyges posted:

I don't know how much it affects the numbers, but there's a decent chunk of people who answer hypotheticals differently than actual choices. Fully overturning Roe changes the headspace of those polled from(however valid the belief actually was) abortion being taken for granted as a right, to abortion is totally up in the air and nobody is guaranteed one at all.

Edit: It's the difference between "What would you do if you were in a space shuttle?" and "You're in a space shuttle, now what?"

As the piece & the polling points out, people generally support a right to abortion, but when drilled on the particulars, they have their ideas of what's morally acceptable.

Americans support, by pluralities, the right to first-term abortions for "reasons" but not for any reason. Even as SCOTUS was getting ready to overturn Roe most Americans still viewed it situationally & conditionally:

If you can find later surveys that drill down into the same questions (ideally, yougov or gallup surveys so it's apples-to-apples) I'd love to see if the ruling did change people's minds on the conditions they attach to legal abortion, but I've been following this stuff for almost a half-century & I've always been struck by the weird stuff like pluralities thinking pregnant women should give unwanted babies up for adoption.

Understandably, the groups & politicians who support bodily autonomy speak of public support as being clear & decisive, and in a general way it is. But people get squicked out by the particulars, and that's likely a result of the acceptable sociopolitical discourse having been the space between "murdering innocent babies" and "safe, legal & rare" for so long.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'm not sure pre Dobbs polls that did not poll the actual policy outcome ("should 11 year old rape victims be forced to give birth?") are worth much, especially when we have actual voting results. In Montana (Trump+16, evenly split on abortion in pre Dobbs polls) a ballot initiative to mandate treatment for infants that survive an attempted abortion failed by 5 points. In Kansas (Trump+15, anti-abortion in pre Dobbs polls) an initiative to say the constitution does not guarantee a right to abortion failed by 18 points. In Kentucky (Trump+26, anti-abortion in pre Dobbs polls) a similar initiative failed by 5.

An obvious issue is that people may answer "is it wrong to abort baby Einstein" and "should an 11 year old rape victim be forced to give birth" differently, and only the latter question is policy relevant.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 20, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Turns out normal people don't like old gross men forcing birth on 12 year olds, who would have thought.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yes. But also irrelevant. Sex-selective abortions won’t be dealt with via the legality of abortion.

The fundamental problem there (not valuing women as human beings) tends to be worse when abortion is illegal, not better.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Driving a car into a playground would also be wrong, but it has no legal bearing on the matter of car ownership.

I personally don't care why anyone would get an abortion, I don't think anyone else should, and I think the law should reflect that. And even if someone did get an abortion for some made up, objectively objectionable reason, they could just lie about it, so it's completely moot anyway.

Why are you acting like it's a hypothetical when China and India have massively skewed gender ratios because this has been standard operating procedure there for decades?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I mean. If a woman says 'I don't want a daughter, the family name must be carried forward! Abort this girl fetus!' I might not exactly cheer this decision. But the question is, am I gonna go: 'Nope, I am forcing you to carry this child to term'

No. I won't. Because forcing women to carry baby to terms is worse sexism and just 'worse' in general than a woman deciding to abort any female fetuses.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why are you acting like it's a hypothetical when China and India have massively skewed gender ratios because this has been standard operating procedure there for decades?

Why does this matter at all to the issue of the legality of abortion in America?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Why does this matter at all to the issue of the legality of abortion in America?

I brought it up in response to a statement that abortion can never be framed as wrong or unethical.

Based on some of these responses, I hope there’s never a genetic/developmental test that predicts a fetus’ orientation or gender dysphoria.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Equally irrelevant are single issue polls because even if a large portion of chuds think it's bad to force 12 year old rape victims to give birth, they will still crawl over broken glass to vote for leaders who will enact laws that require just that. The huge discrepancy between chud party affiliation and ballot issue results is just further proof that fascists don't actually care about abortion as a real life issue, it's just one of the many invented grievances they pretend to care about to mask their actual goal of inflicting pain and suffering on innocent people they hate.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

haveblue posted:

Like was posted earlier, the backup is probably the 14th amendment approach. Order the treasury to violate the debt ceiling and dare someone to take them to court over it. Then dare the court to rule that the global financial order must implode
If we're making bets, I think he's probably going to make cuts to Medicare and Social Security because "The Republicans are too darn crazy" and everybody's going to be convinced they'll really shoot the hostage this time.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 20, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I AM GRANDO posted:

So was Mitch McConnell ambulatory and able to speak today?

