Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Great ep this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Decided I still like Colt “Boom Boom” Cabana

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022
Watching now. Wish they would’ve hyped up the Joe/Cabana match by showcasing the prior matches Cabana mentioned in his interview.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe if colt gets a more competitive match going

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taxman posted:

Riccaboni RAPPING

holy poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

itsnews posted:

Watching now. Wish they would’ve hyped up the Joe/Cabana match by showcasing the prior matches Cabana mentioned in his interview.

Colt and Joe had very little chemistry in the golden age so it is for the best.

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022

MassRafTer posted:

Colt and Joe had very little chemistry in the golden age so it is for the best.

I went to check to see if either match are even on Honor Club and they’re not. So. That’s cool.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Very fine episode, a few thoughts while watching:

- Athena's version of the powerbomb symphony was more impressive than any Wardlow's ever done (except maybe when he annihilated MJF)

- Did Dark Order get a new version of their theme?

- Really interesting ending to the Penta/Comoroto match, I don't think I've ever seen someone rendered unable to kick out specifically because their shoulders were wrecked

- Moriarty/Takeshita was incredibly good, the exact kind of match I would hope for from this version of ROH

- And yet Vikingo/Gringo was somehow even better, just a spectacular showcase for both men

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

ROHThoughts

1) The Kingdom vs Darius Martin and Action Andretti. Surprisingly grounded match. Andretti is starting to mend the gaps in his game. Never fond of handspring moves (like the Lethal Injection). I don't see what the handspring adds. The Kingdom win a murky victory and this rolls on.

Athena continues her open challenge

2) Willow Nightingale vs Robyn Renegade. The Renegades have improved a lot since their days as pandemic jobbers. She still needs to be led a bit, but Willow is more than up for the task. We get a brief bit of Twin Magic which doesn't quite work, then Willow picks up the win.

Post match Robyn and Charlette beat up Willow. OK, this is interesting.

3) Lance Archer vs Jai C. Squash. And the crowd love it. I'd watch an Archer / Claudio world title match.

4) Brian Cage vs Joey Jett. Oh hey, remember the last match? Imagine that but with a beefier jobber. Joey Jett is clearly the local hero. Actually I'm being unfair, they are giving Jett a lot here and he clearly has something.

5) Athena vs Heather Reckless. Loved Athena giving it up for the lady in the crowd with the amazing hair and dress. Heather is tiny, Athena takes the piss. Couple of good moves from Heather here. And then Athena murders her. Lovely huge power moves, then a submission.

Can we give her a credible opponent please?

6) Lee Johnson and Cole Karter vs Silver and Reynolds. Karter is better than I remember him being, which is kind of a low bar. Beaver Boys are tremendous as always.

7) Penta El Zero Miedo vs Nick Comoroto. They really have no idea what to do with the freakbeast yet. Caprice says he has "all the tools" and his career instantly dies. Fun pose off stuff at the start of the match and a fun match, where Comoroto shows off some skill.

8) Lee Moriarty vs Konosuke Takeshita. Goddamn these guys are flawless together. loving hell, Soup puts his elbow directly through Moriarty's skull here. This match deserved a more engaged crowd. Loads of close pins, lots of very even stuff. Really good match.

9) El Hijo del Vikingo vs Gringo Loco. Good Lucha Thing incoming. Smooth, fluid, violent action. I haven't seen much of Gringo before but he has some crazy poo poo at his disposal. That rope leap fake out from Vikingo was insane. Too much cool poo poo to mention it all. Vikingo wins but the real winners were the crowd. Amazing stuff.

10) Iron Savages vs... some guys I guess. Why is this match here? It's a fun power squash but we just had Lucha perfection. Flip the matches round. In any case, this was good and I'm glad to see the Savages do well.

Gringo Loco promo. This is good emotional stuff. Bit fourth wall breaking, but good poo poo.

11) Samoa Joe vs Colt Cabana. Love an old school ROH match. It's a good match, but short, and Colt didn't really get to do much more than play the hits.

Enjoyable show overall.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Very fine episode, a few thoughts while watching:

- Athena's version of the powerbomb symphony was more impressive than any Wardlow's ever done (except maybe when he annihilated MJF)

its almost like she was doing to someone who weighs like 90 lbs

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1649436572427616258

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Alaois posted:

its almost like she was doing to someone who weighs like 90 lbs

I mean Athena is also much smaller than Wardlow

(Reckless is tiny, I wanna see her next to Haruna Neko)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lamuella posted:

8) Lee Moriarty vs Konosuke Takeshita. Goddamn these guys are flawless together. loving hell, Soup puts his elbow directly through Moriarty's skull here. This match deserved a more engaged crowd. Loads of close pins, lots of very even stuff. Really good match.
This was the last match from that taping in Milwaukee so after Dark, Elevation, Dynamite, Rampage, and all the other ROH matches

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Barry Bluejeans posted:

- Did Dark Order get a new version of their theme?

