Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Considering DeSantis is being outsmarted by a rival who clearly announces everything they do in advance, I can only hope he officially runs for president so Florida can get a new governor in.

What happens when he stops being the governor, does a special election get held, does it pass to another official already in office, or does a temporary governor get appointed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Iirc he changed rules so he can just do both

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Randalor posted:

Considering DeSantis is being outsmarted by a rival who clearly announces everything they do in advance, I can only hope he officially runs for president so Florida can get a new governor in.

What happens when he stops being the governor, does a special election get held, does it pass to another official already in office, or does a temporary governor get appointed?

The current Lt. Governor would become the new Governor for the rest of the term.

Harold Fjord posted:

Iirc he changed rules so he can just do both

He has not yet. The Florida legislature is just coincidentally reviewing the law for no particular reason right now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AtomikKrab posted:

Pudding Fingers Desantis

Ron De SwissMiss

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DeSantis’ other big error was purposely ignoring the national media outlets, which has just resulted in them publishing negative story after negative story about him

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ron hasn’t even officially declared yet. With the utter poo poo-show his pre-announcement strategizing seems to be, I don’t even think it’s a guarantee he runs.

Don’t get me wrong: if I were putting money on it, I’d still bet on him running. But I have to wonder how many lost blocks it would take before the jenga tower collapses and he just sits out.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

CuddleCryptid posted:

You have to appreciate DeSantis doing insane poo poo in Florida to prove that he can be a big balls authoritarian and then losing the nomination anyways.

There's no endgame, they're just going to keep going because they have no exit plan.

They tested the SMS Emergency Broadcast system at 4:45AM today. Lot of Floridians are probably tired and grumpy at work.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Ron hasn’t even officially declared yet. With the utter poo poo-show his pre-announcement strategizing seems to be, I don’t even think it’s a guarantee he runs.

Don’t get me wrong: if I were putting money on it, I’d still bet on him running. But I have to wonder how many lost blocks it would take before the jenga tower collapses and he just sits out.

I think he's still gonna run. If he doesn't now, he'll be out of office for two years before he can run again, and nobody will care about him anymore.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Beastie posted:

They tested the SMS Emergency Broadcast system at 4:45AM today. Lot of Floridians are probably tired and grumpy at work.

is that why that was twitter trending?

I still get Texas Amber Alert sms freakouts even out of state. Yes, lemme just drive *checks notes* twelve hours to Quitaque and be on the look out for a silver 2007 ford focus possibly headed west.

It is the most performative think of the children poo poo imaginable.

:texas::hf::cryingmickeymouse:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Beastie posted:

Can confirm, it loving sucked to have my phone blaring an hour before I had to get up

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I brought it up in response to a statement that abortion can never be framed as wrong or unethical.

That was not the statement made, feel free to go back and read it and respond to the actual statement made instead of whatever you think was made.

quote:

Based on some of these responses, I hope there’s never a genetic/developmental test that predicts a fetus’ orientation or gender dysphoria.

Why?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Being the loser in a primary isn't really the kiss of death like a loss in general. Most candidates run in at least one primary before they get on the general election ticket, and being the runner up in the primary is great when the field opens up again.

Trump puts everything in a weird place because he's the presumptive nominee, but he's also a scandal riddled loser whose got between 1 and 4 trials coming up.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can confirm, it loving sucked to have my phone blaring an hour before I had to get up

I have some cheap headphones that are sewn into a headband because its great for ambient noise or an audiobook. I about jumped to the ceiling when it went off.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm honestly not even sure what DeSantis' endgoal even is right now. Hes picking a fight with his state's largest employer and using people who can't even be bothered to go to Disney's open meetings so they keep having "11th hour reveals" that were announced months prior, so I'm honestly curious what his chances of re-election are as Governor. He's too cowardly to actually announce he's running for president, and instead playing these "If I were going to run *wink*" games. Like, other than "to own the libs" and "piss off Florida's biggest employer", what is his actual endgame?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Randalor posted:

I'm honestly not even sure what DeSantis' endgoal even is right now. Hes picking a fight with his state's largest employer and using people who can't even be bothered to go to Disney's open meetings so they keep having "11th hour reveals" that were announced months prior, so I'm honestly curious what his chances of re-election are as Governor. He's too cowardly to actually announce he's running for president, and instead playing these "If I were going to run *wink*" games. Like, other than "to own the libs" and "piss off Florida's biggest employer", what is his actual endgame?

he thinks his endgame is to become President.