He's been up and speaking (bad things) for the last week. He made his first appearance on Sunday and appears fine.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

James Garfield posted:

I'm not sure pre Dobbs polls that did not poll the actual policy outcome ("should 11 year old rape victims be forced to give birth?") are worth much, especially when we have actual voting results. In Montana (Trump+16, evenly split on abortion in pre Dobbs polls) a ballot initiative to mandate treatment for infants that survive an attempted abortion failed by 5 points. In Kansas (Trump+15, anti-abortion in pre Dobbs polls) an initiative to say the constitution does not guarantee a right to abortion failed by 18 points. In Kentucky (Trump+26, anti-abortion in pre Dobbs polls) a similar initiative failed by 5.

An obvious issue is that people may answer "is it wrong to abort baby Einstein" and "should an 11 year old rape victim be forced to give birth" differently, and only the latter question is policy relevant.

Election results show only how the (general) issue polls in a particular region. As the polling has pointed out, people want to think of the issue in generalized terms & not specifics, because when it comes to specifics people (even progressives) become conditional about its "morality."

So it makes sense for Democrats running on the issue to stick to talking about 11-yr-old rape victims or in very generalized terms.

I brought up the issue bc, as I've said, I've tracked the polling for almost 50 years and pollsters have noted the disconnect, and because imo it's an interesting consequence of having most of the public discourse narrowed to frame abortion as a fraught moral choice rather than as a simple medical procedure.

This framing, imo, puts an undue psychological stress on a woman wanting to terminate a pregnancy, which is usually about as traumatic as having a tooth pulled, although it's usually less painful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Automata 10 Pack posted:

If we're making bets, I think he's probably going to make cuts to Medicare and Social Security because "The Republicans are too darn crazy" and everybody's going to be convinced they'll really shoot the hostage this time.

You would lose a lot of money on that bet.

The Republicans aren't even asking for that because after Biden accused them of wanting to do so, they swore they definitely didn't and vowed that their debt ceiling bill wouldn't touch defense, Medicare, or SS. The Republican debt ceiling bill doesn't touch SS or Medicare.

The Republican budget proposal does propose sizable cuts to Medicaid and "changes" to Medicare that are effective cuts. Some Republicans have also proposed various Social Security "reforms" that are effective cuts, but there isn't an official "Republican Bill" for Social Security changes right now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I brought it up in response to a statement that abortion can never be framed as wrong or unethical.

Based on some of these responses, I hope there’s never a genetic/developmental test that predicts a fetus’ orientation or gender dysphoria.

Im not talking to you, im talking to the person who brought up India and China in a discussion about US politics.

Your concern over people hypothetically aborting gay and trans fetuses is noted, and irrelevant. A person's reason to abort a pregnancy is 100% private - they dont have to tell a single soul. And like i said, if it ever did matter, they can just lie. If there were somehow a government policy to force the abortion of a certain category of fetuses, that would be bad because it violates people's rights to reproductive sovereignty, not because abortion itself is wrong. Forcing people to get abortions is just as abhorrent as forbidding them from getting abortions.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I would add that another reason I'd be interested in the same questions about abortion being asked now is because that sentiment often ends up shaping the laws in states with restrictions on abortions.

