Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Believe someone in this thread said they nuked the vigor syndicate just to free up resources in their game..I could be misremembering something I read elsewhere though.

They do seem to be generating a colossal amount of very expensive fighters to annoy me with. I don't know where they get their funding from.

RBA Starblade posted:

I've had some weird hitching every few seconds lately in some sectors, I'll try that and see if it's related. Weird if it is, it only just started happening in the last couple days

Apparently they made some changes to controllers for their steam deck compatibility so maybe they buggered something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BTW has anyone used Boron marines yet? Are they absolute batshits? I used to love how crazy the "Violent" Boron (Marines, Pirates) in X3 could be. :allears: They usually came in two flavors IIRC, "bloodthirsty" and "nicest person stabbing you to death you've ever met".

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Stevefin posted:

Really getting into the post kingdom end connection start and this one really is just an advanced start with tick lists to make sure you really know what your doing.

Do you know how to build a fighter wing to a certain standard? check
Do you know how to increase your rep from enemy to neutral? check
Do you know how to build a station, pay the land taxes, buy blueprints and fit modules? check
Do you know how to smuggle and not get caught? check

The rewards are nice though especially for the station one

Thinking of finally giving this game and the X series a proper shot. I bought and played the last game for all of like 15 minutes before bouncing off hard and eventually settling into Elite. But X4 was on sale and everything I've read about the last DLC said it has the game in a good spot so what the hell.

Are the new starts better for a complete newbie than the Terran cadet? Because the one described above sounds good but I'm not sure if it's going to assume I know the really really basic stuff. Also any good tips for babby's first playthrough would be appreciated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tides of Avarice appears to be essentially an extended tutorial in many ways. But the sector itself is weird and I dunno if it is really a great microcosm for the game.

The herald quests are I think a little bit more advanced? You need some serious resources for a number of them. So you would already need to know how to play the game.

Also to unlock that start you need to do the quest from the other side where you connect the gates so you can't start with that if you're new anyway. Terran cadet is still quite solid.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 20, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah but then you're playing a drat meddlesome Terran.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Hakarne posted:

Thinking of finally giving this game and the X series a proper shot. I bought and played the last game for all of like 15 minutes before bouncing off hard and eventually settling into Elite. But X4 was on sale and everything I've read about the last DLC said it has the game in a good spot so what the hell.

Are the new starts better for a complete newbie than the Terran cadet? Because the one described above sounds good but I'm not sure if it's going to assume I know the really really basic stuff. Also any good tips for babby's first playthrough would be appreciated.

Terran start is good. Make sure you do the player HQ mission and hatikvas choice missions as soon as possible (the PHQ requires you to scan signal leaks on stations). Rest you just do what you need to figure out the game. There is no time limit on things and everything changes constantly. Make sure to change the game setting which allows time to pass while in menu if you intend to do a lot of economy stuff so things don't get paused while in menus (you can pause it manually while giving orders with default P key of you want).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Wow the ship they give you at the end of the Boron questline is ridiculous.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
How do you guys organize your cap fleets, especially now with the new carrier changes and bombard command? Do you make the carrier the fleet leader? Or the battleship? Do you put your carrier on intercept duty, or its fighters, or both?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It took from the release of X4 to today for me to realize that the AI says "turrent component factory." Who taught the AI to say turret wrong?!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

How do you guys organize your cap fleets, especially now with the new carrier changes and bombard command? Do you make the carrier the fleet leader? Or the battleship? Do you put your carrier on intercept duty, or its fighters, or both?
The Asgard and Python are battleships, and I use either one or the other as a fleet leader if I can get them (though obviously I wish each species had one), then a couple of carriers and a resupply ship for attacking with and resupplying fleet.
Add some destroyers that can attack with the fleet leader, and a few to defend the fleet leader, the carriers and resupply ships.
Then add as many small and medium as each ship has docks for and then set mix them up between attacking with and defending for roles from the commander, and use advanced behavior to make them dock on their respective ships depending on the role they have (defend for is always launched, attack with stay docked until needed).
Finally, configure plasma turrets and main batteries so they target capital ships and bases, and configure flak turrets to intercept (or whatever the order is, I can't remember).

EDIT: Also note that attack/defend/intercept is at least partially controlled by what ship is the fleet leader, at least from what I can tell.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 21, 2023

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

Wow the ship they give you at the end of the Boron questline is ridiculous.

I am almost at the end, having to ferry the water by Small vessel as the tide break medium dock glitch and broke, a very painful experience, do not recommend

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I'm waiting on someone to make a Boron version of this mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/994

I started their quest, boarded one of the fighters, it feels nice, but drat am I bored of the organic look of those things, and it's a shame I can't mount their guns on my Teladi / Argon fleet .

Re: Freespace. I stil think it's the gold standard for a space sim shooter, with the only minor gripe I remember having with it when I played it back in 2000 was that a lot of the guns were very similar and functioned as straight-upgrades to each other.
The moment I realized how crazy good the basic dumbfire rapid-fire missiles were , I had entire banks of them to use instead of my primary weapons, since you could re-arm your ammo for free if you knew when the downtime was in missions.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Apparently some boron do just fine out of the water

Though I can't talk to them to deliver their steaks. I wonder if they need the water to communicate.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I had that exact same bug in a bar too. It was a lockbox mission to deliver steaks too.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Stevefin posted:

I am almost at the end, having to ferry the water by Small vessel as the tide break medium dock glitch and broke, a very painful experience, do not recommend
Other folks had a similar issue with M class haulers, I had a water factory in Heretics End and just diverted an L hauler to do the delivery and it completed the mission just fine without me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ZombyDog posted:

Other folks had a similar issue with M class haulers, I had a water factory in Heretics End and just diverted an L hauler to do the delivery and it completed the mission just fine without me.

