Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

the bitcoin of weed posted:

frosted flake is more of a court jester than a mascot. you could never find the character of a deranged tradcath artillery warnerd anywhere else in the world

deranged black catholic communist warnerd; his insights in how war or military or culture work are deeply interesting and insightful. He's earned his following because his takes are often very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Posting about posters, always exciting

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

:ironicat:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

When I drove around as a field tech I remember being in rich neighborhood and seeing one of the lawn care guys carrying a bag of grass clippings that looked like he was over 80.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm exciting, the losers aren't.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rectal Death Adept posted:

stupid ✔️

wrong ✖️

posts in the Ukraine War thread

Manuals never lie.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

:monocle:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Up Next:

Part 3,657 of House Prices In Pittsburgh, the most exciting program in America

You didn't ask for it and we won't stop delivering it

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
are there any houses at the bottom of Slag Mountain? i love the idea of pittsburgh's Slag Mountain and would very much like to live in a cave dug into dross and whatever other industrial waste they just shoved over the side of a hill

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

I'm exciting, the losers aren't.

ok ill bite what was exciting today for you?

i rode my bike and waved at a raven. it was cool.

Apr 7, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

ok ill bite what was exciting today for you?

i rode my bike and waved at a raven. it was cool.

I'm saving up my Excitement Points for Sunday. You'll see when I post then.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

He's earned his following because

lmao his what?!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s real but with some nuance. This guy has a good explanation of it.

https://youtu.be/0V21T98izTc

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://thetaxcollectorman.medium.com/

A good discussion on the trajectory of internet products, or how AI is mangosteen.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

she looks like she's extremely uncomfortable. like there's someone just off-screen with an AK forcing her to make these.

Hurr hurr, thread title

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BrotherJayne posted:

Hurr hurr, thread title

Thread title

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

i am harry posted:

lmao his what?!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Very embarrassing

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Thread title

Thread titl3

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

anime was right posted:

buzzfeed has a pretty good news org like 10 years ago for no loving reason, but no one cared about it because buzzfeed peddled useless top 10 lists as their primary brand so it fell to poo poo

yea it sux

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

kazmeyer posted:

It's great. They're idolizing the CEO like Musk, or more accurately, like the Q crowd did with JFK Jr.

Like, the current big theory is all circling around what a podunk company Computershare is. If you want to buy stock from them, you can't say "give me X shares," you have to say "give me X worth of GameStop" and at some point in the next two weeks they bundle up all those orders and buy a bunch of shares and so you'll get like 2.192934576 shares. Since you can't own fractionals, they have a "group plan" where shares are held that are virtually divided between the holders.

The big crusade right now is direct registering shares-- instead of letting your shares in GME be held by a broker, you have to book them-- "take them off the table" per se, get them registered in your name and held out of the float, otherwise "hedgies" can borrow them to do shorts and other nefarious stuff. What people have been doing is booking most of their shares, and leaving like 1.02356 in the plan and just moving over whole shares when they accumulate more. But someone came up with the idea that if you have any fractionals at all, that means every share you own can be lent out and is being lent out to keep GME from reaching its true stock price of one quadrillion dollars per share. The mods of /r/superstonk actually called Computershare to get confirmation that no, they don't lend out shares that are being held in your name, but then somebody-- and I'm not making this up-- posted a tweet from the GME CEO that said "are dingleberries fruit?" and that became IRONCLAD confirmation that the Computershare fractional plan was actually a tool of the hedgies and you had to get your shares out of that immediately. So now Computershare is dealing with thousands of howler monkeys demanding bespoke management of their stock purchases when this company can barely manage to manage accounts via postal mail. (They've also now dismissed the /r/superstonk mods as agents of the hedgies and now there's apparently three or four different subreddits where the diaspora of mental illness is happening.)

My brainworms are strong enough that I can see how they interpreted that tweet

I need help lol

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

spacemang_spliff posted:

My brainworms are strong enough that I can see how they interpreted that tweet

I need help lol

Oh just for context the tweet in question was from July of last year. So the CEO anticipated this discussion about fractional shares eight months before it happened.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

kazmeyer posted:

It's great. They're idolizing the CEO like Musk, or more accurately, like the Q crowd did with JFK Jr.

Like, the current big theory is all circling around what a podunk company Computershare is. If you want to buy stock from them, you can't say "give me X shares," you have to say "give me X worth of GameStop" and at some point in the next two weeks they bundle up all those orders and buy a bunch of shares and so you'll get like 2.192934576 shares. Since you can't own fractionals, they have a "group plan" where shares are held that are virtually divided between the holders.

The big crusade right now is direct registering shares-- instead of letting your shares in GME be held by a broker, you have to book them-- "take them off the table" per se, get them registered in your name and held out of the float, otherwise "hedgies" can borrow them to do shorts and other nefarious stuff. What people have been doing is booking most of their shares, and leaving like 1.02356 in the plan and just moving over whole shares when they accumulate more. But someone came up with the idea that if you have any fractionals at all, that means every share you own can be lent out and is being lent out to keep GME from reaching its true stock price of one quadrillion dollars per share. The mods of /r/superstonk actually called Computershare to get confirmation that no, they don't lend out shares that are being held in your name, but then somebody-- and I'm not making this up-- posted a tweet from the GME CEO that said "are dingleberries fruit?" and that became IRONCLAD confirmation that the Computershare fractional plan was actually a tool of the hedgies and you had to get your shares out of that immediately. So now Computershare is dealing with thousands of howler monkeys demanding bespoke management of their stock purchases when this company can barely manage to manage accounts via postal mail. (They've also now dismissed the /r/superstonk mods as agents of the hedgies and now there's apparently three or four different subreddits where the diaspora of mental illness is happening.)

quote:

In Germany, the law does not permit the issue of shares of less than one thousand marks denomination, and the magnates of German finance look with an envious eye at Britain, where the issue of one-pound shares (= 20 marks, about 10 rubles) is permitted. Siemens, one of the biggest industrialists and “financial kings” in Germany, told the Reichstag on June 7, 1900, that “the one-pound share is the basis of British imperialism.”

