Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kliras posted:

if they get the replacement casting done quick, they could probably just put some text box saying "jonathan majors will be played by [x] after loki season 2", and i imagine most people would be fine with that

comedy option is treating him to the star wars deepfake face replacement

I've seen someone on here sugggest Michael B Jordan again and I'm here for it. 2nd choice, Yahya Abdul-Mateen (I have a Muslim name and I still think that's a really hard name to remember).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Replace everyone with Tig Notaro.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is Mahershala Ali too old? He's awesome.

After just finishing Snowfall, I feel Damson Idris is capable too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

Uh, Tim Blake Nelson?

gotta save him for Reed

Looten Plunder posted:

Is Mahershala Ali too old? He's awesome.

After just finishing Snowfall, I feel Damson Idris is capable too.

Wasn't he going to be blade?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rumors are Adam Driver is about to be cast as Reed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

No thanks.

The interesting thing about Reed Richards is that he's a square jawed do-gooder who you then realize is a narrow minded amoral monster. Driver would just be the latter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1649086109220061187

Probably just let this one go guys

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1648723002308333568

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

zoux posted:

Rumors are Adam Driver is about to be cast as Reed

https://twitter.com/SeamusHanly/status/1648793711189405698

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Isn't that just Vampire Diaries?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

You done it now...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/imnatemonroe/status/1648723589414244352?s=20

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ruddiger posted:

With more glitter

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Good, it means they're not unnecessarily remaking something good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok yeah watched more Mrs. Davis and nobody has to worry about being bored by any faith stuff. Certainly if you were ok with LOST-level - a show that literally ends with the characters being led into the afterlife by a man actually named Christian Shepherd - you’ll be fine with this, it’s nowhere near that and also just goofy and fun. It’s really good, check it out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok yeah watched more Mrs. Davis and nobody has to worry about being bored by any faith stuff. Certainly if you were ok with LOST-level - a show that literally ends with the characters being led into the afterlife by a man actually named Christian Shepherd - you’ll be fine with this, it’s nowhere near that and also just goofy and fun. It’s really good, check it out.

I mean Lost didn't start out that way either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was a reply to this:

feedmyleg posted:

If it's there in the same way it's there in Lost I'm fine with it, but if it's more central to the story I'm out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If it's like Supernatural, I'm in.

What I'm saying is that at the end I want her to kill god.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Trying to think of another star who had such a dramatic rise and fall. After Lovecraft Country this dude was loving everywhere, the MCU pegged their whole post-Thanos act on him. Three years.

Maybe not the same extent, but reminds me of Nate Parker who got a ton of good buzz for The Birth of a Nation, and then even before the movie came out the allegations about him came out and he (and the movie) just completely vanished. Speaking of MCU actors, looking it up now and Chadwick Boseman was one of the few people to publicly come out in support of Parker... along with Harvey Weinstein and Mel Gibson.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i guess it makes sense that they've been forgotten. nate parker was definitely a big one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Episode 6 of Ted Lasso was fantastic and exactly what I needed from the final season.

It was a great feel good episode with no Nate. (Well a little bit but yeah).

I also started watching Barry with my wife and she’s definitely digging it so far. Season 1 is so good.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Just finished the night manager and really enjoyed it! A great John le Carré adaption and Hugh Laurie was great as the villain. Really well acted all around.

Are there any other good spy tv shows/mini series out there that are relatively recent?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Confusedslight posted:

Just finished the night manager and really enjoyed it! A great John le Carré adaption and Hugh Laurie was great as the villain. Really well acted all around.

Are there any other good spy tv shows/mini series out there that are relatively recent?
slow horses is good simple fun

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MarcusSA posted:

Episode 6 of Ted Lasso was fantastic and exactly what I needed from the final season.

It was a great feel good episode with no Nate. (Well a little bit but yeah).

I also started watching Barry with my wife and she’s definitely digging it so far. Season 1 is so good.

