Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

i forgot what they look like so i thought it was a lex from more shows on the CW i don't watch, like the other cameos

as someone who is very burnt out on the multiverse in cape poo poo, ehhh

in retrospect, i guess it was better than showing jim lee or whatever

e: also i never read multiversity or animal man (or the invisibles)..all things i meant to check out..but didn't alan moore come up with this poo poo first in saga with the green? the red doesn't feel all that original

Grant Morrisons Animal Man run is a bit more meta than just a general comic movie multiverse, as it starts with Animal Man tapping into the "red" to see the multiverse connected but also pulling back to see he was a fictional character and talking to Morrison about his role in their universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Darko posted:

Grant Morrisons Animal Man run is a bit more meta than just a general comic movie multiverse, as it starts with Animal Man tapping into the "red" to see the multiverse connected but also pulling back to see he was a fictional character and talking to Morrison about his role in their universe.

The meta thing is the only thing I do know about their animal man run, and I do love that stuff. Flex Mentallo has a choice spot on my bookshelf right now. Animal Man is totally on my backlog

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing that didn't age well is when Buddy is wandering comic character limbo he discovers Mr Freeze who is lamenting that nobody knows who he is anymore.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

muscles like this! posted:

Lol that this week's Titans was basically speeding running Beast Boy through Grant Morrison's Animal Man run.

Even when his cameo is just stock footage, Barry STILL somehow finds a way to screw up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of wild seeing how young season 1 Rachel was in the recaps on Titans. Which makes sense seeing as she was 14! when the show started.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

It is kind of wild seeing how young season 1 Rachel was in the recaps on Titans. Which makes sense seeing as she was 14! when the show started.

i gotta assume you, like me, are just watching this to the end due to intertia/see how bad it gets...

i was almost happy for franka for getting out, but no

the mobile game thing was one of the cheesiest things they've done on this in four seasons somehow

that was a really sad one-location crossover that meant nothing and i'm sure will not be referenced in doom patrols show, we already got the niles reveal on everyone else..so i guess that was for anyone not watching doom patrol but watching this (why?)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There wouldn't be any crossover because Doom Patrol and Titans take place in separate universes. Its just kind of awkward since the Doom Patrol exists in the Titans universe.

But yeah, pretty much only watching this out of inertia. Knowing that there's actually supposed to be an ending has helped keep me going even as this season has been fairly bad.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
what do you mean this season of titans was bad

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ded posted:

what do you mean this season of titans was bad

the every character is ANGSTY thing didn't really work out with this show like I think they wanted..it made the entire thing kind of a drag and also extremely melodramatic even for comic book material, all at once.

this was also the vibe of the movies, and that fell apart too. looking at what i actually enjoyed from DC live action- doom patrol, the second suicide squad film, the harley animated series, the peacemaker show..it all has a sense of humor to it that works...i would even go so far as to call it charming, or "having heart"..hell, throw that first shazam in there too...

i will not miss titans

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 30, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Titans is so loving bad I can only get through 25% of an episode in a sitting, not really sure why I’m doing this to myself, might be self-harm

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm going to laugh if they just keep killing franka potente every week

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I would like Titans if it just pivoted into being the evil Connor show. Just everyone else can gently caress off and we get to watch Connor forging an empire.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I sorta lost focus on this season so when I'm playing this week's episode my attention is on something else entirely. It's background noise to me now. Maybe I'll pay more attention to the finale

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did laugh at Tim namedropping Dick to the criminals and they having no loving clue who he was talking about.

I think a problem with Titans as a whole is that they've never really felt like a superhero team who actually do stuff instead of just dealing with personal bullshit. Like season 2 was the only time you ever saw them going out as a team.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
the weird split of season 1 and 2 where you had everything resolve in the season 2 premiere that you expected from the s1 finale had to have put off viewers

the donna troy thing was a strange choice

same with the hawk and dove storyline

this show was a chore, but i am shocked it made it to four seasons

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zer0spunk posted:

the weird split of season 1 and 2 where you had everything resolve in the season 2 premiere that you expected from the s1 finale had to have put off viewers

That was production nonsense, not a deliberate choice by the people behind the show.