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

something I've thought about a lot, but haven't quite formed a cohesive concept around, is that the particular formatting of reddit (and to some extent, facebook comments), is purpose-built to resist the formation of established ground-truth

because every thread is fated to fade away over time
because comments cannot (normally) be read in a straight chronological fashion
because you can't even search the loving website properly

there is never any hope for any kind of new consensus. Someone pipes up with a bit of news, or a novel idea, or a strong argument, and you might even get people at that moment, within a span of, say, 24 hours, to agree with it, or to absorb some new information

and then it's gone

and then a week later the same thread pops up again, if it does at all, except nobody has learned anything

and it just goes on like that forever

Mr Hootington posted:

I think I posted this last week.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

kazmeyer posted:

Oh just for context the tweet in question was from July of last year. So the CEO anticipated this discussion about fractional shares eight months before it happened.

I can't wait to see how this evolves lol

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
you may be experiencing the symptoms of being aware of time

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

1. website is created which has some functionality that people like
2. the website can "sustain" itself off the small userbase it has, because the relatively small size of them makes the costs manageable
3. word of the website's functionality spreads, more people begin to use it, send it to other people, and so on
4. eventually, the size of the userbase gets big enough that the original owners have to do something to start breaking even on costs. more ads, subscriptions, sell the thing to a bigger fish planning on implementing one of the former options.
5. the userbase shrinks because the original functionality has been made crappier or a better option has appeared.

seems like some websites should just be owned by the government and run as public utilities.

Eternal September always comes, it was a thing we should have learned since 1993.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
FF posts are interesting.

Wildly different perspective to my own, but usually interesting to read, and it's mildly pleasing when one rolls around. Also people who link sources, especially weird sources, are good to have around.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cato wife is also one of the great cspam sagas

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Imagine how terrible being married to a CATO wife must be lmfao.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zodium posted:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Imagine how terrible being married to a CATO wife must be lmfao.

no

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Zodium posted:

thread title

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Why doesn't China want RMB to circulate?

Not a numberologist, but seems like if you run a trade surplus and keep your financial markets regulated it's pretty much an open question how people would get the RMBs to use instead of dollars.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I am legitimately moved by how no one responded to Hoot's bait. You guys are pretty cool sometimes :3: Doomsday thread keeps proving it's a real one. I am sorry that Hoot crumbled under the pressure of... uh... like, whatever he did. Remember when he got mad that people were being doomer in the doom thread? What a chuckle.

There's a pretty decent chance this thread doesn't need a mod beyond basic housekeeping, which given its activity is kind of amazing. Get it yall.

Even as the internet crumbles SA will stay winning. It almost brings me to tears how we held together through so much while Reddit and Imgur and a million other shitshows are just worried about where the next dollar is coming from.

I even think SA might become as popular as it once was; no one else does what we do. It's incredible and I'm tired of people talking poo poo on dead forum

Taima has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Apr 21, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
thread title ftw

hooman has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Apr 21, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

I even think SA might become as popular as it once was; no one else does what we do. It's incredible and I'm tired of people talking poo poo on dead forum
:cheers:

Though i really don't think this is gunna happen. I actually like the forums and most of my forums mockery is tongue-in-cheek typical goony self-deprecation, but forums heyday is over across the board. I'm gunna guess the median bday year of current goon is 1987-to-1989 (lets say '88) and 90th percentile could captured between 1983-1991, and this age group is aging out of interactive internet entirely. They might still be internet addicts, but they're voyeuristic lurkers instead of active participants, which is really what matters.

Even once-very-big places like Penny Arcade (which still have forums) are like ghost towns. Either people are too old to do forums and drift away (kids, work, too old to post online), or they're too young to have been around forum structure and prefer contemporary web 2.0 (3.0?) stuff with all the razzle dazzle microtransaction updoots dopamine drip systems. All the other social media sites aren't going to disappear overnight, and some other venture capital shitshow will appear to take their place when/if twitter/facebook/tumblr/reddit/imgur/myspace/twitch/nextdoor/instgram/snapchat/tiktok whatever die.

Or most likely they move to Discord, which already most people under 40 have done if they aren't part of the big social media sphere. Already a lot of the internet and particularly information, especially a lot of niche stuff, has moved to Discord channels. personally I absolutely loathe Discord for anything besides organizing co-op games of Deep Rock Galactic or Vermintide or something. I cant wait for Discord to IPO (which should be soon) and implode seeking maximum profits and turn it into poo poo (moreso than it is already)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 11:17 on Apr 21, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the last youngest person to join SA was hbag and look at how that turned out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

is pepsi ok posted:

Went to lunch at this local sub place today and had my order taken by a 10 year old.

Guess I need to start getting used to that.

Never eat there again, ez