Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I actually keep up with a lot of current hip-hop/rap/drill/whatever you wanna call it, but any sort of current rock/pop has me just "WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?! :bahgawd:"

Compare Rolling Loud (generally more hip-hop/rap focused):

Like half of these I'm like "Oh hell yeah! Glorilla! Big Boss Vette! Lola Brooke! Gloss Up! Latto! Kentheman! Mello Buckzz!"

Then I look at Coachella and:

Who the gently caress are most of these people/groups?! There's exceptions! Remi Wolf! Flo Milli! Kenny Beats! Bad Bunny! Latto and Glorilla again! But most of them I'm just :psyduck:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CatBlack posted:

my collection is 225 records + 1 cd (Min $3,904.90 Med $6,316.01 Max $10,570.98)

i've slowed down tremendously because my kallax is absolutely full and i dont have space for another one. nearly filled up an overflow box already.

What’s the CD?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Read After Burning posted:

I actually keep up with a lot of current hip-hop/rap/drill/whatever you wanna call it, but any sort of current rock/pop has me just "WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?! :bahgawd:"

Who the gently caress are most of these people/groups?! There's exceptions! Remi Wolf! Flo Milli! Kenny Beats! Bad Bunny! Latto and Glorilla again! But most of them I'm just :psyduck:

I watch all the late night shows and so I do know some of the ones besides those you mentioned. I decided to note each one. It is pathetic how few I recognized.

070 Shake, Linda Lindas, Christine and the Queens, Charli XCX, Kid Laroi, boygenius, Paris Texas, Weyes Blood, Sudan Archives, Breeders, Dinner Party, SG Lewis, Wet Leg, Yungblud

Some of those washed over me when I saw them and others made more impact. Do not gently caress with Dinner Party, they were on Kimmel Monday night and were real smooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0_30bMp-Nk

Weyes Blood was on Colbert past week and was very nice too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZvTA5Bae8

And on Seth in 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYu2ow947qc

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 20, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

pwn posted:

I watch all the late night shows and so I do know some of the ones besides those you mentioned. I decided to note each one. It is pathetic how few I recognized.

070 Shake, Linda Lindas, Christine and the Queens, Charli XCX, Kid Laroi, boygenius, Paris Texas, Weyes Blood, Sudan Archives, Breeders, Dinner Party, SG Lewis, Wet Leg, Yungblud

Ah, forgot about Yungblud, not the biggest fan of his music but he seems like a decent (queer?) dude.

I'm not familiar with 070 Shake's music; I only know of her (them? not sure) because they dated Kehlani for a while and I LOVE Kehlani's "It Was Good Until It Wasn't" album. Still need to check out Blue Water Road...

pwn
May 27, 2004

Linda Lindas are a group of teenagers and they are neat. Not my bag, kinda babby's first punk, but they are babbys so whatever let them have fun. They've been on the Kimmel show a couple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj7Xdwu50gs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhu3y3mwo10

Oh yeah, I forgot they were on Fallon too, thanks Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfLfKSLXi_I

pwn
May 27, 2004

boygenius is a supergroup I came to know four years ago when I was simultaneously discovering its constituent members on Last Call with Carson Daly. Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker, and the one who really broke out, Phoebe Bridgers. I can't share those Last Call vids because of course NBC privated the whole Last Call YT channel after his show ended, but here is their Tiny Desk. If you're familiar with Bridgers, they're in that vein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS48Lp34Zic

They will be on Kimmel tonight. I know I saved their Last Call performances, let me take a pause here to see if they're on a surviving HDD.

...it would not appear that they are not. RIP

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Read After Burning posted:

Compare Rolling Loud (generally more hip-hop/rap focused):

Like half of these I'm like "Oh hell yeah! Glorilla! Big Boss Vette! Lola Brooke! Gloss Up! Latto! Kentheman! Mello Buckzz!"

Tobe Nwigwe rips so any reason to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRP3tig_B20

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

IUG posted:

What’s the CD?

Skid row by james ferraro. Found it in the heavy metal section at a CD store

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Okay y'all didn't mention that the Randy Savage disc was purple.

I'm giving it consideration now. drat you.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I knew a lot more on that Coachella lineup than I realized yet the only newer ones I wanted to shout out specifically are Yves Tumor and The Comet is Coming. Outstanding live shows.

I'm just standing around and waiting for the next Desert Daze lineup to drop knowing full well nothing's gonna top 2019:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 21, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Los Bitchos opened for King Gizzard on their recent EU tour and were great, I picked up their album from the merch stand immediately.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Los Bitchos opened for King Gizzard on their recent EU tour and were great, I picked up their album from the merch stand immediately.

They opened for Belle & Sebastian last summer and we’re amazing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Debating going out tomorrow. Eyeing up ODB, Scott Weiland and loving Taproot of all bands. :lol:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I just want that Dismemberment Plan reissue of Change because that album rips and hasn’t had a good copy available in forever.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

I knew a lot more on that Coachella lineup than I realized yet the only newer ones I wanted to shout out specifically are Yves Tumor and The Comet is Coming. Outstanding live shows.

I'm just standing around and waiting for the next Desert Daze lineup to drop knowing full well nothing's gonna top 2019:

Yeah that's an awfully hard lineup to top right there, drat.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

Wandering around wasted at a music fest and stumbling onto new poo poo is my favorite part. My friends will spend the month leading up to a festival looking up everything but I love the dice roll.