Part of the legislation Bob Casey Sr. signed was spousal notification, which was later overturned by scotus, while many of the other state-based restrictions were upheld. Having watched the erosion of Roe since PP v. Casey was decided over 30 years ago, I know that many of the restrictions came about as a result of seemingly (for that time & place) "reasonable" proposals like waiting periods or judicial notification for minors.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 20, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Equally irrelevant are single issue polls because even if a large portion of chuds think it's bad to force 12 year old rape victims to give birth, they will still crawl over broken glass to vote for leaders who will enact laws that require just that. The huge discrepancy between chud party affiliation and ballot issue results is just further proof that fascists don't actually care about abortion as a real life issue, it's just one of the many invented grievances they pretend to care about to mask their actual goal of inflicting pain and suffering on innocent people they hate.

It's unclear how much of it was specifically because of abortion, but in last year's election Republicans had a large turnout advantage and performed disappointingly because of Trump voters voting for Democrats. Republican voters have a lot of bad opinions and most of them still voted for Republicans last year, but they aren't groypers who spend 18 hours a day on Twitter like Ron Desantis' staffers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Mike Lindell has to pay $5 million because someone proved him wrong.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1649054814821834757

quote:

MyPillow founder and prominent election denier Mike Lindell made a bold offer ahead of a “cyber symposium” he held in August 2021 in South Dakota: He claimed he had data showing Chinese interference and said he would pay $5 million to anyone who could prove the material was not from the previous year’s U.S. election.

He called the challenge “Prove Mike Wrong.”
On Wednesday, a private arbitration panel ruled that someone had.

The panel said Robert Zeidman, a computer forensics expert and 63-year-old Trump voter from Nevada, was entitled to the $5 million payout.

Zeidman had examined Lindell’s data and concluded that it not only did not prove voter fraud, it had no connection to the 2020 election. He was the only expert who submitted a claim, arbitration records show.

He turned to the arbitrators after Lindell Management, which created the contest, refused to pay him.

That’s at least a bit of decent news this week.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Willing to take this action, I’ll even give you 5-1, PM me.

Biden made his unwillingness to cut Social Security or Medicare a centerpiece of his SOTU and a key point of contrast with Republicans. Making such a deal would effectively end his presidency and serious primary challenges would sprout up overnight. He would need at least 10 Dem Senators to go along with it. Republicans have taken more blame for every stupid game of chicken they’ve played since the Obama era. We’re, what, six weeks from the deadline and Biden hasn’t shown any signs of moving from his “no negotiating” stance and nobody in the party is suggesting he abandon it. There are other avenues the administration can pursue if legislation doesn’t go through.

That’s just scratching the surface of the reasons that he won’t cut Soc…

I mean yeah you’re right it’s a real possibility; once again, 5-1, PM me!

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 20, 2023

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

You can do completely mundane things for unethical reasoning. You can make objectively GOOD things for unethical reasoning. Why is this relevant?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mellow Seas posted:

Biden made his unwillingness to cut Social Security or Medicare a centerpiece of his SOTU and a key point of contrast with Republicans. Making such a deal would effectively end his presidency and serious primary challenges would sprout up overnight. He would need at least 10 Dem Senators to go along with it. Republicans have taken more blame for every stupid game of chicken they’ve played since the Obama era. We’re, what, six weeks from the deadline and Biden hasn’t shown any signs of moving from his “no negotiating” stance and nobody in the party is suggesting he abandon it. There are other avenues the administration can pursue if legislation doesn’t go through.

Kind of an lol contrast given Obama's Grand Bargain attempt that was foiled specifically because of blanket Republican determination to deny him any accomplishments.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Despite Trump's best efforts, DeSantis seems intent on losing the 2024 primary in spectacular fashion.

The Washington Post has an article that details a pretty wild political strategy that DeSantis has been cooking up for the last two years. The initial setup seems perfectly reasonable, but the actual plan once he started running seems completely idiotic.

There's still plenty of time for things to change, but I think Trump has gone from about a 70% favorite to win to 90% entirely from the DeSantis campaign's bizarre strategy ideas that essentially relied on everything just working out magically for them.

