Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It is about loving both France and Australia for the benefit of guess who. France loses a big contract, which weakens their ability to act as a independent arms supplier, while Australia has to buy some old US subs it probably can't use without US permission. In addition, Australia has to dump an ungodly sub on a whole new set of submarines that it probably doesn't really need (conventional subs would have been fine for defense).

Don't forget antagonizing their biggest trading partner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

or are they actually that fuckin' retarded that they believed the u.s. promise of the latest and greatest nuclear subs (which we can't even build for ourselves on schedule because our capacity has been so degraded by neoliberalism)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Oneiros posted:

i guess i haven't heard what aus's incentive in all this was. obviously the u.s. just wanted to gently caress france (and good, europe should be destroyed) but i dunno why aus has been playing along

i mean, other than the implication

I think the implication is enough, most of the West's financial system is tied to the US, which means the US has effective ownership of their population. The only way to avoid it is completely switching gears toward BRICS but that is far easier said than done.

The US is just going to keep on pulling poo poo like this until something finally breaks.

Oneiros posted:

or are they actually that fuckin' retarded that they believed the u.s. promise of the latest and greatest nuclear subs (which we can't even build for ourselves on schedule because our capacity has been so degraded by neoliberalism)

Admittedly, the Virginia class is probably okay for a country like the US, it just makes no sense for Australia, especially considering the ridiculous plan they agreed to.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:50 on Apr 21, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Ardennes posted:

(conventional subs would have been fine for defense).

thats the main issue right?
conventional subs are better for defending australia but cant provide support to america in a war against china
making australia both integrated into and dependent on us military strategy

Megamissen has issued a correction as of 10:56 on Apr 21, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Megamissen posted:

conventional subs are better for defending australia but cant provide support to america in a war against china

snipes at france aside, that is likely the entire issue

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

On the strategic side yes, although the US by loving around so much, and meant that Australia wont have a real replacement for the Collins class until the 2040s while they could have at least had some more modern conventional French submarines to support US operations a decade or more earlier.

The big winner as always is the American MIC.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still surprised that people think Australia is ever going to take delivery of any theoretical subs after paying up. What are they going to do, ask for a refund?

They'll pay the USA hundreds of billions to rent some US subs, with US crews, under US command. Some might call this protection money but (loud thump, silence)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oneiros posted:

I can assure you that nothing Australia does is decided by Australia.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DancingShade posted:

I'm still surprised that people think Australia is ever going to take delivery of any theoretical subs after paying up. What are they going to do, ask for a refund?

They'll pay the USA hundreds of billions to rent some US subs, with US crews, under US command. Some might call this protection money but (loud thump, silence)

That is more or less how it is going to be. I assume there will be a ceremony where an Australia flag is placed on it and then the sub immediately goes to start operating with the rest of the 7th fleet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Go look up what happened to Whitlam and you'll see why. We're a colony.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
France was going to sell Australia nuclear submarines but nuclear submarines were thought of as being politically untenable in Australia (historically Australia and New Zealand were very anti nuclear) so France was asked to modify their submarines to be diesel electric. This led to delays and cost increases, which were the supposed rationale for ditching France and going for AUKUS. It really was that dumb. The French submarines were actually being built and would have been delivered lol

Australia gave France €550m in compensation for cancelling the deal, though I suspect France are still annoyed. France’s motivation was partly to increase their Asia Pacific presence because it’s probably the most important region in the world. Also one of their largest colonies, New Caledonia, seems to be really done with their poo poo.

Incidentally, AUKUS was just randomly announced one night and was never popular (not that this matters):

https://johnmenadue.com/guardian-essential-poll-aukus-support-collapses-3-in-4-oppose/

quote:

Reflecting the diminishing public support for the AUKUS deal, a new Guardian Essential Poll has found that only one quarter of Australians support paying the $368bn price tag to acquire nuclear submarines. For decades Australians were gung ho about going to war – almost any war. Today – despite the best efforts of the Nine Media (Peter Hartcher in particular) and other media – they are now far more hesitant.

quote:

The latest Nine Newspapers Resolve survey (18 March 2023) suggested a more complex reaction. The survey was based on a longer question than researchers generally use with a long preamble throwing together the number of submarines; the cost and the size of the order. Then it asked Do you support or oppose the purchase of these submarines?