A few posters said that every move he has made is basically going to crash Florida's economy hard in a few years but he is maximizing gains now. I am not sure how true that is but he plans to not be there in a few years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

His chances of being re-elected Governor are 0% under current law. He is term-limited out and will leave office in early 2027 regardless of what happens.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Another Republican official has both been found guilty of being a horrible shitbag while also avoiding any accountability for his acts.

https://twitter.com/NC5PhilWilliams/status/1649096263760228352?s=20

quote:

A member of GOP leadership in the Tennessee House of Representatives was recently found guilty of sexually harassing at least one legislative intern, likely two, by an ethics subcommittee acting in secret, NewsChannel 5 Investigates has learned.

Rep. Scotty Campbell, who serves as vice chair of the House Republican Caucus and who recently voted to expel three Democrats who engaged in a gun violence protest on the House floor, suffered no consequences as a result of his actions.

quote:

Despite accusations of sometimes extremely vulgar comments and other inappropriate advances, Republicans did not remove the 39-year-old East Tennessee lawmaker from his leadership position nor from his committee assignments.

But taxpayers have paid for his actions.

NewsChannel 5 has learned that potentially thousands of dollars have been spent to protect one victim, relocating her from the downtown apartment building where she and Campbell both had apartments, shipping her furniture back home in another part of the state and placing her in a downtown hotel for the remainder of her internship.

Legislative officials refused to say how much they've paid out, saying that information is confidential.

quote:

But a four-member ethics subcommittee, composed of two Republicans and two Democrats, came to a different conclusion, according to a memorandum dated March 29 that was sent to House Speaker Cameron Sexton.

"Based on the completed staff investigation, the Ethics Subcommittee finds that Representative Campbell violated the Policy" against workplace discrimination and harassment, the memo says.

It goes on to say that "discrimination and harassment in any form will not be tolerated," concluding that "no further information concerning this complaint will be released."

Under the Tennessee General Assembly's own rules, however, quietly placing that vaguely worded memo in a representative's personnel file is the only action that the ethics subcommittee can take upon a finding that he has engaged in improper conduct.

Ethics subcommittee members are also barred from publicly discussing their proceedings.

quote:

On March 15, the victim recalls, she went to his apartment to return a wrench that she had borrowed.

"He proceeded to ask how many men I've slept with," says the email to university officials.

"I told him zero, and he insisted that I was lying and told me not to lie. He then proceeded to ask how many women I've slept with and said he bets girls go crazy over me."

Then, the victim says, Campbell offered to give her cannabis gummies to see her tattoos and piercings.

"I told him absolutely not, and he begged me for several hugs," her email says.

"I was getting progressively more afraid and uncomfortable. He then reached out his hand towards me and grabbed me around my neck.

"I recoiled and said I felt sick and immediately left. That was the last night I ever spoke with or saw him. I blocked his number after that."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

His chances of being re-elected Governor are 0% under current law. He is term-limited out and will leave office in early 2027 regardless of what happens.

Ah, so his end-goal is "Torch the place and leave it worse than when he started." So he is literally just a Disney villain in it for the lulz.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

As DeSantis' star starts to fade a little, the Florida legislature is getting fed up with spending 100% of their time packing their schedule to pass legislation to help out his presidential campaign.

Aside from making them work too much and put their own pet issues on the backburner, they are upset that his feud with Disney is wasting state resources and diluting their campaign against "cancel culture" by making it look like Republicans are part of cancel culture as well.

Many Republican legislators who thought DeSantis would owe them some favors when he is in the White House are also starting to become disillusioned by his campaign and think he won't ever be in a position to pay them those favors back.

quote:

‘Deeply frustrated': Florida legislators worn out by DeSantis

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ iron-clad grip on the Republican-controlled Legislature may be slipping amid growing frustration among GOP legislators.

Republican lawmakers are stalling a handful of his key remaining legislative priorities with just weeks left in the annual session. And what started out as whispers in private about unhappiness over the governor are starting to become louder even though Republican lawmakers remain unwilling to speak out publicly against DeSantis because of his power and clout. One House Republican recently told a former legislator he was ready to resign out of frustration over how the session was going.

