Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I have no idea how Prodigy is managing to tow that line of serialized story while having the whole trail to get you there have import, but promote that writing team or something.

Wierdly, kids shows are really good at it these days, way better than most adult 'prestige' shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

zoux posted:

I'd be interested in a Lost Era series, we don't know very much about the period between the end of Undiscovered Country and the beginning of TNG.

Start it with the Enterprise B just after it gets fixed from when in got hosed up in Generations, and continue with the Enterprise C, and end that series with them going to defend Narendra 3 (or 4 or 5 or whatever the fucknumber it was) from the Romulans.

Ending scene writes itself: Fierce volley of photon torpedos and credits roll.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I would prefer it to start with Narendra, and not to take place on an Enterprise, call it Ambassador or something and it follows the captain of the follow ship and all the politics of the Federation finally having a proper alliance with the Klingons and what that would look like. Plenty of intrigue and drama too since as Yesterday's Enterprise showed the Klingon's would've happily gone to war with the Federation regardless so it's not a done deal just because of the C's sacrifice. You know if we're doing a prequel series.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

One of the Lost Era novels, The Art of the Impossible, made the interesting choice of telling one story (the Klingon/Cardassian Betreka Nebula cold war) stretched over almost 20 years but without an Enterprise as its main focal point, or even any main cast characters other than a quick Uhura cameo, I think. It was largely espionage stuff so that could be a fun thing to adapt as like an Andor style thriller if they can find writers good enough to handle it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Problem with a show about going to another Galaxy is... Why? Colonial imperialism isn't okay. Invading another galactic ecosystem isn't cool. Provoking new existential threats isn't wise. Potentially being the 10-C to new galaxy life forms is a lesson they already learned is bad.

We all wish Voyager was better and actually explored it's most interesting core concepts, but the same kind of lovely producers who made Voyager never as good as it could be are the same kind who would never let Voyager-but-for-real-this-time go to waste too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The galaxy in Star Trek is dense enough we absolutely do not need to ever leave it to still have great and interesting stories. Even the alpha and beta quadrants have plenty of entirely unexplored territory that could be filled in without resorting to old factions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Khanstant posted:

Problem with a show about going to another Galaxy is... Why? Colonial imperialism isn't okay. Invading another galactic ecosystem isn't cool. Provoking new existential threats isn't wise. Potentially being the 10-C to new galaxy life forms is a lesson they already learned is bad.

We all wish Voyager was better and actually explored it's most interesting core concepts, but the same kind of lovely producers who made Voyager never as good as it could be are the same kind who would never let Voyager-but-for-real-this-time go to waste too.
10-C?

I think mostly people want some fresh fuckin sci fi in their Star Treks, not just dicking around an extended cinematic universe

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's time for Star Trek to start living up to the words of Q.

quote:

If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
10-C were the aliens destroying planets mining for cell phone batteries or whatever because they didn't notice the tiny mediocre life forms that live in the galaxy.

They can do fresh sci-fi without going to another Galaxy, there is 0 correlation between that setting concept and fresh sci-fi. You really wanna double dog dare this era of Trek to make stale garbage ?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

It's time for Star Trek to start living up to the words of Q.

I'm picturing John reading that over the opening credits.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Khanstant posted:

10-C were the aliens destroying planets mining for cell phone batteries or whatever because they didn't notice the tiny mediocre life forms that live in the galaxy.

They can do fresh sci-fi without going to another Galaxy, there is 0 correlation between that setting concept and fresh sci-fi. You really wanna double dog dare this era of Trek to make stale garbage ?
I agree with you, I mean that going geographically far away from the decades of established Trekery is probably supposed to make it easier to do a new script. Less temptation to do obscure fan service or include Section 31.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nessus posted:

Less temptation to do obscure fan service or include Section 31.

Discovery LITERALLY went 1000 years into the future and had a story featuring the Guardian of forever.

The solution to not having derivative writing is to not have derivative writing. No matter how far the setting is removed from everything else, writers will crutch if allowed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

The galaxy in Star Trek is dense enough we absolutely do not need to ever leave it to still have great and interesting stories. Even the alpha and beta quadrants have plenty of entirely unexplored territory that could be filled in without resorting to old factions.

That map actually dramatically overestimates the size of the Federation. It's actually more like

Click for very big version

The galaxy is loving huge

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I admire the optimism but what I see is just extremely frustrating, contradictory, and convoluted ways to shoehorn in those exact same tires things. If there was a will and possibility to create fresh Trek unburdened by its own legacy, they might've tried it, and it probably was one of the too-many-cooks concepts molding over resulting in Disco.

Picard S3 has a strangely positive reaction overall and afaik I can tell after a month of trying to figure it out, the only thing anyone likes about it is seeing old fogies portrayed poorly by existing faces. The popular live action Trek features Spock, Kirk, Pike, Uhuru frigging smash bros everyone TOS is there.

