Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

just in case it wasn't clear, the point of that post wasn't that capitalism is good and needs to be saved

I was saying it's a system whose in-built failure points mean that it's largely incapable of self-preservation

i know op i was backing you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Capitalism as ideology feels a lot like a runway monster that's doing as much damage to itself as its enemies. "Smart" capitalists would absolutely be pursuing policies like UBI, UHC, job guarantees, higher tax rates on the wealthy, and all kinds of other things that could theoretically sustain the current system indefinitely. That we're instead lurching towards fascism is a pretty good indicator that there's no one really controlling this thing anymore.

ahh yes I call this

“Berserker Capitalism” tm

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

maybe we should try some other system

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

I haven’t been to a movie theater in 4 years but we wanted to take the kids to their first movie and see Mario (since it’s not woke).

What the hell happened to ticket prices lmao? It was $15 a ticket for matinee showing then a $3 “convenience fee” per ticket on top of that. By the time I was done it was $70 for 4 tickets. I went and checked the cinemark website just to compare (was ordering in fandango) and they too had an “online ticket fee” of $2 plus tax. I don’t remember paying these dumbass fees before and now you have to reserve your seats so there’s no way around paying them. It’s obscene they’re taking after Ticketmaster.

I had 4 free tickets through work so I paid $8 in the end just for the fees.

Streaming is killing the movie theater industry but it's not killing it fast enough.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Paradoxish posted:

Capitalism as ideology feels a lot like a runway monster that's doing as much damage to itself as its enemies. "Smart" capitalists would absolutely be pursuing policies like UBI, UHC, job guarantees, higher tax rates on the wealthy, and all kinds of other things that could theoretically sustain the current system indefinitely. That we're instead lurching towards fascism is a pretty good indicator that there's no one really controlling this thing anymore.

Yeah, like around the 40s. The bit that leads capitalism to collapse is that it's only metastable. The instant a leadership class comes in that believes their own BS and can't be assed to keep it on a leash, it starts spinning out, and the nature of its own reward pathways make that inevitable.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

yes, Weber et al's article I posted says first-order impulse for price increases are fossil fuels, chemicals, metals, compounded by second-order bottlenecks like wood and shipping. I wasn't suggesting that oil isn't important, just that there are many more valuables in play than are currently being discussed, with the most interesting parts of the paper being all of the publicly listed companies whose profit margins grew despite all of the above.

I think every company is also taking advantage of the situation as much as they could from the pandemic and then oil prices only pushed prices higher, which they chisel a little more off of.

The paper shortage is interesting because there was decreased supply (along with decreased timbering) during the start of the pandemic while lumber prices have generally fallen, it hasn't showed up in paper. Obviously, energy prices also rose at the same time, but it doesn't really explain the issue on its own besides there is cartelism going on.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Streaming is killing the movie theater industry but it's not killing it fast enough.

$30-35 for watching a 2 hour movie with a popcorn and soda is very good and fair compared to just downloading it and buying some pop secret

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HallelujahLee posted:

the ruling class is already lurching toward theocratic techno-feudalism with neo-neonazi characteristics

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HallelujahLee posted:

we're going to, but you're not gonna like it

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

silentsnack posted:

the ruling class is already lurching toward theocratic techno-feudalism with neo-neonazi characteristics

Paradoxish posted:

we're going to, but you're not gonna like it

slava elonus muski

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The earth's lithium belongs to the United States.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

thinking about a recent David Harvey talk where he cautions against the shortcut of simply calling things a reversion to feudalism or neofeudalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzKzTaVCdQU&t=1999s

(33:19 if the timestamp doesn't work)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1649456079128985605?s=20

quote:

The latest layoffs could affect 30% or more of Lyft's over 4,000 employees, the report said, adding the company plans to disclose the move after a board meeting next week.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

webcams for christ posted:

thinking about a recent David Harvey talk where he cautions against the shortcut of simply calling things a reversion to feudalism or neofeudalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzKzTaVCdQU&t=1999s

(33:19 if the timestamp doesn't work)

seems like a lot of words to say ["summarizing the future in a single-sentence shitpost is overly reductive and disregards the extremely important need for laborious academic analysis of all the hypothetical what-ifs"]

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

FlapYoJacks posted:

I wouldn’t have gone if we didn’t have these free tickets from work because I am not about paying $100 for tickets and popcorn when I’d rather just stay home and stream it. We want to make it a big deal for the kids and take them out to do something fun since the weather is still poo poo.

I’m totally here for the theater industry to die, I have a nice tv and sound system at home and can make good popcorn on the stove. I’d much rather watch a move on the couch in my pjs with the family.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

silentsnack posted:

seems like a lot of words to say ["summarizing the future in a single-sentence shitpost is overly reductive and disregards the extremely important need for laborious academic analysis of all the hypothetical what-ifs"]

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not about the extremely important need for rigorous material analysis of the present by calling it "hypothetical what-ifs"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Glumwheels posted:

I’m totally here for the theater industry to die, I have a nice tv and sound system at home and can make good popcorn on the stove. I’d much rather watch a move on the couch in my pjs with the family.