Part of the angst has been sparked by a grinding session where legislators have pushed through bill after bill — and chewed up hours of contentious debate — that’s considered integral to DeSantis’ expected presidential campaign. DeSantis’ announcement this week that he wanted legislators to take aim again at Disney has irritated conservative Republicans loath to target private businesses.

One GOP legislator privately said: “We’re not the party of cancel culture. We can’t keep doing this tit for tat.” The lawmaker was granted anonymity to speak freely about the GOP governor.

“People are deeply frustrated,” said former state Sen. Jeff Brandes, a St. Petersburg Republican who has been talking to his former GOP colleagues frequently this session. “They are not spending any time on the right problems ... Most legislators believe that the balance of power has shifted too far and the Legislature needs to re-establish itself as a coequal branch of government.”

The vexation in Tallahassee comes as DeSantis has struggled to gain traction nationally after weathering weeks of criticism from former President Donald Trump and other Republicans ahead of his likely 2024 announcement. DeSantis’ momentum after winning reelection in November by historic margins is beginning to evaporate. Even Florida’s GOP Legislative leaders, Senate President Kathleen Passidomo and House Speaker Paul Renner, on Wednesday declined to endorse DeSantis. While both praised the governor, they said they would wait until after the legislative session before saying who they would back for the 2024 election.

DeSantis administration officials declined to comment for this story.

DeSantis had already positioned himself as one of the most powerful governors in state history during his first term, strong-arming the Legislature to approve his congressional redistricting maps and reshaping GOP power in the state through boosting Republican voter registration numbers and endorsing school board candidates. Ahead of the session, the governor rolled out a lengthy agenda designed to give him a long line of legislative victories that he could tout if he runs for president as expected.

But after seven weeks, the toll is wearing people down. POLITICO interviewed more nearly 20 people involved in the legislative process, including Republican and Democratic legislators as well as lobbyists and legislative staffers.

Many Republicans said they support many of DeSantis’ priorities but have seen their own priority bills get waylaid or slowed down to help him. They have chafed at orders coming from legislative leaders who are working in concert with the governor’s office. Some have suggested that the GOP supermajority has made it easier for legislative leaders to ignore complaints from rank-and-file members.

“I think our Republican colleagues are done,” said state Sen. Jason Pizzo, a South Florida Democrat. “I think they are fed up. There’s obviously still some true believers and there’s some very loyal and allegiant individuals and groups … They would like him to hurry up and announce and start focusing exclusively on other stuff other than here.”

By all accounts though, DeSantis has racked up some big wins this session. Lawmakers have already passed multiple bills that the governor backed, including a ban on abortions after six weeks, a measure letting people carry concealed weapons without a permit and legislation that will no longer require a unanimous jury recommendation in death penalty cases.

On Wednesday, the Legislature sent to the governor’s desk a bill that would bar the use of certain types of investment strategies that DeSantis and other Republicans have called “woke.” Lawmakers also agreed to put on the 2024 ballot a proposed constitutional amendment that would make school board elections partisan. And a bill that would block children from attending adult-themed drag shows is also heading to the governor.

Yet some of DeSantis’ top priorities remain up in the air with less than three weeks to go, including tough new anti-immigration measures that DeSantis called for ahead of the session. One part of that package — eliminating in-state tuition rates for undocumented college students who went to a Florida high school — has yet to be introduced.

Another bill that lawmakers appear unlikely to approve would alter defamation laws and was designed to potentially set up a challenge to New York Times v. Sullivan, the landmark 1964 Supreme Court ruling that limits public officials’ ability to sue publishers. The House and Senate versions of the bill, which drew criticism from both traditional media outlets and conservative media, have languished for weeks in committee stops and legislators have not advanced them.

Renner insisted, though, that legislators this session were living up to what they told voters last fall.

“We’re doing the very things we campaigned on, we’re governing as we campaigned,” Renner said.

He acknowledged that there was a “chokepoint” earlier in the session because the House was spending most of its time on legislation being pushed by the governor and legislative leaders.