Prodigy is just new Voyagers, LD is a funny christmas ghost of Trek past.

To some extent I don't think can do what is being desired here. Orville is the closest not-Trek Trek, but it also did a lot of revisiting older sci-fi ideas from newer progressive angles.

I liked Stargate Universe so I'm down for it conceptually if they can somehow think of a not-lovely reason to even go to another Galaxy and get away from itself(I really can't think of a good one, but can't honk of reasons I'd hate), but just logistically can't see it happening with what Paramount seems to count on to get people to watch their shows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where did 'going to another Galaxy' come from, nobody suggested it in this conversation. We just suggested 'go explore unknown space instead of dicking around in the same part of the setting we've been stuck in for all of nuTrek except prodigy'

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

That map actually dramatically overestimates the size of the Federation. It's actually more like

Oh I like that map even better. Thanks. And yeah one of the main things I've always loved of Trek is that it never tried to make the galaxy small (until nuTrek)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikeJF posted:

I like the tiny "When we make maps we don't talk about ST:V"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Where did 'going to another Galaxy' come from, nobody suggested it in this conversation. We just suggested 'go explore unknown space instead of dicking around in the same part of the setting we've been stuck in for all of nuTrek except prodigy'

Some of us do mention things like the LMC because it is the best possible way to avoid the Borg, Dominion, and the possibility of running into anyone we already know

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
New Trek series where they discover they can go “up” and “down” within the galaxy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Galactic North and Galactic South

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HD DAD posted:

New Trek series where they discover they can go “up” and “down” within the galaxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbTUTNenvCY&t=12s

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They could also try other angles of live in Star Trek universe, like
-A show about life and problems in a new colony world
-A show about civilian live in non-fully-utopian worlds
-A show about life and activities in a major starfleet starbase
-A show about humans who chose to live outside federation

Or if they really need to get that monkey paw's Section 31 thing just do "mission impossible (the TV show) in space".

But yeah no, we get that "Starfleet academy show" that has been the lazy option since Roddenberry, and Section 31 action movie that probably makes Nemesis look like a fine piece of cinematic art.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Buy the rights to sector general, do all the alien medical drama stuff

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Der Kyhe posted:

But yeah no, we get that "Starfleet academy show" that has been the lazy option since Roddenberry

Normally yes. But the setting may actually work if they handle it well. I'm not saying there's much CHANCE of them handling it well, but a show around starfleet academy when the academy has been opened up for the first time in 100 years could be compelling.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bull3964 posted:

Discovery LITERALLY went 1000 years into the future and had a story featuring the Guardian of forever.

The solution to not having derivative writing is to not have derivative writing. No matter how far the setting is removed from everything else, writers will crutch if allowed.

Yeah, he's the Guardian of Forever, not the Guardian for a few centuries

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

swickles posted:

Yeah, he's the Guardian of Forever, not the Guardian for a few centuries

He also now keeps the portal door locked so that random people can no longer just waltz in.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Der Kyhe posted:

Or if they really need to get that monkey paw's Section 31 thing just do "mission impossible (the TV show) in space".

But yeah no, we get that "Starfleet academy show" that has been the lazy option since Roddenberry, and Section 31 action movie that probably makes Nemesis look like a fine piece of cinematic art.

I've always wanted a deep-dive show with a follow-up team exploring that Dyson sphere.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

He also now keeps the portal door locked so that random people can no longer just waltz in.

“No Kirk you can’t watch Edith Keeler in bed again. Go away.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anyone still have the old BYOB (or FYAD?) gifs with Barclay in the purple uniform and O’Brien beaming blunts?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone still have the old BYOB (or FYAD?) gifs with Barclay in the purple uniform and O’Brien beaming blunts?

https://youtu.be/bQVc79FE5Bo

Should be in here somewhere
Nb don’t watch at work

Wth, got the weed but no Barclay one. Let me look

Here it is on imgur lol. Save it while you can!

Anyway it was FYAD guy DocEvil=weird twitter guy @fart=Jon Hendren=the guy who told Smash Mouth to eat eggs

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 21, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

brawny :smug: is one of those things that I'll think about 40 years from now

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Whenever I see that gif I always read it in an MC Chris voice for some reason

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

skasion posted:

Anyway it was FYAD guy DocEvil

drat that [dude] make a lot of flags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQVc79FE5Bo

Edit: :nws:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Cause and Effect doesn’t require the viewer to know any of the characters and is a good example of what TNG is like. A lot of the “best of Trek” like Measure of a Man or BoBW or even Inner Light rely to some degree on the viewer knowing the characters. Cause and Effect is solid, entertaining and economically communicates everything the viewer needs to know.
There's a pretty good chance Cause and Effect was my first episode and it made a lifelong fan out of me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sash! posted:

Some of us do mention things like the LMC because it is the best possible way to avoid the Borg, Dominion, and the possibility of running into anyone we already know

Move farther away without addressing the bad writer problem and what you're going to get are increasingly strained ways to tie everything back to the existing universe. Hop to another galaxy? Time for secret origins of the Borg or oh look, here's the real source of some random monster of the week from TNG. And if the Federation can do it then so can everyone else and that would definitely show up sooner or later.