33% of the sample supported Aukus and 17% strongly supported it giving a 50% result, Liberal voters had slightly higher support but 34% of the total sample were undecided or neutral as were 31% of Labor voters, 32% of Coalition voters and 37% of other voters. Oppose or strongly oppose was 16% of the total sample, 14% of Labor voters, 11% of Coalition voters and 25% of other voters.

A Guardian Essential Poll (21/03/23) poll of 1,124 voters suggests Australians are rapidly becoming more suspicious of the Aukus deal, with just one in five voters labelling China a ‘threat to be confronted’ and only one quarter happy to pay the price tag of up to $368bn to acquire nuclear submarines.

With war with China and Aukus Australians will have plenty of opportunities to go through the three stages – apprehension, enthusiasm and then remorse – which has characterised the unfolding of Australian opinion on all our wars since Vietnam.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Oneiros posted:

lmfao i hadn't heard that the us/aus sub deal had devolved to dumping our secondhands on them

it really was just about loving france, wasn't it?

It's good for the entertainment value. Aukus sub deal exposed Macron is a little cuck that he is. I think he recalled the ambassador and sheepishly sent him back next week.

Also piss off regional power Indonesia. The best thing is the Anglo think tanks are so ignorant I haven't heard a single one of them say this will piss off Indonesia and push them toward China.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
About using the submarine "co-development" deal to destroy partner countries' military industry and thus making them completely rely on the US MIC, they have done it many times. Just off the top of my head they did it to Taiwan's own indigenous anti ship missile program. The US strong armed Taiwan into cutting their own program and greatly increase the order of Harpoon. The Harpoon was scheduled to deliver around 2020 but then they delaied it to around 2030. Alot of the same replace and delay tactic to destroy the smaller and competing MIC. I am sure they did the same to most if not all of the Japanese home grown programs. Consider Japan now can't even make subsonic missile themselves and have to spend all their increased military budgets on Tomahawks.

It's hilarious really.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

About using the submarine "co-development" deal to destroy partner countries' military industry and thus making them completely rely on the US MIC, they have done it many times. Just off the top of my head they did it to Taiwan's own indigenous anti ship missile program. The US strong armed Taiwan into cutting their own program and greatly increase the order of Harpoon. The Harpoon was scheduled to deliver around 2020 but then they delaied it to around 2030. Alot of the same replace and delay tactic to destroy the smaller and competing MIC. I am sure they did the same to most if not all of the Japanese home grown programs. Consider Japan now can't even make subsonic missile themselves and have to spend all their increased military budgets on Tomahawks.

It's hilarious really.

Everything getting made by the same small factory, run by some old geezers and a robot arm with an annual net profit of 500 billion spacebucks.

Who programs the robot arm? I don't know, some Chinese student they hired on an internship then kicked out once he was done.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's hilarious really.

those TW harpoons are $4.2M each their cheapest (lol)

even funnier all this are happening at time when SK and japan are now posting record overall trade deficits

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine what guided weapons Taiwan, home of TSMC, could have come up with if allowed to develop them domestically unhindered.

Nah lets buy some yank trash using technology from the 80s at a premium price. I'm sure it'll be fine.

No refunds!

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1649400089016950786?t=U1uYLbZEcsSTE-_ResEJ6A&s=19

lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I hate to say it, Elon was right. He made twitter funny again

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Go look up what happened to Whitlam and you'll see why. We're a colony.

the GG who dismissed Whitlam went to the US for school where he got familiar with Concepts in Action right?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Put custom titles to Western media and then removed them all is a good troll, I got to admit.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/11/declassified-documents-show-australia-assisted-cia-in-coup-against-chiles-salvador-allende

quote:

For 18 months from 1971, according to the US-based National Security Archive, Asis apparently conducted covert operations in Chile – including handling CIA-recruited Chilean assets in Santiago and filing intelligence reports to CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The documents disclose how McMahon’s successor, Labor’s Gough Whitlam elected in December 1972, less than a year later ordered the then Asis director, William Robertson, to disband the service’s Chilean operations.

But the documents, released in June to former Australian army intelligence officer and academic Clinton Fernandes, indicate Whitlam was torn between any real politik embarrassing revelations about Asis involvement in undermining fellow progressive left-winger Allende might cause, and concern Washington might view the spy agency’s retreat as anti-American or “embarrass [the] CIA”.

https://johnmenadue.com/alex-mitchell-gough-whitlams-dismissal-and-the-cia/

quote:

Canberra journalist Bill Pinwell provided the information that the CIA referred to the Governor-General as “our man Kerr” while Jonathan Kwitny of The Wall Street Journal explored Kerr’s links to the CIA fronts known as the Congress for Cultural Freedom and the Asia Foundation.