I go through this really stupid passion project yearly with the Pitchfork fest where i go through and listen to all the available content of all the bands beforehand and put together a nice little schedule for myself (and whoever else is interested). It's kind of my one way to at least attempt to keep up with the new buzz bands and revisit old favorites.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I need Pitchfork to bring back the Midwinter fest. Wandering around the Chicago Art Institute in-between sets was rad as hell.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Schremp Howard posted:

I just want that Dismemberment Plan reissue of Change because that album rips and hasn’t had a good copy available in forever.

Same. I'm debating actually going out tomorrow AM or just waiting for it to hit Discogs/eBay.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Definitely going out tomorrow for Horse the Band, Shadows Fall and the Bill Evans release. thankfully the last couple RSD's have been light on the crowds at my nearest shop so I might be able to get everything I want. That and they asked two months ago when the list hit "Please tell us what you want to be featured a bit more so we buy more copies" so hopefully that works out.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

According to a local record shops listing the Horse the band album is $38. I'd like a copy but drat.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

:byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood:

That sucks because I know that Bill Evans (and Eric Dolphy) release will also be pricey.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

dorium posted:

:byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood::byodood:

That sucks because I know that Bill Evans (and Eric Dolphy) release will also be pricey.

The local shop has the Bill Evans Treasures listed at $73.99...

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

welp, crossing that off my list. I love Bill Evans, but I'm not dropping that on an RSD release. I'd rather see what goodies they have in the new/used bin.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

haven't bought much lately but decided to finally pull the trigger and buy one of my favorite pieces of music off disocgs

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I'm hoping the HORSE release is niche enough it will still be around when I make my way over to the store at some point, maybe Sunday afternoon.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got the bowie box in. It’s really heavy. But pretty nicely done. I had forgotten how terrible the album art is for the BBC sessions. Now it’s even bigger!

pwn
May 27, 2004

From tonight's broadcast--

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1649694588464971776

(I'm not going to try uploading it to YT for the same reason NBC's not going to)

I enjoyed this and wanted to find a better version. Here's the original, from the New Yorker, by Eddie Small and Jason Adam Katzenstein

pwn fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 22, 2023

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

BigFactory posted:

I got the bowie box in. It’s really heavy. But pretty nicely done. I had forgotten how terrible the album art is for the BBC sessions. Now it’s even bigger!

Yeah, it uses, like, five or six fonts and has a LOT going on everywhere else. HOURS is really poorly designed too.

At least the music is good. The version of Cracked Actor on that album is amazing with Earl Slick's perfectly raunchy guitar tone.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 22, 2023

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Seems like Australia just didn't get the Sigur Ros RSD album, and the Boris/SUNN album is $95 which...nah.

Did grab The Smile's album and an older Yves Tumor release for 20% off though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

I, Butthole posted:

Seems like Australia just didn't get the Sigur Ros RSD album, and the Boris/SUNN album is $95 which...nah.

Did grab The Smile's album and an older Yves Tumor release for 20% off though.

oof. my local store got a copy of altar so I was going to go try for it, but then I found out it's only 2LP instead of the 3LP of the original. $95 makes me more glad I didn't even try

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I was able to grab a copy of the Dismemberment Plan's RSD offering just now off Discogs for retail price, so I no longer have to deal with the crowds tomorrow. I feel the $6 extra I had to pay to have it shipped is worth it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm at work.

my shift doesn't even end for another twenty minutes

the record store opens in seven hours and fifty minutes

this is going to suck

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went to the local today to pick through and discover some Jazz, good day.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 22, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

Yeah, it uses, like, five or six fonts and has a LOT going on everywhere else. HOURS is really poorly designed too.

At least the music is good. The version of Cracked Actor on that album is amazing with Earl Slick's perfectly raunchy guitar tone.

It looks like album art I would have made for a cd-r bootleg. At least hours was intended to have the funny cd case that made the picture change. Both good albums though. Y2K bowie ftw.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Got up early for RSD today, and somehow I didn't know that Taylor Swift has a release today. I'm going to Vinyl Tap and Grimey's in Nashville so basically I expect to have a 1000 yard stare by mid-afternoon

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this sucks

the line is like four blocks long

maybe more

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've never gone to a RSD, but I've always been able to get the exclusives in the weeks after

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

it's moved pretty quickly so far, I'm not only a block away or so.

unclear how much of that is "people are finishing or leaving" vs "they are compressing the line at the door"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I did the waiting in line thing for RSD once and that was enough for me. I didn't like the mad rush into the store and the craziness of people ripping stuff off the shelves right before others took it. Not my scene. Honestly I don't see a point to RSD anymore as vinyl/record stores have made a real comeback as the day intended and now it's just a collection of artificially scarce albums and stress.

BigFactory posted:

It looks like album art I would have made for a cd-r bootleg. At least hours was intended to have the funny cd case that made the picture change. Both good albums though. Y2K bowie ftw.

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about the old Hours packaging. I don't think it's been used since the initial release.

But yeah, the cover art is directly inverse to the music quality there. The 2000 BBC concert is still my favorite live album of his and having the full show now makes me incredibly happy.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 22, 2023