Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Playoff hockey owns even though I don't understand any of the strategy or know any of the players or even have a basic comprehension of hockey rules!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcYAvvYLFI

Welcome 2 our cool thread Mr. McCauley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

happy to see the rangers up by 2 in the series going into their 3rd consecutive home game

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Adam Fox has 6 assists in 2 games, good lord.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Maple Keefes 1-0 in non-mcCauley reffed games

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Maple Keefes 1-0 in non-mcCauley reffed games

Also up 1-0 in games without Tampa's top D pairing!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/1649223705325649926

obv so much of this is execution but Ruff has made bizarre panic lineup decisions and the Rangers look incredibly more prepared

Like I tend to think NHL fans blame coaching wayyyyyy too much but Ruff is not putting his team in the best position to succeed

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 21, 2023

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Hedman has played 6 minutes of hockey this series and we split in Toronto? Still chill

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

Adam Fox has 6 assists in 2 games, good lord.

He might becme a poor man's Morgan Rielly some day.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It is appropriate that Bednar is dressed for a funeral.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Playoff hockey owns even though I don't understand any of the strategy or know any of the players or even have a basic comprehension of hockey rules!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcYAvvYLFI

Welcome to the best tournament in sports bud. your knowledge doesn't matter; the only thing that matters is the conviction with which you post, cheer, and hate

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

post, cheer, and hate

New "live, laugh, love" just dropped

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

aejix posted:

New "live, laugh, love" just dropped

Self and loathing in Las Vegas.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/1649223705325649926

obv so much of this is execution but Ruff has made bizarre panic lineup decisions and the Rangers look incredibly more prepared

Like I tend to think NHL fans blame coaching wayyyyyy too much but Ruff is not putting his team in the best position to succeed

Ruff was out of season a decade ago, it makes sense that a new era coach would completely eat his lunch now.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Welcome to the best tournament in sports bud. your knowledge doesn't matter; the only thing that matters is the conviction with which you post, cheer, and hate

I will go plus ultra, on all of it!!! Thank you my friend!

Absolutely in love with Matty Beniers and absolutely in love with Darude's "sandstorm" for a NHL playoff game in 2023.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
"Playing Mark Stone now is for him to be ready in later rounds"

You gotta actually get to the later rounds for that to work VGK

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

idk man. the devils aren't this lovely a team. they won 52 games!

the rangers are not "making" them lose their heads and forget how to exit the zone, or enter the zone, or play anything that even resembles a system. they're doing it to themselves, and lindy is directly feeding into the panic by wildly throwing poo poo at the wall and giving his most meatheaded, impulsive players way too much rope. he needs to go

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

Not that the lineup matters too much if the Devils are going to play like that, but they've been at their best, shockingly, when they have the puck so ideally you'd want to put players in the lineup who like to have it and hold on to it. I'd consider Siegenthaler and Luke Hughes for Smith/Graves, but I highly doubt they'll do that (one of them should be coming in though, most likely Siegenthaler). Boqvist should be back in for Wood. There should be real consideration to Schmid as the starter, not that Vanecek was the problem in game two but he was bad in game one and ultimately collapsed when the Rangers really took over game in two.

I dunno, I think the Rangers just plain played better that game than the Devils. Devils still don't quite know how to get their offense working effectively against what the Rangers are doing, seemed like they thought "Ok we gotta try to throw big hits now", and blew it on the PK again. I mean, I know there's a reason Kreider is good at tipping pucks and part of that is his ability to get in front of the net at the right time, but it's reallllllly reallllly hard to try to play in front of him when you have guys like Fox and Kane and Panarin feeding him pucks, rather than tying him up some way. Seeing two Devils defenders standing in front of Kreider while he's untouched and deflecting pucks in isn't a good luck

Beyond that, the Rangers are making the Devils just look a bit out of sync on offense, the Devils aren't finding the soft spots in the D well, etc.

So the great part about playoff hockey now will be whether Ruff and the team can go back and come up with a gameplan to get past what the Rangers have been doing so far. I agree considering going to Schmid might need to be on the table. One upside is that a talented goalie who doesn't have the book out on him might cause the Rangers some fits. Or...he could struggle, hard to know!

Anyways, glad Kane showed up, generally most guys seemed to do pretty well tonight. Shesterkin made some key saves when needed. Can't be displeased with first two games so far but also can't expect that it's gonna get easier.

e:

secret volcano lair posted:

idk man. the devils aren't this lovely a team. they won 52 games!

the rangers are not "making" them lose their heads and forget how to exit the zone, or enter the zone, or play anything that even resembles a system. they're doing it to themselves, and lindy is directly feeding into the panic by wildly throwing poo poo at the wall and giving his most meatheaded, impulsive players way too much rope. he needs to go

This is playoff hockey, the Rangers are definitely gameplanning and doing things that are designed to slow down the Devils and give them trouble. They're not out there just getting lucky because the Devils forgot what they're doing.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 21, 2023

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

quote:

This is playoff hockey, the Rangers are definitely gameplanning and doing things that are designed to slow down the Devils and give them trouble. They're not out there just getting lucky because the Devils forgot what they're doing.