A month or two ago, yeah. It's definitely an improvement but probably time for a fresh one instead of another iteration of the old one.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lamuella posted:

I don't see what the handspring adds.

Style and pizzazz

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Update: the RoH app is now officially available in Finland, both on Android AND Android TV.

The app itself isn't amazing, but it's functional. It'd be nice to see the ability to login from a computer, and of course the discoverability could be a lot better, but hey: I can watch RoH, on my nVidia Shield.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/cameraguygimmik/status/1649423864311455747?t=Pl5Jf_Yqa10oQwvdTFfZew&s=19

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Takeshita/Moriarty was very good. I think Moriarty is finally showing off some of the stuff that got him over on the indies.

Takeshita selling the arm for 70% of the match was amazing.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Colt Cabana wearing a Brewers jersey in Wisconsin when he's a known Cubs fan is such a poser-rear end bitch move, CM Punk was right about this man's character.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Athena vs. Lady Frost was awesome. I'd definitely sign Lady Frost. Not many flippy women wrestlers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
RIP Ruff. What a tornado lariat.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Big Bill making his ROH return

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Very enjoyable, Honorable episode this week.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

ROHThoughts:

1) Athena vs Lady Frost. Two women I love. Nigel on commentary. Athena in charge but not out of control dominant. gently caress me, Frost hits an astounding kick right on Athena's jaw. Athena wins but that was nice. Post match beating as usual.

Kingdom promo. Good resentful veterans shtick. Goes on a bit too long.

2) Rush and Preston Vance vs the Infantry. Nice hard hitting stuff from Bravo and Vance to start, Nigel mildly racist on commentary. Dominant LFI performance, still not sure if Vance has "it". Rush does a full Naito pose.

3) Best Friends vs Mookie Summers and Joe Ocasio. Standard squash, but Mookie has something.

4) Brian Cage vs Leon Ruffin. Ruffin is small and fun and excellent at taking a beating cage is showing off his strength. Nice desperate counter from Ruffin to the f5. Beautiful corner cutter. And then Cage decapitates him with a lariat and submits him. Good poo poo.

5) Dark Order vs Jeeves K and Sonny Kiss. Love to see Sonny Kiss on my TV. The Righteous come out during this, causing a distraction. Some fun Uno power. VSK has good strikes but Stu absorbs them. Fluid duo spots from Dark Order for the win.

6) Diamante vs Skye Blue. Evenly matched. Nearfall chain was fun. Diamante is solid as hell and Blue is getting better. Much more even match than the women's division usually gets. Blue wins and Athena comes out after the bell. I could watch that.

7) Rocky Romero vs Lee Moriarty. Incredibly even match. Lovely athletic junior heavyweight stuff. Still waiting for AEW in general to realise how good Lee Moriarty is. Match goes all around the ring. Interfere from Big Bill looks good. Moriarty picks up a solid tainted win.

Post match, Rocky is indignant and challenges Moriarty to a Pure match

8) Blake Christian vs Gringo Loco. Flippiest poo poo you ever saw, some stuff I'd never seen before. Good to see both guys return to a technical base. Incredibly hard fought and then, surprisingly, a Blake Christian win. Good stuff.

Short show this week. Good stuff, but more would be better.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Reading an ROH thread and seeing Rocky Romero on a show is giving me a really weird, old man feeling.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Lamuella posted:

ROHThoughts:

1) Athena vs Lady Frost. Two women I love. Nigel on commentary. Athena in charge but not out of control dominant. gently caress me, Frost hits an astounding kick right on Athena's jaw. Athena wins but that was nice. Post match beating as usual.

Kingdom promo. Good resentful veterans shtick. Goes on a bit too long.

2) Rush and Preston Vance vs the Infantry. Nice hard hitting stuff from Bravo and Vance to start, Nigel mildly racist on commentary. Dominant LFI performance, still not sure if Vance has "it". Rush does a full Naito pose.

3) Best Friends vs Mookie Summers and Joe Ocasio. Standard squash, but Mookie has something.

4) Brian Cage vs Leon Ruffin. Ruffin is small and fun and excellent at taking a beating cage is showing off his strength. Nice desperate counter from Ruffin to the f5. Beautiful corner cutter. And then Cage decapitates him with a lariat and submits him. Good poo poo.

5) Dark Order vs Jeeves K and Sonny Kiss. Love to see Sonny Kiss on my TV. The Righteous come out during this, causing a distraction. Some fun Uno power. VSK has good strikes but Stu absorbs them. Fluid duo spots from Dark Order for the win.

6) Diamante vs Skye Blue. Evenly matched. Nearfall chain was fun. Diamante is solid as hell and Blue is getting better. Much more even match than the women's division usually gets. Blue wins and Athena comes out after the bell. I could watch that.