Canberra journalists uncovered the background of Marshall Green who was appointed US Ambassador after Whitlam’s re-election in 1974. Green had played a central role in the 1965 coup against President Sukarno in Indonesia in which millions of Chinese-Indonesians were slaughtered in one of history’s greatest bloodbaths.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/redstreamnet/status/1649346174892032000

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

westoids are gonna complain about certain news propaganda outlets not being labeled now lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

quick question if anyone knows: is red. the new redfish? i've been seeing them pop up and they seem very similar.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
death to amerikkka

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

tristeham posted:

death to amerikkka

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the decadent east

https://twitter.com/wwwYQ6661308579/status/1648972856498200576

the progressive west

https://twitter.com/clairebearian/status/1649510109611974656

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Apr 22, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Those kids have delicious nutritious meals, but at what cost?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

Those kids have delicious nutritious meals, but at what cost?

well fed kids with no lunch debts dont make for good child labor

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

riddle me this tankies if australia doesnt get those submarines how are they going to deal with these

https://twitter.com/CGMeifangZhang/status/1649514717814173702

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

well fed kids with no lunch debts dont make for good child labor

(adjusts victorian era top hat)

You want to starve the kids to keep them thin, that way they can squeeze between all the dangerous moving parts of the machines on the factory floor.

Plump ones get sucked into the wheels of the steam press. Nobody wants that. You have to send another kid in with a mop and bucket to clean it while still in operation because we're not turning that off and losing profits, absolutely not my good sir.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Orgetorix/status/1649552510254718979

smdh at china making a mockery of norms and good practice in regard to space exploration not like elon musk now to take a nice long sip of coffee while i check to see what spacex has been up to lately

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

riddle me this tankies if australia doesnt get those submarines how are they going to deal with these

https://twitter.com/CGMeifangZhang/status/1649514717814173702

don’t like the paint job on this, 6/10 do better china

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
opening Pandora’s launchpad is not worth the risk

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1649378446378688519

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

hah still got mine bitches, china affiliated all day baby

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/CollinSLKoh/status/1649262638030028801

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm juat going to assume this guy is dumb and wrong based solely on hi. Having the Ukrainian flag in his name

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-21/army-projects-drastically-cut-in-defence-shakeup/102254536

quote:

The federal government has confirmed its long-awaited response to the Defence Strategic Review (DSR) will include reducing the number of infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) from 450 to 129 and cancelling a planned second regiment of self-propelled Howitzers.

Under a $1 billion project first announced during the 2019 election, the construction of 30 self-propelled Howitzers and 15 ammunition resupply vehicles has begun in Geelong, but plans for a second and larger order of the South Korean artillery systems are now being scrapped.

Confirmation that Labor will reduce the IFV project to just one battalion is expected to force South Korean defence company Hanwha and rival German manufacturer Rheinmetall to resubmit their competing bids for a contract previously estimated to be worth between $18-24 billion.

Full details of the DSR, including adjustments to naval, aviation, cyber and space projects are expected to be released just before Anzac Day, and will include a faster and larger procurement of army landing craft to help bring personnel and equipment on shore.

The army will also increase spending on the American-made High Mobility Artillery Rocket (HiMARS) system and fast-track its acquisition of the deadly weapons that have been deployed with great effect by Ukraine against Russia's invading forces.

quote:

Recommendations for army projects in review:
Land Combat Vehicle System (infantry fighting vehicle) should be reduced to 129 vehicles to provide one mechanised battalion
Army Littoral Manoeuvre Vessels (landing craft medium and heavy) should be accelerated and expanded
Long-Range Fires (HiMARS) should be accelerated and expanded
Land-Based Maritime Strike should be accelerated and expanded
Protected Mobile Fires (second regiment of army self-propelled howitzers) should be cancelled

The rapid erosion of Australian military capability steams ahead.

No subs, a quarter of the original planned IFVs, just 30 artillery and everything else going to "himars" which will almost certainly be money spent on products never received by Australia. The good news is the US MIC is going to benefit at the expense of the usual suckers - Germany & South Korea who are going to lose planned sales.

May as well all go home and just run up the US flag in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

quote:

deployed with great propaganda effect by Ukraine against Russia's invading forces.