“If people are frustrated it’s probably because we had a ton of bills that the governor’s put forward that we in House and Senate leadership have put forward but,” Renner said. “There’s going to be a ton of other bills that are coming forward.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/20/florida-republicans-desantis-campaign-00092994

Additionally, House Republicans have passed a bill amending title IX to redefine "sex" to be specifically the sex they were assigned at birth.

The Senate will not be taking up the bill. The vote in the House was entirely on party lines with every Republican voting for it and every Democrat against.

Even though the bill will not be getting a vote in the Senate, the White House also released a statement that they would veto the bill and believe the law is unconstitutional because it filters people exclusively by sex at birth (which is out of their control) instead of "competitiveness" and is therefore discriminatory.

The bill is largely seen as a messaging bill and model legislation to pass if Republicans ever have a trifecta once again. It is not clear if they believe it passes constitutional muster or if they will revamp the bill to preemptively avoid legal challenges if they are ever in a situation where it has a chance to become law.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1649090969445498881

quote:

House Republicans pass ban on transgender athletes competing with women, girls

House Republicans passed first-of-its-kind federal legislation on Thursday to ban transgender athletes from competing on school sports teams with women and girls -- a political messaging priority for the GOP despite the bill having no chance of passing the Senate and facing a presidential veto threat.

Outside the Capitol, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy lauded the "Protection of Women and Girls in Sports Act" after the bill passed by a 219-203 vote along party lines.

"This is a great day for America, and a great day for girls and women, and for fairness in sports," McCarthy said. "House Republicans pledged before the last election or commitment to American women and girls in sports. Today we kept that," he added.

The bill would change Title IX's definition of sex to one "based solely on a person's reproductive biology and genetics at birth." Rep. Greg Steube, R-Fla., introduced the legislation in February after it failed to pass out of committee during the last two sessions of Congress, when Democrats controlled the House.

"House Republicans today passed this bill to protect the safety and fairness that we should have in women's sports and to make sure that no female athlete is ever forced to compete against a biological male, period," said House Majority Whip Rep. Tom Emmer as he stood with McCarthy and other GOP leaders.

Inside the Capitol, House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries slammed the bill as an example of Republicans "trying to sensationalize an issue that doesn't really exist in the way that they are falsely portraying."

"The NCAA already has a policy as it relates to this issue, so does the International Olympic Committee, so does the Track and Field Association, and many high school athletic associations have this issue addressed," he said. "So what this is about, again, extreme MAGA Republicans doing everything possible to jam their right-wing ideology down the throats of the American people."

Jeffries also warned of the potential consequences the legislation could have on the well-being of transgender children.

"I believe in the fundamental goodness and decency and integrity and respectfulness of the American people. And for me, this is not about politics. This is about being there for all of America's children, including transgender children, who just want to be able to live and to belong and to make friends," he said.

The bill is dead on arrival in the Democratic-controlled Senate, and the White House has also warned that President Joe Biden would veto the legislation if it made it to his desk.

"As a national ban that does not account for competitiveness or grade level, H.R. 734 targets people for who they are and therefore is discriminatory," the White House said in a statement Monday. "Politicians should not dictate a one-size-fits-all requirement that forces coaches to remove kids from their teams."

Still, the move serves as a messaging bill for House Republicans who are working to highlight LGBTQ issues, as states across the country try to pass similar bills restricting transgender athletes from participating in school sports.

"We kept our promise," McCarthy said. "Last year we pledged if we had the opportunity to be in the majority we would bring this bill forward. We would stand up fairness. We would stand up for you. We would stand up for Title XI. That’s exactly what we did today."

Since 2020, at least 21 states have enacted laws or policies that ban transgender athletes from playing on school sports teams with women and girls, according to the Movement Advancement Project.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-republicans-pass-nationwide-transgender-school-sports-ban/story?id=98725682

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is it normal to help and spend money on helping the vic relocate like that?

like movies and tv shows always so it as either a fast bug out method or some sort of slow quiet disappearance

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's small-bore stuff in comparison, but nice transphobic framing there from ABC, the loving worms

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

i know we've talked about this before but who votes for these dipshits. Who honestly believes that this is the most PRESSING thing in America? Like I kinda get the low tax people because at least it effects your paycheck in some way but who goes, YEP this is the thing that's going to make my life easier.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

is it normal to help and spend money on helping the vic relocate like that?

like movies and tv shows always so it as either a fast bug out method or some sort of slow quiet disappearance

Extremely unusual. Especially in a situation with no PFA from a judge or charge/conviction against the victimizer and while the alleged victim continued to work for them. In any situation where it was a court order or part of a police protection program, they would never do all of that and allow the alleged victim to continue working for the person they specifically relocated for protection.