His plan was:

- Raise an enormous amount of money early (succeeded)

- Win re-election in Florida by a large margin (succeeded)

- Use this money and Republican majority in Florida to pass high-profile culture war laws to appeal to the Republican base (succeeded)

- Use that money and base appeal to clear the field, so nobody runs except Trump and himself (failing wildly)

- Build a public image that he is tougher, more aggressive, and more effective than Trump (failing wildly)

- Hope Trump decided not to run or that everyone would abandon him after his legal troubles (failing wildly)

- Try to moderate some of his public positions to get swing voters and certain donors on his side without coming off as a wishy-washy or alienating the Republican base (failing wildly)

- Start getting major endorsements from Florida politicians and other leaders in big states (failing wildly - Trump has more endorsements of Florida congressman than DeSantis)

- He doesn't like talking to people, so he hoped that his money and polls would just lead people to endorse him without having to try and organize or talk to them (failing wildly)

- Ignore Trump to not anger the Trump-supporting base and hope he fades away or fails on his own (failing wildly just like it did in 2016)

- Put out a book and send it around to get people in important states on board without having to meet them (failing wildly)

- Purposefully lose/not focus on the first 4 states + super Tuesday states in a primary to instead win big delegate later states like California and New York (N/A, but incredibly dumb)

quote:

After high-flying start, DeSantis hits stumbling blocks on road to 2024

Republican megadonor Ken Langone is eager to support Ron DeSantis for president in 2024. But he has some concerns about the Florida governor as he prepares to enter the race.

Langone didn’t like that DeSantis signed a six-week abortion ban and wants him to moderate his stance on the issue. It wouldn’t hurt for DeSantis to “be a little more conciliatory” in his demeanor, he suggested. And Langone worries about the resurgence of former president Donald Trump, who Langone previously backed but argues can’t win another general election.

“It scares the hell out of me,” he said of Trump’s growing dominance in the polls.

Tracking presidential candidates for the 2024 election

A few months ago, DeSantis was celebrating his landslide reelection to chants of “two more years!” as enthusiastic fans begged him to run for president. But that momentum has rapidly cooled, confronting DeSantis with a considerably more difficult political outlook for the campaign he is expected to launch after the Florida legislative session ends in May.

Donors, activists and other supporters are increasingly voicing worries that DeSantis has made unforced errors or embraced extreme positions that could hurt him in a general election, including the abortion ban he signed last week. He’s had to clarify comments on Ukraine that prompted some criticism in the party. He has struck some Republicans as distant in personal interactions. And Trump has relentlessly attacked DeSantis and expanded his lead over the governor in national polls, while accruing a string of influential endorsements in Florida and beyond.

But even as he faces head winds, DeSantis remains in a clear second place to Trump, with a cluster of other current and prospective candidates mired in single digits and showing no signs of gaining traction — and the only candidate that Trump and his team regularly focus on. He has continued to draw enthusiastic crowds in early state visits, as he did in South Carolina on Wednesday, rounding out a weeks-long circuit through the first four states in the GOP nomination fight.

“I can see why Trump’s nervous about him,” said Jim Morris, a retiree who came out to see DeSantis in the Charleston area Wednesday and also went to see Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), who has launched a presidential exploratory committee, at a restaurant last week. Morris is a Trump fan but called his attacks on DeSantis “ridiculous” and said of the Florida governor, “Everything he said, I agree.”

Representatives for DeSantis did not respond to requests for comment for this story.

Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-Fla.) on Wednesday became the eighth member of Florida’s congressional delegation to endorse Trump for president. Trump personally called Buchanan about an endorsement — and invited him to have dinner Thursday night at Mar-a-Lago — while DeSantis’s outreach came through a pollster who advises him, Ryan Tyson, according to a person close to Buchanan, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private interactions.

Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.), a rising star who introduced DeSantis at the governor’s election-night celebration last fall, said he decided to endorse Trump because he’s already done the job and deserves the chance for a second term. An additional factor, he said, was the need to unite behind Trump in the face of the criminal charges Trump is facing in New York. He is scheduled to appear with Trump on Friday at an event in Fort Myers, Fla.