The first season also lost another episode early on that was apparently a solo outing for Starfire that they filmed in Germany. I don't know why this happened, but I remember the early reactions to the character and I can hazard a guess.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Open Source Idiom posted:

That was production nonsense, not a deliberate choice by the people behind the show.

The first season also lost another episode early on that was apparently a solo outing for Starfire that they filmed in Germany. I don't know why this happened, but I remember the early reactions to the character and I can hazard a guess.

She's probably one of the better actors on that show too tbh. I will never understand "outrage" over the casting of a comic character who is loving ORANGE. Fanboys are the worst

The season 1 promos for this show that went heavy on "gently caress batman!" are also godawful, again, the bar was so low for the DC streaming service this thing survived when it would have been axed anywhere else quickly

e: I will forever stand by my swamp thing sucked stance though. trying to ape the early bernie horror elements was a strange choice, considering most people hopped on that book when alan moore took it over. it's wild to me that it took this long to try and adapt saga of the swamp thing, but i'm still skeptical they will actually adapt it well

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 7, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol at the series finale of Titans revolving around a maguffin that had never been mentioned before. Also the one thing that the series actually had been building towards the entire time (the appearance of Trigon) is settled in like a minute.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Lol at the series finale of Titans revolving around a maguffin that had never been mentioned before. Also the one thing that the series actually had been building towards the entire time (the appearance of Trigon) is settled in like a minute.

Titans: At long last our national nightmare is over

what a wet fart of a show overall

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

The whole episode was even more of a shitshow than the rest of it.

"We're going to need some cover." [throws three smokebombs] [immediately transitions to a fight scene in that corridor with literally zero smoke, and also why would they need some cover anyway, it was a fight with six guys]

"Separate these cables from this thing!" "Okay, I am beastboy and will have tremendous difficulty pulling the cables with my regular human arms, while also not using a tool, but I'll just keep doing it that way for like 10 minutes!"

Also, I enjoyed the payoff of "the red" and Raven going into white mode being "oh, yeah, those things were totally irrelevant to everything." Chekhov's gun turned out to be made of cake, because it was all a dream.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Raven going to college is funny because I know she definitely didn't even go to high school and at no point did she have enough time to get her GED.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Did I miss something in episode 8 of Titans with the pocket dimension? The guy and his daughter were supposed to be deaf and were lip reading, but they were clearly talking to each other while not looking at each other several times in the episode. I might've missed some dialog where their deafness was magically cured, it's hard to pay attention to this terrible show.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

delightful posted:

Did I miss something in episode 8 of Titans with the pocket dimension? The guy and his daughter were supposed to be deaf and were lip reading, but they were clearly talking to each other while not looking at each other several times in the episode. I might've missed some dialog where their deafness was magically cured, it's hard to pay attention to this terrible show.

lol at you assuming there's consistency in Titans (gently caress BATMAN)

as someone who finished this season, don't

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

roomforthetuna posted:

The whole episode was even more of a shitshow than the rest of it.

"We're going to need some cover." [throws three smokebombs] [immediately transitions to a fight scene in that corridor with literally zero smoke, and also why would they need some cover anyway, it was a fight with six guys]

"Separate these cables from this thing!" "Okay, I am beastboy and will have tremendous difficulty pulling the cables with my regular human arms, while also not using a tool, but I'll just keep doing it that way for like 10 minutes!"

Also, I enjoyed the payoff of "the red" and Raven going into white mode being "oh, yeah, those things were totally irrelevant to everything." Chekhov's gun turned out to be made of cake, because it was all a dream.

