Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjN4Krg3iIE
Two more intercepted calls were recently published, caught around Feb of this year but released by GUR only now. In the first one you hear a Russian soldier talking to his wife, quite seriously, about how they're getting their asses beat in the Kreminna axis, and that his commander told him to call his relatives and tell them that they might only have two or three weeks to live. Second one is shorter and details Russian attempts to retake and demine one of the islands in the Dnipro river so they can use it as a springboard to attack Kherson again.
As before, :nms: for descriptions of casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Victis posted:

Intercept of extremely American mercenaries in Ukraine frustrated at the support they are receiving from Ukrainians. Hard to listen to

https://twitter.com/Gulli_ver_sn/status/1648696183307530240?s=20

Curses and drat, foiled again by strong Russia.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-55-blueprint-for-armageddon-series/

It's 14.99 US. But it's 25 hours long or so so it's a books worth of time.

Oh hell yes I didn't know he sold them as collected audiobooks, I've only ever listened to his stuff on Pocketcasts. This is excellent

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

War was something European powers were used to, and they hadn't been THAT big a deal in the past, so the powers that be weren't that scared of having another dust-up. This time technology and the industrialisation of nations meant that it was going to be an extremely big deal, though. The fun thing is that if people had been paying attention, they 100% would have known, because the Russo-Japanese war (and other smaller conflicts) had already shown what modern technology would mean in a war, but the racists ignored it because it was just a bunch of backwards barbarians / lesser people from faraway countries. Isn't gonna happen to us, we're smart European powers. We can handle it.

Kind of. The Russo-Japanese war convinced them that modern fortifications could be beaten if you were hardcore enough to stomach the casualties, because the Japanese did manage to eventually grind their way through Russian defenses at a horrible cost. After all, it was only about 200k casualties between the two sides in a 1.5 year war. The Franco-Prussian war had seen almost a million casualties over a mere 6 months. The European leaders thought the war would incredibly bloody but also pretty short. A million soldiers would die, but then someone would collapse and the war would have a winner and a loser. No one believed a nation could take a million casualties and then build up a completely new million man army to keep fighting anyway. But it turns out every single major nation in WW1 was capable of exactly that.

It's a sign of how ridiculous a modern nation-state is that for all the corruption and rot, Russia is still going to run out of war equipment well before it runs out of meat to throw into the grinder in Putin's pointless cruelty.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 20, 2023

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
nm

zone
Dec 6, 2016

golden bubble posted:

Kind of. The Russo-Japanese war convinced them that modern fortifications could be beaten if you were hardcore enough to stomach the casualties, because the Japanese did manage to eventually grind their way through Russian defenses at a horrible cost. After all, it was only about 200k casualties between the two sides in a 1.5 year war. The Franco-Prussian war had seen almost a million casualties over a mere 6 months. The European leaders thought the war would incredibly bloody but also pretty short. A million soldiers would die, but then someone would collapse and the war would have a winner and a loser. No one believed a nation could take a million casualties and then build up a completely new million man army to keep fighting anyway. But it turns out every single major nation in WW1 was capable of exactly that.

It's a sign of how ridiculous a modern nation-state is that for all the corruption and rot, Russia is still going to run out of war equipment well before it runs out of meat to throw into the grinder in Putin's pointless cruelty.

Terrorist Girkin said at the beginning of the year that without external help, Russia will find itself out of equipment for its land army before long. He said that they have at most, a year's worth of gas left in the tank and then they can do nothing against the Ukrainian army. And since not long after that Pooh Bear told monke to get bent, it would seem that it might indeed come to pass.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Deteriorata posted:

I seriously doubt Ukraine is going to have to invade Crimea. Once it is besieged, it's only a matter of time before the Russians abandon it voluntarily.

The isthmus works both ways. Russians aren't going to be able to attack readily out of Crimea, either. A fairly small force can plug the bottle while the rest of the Ukrainian forces focus on Donbass.

I think that so much of the Russian state's identity is banking on Crimea remaining in Russia's sphere at this point that the war goes much further than just Putin's horrendous gamble. I do not see them abandoning Crimea voluntarily at all and instead it will probably force the Russians onto a far more total war footing and make their nuclear threats even more hysterical to a point that I would be genuinely worried.