Donalds said he speaks with Trump but wasn’t asked directly for his endorsement, and he wasn’t lobbied by DeSantis’s team. The conversations with Trump’s team included talk of a possible Cabinet post for Donalds, though no specific position was offered, according to a person briefed on the discussions.

“I don’t get that far,” Donalds said when asked about the possibility of a Cabinet position during an interview in the Capitol on Wednesday. “You rule nothing out in this place.”

Rep. Greg Steube, another Florida Republican, told Politico he endorsed Trump after DeSantis regularly left him out of events in Florida and didn’t call when he was hurt earlier this year, even though Trump called immediately to check on him.

Some Republicans traced DeSantis’s struggle to lock down endorsements in part to his insularity and said he should have done more to cultivate relationships. One person in DeSantis’s orbit said a dearth of warm interactions — even with staff and traditional allies — has hurt him with endorsements, lawmakers and donors. “He doesn’t like talking to people, and it’s showing,” said this person, who is a vocal supporter of DeSantis.

Endorsements might not directly move that many voters, but they can help generate publicity, campaign surrogates and fundraising.

DeSantis has made an effort recently to engage in the glad-handing and chitchat that has become a prerequisite for running a national campaign. After speaking Tuesday in Washington at an office for the Heritage Foundation, a conservative organization, the governor made a point of speaking directly with every person present, attendees said — a contrast, by many accounts, to DeSantis’s time as a U.S. House member, when he was known for skipping small talk, sleeping on a couch and zipping home for the weekends.

But he ended the night with one more blow: Rep. Lance Gooden (R-Texas) — who shares a pro-Trump adviser, Alex Bruesewitz, with some Florida lawmakers backing Trump — announced immediately upon leaving the event that, after “careful consideration and a positive meeting” with DeSantis, he was endorsing Trump.

In an interview, Gooden said his brief conversation with DeSantis on Tuesday was not what swayed him to endorse Trump, but he decided afterward there was no point in dragging it out. “It was not a spur-of-the-moment decision,” he said.

Attendees on Tuesday ranged widely in ideology and included the three members of Congress who have endorsed DeSantis: Chip Roy of Texas and Thomas Massie of Kentucky, who served with DeSantis and were fellow members of the ultraconservative Freedom Caucus, as well as freshman Rep. Laurel M. Lee, whom DeSantis appointed as Florida secretary of state. Lee received outreach from DeSantis’s team, according to a Republican consultant to a Florida delegation member, and announced her support of DeSantis on Tuesday.

The only hint of DeSantis’s presidential ambitions came toward the end of the talk, when DeSantis finished discussing his plans for the state budget and said, in one attendee’s recollection, that “once we’re done with that, things are going to get interesting.” The audience laughed.

Other Florida House members were there, too — but not Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who said DeSantis’s team didn’t reach out to him ahead of the visit. “I wasn’t even aware of it,” he said. “I’m far from making any decisions on the presidential race for a while.”

‘Not ready for the bright lights’
Conservative media and GOP donors rallied around DeSantis last year as a promising new standard-bearer for the party. He won reelection in Florida, a onetime swing state, by nearly 20 points, and 2024 polling from early primary states and nationally began to show DeSantis jockeying with Trump for primacy. The governor planned for a state legislative session that would deliver one victory after another, boosting his conservative bona fides and outflanking Trump from the right on some issues.

Since then, however, DeSantis has faced heightened scrutiny and a barrage of disparaging nicknames and policy attacks from Trump and his allies. A pro-Trump super PAC has already spent almost $4 million attacking DeSantis on cable TV, according to data from the media tracking firm AdImpact. The spots focus on DeSantis’s past support for overhauling Social Security benefits.

In turn, a pro-DeSantis super PAC responded with more than $3.6 million on broadcast, cable and online, AdImpact’s data shows, and started to take aim at Trump, airing a Fox News ad criticizing Trump for going after a fellow Republican. But part of that ad was devoted to defending DeSantis against Trump’s Social Security attacks, and much of the PAC’s resources have gone toward a positive ad highlighting DeSantis’s record in Florida.