The writing was absolute poo poo even for this show in this ep..this was a rewrite to give it closure? Like..really? "SHES NOT HIS PROBLEM, SHE'S HIS SOLUTION"...oh wow, good catch there guy, way to make comic book writing look intelligent

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
"gently caress batman" and Dick Grayson, in his Robin costume, stabbing a guy in the dick and balls with a pair of scissors, ensured that I will eventually finish the show no matter what. I'd be watching it right now but gently caress giving discovery and that prick zaslav even one red cent

:filez:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Professor Beetus posted:

"gently caress batman" and Dick Grayson, in his Robin costume, stabbing a guy in the dick and balls with a pair of scissors, ensured that I will eventually finish the show no matter what. I'd be watching it right now but gently caress giving discovery and that prick zaslav even one red cent

:filez:

in retrospect the best stuff in this show was whoeever did the Nightwing fight choreography..they just chose to usually have it poorly lit

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

zer0spunk posted:

in retrospect the best stuff in this show was whoeever did the Nightwing fight choreography..they just chose to usually have it poorly lit

You could write a book on how lovely the lighting/color grading/cinematography on this show is. This show should be used as a cautionary tale to anyone coming in to the industry. It's so loving ugly.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

delightful posted:

You could write a book on how lovely the lighting/color grading/cinematography on this show is. This show should be used as a cautionary tale to anyone coming in to the industry. It's so loving ugly.

DC exec croaking out one word that reverbs in the depths of a dank basement executive c-suite; "GRITTY."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man the thing that bugs me SO MUCH about live action dc is there seems to be some sort of mandate handed down from the dc gods that says "NONE SHALL BE HAPPY". It's all grimy lit edgelord bullshit.

On the EXACT OPPOSITE is the dcau Harley Quinn show. loving amazing, hilarious, and people are actually shown having fun.

Shazam was pretty good about it, and parts of black Adam were as well, but they were few and very far between.

Please note I have not watched doom patrol or titans or the newest Shazam movie. poo poo might have changed since then but from the posts here, doesn't sound like it.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Please note I have not watched doom patrol or titans or the newest Shazam movie. poo poo might have changed since then but from the posts here, doesn't sound like it.
Doom Patrol is different in that they have fun *despite* everything being poo poo for them.

Also, Legends of Tomorrow was the opposite of the general DC grimdark mandate, and managed to maintain it all the way through. (Oddly it *started* on the grimdark end and quickly moved away from it.)

(Flash got maybe half a season of being upbeat and fun before beginning the slide into everything is a threat to the world and important and also everyone is pregnant or whatever because that's dramatic too.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After reading the reactions to the back half of Titans s4, I decided not to watch. I was skipped around a few episodes and watched the last few scenes. LOL at the team ending with two members.

Did they even mention Dove or Donna this season? After season 2, the show kept getting worse. I wish Hawk, Dove, and Donna could have stayed on the show. The season 4 team/cast was less interesting in general. S4 had and immediately wasted a cool Lex.

If there is ever another live action Titans show, I hope it remembers to be fun.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 14, 2023

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

delightful posted:

Everything is. So. Blue. All the blue tint.

Watched the finale tonight and was like, "huh, that may be a cool looking Robin costume... But who can tell what color it is???"

Also makes the idiots whining about casting a black Cory even more laughable. She's orange in the comics. Anyone with basic color theory knows that blue + orange = brown. There ya go, they got it just fine.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm, I was trying to remember something and it was more movie-related

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 17, 2023

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Decided to revive this thread with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIznYOb2uI

loving lost it at the "Science is real, love is love, we don't kill people" poster.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I hope the cloud doesn't have a gag refllex!"

This is gonna be great :allears:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
They animated Snowflame, the supervillain who gets his powers by doing cocaine. I never thought I'd see the day.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

They animated Snowflame, the supervillain who gets his powers by doing cocaine. I never thought I'd see the day.

Same. He just fits so well.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

swickles posted:

Decided to revive this thread with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIznYOb2uI

loving lost it at the "Science is real, love is love, we don't kill people" poster.

I'm glad at least one good series seemed to have survived w/e it is they're doing at WBD.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm wondering about when that second half of Doom Patrol will air that will wrap up the show, I've really been missing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

First 3 episodes of HQ seem to be up. Watched the first episode, seems pretty much par for the series, which is great.