Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Also I'm thinking about that "Buy the DLC for gay" thing with TLOU and Horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I mean, I have zero intention of buying the game anyway because I'm just not a fan of open world survival/action/stealth/crafting games.

But if there's a choice between DLC with LGBT content and DLC without LGBT content, I will applaud the former every time.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Cythereal posted:

And yet, I'll take being pandered to over being ignored and not represented.

Cheers to that. Disability rep is basically non-existent in games so I feel you.

e: like The Surge has your character in a wheelchair at the beginning, then nullifies the whole deal by putting him in an exosuit. So like okay the only way to make him worth playing is to take him out of the wheelchair? Real cool, real cool.

Whenever blind people do show up in games it’s generally patronizing. Vessels for spiritual enlightenment, badass warrior types, but never, you know, just blind people being people.

And I struggle to think of any other disabilities that are commonly even seen in games at all.

unattended spaghetti has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Apr 21, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BurningBeard posted:

Cheers to that. Disability rep is basically non-existent in games so I feel you.

Which is why the lead protagonist in Waves of Steel uses a wheelchair. I remember what inspired me to do this, too: a tweet making the rounds about how one of the chair options in the most recent Animal Crossing was a wheelchair. The tweeter specifically said "I feel seen", and goddamn if that wasn't a powerful phrase.

(You couldn't use the wheelchair as transportation, so your character would still walk places...still, better than nothing I guess)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BurningBeard posted:

e: like The Surge has your character in a wheelchair at the beginning, then nullifies the whole deal by putting him in an exosuit. So like okay the only way to make him worth playing is to take him out of the wheelchair? Real cool, real cool.

Whenever blind people do show up in games it’s generally patronizing. Vessels for spiritual enlightenment, badass warrior types, but never, you know, just blind people being people.

And I struggle to think of any other disabilities that are commonly even seen in games at all.

I liked Woozie from GTASA cause he's super chill and a huge bro, but they also did a lot of 'haha he's blind get it' jokes which even at the time felt a bit eugh. i do wonder how actual blind people felt about his portrayal tho

Pathfinder 2e has a small subset of things like adventurer designed wheelchairs that can handle stairs, and be fit with sickass magical enchantments and poo poo, so that's another little thing that's pretty cool. :shobon:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Which is why the lead protagonist in Waves of Steel uses a wheelchair. I remember what inspired me to do this, too: a tweet making the rounds about how one of the chair options in the most recent Animal Crossing was a wheelchair. The tweeter specifically said "I feel seen", and goddamn if that wasn't a powerful phrase.

(You couldn't use the wheelchair as transportation, so your character would still walk places...still, better than nothing I guess)

Sick. Thank you for that. I don’t want to create a massive derail here but I feel like in the last decade we’ve made some serious progress for helping minorities get representation, hearing their stories, etc etc. But I feel like disabled people have been pushed to the fringes of even that forward movement. It’s kinda disheartening, cause it feels like wait your turn. And it’s not like Imma crow about it when other people are getting a well-deserved leg up, you know?

Either way, thanks for giving a poo poo. And if you ever wanna bolt TTS onto your game and would like a tester with some poo poo vision, say the word. Haha.

Kitfox88 posted:

I liked Woozie from GTASA cause he's super chill and a huge bro, but they also did a lot of 'haha he's blind get it' jokes which even at the time felt a bit eugh. i do wonder how actual blind people felt about his portrayal tho

Pathfinder 2e has a small subset of things like adventurer designed wheelchairs that can handle stairs, and be fit with sickass magical enchantments and poo poo, so that's another little thing that's pretty cool. :shobon:

I can’t speak for all blind/visually impaired people but it being Rockstar I’m not hopeful.

It’s unfortunate because there are games that cater specifically to blind people, but they’re extremely dumbed down and basic in execution. I’m lucky I have enough functional vision that I can kinda muddle through things and get by, but others aren’t so lucky. So it’s a funny situation where I bet the target demographic didn’t even get much access to the depiction in the first place.

