Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

The Devils dominated those regular season games vs the Rangers this year. They were CLEARLY the better team in those games. Going from that to whatever has been going on the last 2 games is pretty pathetic. They couldn't just get away from what they won 52 games doing. They don't even look like an over 500 team in these games.

It happens a lot to young teams in the playoffs. You'd hope that a veteran coach would be there to help counteract it instead of playing into their worst possible tendencies but here we are. It's unfortunate game 1 went how it did because they weren't that bad outside of goaltending and special teams, and they panic reacted to it in game 2 in the dumbest way.

The Rangers were also excellent in game two, there's no avoiding that. Probably the best I've seen them look all season, particularly in the 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
embarrassed to be alive today

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

corn on the cop posted:

embarrassed to be alive today

They have to at least win a few games. Can't go out like this after 112 points. At least show a loving pulse.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

It happens a lot to young teams in the playoffs. You'd hope that a veteran coach would be there to help counteract it instead of playing into their worst possible tendencies but here we are. It's unfortunate game 1 went how it did because they weren't that bad outside of goaltending and special teams, and they panic reacted to it in game 2 in the dumbest way.

The Rangers were also excellent in game two, there's no avoiding that. Probably the best I've seen them look all season, particularly in the 2nd.

So what you're saying is the Devils didn't want it enough.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I usually hate his holy mackinawwwwing but Joe Bowen owns for coining Johnny Toronto.

Regional broadcasts are so much better than the sportsnet crew :smith:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think once the Rangers clinched they took their foot off the gas. They made a pretty deep long run last season with a lot of ups and downs. It's funny because going into the playoffs a lot of us were pretty nervous especially with how well the Devils played down the stretch.

I don't think ive ever seen them flip a switch like this. Even in 94 they won the presidents trophy so there wasn't a switch to flip. Then they crushed the Islanders 6-0 in both of the first games and didn't really hit any problems until the Devils in the ECF.

It would be funny if both teams lose all their home games and the lower seed advances. I'm not gloating, even up 2-0 im still worried the Devils are going to charge back and tie this up.

I also apparently owe Gallant an apology, he's played this perfectly strategy wise. The team defense they're playing to neutralize the Devils rush is ridiculous.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

mcmagic posted:

They have to at least win a few games. Can't go out like this after 112 points. At least show a loving pulse.

It’s pretty usual for young teams to get killed the first time they make the playoffs. Check out how the 07 Penguins did.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Can you fire and replace a coach mid series? Asking for the Devils. Ruff has been out classed by Galant. Making the line up even worse from game 1 to 2 is also impressive.

Edit: ^^^ and who was that Penguins coach and how did things go for him after that?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Singh has spent the last five years trying to go viral like his BONINOBONINOBONINO call at every opportunity and it's quite annoying.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Can you fire and replace a coach mid series? Asking for the Devils. Ruff has been out classed by Galant. Making the line up even worse from game 1 to 2 is also impressive.

Edit: ^^^ and who was that Penguins coach and how did things go for him after that?

I never thought Ruff was a good coach but firing a coach off 112 points is something. There is no reason to enter this team's real window in the next few years with a lovely coach though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

It’s pretty usual for young teams to get killed the first time they make the playoffs. Check out how the 07 Penguins did.

Bruce Boudreau and the Young Guns Caps back then too.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Playoff hockey owns even though I don't understand any of the strategy or know any of the players or even have a basic comprehension of hockey rules!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcYAvvYLFI

Love seeing NFL draftniks and other SAS posters show up for some playoff hockey.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hey, after a while snorting cocaine and riding motorcycles out of helicopters loses a tiny bit of its thrill.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I never thought Ruff was a good coach but firing a coach off 112 points is something. There is no reason to enter this team's real window in the next few years with a lovely coach though.

But the fans already said sorry to Lindy

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If there were ever a GM to fire a coach mid-playoffs he lives in Long Island.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/24/sports/hockey-first-place-devils-fire-their-coach.html

https://www.nhl.com/news/julien-fired-as-devils-coach-lamoriello-takes-over/c-298535

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Devils need their Therrien to Bylsma moment. No time like the present. Bring back Disco Dan!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

But the fans already said sorry to Lindy

I'm gonna feel pretty bad for him if they fire him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Singh has spent the last five years trying to go viral like his BONINOBONINOBONINO call at every opportunity and it's quite annoying.