It might force them to the negotiating table though, would some kind of Crimean independence possibly be on the cards for either party as a compromise?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 20, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I keep hearing the counter offensive has begun. I posted about some proving attacks last week.

I hear about it again today in the zapo direction. A mrch to the sea of azov would spell a deathknell for the Russian supply lines to melitopol. Aswell as essentially giving Ukraine a massive sum of materials to be captured in melitopol.

It's all rain and mud until the end of the month

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidhelms570/status/1647942488873680896

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

khwarezm posted:

It might force them to the negotiating table though, would some kind of Crimean independence possibly be on the cards for either party as a compromise?

It would have to be UN-enforced Crimean independence or something similar to that, otherwise it would just be an extra step between peace, and Russia invading and annexing the place with any flimsy or more likely just manufactured reason.

This of course expecting that nothing actually changes in Russia, besides maybe Putin being replaced with someone else from the current system. If no meaningful change takes place, it would just be a stop-gag for 5-10 years before they try something else, possibly somewhere else, now that the restoration of Soviet Union/Imperial Russia is out of the bag and pretty much the agenda for the mob-ran gas station government.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

khwarezm posted:

No

Ukrainian officials have brought up joint control under the oversight of the UN as a non-war alternative though

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is this rain normal this time of year or should it be drier now?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrRd3SyL7zJ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Those glide bombs seem to be working well...

(Russian jet accidently dropped a bomb on Belgorod)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Philonius posted:

Not sure I want to trust the word 'might' there when the potential consequence is nuclear war.

:emptyquote:

HonorableTB posted:

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark
- Clark has won awards for his work on German history, and here he tackles, in great detail, the start of the First World War. His volume debates how the war began, and by refusing to blame Germany--and instead blaming all of Europe--has been accused of bias. [TB Note: This one ruffled some feathers among academics but it's worth a read anyway because I've always felt blaming Germany solely was a bunch of horse poo poo from the start]

Haven't read Sleepwalkers, but the ultimate cause of WWI is Germany wanted war (hence the blank check to Austria-Hungary, etc.), for ideological reasons (many of which they fooled themselves into thinking were rational, the belief in a darwinistic conception of interstate relations was widespread). They aren't solely to blame, but the shock of WWI and the interwar coverup of responsibility by the Weimar Republic left us with a wildly biased version of the causes of the war until relatively recently. Holger Herwig's books are a good source for this.

Only partially related, but one of Herwig's first books, Politics of Frustration (1976), is a fascinating account of how Germany tried to develop a naval strategy to fight the US between 1889 and the start of WWII, with much ensuing comedy (towing battleships across the Atlantic, seizing Provincetown, Massachusetts as a base to take Boston, etc.).

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Tai posted:

Is this rain normal this time of year or should it be drier now?

I don't know if it was normal during ww2, but the last two decades snow lasts into april in Eastern Europe pretty often

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Good sources that aren't The Guns of August (I've lifted the summaries elsewhere because I don't have time to summarize them all myself but I can vouch for these sources being great because I've used them before as references myself when writing historiographies of mobilization)

The First World War by John Keegan
- Keegan's book has become a ​modern-day classic, representing the most popular view of the Great War: a bloody and futile conflict, fought in chaos, causing the unnecessary death of millions. Three concentrations of black and white photographs and a selection of quality maps accompany a superbly written narrative that expertly guides the reader through a complex period.

1914-1918: The History of the First World War by David Stevenson
- Stevenson tackles vital elements of the war missing from more military accounts, and is a good addition to Keegan. If you only read one breakdown of the financial situation affecting Britain and France (and how the US helped before they declared war), make it the relevant chapter here.

The FIrst World War by Gerard De Groot
- Recommended by several university lecturers as the best single-volume introduction for students, this is a relatively small, and thus more easily digested volume which should be affordable. A superb overall account of events, with enough bite to keep Great War experts interested.