FlapYoJacks posted:

The hamsters are content if given pellets, fresh water, and a wheel in their cage.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

The bit that leads capitalism to collapse is that it's only metastable.

most everything that matters is only metastable. when metastable states lose stability they transition to other metastable states. The physical event that model arises from is vessel capsize.

climate is only metastable. most vessel are only metastable. it’s not the metastable part per se that means failure is coming. it’s a large negative initial stability (having a large enough negative GM) that does. erratic wildly swinging conditions are what happens when there is a small negative initial stability. so wild economic swings and wild climate swings are indicative of a small negative initial stability.

that condition of wild unpredictable sudden swings back and forth, is of course:

lolling.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

most everything that matters is only metastable. when metastable states lose stability they transition to other metastable states. The physical event that model arises from is vessel capsize.

climate is only metastable. most vessel are only metastable. it’s not the metastable part per se that means failure is coming. it’s a large negative initial stability (having a large enough negative GM) that does. erratic wildly swinging conditions are what happens when there is a small negative initial stability. so wild economic swings and wild climate swings are indicative of a small negative initial stability.

that condition of wild unpredictable sudden swings back and forth, is of course:

lolling.

that's good right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I'm crossposting this thread because it's pretty doomsday. One song under several different titles, artists, writing credits, album art, etc. was posted on Spotify a bajillion times. People suspect Spotify is trying to flood their radio stations with bullshit muzak to avoid paying real artists lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

more life expectancy/mortality data USA #1 baby!!!

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1649405074567733249

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ReubenR80027912/status/1649435000477974531?s=20

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
He's right the death numbers go way down if you take out the deaths

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

if you take out all the actual statistics and leave nothing at all were doing great

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if you remove the shuffling hopeless masses, it's all aces!

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

He's right the death numbers go way down if you take out the deaths

One weird trick, actuaries hate him!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

OUT: core/underlying/embedded inflation

IN: core/underlying/embedded life expectancy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

well, if you only look at the people that matter the USA has great statistics!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i like how half the replies are making up poo poo and excuses no wonder things are the way they are

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

OUT: core/underlying/embedded inflation

IN: core/underlying/embedded life expectancy

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The wheels are coming off everywhere. The only reason the SV types were willing to roll the dice on mass data laundering is that, well...

https://twitter.com/DavidAstinWalsh/status/1649089070193164297

It's actually Marxian decline of profit, as they matured their products before and are now turning them to poo poo trying to wring out some blood, but still.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Apr 21, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I like this analysis which implies that many young americans choose death over becoming old americans

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'm crossposting this thread because it's pretty doomsday. One song under several different titles, artists, writing credits, album art, etc. was posted on Spotify a bajillion times. People suspect Spotify is trying to flood their radio stations with bullshit muzak to avoid paying real artists lol

It probably relates to that scam that was happening a while back where people were paying a company to put them on Spotify so they could be considered "musicians" to get a blue check on Instagram.

https://www.propublica.org/article/instagram-spotify-verified-fake-musicians

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's sort of like the circulatory system, where, while you might think you want blood flowing freely throughout the body and moving at a healthy rate to keep all aspects well supplied, in fact, it is far healthier if all the blood is concentrated in the heart and doesn't move much, letting the heart enlarge to a greater size. All the unnecessary extremities are allowed to wither because they are not as important as the heart, and don't deserve the blood as much as the heart does, since the heart does all the hard work

The heart actually is important though.

I'd say they're more like a tumor. Sucking in nutrients and blood

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

I vote for barbarism

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the funny thing with buzz feed news is that they properly funded their investigative teams at the start , young guns who had something to prove and didn’t have the established relationships with the establishment/deep state to know when to back off and who to actually attack

well rip

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Paradoxish posted:

I like this analysis which implies that many young americans choose death over becoming old americans

relatable imo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

well, the things they do look awful c-c-cold

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

As someone pointed out, this has been known for years now:

https://twitter.com/freemariahcarey/status/1648654252653559811

It seems to pre-date AI bullshit but you can bet that ChansonGPT/ChantGPT are going to make things much, much worse.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

again I want to draw people's attention to the spectacular failure of Buzzfeed's SPAC, which is being overlooked due to the AI hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

eXXon posted:

As someone pointed out, this has been known for years now:

https://twitter.com/freemariahcarey/status/1648654252653559811

It seems to pre-date AI bullshit but you can bet that ChansonGPT/ChantGPT are going to make things much, much worse.

to my (music producer) ear these are even worse than the writing/art ones but also the reason that Spotify's model (pre-AI) even works is it turns out 90% of people don't really listen to the music they listen to

this ones weird though because recorded music has most of the copyright protections that people were talking about for the art stuff already, and it fuckin sucks!!! also we already hit the worst of the mechanical reproduction supply-demand inversion so selling music anyway is kind of a joke now, so who cares really?

(actually this thread would probably love Bob Lefsetz https://lefsetz.com/wordpress/ who has been doing this long before substack and is actually good at it)