Barry quickly went from a fun show with an interesting concept to one of my favorite shows of all time. It does comedy and drama so well.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hader also does episode recaps with Sean Fennessy on the Ringer Prestige TV podcast and it's super interesting.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Mrs. Davis is pretty great. Its surreal as hell but it's great.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Looten Plunder posted:

Snowfall finished tonight. Some pretty powerful stuff.

I think the writing got a little messy in a few spots in the last season, but the ending segment was really solid. I'd agree that hopefully Damson Idris gets another good role. He was great in his small role in Swarm too.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I watched the first two episodes of Mrs. Davis already. It rules and Better Gilpin deserves all the praise. I’m surprised they put four episodes out at once but whatever works for them.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Yea Mrs Davis is great. Definitely leans more into the surreal and bizarrely humorous side of Lindelof’s work. Yet can also be profound and quite moving.

Hope more people keep watching cause there’s so much to talk about.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Confusedslight posted:

Conversely, I just finished The Night Agent, and it was super meh.

Got major 'high schooler playing their own grandma' vibes from the actress playing the president's chief of staff. I guess it was cheap, though, since there were only two actors I'd ever seen in anything else and the rest were complete nobodies. And at least it was a lot less goofy than The Recruit, which went a bit too far in that direction.

You might like Condor, Deutschland 83, McMaffia (not really spy stuff, but kind of has the same vibe and style as The Night Manager), The Spy (with Sacha Baron Cohen), Jack Ryan (it has its flaws). That's just stuff I've watched, I have some more on my list that I haven't seen yet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

EricBauman posted:

Got major 'high schooler playing their own grandma' vibes from the actress playing the president's chief of staff. I guess it was cheap, though, since there were only two actors I'd ever seen in anything else and the rest were complete nobodies. And at least it was a lot less goofy than The Recruit, which went a bit too far in that direction..

Yes, noted nobody *checks notes* Hong Chau.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao yeah I’m not gonna watch The Night Agent but Hong Chau is Oscar-nominated and talented as poo poo, what the hell

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also Counterpoint but I never finished the 2nd season. Got super dark.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I looked up Hong Chau and she does look silly with the grey hair and glasses costume. Exactly like someone playing their grandma or mom.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Goddrat Mrs. Davis. Two eps down - trying to force myself to space them out but it's tough. I have an immense amount of time for Gilpin (singlehandedly carried The Hunt) and she's delivering in every scene, as is everyone really. Lindelof's Watchmen 3.0, or at least Watchmen 2.7 - that field of pianos! Why on earth is this a Warner thing that's on Peacock somehow, it'd surely go on HBO (the real HBO, not Max) no problem.

Also it starts identically to Assassin's Creed Unity, literally the same day (it was a Friday in the old calendar).

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Trying to continue Mrs. Davis but Peacock is giving me an error when I try to watch episode 3. I hope this show catches on because it's really loving good. Ever since the scene in American Gods where Betty Gilpin had to navigate the very complex emotions of seeing the zombie of her best friend who died caught in an affair with her husband I've been antsy to see anything she can do. I'm not sure anyone else could carry Mrs. Davis.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/actors-injuries-filming-colin-farrell-angela-bassett-1235376272/

Pretty funny article about actors talking about their injuries, but my main takeaway is that Elizabeth Marvel seems to consider Shakespeare to be a full contact sport.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

it's not recent at all but The Sandbaggers is a much watch if you enjoy spy stuff. They 100% killed the guy who wrote it

Counterpart is pretty decent

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've never heard of Mrs. Davis until now. Just saw a bit of the trailer, looks interesting. Might have to give it a go tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Looten Plunder posted:

Snowfall finished tonight. Some pretty powerful stuff.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I think the writing got a little messy in a few spots in the last season, but the ending segment was really solid. I'd agree that hopefully Damson Idris gets another good role. He was great in his small role in Swarm too.

Agreed with both of you, Idris defo deserves to do some more stuff.
A very solid show overall IMO, never mind-blowingly good or whatever but l gladly stuck around for the whole ride.
Was nice to read how they paid tribute to John Singleton in the finale too. (spoilers within!)