- Clark has won awards for his work on German history, and here he tackles, in great detail, the start of the First World War. His volume debates how the war began, and by refusing to blame Germany--and instead blaming all of Europe--has been accused of bias. [TB Note: This one ruffled some feathers among academics but it's worth a read anyway because I've always felt blaming Germany solely was a bunch of horse poo poo from the start]

Quoting for later

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1649156987957944321
https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1649165300678504448
Russian telegram channels appear to report a Ukrainian presence on the opposite bank of the Dnipro, believed to be a reconnaissance operation

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

EasilyConfused posted:

Only partially related, but one of Herwig's first books, Politics of Frustration (1976), is a fascinating account of how Germany tried to develop a naval strategy to fight the US between 1889 and the start of WWII, with much ensuing comedy (towing battleships across the Atlantic, seizing Provincetown, Massachusetts as a base to take Boston, etc.).

Is there a Dracinfel video about this?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Comstar posted:

Is there a Dracinfel video about this?

He did mention it (sensible chuckles all round), but not in a dedicated vid from what i remember.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-55-blueprint-for-armageddon-series/

Did this get published before he started going lunatic?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Samovar posted:

Did this get published before he started going lunatic?

What do you mean?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

:filez:, as well

I've supported his work quite a bit but not a huge fan when something that was free becomes very much not so

Oh my god that's a nightmare. I've lived quite a few places but never anywhere that gets like that

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Play posted:

:filez:, as well

I've supported his work quite a bit but not a huge fan when something that was free becomes very much not so

Man's gotta make a living somehow and he's good at this, barring whatever insanity was mentioned earlier. As a historian I know what level of effort and time investment goes into something like Hardcore History and I don't mind throwing him some dollarydoos for it. People forget that the content they consume costs money and time to make and if they want more of it then they should support the creators that produce it because they need to eat. An average episode of Hardcore History can take a couple hundred hours of research easily to produce, going off of my own experiences with this and producing history talks and lectures.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 21, 2023

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

HonorableTB posted:

Good sources that aren't The Guns of August (I've lifted the summaries elsewhere because I don't have time to summarize them all myself but I can vouch for these sources being great because I've used them before as references myself when writing historiographies of mobilization)

The First World War by John Keegan
- Keegan's book has become a ​modern-day classic, representing the most popular view of the Great War: a bloody and futile conflict, fought in chaos, causing the unnecessary death of millions. Three concentrations of black and white photographs and a selection of quality maps accompany a superbly written narrative that expertly guides the reader through a complex period.

1914-1918: The History of the First World War by David Stevenson
- Stevenson tackles vital elements of the war missing from more military accounts, and is a good addition to Keegan. If you only read one breakdown of the financial situation affecting Britain and France (and how the US helped before they declared war), make it the relevant chapter here.

The FIrst World War by Gerard De Groot
- Recommended by several university lecturers as the best single-volume introduction for students, this is a relatively small, and thus more easily digested volume which should be affordable. A superb overall account of events, with enough bite to keep Great War experts interested.

I'll have to check those out. I read "To End all Wars" by Adam Rothschild, and it had a initial focus on the social background leading up to the war. A big one that was mentioned was that a lot of European nations were honestly just itching for a war. For the "noble" class, it was a good way to get out and have a good time, run around shoot some people and call it a day. Throw on top some incredibly obliviousness over what modern weapons could do to people, and you had people marching in close formations against airburst artillery. But for some reason, a lot of people in the ruling class just seemed to think that didn't apply if you had a bit of can do spirit.
I'd have to go back through it to make sure my memory is on top though. Even getting the title had me remembering I used to have a B&N Nook.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How do you get airburst artillery without proximity fuses which weren't available until WW2?

Timed fuses? Seems like that would be tricky to time it right

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i've read the keegan one a few times because it isnt just readable, its enjoyable. besides informative

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Dan Carlin is great at 1.2x speed.

His WW1 series was my first gateway into a true appreciation for that time and the experiences of people who were there. It lead to reading a lot of the books on the subject that were mentioned above.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1649250772373086208
14 months into Putler's failed war and you're only just figuring out your pathetic country and army are incapable of doing the things you thought they could?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

How do you get airburst artillery without proximity fuses which weren't available until WW2?