DeSantis himself has been reluctant to hit back at Trump. After taking a veiled swipe at Trump’s alleged affair with an adult film actress, he returned to his old strategy of mostly ignoring Trump after facing a blowback from the ex-president and his allies. (Trump has denied the alleged affair.) People close to DeSantis say he is trying to calibrate how to attack Trump but not lose supporters who like Trump.

Trump and his advisers have been taken aback by how DeSantis has let some of the most scorching attacks go unchallenged. “He’s not ready for the bright lights,” Trump has repeatedly said, according to a close adviser.

In recent weeks, the inherent challenges of DeSantis’s efforts to appeal to different wings of his party have come into sharper focus. Donors and other Republican officials balked at his written statement dismissing the Russian invasion of Ukraine as a “territorial dispute” unimportant to American interests, a phrase he walked away from in a subsequent interview. And some top donors such as Langone have vocally opposed a statewide ban on abortion after six weeks of pregnancy that DeSantis signed quietly this month and has not touted in recent speeches around the country.

“I have put myself on hold,” one Florida-based megadonor, Thomas Peterffy, said in an interview published last week in the Financial Times. Once effusive about DeSantis, Peterffy told the publication that “myself, and a bunch of friends, are holding our powder dry” because of DeSantis’s handling of abortion and support for removing some books from schools.

Other donors are still enthusiastic. In an interview last month, Doug Deason, a prominent Texas donor, said a DeSantis event in Texas earlier this year was one of the biggest draws for the party in some time — with more than 500 paying at least $500 for tickets.

In New Hampshire last week, an official said DeSantis was the biggest financial draw of the year so far. When he arrived to deliver the keynote address to the state GOP’s spring dinner last Friday, DeSantis handed over an envelope filled with $122,000 in additional checks that he had gathered to help the party — topping off the quarter of a million dollars he helped raise by speaking at their dinner.

Just as the waitstaff was serving his dinner after his remarks, the Florida governor told New Hampshire GOP Chairman Chris Ager he wanted to work the room. He proceeded to visit with attendees at nearly all of the 52 tables inside the brick-walled armory, chatting with voters and activists about Florida’s real estate market, the recent hurricane season and how he had brought the sunshine and 80-degree weather with him during an unseasonably warm week in New England.

“Once he started, it was invigorating and enjoyable and he said ‘Let’s just do the whole room.’ He said ‘Lead the way,’” Ager recalled. “I was impressed with his ability to spontaneously do a really bang-up job in a retail environment that he created just by walking through the tables.”

The next day, DeSantis gathered some two dozen Granite State activists and local elected officials for lunch at Manchester’s Airport Diner to take his measure in a private setting.

After the back-and-forth with activists for about an hour, DeSantis looked to his aides for guidance about the schedule, asking aloud: “Can we mingle now?” and proceeded to chat with attendees-one-on-one and take pictures, according to several people in the room.

“He relates well to people,” said J.P. Marzullo, a former member of the New Hampshire House of Representatives who attended the private gathering and has still not made a decision about whom he will support. “He gave people time. He didn’t rush anybody. He looked them in the face and, for me, that’s really important.”

Trump campaign pounces
While DeSantis steps up his efforts on the retail circuit, Trump’s team has tried to exploit DeSantis’s reputation for standoffishness. Although Trump advisers have been calling around to prospective endorsees to feel them out, Trump has secured the deals and often gets on the phone once it is clear there is interest.

On Friday, Trump hosted a three-hour dinner at a Four Seasons hotel in Nashville with six members of Tennessee’s congressional delegation. Polling packets, detailing both Trump’s primary strength and hypothetical general election matchups, were circulated. Brian Jack, a top campaign aide who managed Trump’s congressional relationships as White House political director, spoke with the members about the help Trump had provided to each of them individually.

Soon after, Sens. Marsha Blackburn and Bill Hagerty, who were both at the dinner, gave Trump their endorsements.