But everyone’s got their own tolerances and patience for these kinds of things.

unattended spaghetti has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Apr 21, 2023

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Vic posted:

One emergent stereotype seems to be that if the woman is badass she's gonna be gay but the man usually isn't. Like where are the badass mother main characters / killer mansluts? Also physically strong women with average-to-no muscle mass, or the muscle being entirely in the butt. Also short hair on a woman = gay.

the answer to all of that is insecure cishet male gamedevs OP

Two '''normal''' girls macking on each other is hot, as is being flirty or outright horny for one another like it's a twelve year old's wet dream. It's completely nonthreatening in a way that masculine looking women or non-comedic gay males aren't. This poo poo isn't even new, Fear Effect 2 had it be the entire basis for its ad campaign and that was a game from 2001

I'm glad folks are happy to see representation but like... tbqh I almost feel like it's such a softball that at this point there are more female videogame characters that are confirmed lesbian or bi than there are ones that are confirmed het.

ImpAtom posted:

Ellie from The Last Of Us is very gay.

Don't forget Life is Strange, a series that I'm pretty sure seems to be entirely about a variety of disaster lesbians, in the multiple ways that phrase can be interpreted.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BurningBeard posted:

Sick. Thank you for that. I don’t want to create a massive derail here but I feel like in the last decade we’ve made some serious progress for helping minorities get representation, hearing their stories, etc etc. But I feel like disabled people have been pushed to the fringes of even that forward movement. It’s kinda disheartening, cause it feels like wait your turn. And it’s not like Imma crow about it when other people are getting a well-deserved leg up, you know?

Either way, thanks for giving a poo poo. And if you ever wanna bolt TTS onto your game and would like a tester with some poo poo vision, say the word. Haha.

Depending on how impaired your vision is, the game might be playable! One of my playtesters has severely reduced vision (relies heavily on a screen magnifier, for example) and is able to play.

I used to daydream about trying to make the game accessible to the completely blind, by e.g. adding a "sonar" system that would sweep radially about your ship and play tones to give you information on what's in your area. But it would have been a lot of work to do it properly, and I just didn't have the resources.

quote:

It’s unfortunate because there are games that cater specifically to blind people, but they’re extremely dumbed down and basic in execution. I’m lucky I have enough functional vision that I can kinda muddle through things and get by, but others aren’t so lucky. So it’s a funny situation where I bet the target demographic didn’t even get much access to the depiction in the first place.

I swear I remember hearing about one of those speedrun marathons doing a game that was designed for blind people. But I can't now find the video (well, audio I guess :v: ). It doesn't help that a "blind run" of a game means "I'm running this without having played the game before", and also there's been a bunch of speedrunners doing blindfolded runs of games as stunts, where they've learned the game well enough to play it despite lacking essential visual cues.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Depending on how impaired your vision is, the game might be playable! One of my playtesters has severely reduced vision (relies heavily on a screen magnifier, for example) and is able to play.

I used to daydream about trying to make the game accessible to the completely blind, by e.g. adding a "sonar" system that would sweep radially about your ship and play tones to give you information on what's in your area. But it would have been a lot of work to do it properly, and I just didn't have the resources.

I swear I remember hearing about one of those speedrun marathons doing a game that was designed for blind people. But I can't now find the video (well, audio I guess :v: ). It doesn't help that a "blind run" of a game means "I'm running this without having played the game before", and also there's been a bunch of speedrunners doing blindfolded runs of games as stunts, where they've learned the game well enough to play it despite lacking essential visual cues.

Yeah I'm not nuts about that phrasing lol. Inefficient and kinda crass at once. The Sekiro blindfolded run was loving virtuoso poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BurningBeard posted:

The CREO company's idea of restoring humanity being narrow and ableist is textual. The story touches on it a little but the DLC goes to great lengths to characterize the company as exploitative of people in his position, disabled and needing work. At the Official CREO Amusement Park they adveritse being able to essentially 'reenable' people through the exo-suit, via the most patronising carnival strong man act ever. And Warren's unfortunately in the crowd at the photo op.

The Surge is actually a pretty big condemnation of ableism allied with the point you're making.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Apr 21, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

credburn posted:

I really loving loved the way the two queer girls were portrayed in Dragon Quest Heroes. Throughout the game they're constantly flirting with each other, alluding to various things, and it's all very sweet. They never outright kiss or say they're queer, but every single scene they're in drips with it.

People who have played previous games in the series suggest they're not queer, though, because every really obvious queer nuance is actually a weird rear end nuance that they're both in love with the same guy who has to choose one of them, typical het hero man fantasy bullshit but if you ignore them and have not played those games, these are the queerest characters I've ever seen who were not made up of queer stereotypes.

Just curious, are you taking about Bianca/Nera from Dragon Quest V like someone else said you might be? And if so, have you actually played it, no shade intended?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

What's the difference between an exosuit and a wheelchair?