Edit: This seems like it was specifically the state legislature funding this to avoid a complaint without subjecting him to any actual penalty. Either because of lack of proof or as a method of protecting him. It does not look like a court or law enforcement agency was involved in with the arrangement at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 20, 2023

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mooseontheloose posted:

i know we've talked about this before but who votes for these dipshits. Who honestly believes that this is the most PRESSING thing in America? Like I kinda get the low tax people because at least it effects your paycheck in some way but who goes, YEP this is the thing that's going to make my life easier.

Fundie Deplorable Chuds :freep: :heritage:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mooseontheloose posted:

What gets me is that if the situation was that a poor student got passed over for their one chance at a scholarship that would let them go to college and they were taking it out on "but but but bone density" then they'd still be a bigot but at least I would be able to understand where their head was for that one thing. But no, every single time this comes up it's some upper middle class school full of preppy white girls who have no stake in the game other than "wants to be good at playing sports".

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mooseontheloose posted:

The cruelty is the point.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

CuddleCryptid posted:

What gets me is that if the situation was that a poor student got passed over for their one chance at a scholarship that would let them go to college and they were taking it out on "but but but bone density" then they'd still be a bigot but at least I would be able to understand where their head was for that one thing. But no, every single time this comes up it's some upper middle class school full of preppy white girls who have no stake in the game other than "wants to be good at playing sports".

I think that is less about white women being inherently transphobic (edit: I don't mean that's what you said) and more that almost all of the people who care about kicking 8th graders off the volleyball team enough to give an interview on it (and also have connections to get the interview in a major news outlet, state legislature, etc) are right wing activists.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 20, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Being cruel is more important than their own benefits.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't forget there are plenty of people who don't think it's important but also don't think opposing it is important. They will vote on their favorite issues and ignore or forgive their stance on trans athletes

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Being cruel is more important than their own benefits.

I know and I know it shouldn't shock me but here I am just shocked again.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

Another Republican official has both been found guilty of being a horrible shitbag while also avoiding any accountability for his acts.

https://twitter.com/NC5PhilWilliams/status/1649096263760228352?s=20

He has now resigned.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can we just get some bad faith bills banning republicans from poo poo? It's not a protected class, and they're clearly more dangerous then transgender people.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"it doesn't matter if things don't ever get better for me as long as they get worse for other people"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

"it doesn't matter if things don't ever get better for me as long as they get worse for other people"

if democrats are incapable of standing up for queer people then they can at least be petty

I'm obviously also not really being serious. In my fantasy land it'd be nice if pointing out these sorts of things can go both ways was an effective strategy, but I kind of realize it's not.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Can we just get some bad faith bills banning republicans from poo poo? It's not a protected class, and they're clearly more dangerous then transgender people.

Liberal’s decorum won’t allow it and Dems are just as happy to hangout and support fascists.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Call me crazy but I don’t think messaging bills consisting of “members of the opposing political party can’t do [x]” is a political winner.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Randalor posted:

The Florida governor's office can't be held by the same person for more than two consecutive terms. Since this is his second term, he can't run for it again until 2030. Once his term's up in 2026, he has to find something else to do with himself for the next four years.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Oxyclean posted:

if democrats are incapable of standing up for queer people then they can at least be petty

I'm obviously also not really being serious. In my fantasy land it'd be nice if pointing out these sorts of things can go both ways was an effective strategy, but I kind of realize it's not.

it was more directed at people voting for the GOP than you, you just replied between the post i was replying to and i didn't quote it

hell it'd be nice if the dems did literally anything useful. gently caress it, pass spite bills

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Explain to me how you would go about policing this. What restrictions would you have in place to protect thought crime?

I’m talking about morality, not legality - you said abortion is never wrong, but there’s real and demonstrable harm being caused by the way it’s being selectively applied, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Fox News is about to have less personality

https://twitter.com/LakotaMan1/status/1649113480161796096?s=20