Before taking the stage at the Republican National Committee donor retreat in Nashville, Trump huddled with longtime pollster Kellyanne Conway. Onstage, he rattled off more than a dozen polls that showed him ahead of DeSantis that were meant to send a message to donors, according to advisers: I’m not going away, and I’m going to be the nominee. While Trump and his team have worked donors and committee members at the last two RNC meetings, DeSantis did not establish a similar presence.

Members of Trump’s team have reveled in DeSantis’s deflation, taking particular joy in sending one another links to articles about his fight with Disney, a corporate giant in Florida that the governor sought to punish for criticizing his policies. Earlier his year, DeSantis took control of a board overseeing a special district for Walt Disney World, discovering too late that outgoing members had quietly stripped his new board of much of its power.

DeSantis this week announced he would work with the state legislature to override that maneuver — and mused about punishing Disney further by developing the land nearby. “Maybe try to do more amusement parks — someone even said, like, maybe you need another state prison,” he said at a news conference.

But some Republicans wish DeSantis would move on from the feud, and to critics, it was an example of being caught on his back foot — uncomfortable new territory for a governor who generally gets his way in Tallahassee.

“He’s not practiced in dealing with real opposition,” said Mac Stipanovich, a former lobbyist and Republican operative in Florida who has backed Democrats in recent years and criticized both DeSantis and Trump.

One prominent Republican who does not support Trump was highly critical of the prison comment, noting that suburban moms and others from Middle America whose support is important in elections go to Disney World. “What is wrong with you?” said this person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to be more candid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/04/19/ron-desantis-trump-2024-election-polls/

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1649041042815975425

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 20, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Buzzfeed News (which actually did produce some significant original investigative journalist pieces - including winning a Pulitzer) is shutting down because Buzzfeed is losing money and the investigative journalism division is by far the least profitable part of the company.

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1649066484277051394

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 20, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Buzzfeed News (which actually did produce some significant original investigative journalist pieces - including winning a Pulitzer) because Buzzfeed is losing money and the investigative journalism division is by far the least profitable part of the company.

I’m guessing the listicles are staying though?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Explain to me how you would go about policing this. What restrictions would you have in place to protect thought crime? Why do you think it's important to bring up unlikely or unknowable situations in this discussion?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m guessing the listicles are staying though?

Yes. Buzzfeed is cutting 15% of its staff, but only the news division is being eliminated entirely.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You have to appreciate DeSantis doing insane poo poo in Florida to prove that he can be a big balls authoritarian and then losing the nomination anyways.

There's no endgame, they're just going to keep going because they have no exit plan.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Buzzfeed News (which actually did produce some significant original investigative journalist pieces - including winning a Pulitzer) because Buzzfeed is losing money and the investigative journalism division is by far the least profitable part of the company.

Oh wow :rip:. They've done some really good work over the years.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Looks like there’s a major point of failure you can tie to a lot of what’s poo poo about our government across multiple branches:

https://twitter.com/annielinskey/status/1649025808097214468?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

What’s to be done? We have a billionaire who can corrupt our processes with impunity, a literal Hitler fanboy who nobody can touch and who can command the right’s opinion leaders to make repeated, humiliating obeisances to him in public after each new revelation of the degeneracy of accountability and mass politics. One man, one vote my rear end, in short.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just lol at thinking the GOP primary wasn't going to be a clownshow in 2024. Meatball Ron is being given the Wrong Advices. There's a clear perverse incentive for campaign staff to encourage candidate's delusions and get a steady paycheck for as long as possible, but "just chill out and don't contest the early primaries" is the electoral version of "Get in loser, we're going losing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just lol at thinking the GOP primary wasn't going to be a clownshow in 2024. Meatball Ron is being given the Wrong Advices. There's a clear perverse incentive for campaign staff to encourage candidate's delusions and get a steady paycheck for as long as possible, but "just chill out and don't contest the early primaries" is the electoral version of "Get in loser, we're going losing!"

Pudding Fingers Desantis