My preferred setting for new Trek is definitely out in unexplored space (just the very frontier of Federation territory, it doesn't matter) because those are the stories I like. But frankly I'd rather let the writers go hog wild by occasionally bringing up Klingon politics or whatever because at least there'd be that blow off valve for tying things back into the universe without the stupid bullshit that shows up in shows like Discovery or even Voyager and Enterprise.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 21, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
New prequel idea: Enterprise the US Navy aircraft carrier and her valiant attempt to stop obvious Russian spies from accessing nuclear materials

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

HD DAD posted:

“New” isn’t guaranteed to make that sweet, sweet money. Nostalgia is the piggy bank they can keep breaking open over and over.

With the “success” of Picard S3, this poo poo is only going to get even worse.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

CainFortea posted:

I don't think Inner Light really has anything you need to know about the characters ahead of time that isn't pretty well established in the episode itself.

Later on when he flutes with his girlfriend in the jeffries tubes sure, you kinda need to know why the flute is a big deal.

I'm gonna argue there's a difference between what you need to know going into an episode and what the writer's are hoping you will know in order for the episode to have a more satisfying emotional weight. The Inner Light stands on it's own as an entertaining hour of television but the writers are hoping you will know who Picard is, the kind of man he is and that he is not in reality Kamin. Watching Picard investigate this mystery and settle down and have a family and live an entire life knowing who Picard is just hits different and the writer's are trusting that they don't have to write a line for Picard where he says "How strange is it that I of all people have chosen to start a family and isn't it interesting to see this very different side of me?" you do that work for the writers because you already know Picard, still a solid episode if you don't but it's not the same episode and some of the emotional weight of that episode can't be shouldered if you don't know Picard.

Like Measure of a Man is a great episode on it's own but it hits different you know Data, if you know the kind of person he is. Data is actually really passive through that episode, nearly everything we learn about Data within the episode is from someone telling us but the writers go into the episode assuming you already know Data, and that you know Picard and Riker. You are not supposed to be won over to the idea of Data's personhood through the process of the trial, really. You are meant to go into the episode already confident of that fact because you know Data. You know his place in his community, you know who Data's friends are, you know who Tasha is, you know all the details of his life you can't communicate in a trial. But it still stands up as a good episode if you don't know any of these people or the show but some of the emotional weight of the episode rests on you knowing those things.

I just think high concept stories like Cause and Effect are better intros if you only had one episode to communicate what Star Trek TNG is. Like does it help to know the crew and the show, yeah but you're not missing out in the way you are missing out if you go into The Inner Light blind.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, sure, but all of that is very well established in that episode.

quote:

ELINE: Thank goodness. I've had people out trying to find you everywhere. Why did you worry us like that? Are you hungry?
PICARD: Hungry, thirsty, exhausted. I suppose that proves this is not a dream, doesn't it?
ELINE: You think this, your life, is a dream?
PICARD: This is not my life. I know that much.

quote:

ELINE: Was your life there so much better than this? So much more gratifying, so much more fulfilling, that you cling to it with such stubbornness?
PICARD: Eline.
ELINE: It must have been extraordinary. But never in all of the stories you've told me have you mentioned anyone who loved you as I do.

quote:

PICARD: I would have believed I didn't need children to complete my life. Now I couldn't imagine life without them.

The whole "how strange it is I of all people to start a family thing" is basically in the very text of the episode.

It's very clear from the episode itself that Picard and Kamin were not similar people. I think that it's just hard for people who do have the background and experience with the characters to see something that's so clearly a personal episode that has a lot to do with those characters in any kind of light than as a fan who already knows a bunch about it.

But TNG is pretty good about making stuff self contained, for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Der Kyhe posted:

The Dominion War might be too far back to have as a setting, but having a Starfleet ship stranded in the Gamma Quadrant at the outbreak of the war I thought could be an interesting idea. They need to flee from the Dominion's core systems and end up in the Dominion backwater regions of space where the Dominion doesn't bother having a lot of ships, intermixing with the Gamma Quadrant's version of the Orion syndicate and Maquis.

I could also see adapting Roddenberry's Earth Final Conflict idea to one that follows a Starfleet diplomatic team, newly arrived on a planet that just joined the Federation and having to convince the various people that they're only here to help.