Yes, plenty of credit to the Rangers who play calm, persistent hockey, know what to expect from the Devils, and have good special teams and goaltending

But the Devils clearly have it in their head that their solution to the Rangers knowing their game is to "play playoff hockey." As in "get physical," which has mainly translated to taking a whole bunch of stupid penalties. Jack Hughes is throwing hits for some loving reason. They are not adjusting, they are straight up melting down under the pressure

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

drat, basketball corgi has really upped his prediction game

FYI, the corgi continues to be correct:

https://twitter.com/itsmitchmarney/status/1648554468848414720?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jack Hughes is throwing hits for some loving reason.

Everybody should finish their checks in the playoffs

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

I dunno, I think the Rangers just plain played better that game than the Devils. Devils still don't quite know how to get their offense working effectively against what the Rangers are doing, seemed like they thought "Ok we gotta try to throw big hits now", and blew it on the PK again. I mean, I know there's a reason Kreider is good at tipping pucks and part of that is his ability to get in front of the net at the right time, but it's reallllllly reallllly hard to try to play in front of him when you have guys like Fox and Kane and Panarin feeding him pucks, rather than tying him up some way. Seeing two Devils defenders standing in front of Kreider while he's untouched and deflecting pucks in isn't a good luck

Well yeah, everything I posted tonight was about how bad the Devils were playing, even when they had the lead. When the Devils have had success (game 1 at 5v5 pretty much), it has been with speed and puck control, not some pseudo-physical game they haven't played all season. They need to play to their identity and dressing/overplaying ogres like Smith and Wood doesn't feed into that. It probably won't be enough because even their top players haven't been good enough, but you can still play the style (and dress a lineup) that gives you the best chance of success.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yes, plenty of credit to the Rangers who play calm, persistent hockey, know what to expect from the Devils, and have good special teams and goaltending

But the Devils clearly have it in their head that their solution to the Rangers knowing their game is to "play playoff hockey." As in "get physical," which has mainly translated to taking a whole bunch of stupid penalties. Jack Hughes is throwing hits for some loving reason. They are not adjusting, they are straight up melting down under the pressure

I think first game they didn't play like that but this game they did and yeah I agree there. You don't need to go flying around the ice throwing huge hits, especially if that's not your style of play, but it's just the keep the pressure on the other team and don't pass up a chance to finish your check. Play physical doesn't mean big hits all the time, but it takes some figuring out sometimes. Honestly for as much as his contract is Meh this is the kind of stuff where I love Goodrowe because I think he is a big help in setting that kind of tone for the Rangers

T-Bone posted:

Well yeah, everything I posted tonight was about how bad the Devils were playing, even when they had the lead. When the Devils have had success (game 1 at 5v5 pretty much), it has been with speed and puck control, not some pseudo-physical game they haven't played all season. They need to play to their identity and dressing/overplaying ogres like Smith and Wood doesn't feed into that. It probably won't be enough because even their top players haven't been good enough, but you can still play the style (and dress a lineup) that gives you the best chance of success.

Perhaps a bit of the psychological component for a young team. If they'd scored some goals in game 1 and, for the sake of argument, lost 5-4, they probably wouldn't have made a lot of changes and would have felt they could keep playing their game and win. But being frustrated and thinking "well we need to adjust" and then playing something that isn't your style isn't great. But then again Ruff is a veteran coach so you'd think he'd get it sorted but then again it's Ruff

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah definitely, and Ruff starting Smith and moving Wood up in the lineup just reinforces the things they shouldn't be doing. Their issue is execution with the puck primarily, they've been the more physical team in the series if anything and it hasn't done poo poo but get them away from what makes them successful.

Crazy to see a team win 52 games and think they need to play an entirely different game. Even crazier to have a veteran coach buying into it. Also man have their veterans been invisible. Tatar/Palat/Dougie have been awful. Playoff Tatar being real is a hell of a thing.

I posted this in the GD thread but it sure looks like things are opening up for the Rangers. I'm definitely trying to jinx them but the East is looking vulnerable with all the injuries to other contenders that are happening.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 21, 2023

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

edit wrong thread but also kraken pls

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Simplex posted:

It is appropriate that Bednar is dressed for a funeral.

good game. the Avs finally started making their lives harder with fancier zone exits and made easier plays. fun game, can’t wait to do it again in a few days

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

Yeah definitely, and Ruff starting Smith and moving Wood up in the lineup just reinforces the things they shouldn't be doing. Their issue is execution with the puck primarily, they've been the more physical team in the series if anything and it hasn't done poo poo but get them away from what makes them successful.