It was and they didn't always fuse reliably but that didn't mean they weren't pretty effective when they did.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Carth Dookie posted:

Yea, but if you have a lot of guns firing constantly, you'll get there eventually. Definitely no where near as effective as the proximity fuses from WW2 though.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1649250772373086208
14 months into Putler's failed war and you're only just figuring out your pathetic country and army are incapable of doing the things you thought they could?

LMAO this Solovyov is a clown. Complains about "the west wiggling butts" :tutbutt: and then a notification goes off (at 2:25) on his iPhone.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

DiomedesGodshill posted:

LMAO this Solovyov is a clown. Complains about "the west wiggling butts" :tutbutt: and then a notification goes off (at 2:25) on his iPhone.

Soloyvov is like if Ernest from those 80s and 90s movies was a Russian propagandist.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

EasilyConfused posted:

Having contingency plans for unexpected conflicts was and is a good idea for any military force, and can look kinda weird in hindsight. My favorite is the US plans drawn up for a potential conflict with the UK as recently as the 1930s-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

quote:

The first strike with poison gas against the port city of Halifax was used to seize it, preventing the Royal Navy from using the naval base in Halifax, and cutting the undersea cable through Halifax, severing the connection between Britain and Canada.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HonorableTB posted:

What do you mean?

Well, Carlin has of late been considered to have gone off the deep end, at least in the podcast sub-forum, for having in the last few years... Oh, instead of me paraphrasing here are quotes:

Sydin posted:

His (paraphrased) stance was basically that it's easy to look back on Japanese internment as morally reprehensible, but doing so ignores the unfathomable sense of fear and paranoia among Americans after Pearl Harbor, so can we *really* so cleanly say the people who carried out and supported internment were bad?

Besides the answer being ABSO-loving-LUTELY he manages to undermine his own mealy-mouthed bullshit by making an offhand comment of "Now you could ask why we didn't also intern German-Americans and Italian-Americans", a thought if explored even a little bit reveals that the truth is that climate of fear was exploited by those in power to pursue racist policy that ultimately benefited a lot of rich white people. But instead of exploring it he just drops it immediate and goes back to his "maybe the truth is in the middle" garbage.

I'm generally able to just roll my eyes at Carlin's politics and move on, but it was such an ignorant and reprehensible take I haven't been able to pick up HH since.

buglord posted:

scrubbing through this right now. seemed like typical carlin stuff and was going to not reply because I figured maybe I didn't catch it and I'd probably get dogpiled. but then :stare: he said the holocaust had saved lots of lives and then I understood.

buglord posted:

There's the sort of calculus that was made where you can drop a few nukes on japan you can save a lot more american/japanese/civilian lives. Now apply it to the holocaust and how it being as bad as it is might have prevented potential genocides? He acknowledges that the holocaust didnt stop genocides from happening after but maybe its a silver lining by having the Big One so other genocides are less...big?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 21, 2023

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

free hubcaps posted:

Having contingency plans for unexpected conflicts was and is a good idea for any military force, and can look kinda weird in hindsight. My favorite is the US plans drawn up for a potential conflict with the UK as recently as the 1930s-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

I loving love the rainbow war plans, just a bunch of midranking interwar officers justifying their existence with real life military fanfic.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

first strike with poison gas against the port city of Halifax
Really we just wanted to pick up the spare on those privateers.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyes genocides have been less big lately.

Certainly during the soviet period

Which was after ww2

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Samovar posted:

Well, Carlin has of late been considered to have gone off the deep end, at least in the podcast sub-forum, for having in the last few years. Instead of me paraphrasing:

yikesaroo! I live in the pacific northwest, very close to the museum and memorials on bainbridge island and surrounding areas dedicated to the first victims of the japanese interment camps in ww2 and i have been there quite a few times. the internment camps were a big fuckin deal here and the communities are still recovering from it to this day (the same laws that allowed the camps allowed for white americans to take over "abandoned" japanese-american businesses in the northwest and the original owners had their legal rights to their former businesses and property nulled. Japanese-Americans here lost around $400 million in property and were economically set back irreparably as a result

edit: check this out, it's off topic for the thread but pretty interesting for this tangent: https://www.king5.com/article/features/remembering-the-long-walk-at-bainbridge-internment-memorial/281-533675208

King5 posted:

BAINBRIDGE ISLAND – As a 22-year-old, Kay Sakai Nakao was among the throng who made the long, uncertain walk to the ferry that morning 76 years ago.