Singh is a hall of farmer compared to Jack Michaels.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's his last year so technically it just wouldn't be a renewal.

Which is also how Brunette lost his job (granted, as an interim), and he's the most likely guy to replace Lindy!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I'm gonna feel pretty bad for him if they fire him.

Don't worry Andrew Brunette proved himself a fantastic playoff coach last season!!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Don't worry Andrew Brunette proved himself a fantastic playoff coach last season!!

And a less than stellar golf cart driver

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1648419659459248129?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They shouldn't be able to give you a DUI if it's a loving golf cart. Pig bastard should've left him alone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Devils need their Therrien to Bylsma moment. No time like the present. Bring back Disco Dan!

Gotta lose the Finals first

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They shouldn't be able to give you a DUI if it's a loving golf cart. Pig bastard should've left him alone.

My father was killed by a drunk golf cart driver.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I mostly love that video for "I coached the Florida Panthers... You don't care."

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Calling to fire Ruff seems a little absurd to me considering their unbelievable turnaround this year.

It's 2-0, it's been embarrassing so far, but teams wake up and turn momentum in playoff series a lot. If the Devils right the ship and win Game 3 they could easily turn the tide and come back to tie the series going back to New Jersey. It's not over yet.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Aphrodite posted:

My father was killed by a drunk golf cart driver.

over how long a period?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Misanthrope posted:

over how long a period?

the back nine

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Any loser coach can drag a good roster to a quality regular season. Just look at Sheldon Keefe for example.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Kept waiting Toronto to blow it and let the Lightning comeback and they let me down.

This is how the Leafs really break their fans hearts on their way to a hilarious game 7 collapse

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Any loser coach can drag a good roster to a quality regular season. Just look at Sheldon Keefe for example.

He's generally made good decisions this year, tbh. Other than his love affair with Miles Wood and giving Blackwood too long of a leash, I don't really see any problems with the personnel he's been using and the way he's been managing his players, but that's just me.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

today I am fondly remembering Lou firing Robbie Ftorek with nine games left in 2000 and the team in first place

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

it's time... let's bring him back

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

mcmagic posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Someone needed to meet their quota that night.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

The Dirty Burger posted:

I usually hate his holy mackinawwwwing but Joe Bowen owns for coining Johnny Toronto.

Sportsnet crew are usually garbage yea.. at least for leafs games. They’re always trying to push a big (usually annoying) narrative instead of just calling the game.

I wish the tsn crew had more games and playoff hockey, I much prefer their style.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Yeah he’s got a couple of pretty good books too. Sometimes he (and a lot of analysts) overthink hockey. Most teams play the same type of thing now.

Reading Han, Bourne, and now Charron talk about tactics and breaking down plays gives me a great appreciation for the sheer amount of detail and data these guys process, and also how much that leads to them getting completely stuck up their own asses. You can definitely see shades of it in how Keefe coaches too (they’ve all been on his staff), when he gets to the playoffs he’s always making lineup tweaks and tactical changes like he’s playing rock/paper/scissors with the other coach, and the Leafs can end up looking slow and programmatic because they’re trying to execute what they did in practice instead of responding to what the other team is giving them.

And I think teams definitely have variations in their play style but there’s a ton of overlap in what they’re trying to accomplish with those tactics. Like no matter where the first forward back falls back to in transition on defence you’re trying to force the other team to give up controlled possession, but red line pressure vs. blueline pressure changes a lot about puck retrieval and counter attacking, for example.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, I think belief in a system and execution is almost always more important than the actual system.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yeah, I think belief in a system and execution is almost always more important than the actual system.

Winning the cup is 98% confidence and 2% vibes.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Winning the cup is 98% confidence and 2% vibes.

unironically talent and vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

unironically talent and vibes

It's not really even talent. The more talented team loses all the time if the less talented team is made to genuinely believe NO ONE BELIEVED IN US WE CAME HERE TO PROVE THEM WRONG