Cythereal posted:

(Kassandra from AC: Odyssey gets married to a dude and has kids no matter what you do)

It's funny how every time this topic comes up my first instinct is 'well yeah, she has to for the series to work' but then remembering they got rid of that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Byzantine posted:

What's the difference between an exosuit and a wheelchair?

That's a good question. I mean, Warren is still technically a person with disabilities - the fact that he has a way to mitigate it doesn't change that fact. I feel like the theme park DLC goes more into how this affected his choice to join CREO in the first place, too.

Fear and Hunger 2, a dark loving RPG about terrible things, has one playable character in a wheelchair. She can get knocked out of it, can't do anything while out of it (need to spend a turn to get back in), but while in it her default walk speed is faster than other characters'. But you've got to get out of it to climb stairs. It's rather interesting as a mechanic and one I've never seen in a game before.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm playing Midnight Suns yet again.

The main character is a hero that is the child of a super demon, so a lot of the story is them contending with nature versus nurture. Are they destined to be evil because of their heritage or can they forge their own path? So depending on what moves you use in combat and what dialogue you choose, you gain Light or Dark points.

It's much more nuanced than Mass Effect, though, especially when talking to your teammates.
Each one tracks how much they like you but being super nice and light is hardly the best way to get people to trust you.

Nico (a blood witch and daughter of a murder) and Magik (the former/current ruler of essentially Hell) don't appreciate it if they think you are pandering or trying to appease everyone. Captain America likes a confident leader but isn't cool with arrogance.

For a friggin Marvel game, it is very well written.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've posted it in this thread before I think, but a guy I know is deaf in one ear and had a whole wall of text about the use of ASL in Spiderman, this was the video he started with

https://twitter.com/7Spideycomics/status/1324729061290217473?t=_c17LEiTGm6kjMMNCS4zog&s=19

Screenshots because it's a lot of individual discord messages and my phone didn't want to just copy everything at once

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

I've posted it in this thread before I think, but a guy I know is deaf in one ear and had a whole wall of text about the use of ASL in Spiderman, this was the video he started with

https://twitter.com/7Spideycomics/status/1324729061290217473?t=_c17LEiTGm6kjMMNCS4zog&s=19

Screenshots because it's a lot of individual discord messages and my phone didn't want to just copy everything at once

I remember reading this when this first came out and yeah, goddamn it's really cool the amount of detail they put into that.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Spider-Man Miles Morales: There is now a reason why you can try Challenges multiple times: they are all made with holograms placed by the other Spider-Man.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

It's me, I'm the <10% vision playtester.

I run with a zoomed in screen/lower resolution on a big screen to make things bigger. And i rely heavily on the auto fire options you can put on the game. also I've tweaked the health bar colours on enemies a bit to be a lot more contrasty. The ships being relatively simple models and big blocks of colour helps a lot as well.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

AzMiLion posted:

I run with a zoomed in screen/lower resolution on a big screen to make things bigger. And i rely heavily on the auto fire options you can put on the game. also I've tweaked the health bar colours on enemies a bit to be a lot more contrasty. The ships being relatively simple models and big blocks of colour helps a lot as well.

Oh yeah, the auto fire options are a life saver for me, and the game doesn't have any audio only cues, which means I can play it without hearing it. It's great.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

AzMiLion posted:

Man I’m saying. Retro aesthetic is amazing for being easier to see. High enough contrast and the simplicity can be a strength. I’m glad there’s so much good retro poo poo out there these days.

Re: Surge, thanks for all the info on it. I liked what I played but definitely didn’t play for long enough to pick up on any subtext. Cool game though. Very unique combat.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

BurningBeard posted:

Man I’m saying. Retro aesthetic is amazing for being easier to see. High enough contrast and the simplicity can be a strength. I’m glad there’s so much good retro poo poo out there these days.

Re: Surge, thanks for all the info on it. I liked what I played but definitely didn’t play for long enough to pick up on any subtext. Cool game though. Very unique combat.

Yeah, the aesthetic is cool, I actually got started doin 3d modeling stuff on Waves of Steel, I modelled a few of the boats, released a small mod for it as well that adds playable ducks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think too many people are especially surprised because the first two games did a lot to suggest that Aloy was somewhere in the LGBTQIA+ umbrella. And having your character voiced by Ashly Burch already means there's like a 90% probability of being gay.

this is basically how i felt when i read that news

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I remember back in the 90s there was a first person not-quite-shooter, Dr Brain I think, based around puzzles where one of the protagonist options was a guy in a wheelchair, I always picked him at least for the novelty. He didn't actually play different to anyone else, even being able to jump, though his movement noises were different.