The ferry Kehloken floated at the old Eagledale Ferry Dock, waiting to take Kay and 226 other Bainbridge Island residents of Japanese descent from their homes to internment camps during World War II. The date was March 30, 1942.

"We were never told where we were going or how long we were going to be gone," she said Friday. "It was puzzling. With a puzzle in our mind, we kept walking. When we leave our home, we always know where we're going. This day, we didn't know."

The old ferry dock those islanders walked as they left was eventually torn down. Over the next few months, a portion of it will be rebuilt to stand as a solemn reminder of that day and those moments in history, as part of the island's Japanese American Exclusion Memorial. The new cantilevered memorial deck will jut about 50 feet over Eagle Harbor on the old dock site.

"The really evocative part of the deck will be that there's no wood railing at the end, there'll be a wire railing," said Clarence Moriwaki, president of the Bainbridge Island Japanese American Community. "From a distance when you first see the deck, you'll notice that it's open to nothing. The first time a visitor will see this deck it looks like you're going to fall over. It's a frightening thing to think about. That's the feeling we want to evoke: a sense of danger and the unknown and where will things go."

In the months following Japan's 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, approximately 120,000 Japanese-American citizens and Japanese non-citizen residents were taken to military detention camps. Executive Order No. 9066, signed by President Franklin Roosevelt on Feb. 19, 1942, cleared the way for that process, allowing for the exclusion of "any or all persons" from designated military areas, citing the need for protection against espionage and sabotage to the war effort. Bainbridge Island was the first such exclusion area.

Sakai, now 98 years old, stood with a handful of survivors from those internment camps who still live on Bainbridge on Friday, shoveling dirt at a ceremony kicking off construction.

Once the deck is finished, "I think it'll bring back lots of memories," Sakai said.

Sakai and most of the Bainbridge Islanders removed from Kitsap County ended up at the Minidoka War Relocation Center in southern Idaho after an initial stint in the Manzanar War Relocation Center in northern California. Internees carried on with their lives there and learned to live with new realities – machine guns, scorpions and barbed wire – until the war's end in 1945.

The camps gradually closed and many internees returned home, but their memories remain.

The new deck will sit at the waterfront end of the memorial park's centerpiece, a 276-foot-long story wall – one foot for each of the Bainbridge residents who were interned.

The departure deck is the next phase in the memorial park's gradual build over the last three decades. New National Park Service signage and permanent exhibits were installed at the site and around the island ahead of Friday's event.

Down the road, an amphitheater and a 1,000-square-foot permanent visitor center are also planned for the park, Moriwaki said. Those plans are still several years out, he said, estimating they'll cost around $1 million.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 21, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Samovar posted:

Well, Carlin has of late been considered to have gone off the deep end, at least in the podcast sub-forum, for having in the last few years. Instead of me paraphrasing:

Hah. When Carlin was brought up here I initially debated whether to bring up that old thread or not, but someone else did. It kinda sucks because those sort of comments undermine the entire catalogue of his work (which I consider over all really engaging and a great jumping off point). But then you get the worlds worst take on the holocaust from someone who should clearly know better. Still really surprised that made it out to the world without nobody else on his team going “hey maybe rethink this!”

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Here’s something I found about the specific WW1 ya’ll are talking about

quote:

Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon has 7 factual errors in the first 20 minutes.
Listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon, I noticed he repeated an apocryphal anecdote, that the assassination of Franz Ferdinand hinged on a sandwich. Weeks ago, I posted this error to r/dancarlin and emailed info@dancarlin.com. On the whole, I was told it didn't matter.

I was incredulous. Didn't Carlin's introductory thesis depend on this provably false anecdote? I re-listened. And indeed, it did. Not only that, but upon a close listen with a skeptics ear, I realized the introduction is riddled with factual errors.

Here are 7 factual mistakes from the first 20 minutes of Blueprint for Armageddon I. The timecode references the episode you can download from Carlin's website.