7) Rocky Romero vs Lee Moriarty. Incredibly even match. Lovely athletic junior heavyweight stuff. Still waiting for AEW in general to realise how good Lee Moriarty is. Match goes all around the ring. Interfere from Big Bill looks good. Moriarty picks up a solid tainted win.

Post match, Rocky is indignant and challenges Moriarty to a Pure match

8) Blake Christian vs Gringo Loco. Flippiest poo poo you ever saw, some stuff I'd never seen before. Good to see both guys return to a technical base. Incredibly hard fought and then, surprisingly, a Blake Christian win. Good stuff.

Short show this week. Good stuff, but more would be better.

A good review. It was the first ROH outside of papes I've watched. I actually think I quite like the shorter fights that aren't full on squashes, it really allows people to work through their high spots without having to fill a lot of other time. Could be good for "lesser" wrestlers and allows people to look more competitive.

I've thought Skye Blue has progressed a lot since I first saw her a year ago, and she has, I feel like she's reached another plateau though. She needs some big moves to break into. There's only so many times I can see her do a kick at the ropes, bounce off the ropes and kick, or go from kneeling on the canvas into a backheel/swinging kick. Something to show some power from what is a tiny lady is needed. Maybe this'll be what the Athena match is?

Leon Ruffin was great. Sold the poo poo out of Cage's assault and got some very good, very fluid returns in on Cage. I was very impressed by him, especially in a Big Meaty Man versus Tiny Smol Guy fight. He really made it feel like something more.

Frost and Athena were great. And I actually felt Athena was getting a little carried away with her post-match insults. She wasn't that dominant. Perhaps a little hubris?

Best Friends were good as poo poo. No notes. And Preston Vance wasn't that bad? He got some very nice power attacks in, and his lariats looked good. I dunno though, his connectivity isn't there. Or he just looks like a smaller guy who's bulked up and can't move. Or a smaller guy who could never really move who bulked up to hide his lack of pace.

All in all, I'm impressed by ROH. A nice lightweight show to watch on a Friday morning/lunchtime/afternoon. Pity it's so expensive.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
My thoughts on this week's show pretty much echo those already posted, though I did want to mention that it's smart for them to include a classic contest after the episode for those unfamiliar with the history of ROH (like me). Hopefully it'll be a regular feature going forward.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Barry Bluejeans posted:

My thoughts on this week's show pretty much echo those already posted, though I did want to mention that it's smart for them to include a classic contest after the episode for those unfamiliar with the history of ROH (like me). Hopefully it'll be a regular feature going forward.

Watched that match with my dad and immediately segued into Kobashi v Joe.

He said "IS THAT THE GUY WHO WAS IN THAT CRAZY CHOP BATTLE?!?!"

He loved it.

Please do yourself a favor and watch that match if you haven't seen it (or even if you have). 2005, event named after the match.

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022
Tomorrow's (5/4) matches

- ROH World Television Title Match: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Christopher Daniels
- ROH Women's Championship Proving Ground Match: Athena (c) vs. Angelica Risk
- Pure Rules Match: Rocky Romero vs. Lee Moriarty
- Claudio Castagnoli vs. Robbie Eagles
- Brian Cage vs. Brock Anderson
- Angelico vs. Komander
- Robyn Renegade vs. Skye Blue
- The Kingdom & Varsity Athletes vs. Stu Grayson, Action Andretti, Darius Martin & Best Friends
- Willow Nightingale vs. Steph De Lander
- Rick Adonis vs. Preston Vance

TV title match is huge.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Angelico/Komander could be fun, I always like seeing the Renegades so love that, the Pure match is gonna gently caress I bet, the TV Title match is can't miss, but I think I'm most excited about Athena murdering Risk because I don't think she's that good and it will be very funny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Joe vs Daniels from Dragon Gate Challenge is one of those underrated ROH gems.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Claudio vs Robbie is probably gonna SLAP

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Stu seems out of place on his team but I haven't been following very closely

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022
Joe and Daniels first faced off one on one in March of 2001. Here is that match.

https://youtu.be/Riqm74sNzUQ

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Stu seems out of place on his team but I haven't been following very closely

No, he is. It feels like it should be like, him, Uno and Colt teaming with 2 of the other faces.

bartok
May 10, 2006

weekly reminder that Athena is the best

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

bartok posted:

weekly reminder that Athena is the best

Literally coming in here to post this, she rules so much

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

She is literally worth my $10 a month.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love watching the announcers talk about how great Athena is for the whole match and then get very angry at her after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I love watching the announcers talk about how great Athena is for the whole match and then get very angry at her after.

"Our world champion is very fun to watch but also an rear end in a top hat that should probably be suspended and we're not sure what to do about this!!" is a very funny situation to be in.