CJacobs posted:

The CREO company's idea of restoring humanity being narrow and ableist is textual. The story touches on it a little but the DLC goes to great lengths to characterize the company as exploitative of people in his position, disabled and needing work. At the Official CREO Amusement Park they adveritse being able to essentially 'reenable' people through the exo-suit, via the most patronising carnival strong man act ever. And Warren's unfortunately in the crowd at the photo op.

The Surge is actually a pretty big condemnation of ableism allied with the point you're making.

Quite a few games involving cyborgs and/or exosuits at least flirt with that, though probably not always intentionally or well. Crysis 2 has a bit where the suit is explicitly the only thing keeping the protagonist alive, and Deus Ex Human Revolution has a... rather confused message to say the least.

Actually, Yakuza 7/Like A Dragon comes to mind given one character in particular is introduced being reliant on a wheelchair, and suffice to say it doesn't need a lot of outside explanation to show that, especially in the time period depicted, Japanese society is really and unfairly awful to people with disabilities, and the game doesn't condone that in the slightest.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Apr 21, 2023

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I remember when they said the dog thing from Legacy of the Wizard was Polish and my pastor drove his MR2 into a drainage culvert. Ripped his loving head off and easily 50 people saw it. Because of a video game, it’s always been like that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SLOSifl posted:

I remember when they said the dog thing from Legacy of the Wizard was Polish and my pastor drove his MR2 into a drainage culvert. Ripped his loving head off and easily 50 people saw it. Because of a video game, it’s always been like that.

I, uh, what? :psyduck:

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I always thought it was neat that in the character creator in Saints Row 2 the gender selector was a slider.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

What is this gently caress

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
New Powerwash Sim DLC (at least on PS4), hell yeah! :dance:

It feels like an AI generated post!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

I always thought it was neat that in the character creator in Saints Row 2 the gender selector was a slider.

It is in 4 as well in the form of being able to shape the body any way you want.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

SLOSifl posted:

I will have two of whatever you're on, thanks

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

Dudes rock

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Morbidly curious as to a how a soulslike combat model would work where the player is in a wheelchair.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Apr 21, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Morbidly curious as to a how a soulslike combat model would work where the player is in a wheelchair.

Guns and jet boosters.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Just put a rollcage on the wheelchair and the dodgerolls will be exactly as realistic as they are in a normal souls-game.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It'd make the level design interesting too depending on how you treat stairs and ladders.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On a similar note, I'm surprised that no disaster/horror games have made you take a complicated and circuitous route, possibly with climbing, to get to your destination, only to find it's what's left of an accessible toilet. That could be a cute joke.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Lmao just realized Blighttown is mostly wheelchair accesible complete with platform lift. Well you'd need launch yourself off a few times.

ishikabibble posted:

the answer to all of that is insecure cishet male gamedevs OP

Two '''normal''' girls macking on each other is hot, as is being flirty or outright horny for one another like it's a twelve year old's wet dream. It's completely nonthreatening in a way that masculine looking women or non-comedic gay males aren't. This poo poo isn't even new, Fear Effect 2 had it be the entire basis for its ad campaign and that was a game from 2001

I'm glad folks are happy to see representation but like... tbqh I almost feel like it's such a softball that at this point there are more female videogame characters that are confirmed lesbian or bi than there are ones that are confirmed het.

Don't forget Life is Strange, a series that I'm pretty sure seems to be entirely about a variety of disaster lesbians, in the multiple ways that phrase can be interpreted.

Yeah exactly what I was getting at, thanks for articulating it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

Guns and jet boosters.

This is getting closer and closer to Axel from Twisted Metal.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's almost the first level of Wolfenstein 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The disability as a game mechanic has so much untapped potential too. I remember playing Prince of Persia on a grayscale monitor and the colors of poison potion and health potion were basically an indistinguishable shade of grey. I thought it's neat you have to pay extra attention to what you drink. When we got a color monitor I realized they are very brightly colored red blue green and was a little disappointed.

Now I'm imagining like someone telling a colorblind main character to not eat red berries because they are super poisonous but to them they are all the same color.