20 Assassins

@ 9:59 “On June 28th 1914 Gavrilo Princip and about 20 other guys – this is a true conspiracy – show up in the City of Sarajevo.”
@ 12:34 “These 20 or so assassins line themselves up along this parade route.”
According to Wikipedia and every historian I've read, in Sarajevo, June 28, 1914,there were six assassins and one ringleader, not 20 or so.

Everybody Breaks Up

@ 13:49 “All the other assassins along the parade route have had their chance spoiled and everybody breaks up and goes their separate ways; the crowd dissipates.”
This is wrong twice over. Three of the six assassins, Vaso Cubrilovi, Trifko Grabez, and Gavrilo Princip, remained on the Appel Quay. Additionally, the crowd did not dissipate. As the archduke left city hall, “the crowds broke into loud cheers,” and, according to Princip, “there were too many people for comfort on the Quay” (Remak, Joachim. Sarajevo: The Story of a Political Murder. New York: Criterion, 1959. P. 135-136)

Local Magistrate’s Residence

@ 14:04 “The archduke goes to the, you know, local magistrate’s residence to, you know, lodge a complaint!”
The archduke went to Sarajevo’s city hall, not a residence. A luncheon at Governor Potiorek’s official residence was scheduled, but as Ferdinand was murdered, he couldn’t make it. Also, though Carlin infers Ferdinand went to lodge a complaint, he in fact proceeded with the planned itinerary; both the mayor and the archduke gave their scheduled speeches.

Extra Security & Franz Harrach

@ 14:44 “The local authorities are worried as you might imagine so they give him some extra security including one guy … Franz Harrach.”
Two parts of this statement are factually incorrect. One, the local authorities denied extra security. Ferdinand’s chamberlain, Baron Rumerskirch, proposed troops line the city streets. Governor Potiorek denied the request as the soldiers didn’t have proper uniforms. Rumerskirch then suggested police clear the streets. Potiorek denied that as well. Two, Count Harrach wasn’t “extra security” — Count Harrach’s was in the car before and after the first assassination attempt (King, Greg, and Sue Woolmans. The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance That Changed the World. P. 204 - 205. ).

Unpublished Route

@ 14:59 “And they speed off for the hospital. Now, no one knows where the archduke is going, now none of the people would be assassins or anything this isn’t a published route nobody knows the archduke is heading in this direction.”
In fact, Ferdinand never went off the published route; Princip murdered Ferdinand before he made a turn onto the new route. Meanwhile, Princip remained where he was supposed to be stationed, at the Latin Bridge. Here, you can see the footprints from where he fired, the intersection where Ferdinand was murdered, and the Latin Bridge adjacent.

The Sandwich

@ 15:01 “Meanwhile Princip has gone to get a sandwich.”
@ 15:49 “Out of the restaurant where he had gone to get that I guess you could say consolation sandwich to make him feel a bit better about how his bad day had been…”
Carlin even begins with an invented analogy.

@ 9:04 “Assuming Lee Harvey Oswald did kill President Kennedy, what if someone showed up right when he had the rifle … screwed up the whole assassination attempt … Oswald storms out of the Texas Book Depository angry that his well laid plans have been destroyed and he goes across town to his favorite restaurant and he goes to gets himself a bite to eat when he’s coming out of the restaurant … right in front of him within five or six feet stopped below him is John F Kennedy’s car.”
Carlin loves the serendipity, that history turned on a sandwich. However, there is no evidence Princip ever went anywhere to eat anything. The sandwich anecdote was first published 1998, in a work of fiction (Smithsonian.com).

Immortalized Now

@ 19:27 “As a way to sort of prove that the old adage that one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter is true, the spot where Princip was standing when he fired those fatal shots are immortalized now in the city of Sarajevo with a plaque and the actual footsteps in metal on the ground where the spot was.”
The footprints are not immortalized now. They were destroyed in the Siege of Sarajevo about 20 years ago. They were not recreated because in Bosnia Princip’s legacy is controversial. Also, the footprints were made of concrete, not metal.

Additional Errors

There are sloppy quotes, dubious assertions and more factual errors throughout Blueprint for Armageddon.

I sent Carlin an email listing errors, and I was told "Dan's record for accuracy is quite good" and "Corrections to the audio after release aren't possible." I replied that corrections are possible, and haven't heard anything back for a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Oh welp lol take back what I said.