My L completed the delivery fine but inexplicably I didn’t get quest credit until I personally TP’d in to see why I didn’t get quest credit :shepface:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
x5 will be a shake up by making the game more an rts like homeworld instead of you and your minion friends

the ai will still be bad

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Gimme some of that mid 90s RTS pathfinding AI. Command & Conquer harvesters, salute.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Building a sandbag wall across the entire gate to stop the xenon from being able to path into my sector

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The sandbag now is called being a defense station with 200 large plasma turrets.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Plasma turrets can't hit small and medium ships very well, unless there's a lot of them.

Time to build several thousand plasma turrets.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just add 400 beam turrets or something. God they have such poo poo damage but if there's enough of them it ought to work. Ideally I'd want a defense station that fires hundreds of missiles but they are such a pain in the rear end to maintain and look terrible ingame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The dumbfires make passable station bombardment options because they have 20km range, slap them on a destroyer in large and medium mounts and it can make pretty short work of a station. They also don't need smart chips to rearm.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6BOwO5QyJI

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FrickenMoron posted:

Just add 400 beam turrets or something. God they have such poo poo damage but if there's enough of them it ought to work. Ideally I'd want a defense station that fires hundreds of missiles but they are such a pain in the rear end to maintain and look terrible ingame.

Beams work pretty well against small ships. They are basically hitscan, so you don't waste time filling empty space with bullets and you don't have overkill.

They are underwhelming in small numbers, but there's an inflection point where they delete any small ship coming into range almost instantly, while the same complement of flak turrets would be missing a lot or have bullets still in flight.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Has boarding been changed in the new update? I'm not able to capture this SCA phoenix I'm working on. They had 28 crew and I've sent over 200 to take them out, 50 at a time since that's the limit - is that limit new maybe? They were down to 10 remaining defending, but my last batch of 50 only managed to kill 2 before failing.

Now if I have to buy 300 marines every time I board something it's going to cost a pretty penny. What's going on?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I noticed that too, the defending crew seem to have a signficant advantage, although I was able to swarm them with about 100 guys at once I think.

When I fought it relatively evenly matched, 50vs50, the defenders lost maybe two guys and I lost everyone.

I am thinking veterancy might play a part too, as even one star marines seem to do a lot of damage to attackers.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
How did you manage to use 100 marines at once?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just launched them out of a ship. I think I actually used a teuta because it was the only ship I had that could carry a hundred + crew lol. I had the barbarossa disabled in silent witness so I tasked the teuta I had salvaging in the outer sector to come and board it. It launched about a hundred or so of them at the ship.

I don't honestly know what governs how many it will launch because I did tell it to fire the whole crew at the thing but it only launched about two thirds.

I don't know how you add more boarders after the fact, or if that's even possible, and I also don't know how well multi-ship boarding works either, so a big civilian ship with a big crew is probably your best bet for stealing destroyers. But I very rarely actually use boarding mechanics so I am probably not the best person to ask.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 21, 2023

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I guess the limit is due to the ship I'm attacking?

Is it possible to send in reinforcements or something, once they start dying?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh possibly, you presumably can't launch more marines than the ship can actually hold because they become crew after the boarding operation is over.

I don't honestly know if you can add reinforcements, becuase the operation phases would get confused.

You might be able to get some crew to bail if you reduce the ship's hull a bunch, they will repair it but I often find some of the crew hit the life rafts if you bring it down, not always though.

I think you kinda would just need better marines otherwise, which are difficult to get without winning boarding operations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Scan the ship and check their crew information menus. Do they have a bunch of veteran marines aboard? One thing I’m learning from pirating the pirates is that marine skill counts for a LOT.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
All recruit boarding has always been a crapshoot. I’ve had L pirate ships that took 2, sometimes 3, iterations of all-recruit boarding parties (42 scrubs at a time) but I always just kind of assumed that was “normal”, for a given value thereof, and I’d just skim the vets out of those to consolidate a “trained marine” ship somewhere for the more-important boarding stuff.

There is (was? used to be?) a way to Just Buy vets from third party docks by buying “High Preset” ships fully crewed with marines and in theory that had a higher rate of giving you vets/elites in the crew mix, but outside of that I think terraforming projects or mods are the only way to train marines up without just dumping hundreds of them into the RNG boarding meat grinder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah considering that you can repair a capital ship in quite short order just with the crew, even if it took a thousand of the buggers to board it you'd still be getting your money's worth, it's just that it's a pain in the arse to actually organize that, so it's not worth your time unless you're really hard up for cash or it's something you can't buy.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
What happens if a faction is wiped out?

The mods I have installed are meaning the Xenon are absolutely stomping Antigone and obviously the split. The split have already lost 2 sectors and I'm maybe 2 hours in..

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Really surprised there is no option for training marines. There was in X3 wasn’t there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can train them, I poo poo you not, with terraforming projects. The terraforming projects each allow you a gimmick for the world, and some of the gimmicks are training crew, lmao.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than the X3 approach where you had to send them to a station for ingame days or whatever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Getting to Terraforming is a huge investment isn’t it?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's pretty much the end-game goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, and some of them have little quest rewards, but it's mostly a resource sink when you have nothing else to blow it on

One of the quest rewards is literally nothing, but you should have expected that, really