Crazy to see a team win 52 games and think they need to play an entirely different game. Even crazier to have a veteran coach buying into it. Also man have their veterans been invisible. Tatar/Palat/Dougie have been awful. Playoff Tatar being real is a hell of a thing.

I posted this in the GD thread but it sure looks like things are opening up for the Rangers. I'm definitely trying to jinx them but the East is looking vulnerable with all the injuries to other contenders that are happening.

I mean it’s funny because in some ways I feel like the rangers have been playing a different style game than the regular season, but i don’t think they were as tied to a certain style like the devils either

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

*** Seattle losing ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Too many good games

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi is there a goon-recommended youtube channel or effort post written resource that teaches basics of hockey and hockey strategy?

I must learn the ways of our sport

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

I mean it’s funny because in some ways I feel like the rangers have been playing a different style game than the regular season, but i don’t think they were as tied to a certain style like the devils either

I just think you’re finally getting all of the pieces playing together for an extended period of time. Kane is settling in, the first PP unit is starting to gel, and probably most important of all is Lindgren is playing games again. There was a decent chunk of that run in from preparing for Kane pre-deadline right up until pretty much the end of the season where the Rangers never really had their ideal lineup going for various reasons. I genuinely think Lindgrens impact is massive in the team though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hi is there a goon-recommended youtube channel or effort post written resource that teaches basics of hockey and hockey strategy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rj7HyzoJ4c

https://www.youtube.com/@coachscornertranscribed4168

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Lessail posted:

"Playing Mark Stone now is for him to be ready in later rounds"

You gotta actually get to the later rounds for that to work VGK

It worked for this game! Also peep Eichel's first playoff goal, happy for the guy

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1649258262406254592

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This guy’s kind of insufferable and might not be as beginner as you’re looking for but it’s a pretty good article from a couple years ago about overall tactics:

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/improving-the-condition-of-the-puck

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

This guy’s kind of insufferable and might not be as beginner as you’re looking for but it’s a pretty good article from a couple years ago about overall tactics:

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/improving-the-condition-of-the-puck

Yeah he’s got a couple of pretty good books too. Sometimes he (and a lot of analysts) overthink hockey. Most teams play the same type of thing now. It used to be that you would have pretty sizable differences in strategies/styles between countries, but since the fall of the Soviet Union, it’s harder to tell. Ovechkin has the most classic “Canadian” style of anyone in the last 30 years. Panarin and Datsyuk played a more classic Soviet game except for the steroids. Mitch Marner would fit in with the old Soviet teams but he’s Canadian as hell.

One of the things that’s core to the way USA Hockey develops players is to not really talk about systems but instead talk about “concepts”. I would generally think about that as you’re trying to learn. Mike Sullivan, coach of the Pens, helped further that and in some of his stuff, he preaches that, for example, stuff like “puck support” as a concept to learn is better than “this guy’s out of position in a box+1 defense”.

Generally speaking, you’ll have a better understanding of the game if you focus on concepts like “make our goalie comfortable and their goalie uncomfortable” rather than “this team isn’t executing their 2-1-2 properly”, since most teams and players now are intelligent enough to switch systems on the fly. Literally every single team will run a neutral zone trap if the enemy team is doing a controlled breakout.

The stuff in Jack Han’s books is good for some of the situations where the game gets more technical, like on special teams, but even then pretty much every team is doing some variant of a 1-3-1 with 4 forwards, and most teams are trying to defend it with some type of diamond shading towards who they think the most dangerous guys are.

But, again again, that is based on a concept like “don’t let Ovechkin shoot” and gearing whatever strategy towards something like that of instead of “let’s commit to a diamond”.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Avs game ruled. The crowd got super into the game when the Avs scored the first goal

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Haha I bet, hell they drat near scored another in between the 2nd goal, which was less than a minute later

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kept waiting Toronto to blow it and let the Lightning comeback and they let me down.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Bruins catching a lot of flak for playing Bergeron in Montreal on that last game; local journalists now reporting, by way of justification, that his father has cancer and was in the stands, and Bergeron wanted to play in front of him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hey everyone:

Oilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

The Devils dominated those regular season games vs the Rangers this year. They were CLEARLY the better team in those games. Going from that to whatever has been going on the last 2 games is pretty pathetic. They couldn't just get away from what they won 52 games doing. They don't even look like an over 500 team in these games.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 21, 2023