Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

It’s pretty usual for young teams to get killed the first time they make the playoffs. Check out how the 07 Penguins did.

Yeah. I remember the first ten minutes of game 1 that Sens team was flying around dominating and the Pens were very much deer in the headlights.

Of course sometimes all that vaunted playoff experience doesn't do poo poo for you. See the Penguins from 2010-2015 or Toronto from 2016-now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Brock_Seguin/status/1649463412630454296

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

It's not really even talent. The more talented team loses all the time if the less talented team is made to genuinely believe NO ONE BELIEVED IN US WE CAME HERE TO PROVE THEM WRONG

well to win a Cup maybe you probably need a bit to carry you through 4 rounds, but yeah one round I agree gently caress it vibes baby

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Islanders playing Carolina evenly is not something I would have expected.

The Rangers also have some weird super power where they do better the worse their analytics are

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well that's not counting special teams where the Rangers are utterly dominating. Devils really do need to try Schmid in game 3 though.

If the Devils actually looked good and were just getting goalied or unlucky I'd certainly be posting about it, trust me. For instance, Game 1 was a lot closer than 5-1, too bad they took all the wrong lessons from it.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 21, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

The Rangers also have some weird super power where they do better the worse their analytics are

It's called above average finishing and goaltending

but really, they outplayed the Devils last night pretty much all the way and with a small sample size their xGF is brought down because they went up pretty quick in game 1 and then played a very controlled game where they weren't extending themselves offensively and concentrated on preventing good chances for the Devils

https://twitter.com/VallysView/status/1649388833526382594/photo/1

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

It's called above average finishing and goaltending

and powerplay. Their powerplay is loving amazing.

It's still funny though how consistently they give the middle finger to strong 5v5 analytics. They were 22nd in 5v5 xgoals this year but put up a 54% goals for anyways because their finishing is amazing and they've got Igor.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If every game were similar to game 1 I'd expect it to be a longer series. Game 2 was a sweep type thing though.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s funny looking at 5v5 numbers for Leafs/Bolts considering there’s been the equivalent of more than a full period of powerplay time in each game

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s funny looking at 5v5 numbers for Leafs/Bolts considering there’s been the equivalent of more than a full period of powerplay time in each game

which with those powerplays no surprise there's a billion goals

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://www.nhl.com/news/patrice-bergeron-game-3-injury-status/c-343725178?tid=343199104

quote:

BOSTON -- Patrice Bergeron will not travel with the Boston Bruins to Florida for Games 3 and 4 of the Eastern Conference First Round.

The Bruins captain missed the first two games of the opening round, including a 6-3 loss to the Panthers in Game 2 on Wednesday that tied the best-of-7 series 1-1, with an upper-body injury he sustained in the final game of the regular season on April 13.

Wow I sure hope Ullmark doesn't play bad for the rest of the series or anything, that would be terrible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ah so it's hotbrain

:rip:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

If every game were similar to game 1 I'd expect it to be a longer series. Game 2 was a sweep type thing though.

yeah, again a lucky bounce here or a missed save there and game 1 is much closer, maybe even a win, and they have confidence. That said I do think they were still frustrated by the Rangers defense, especially not getting many second chances, which fed into the "need to change things up" narrative

e: funny thing about the Rangers power play is that it struggled a lot at times this season. Kreider got unlucky on those kind of tip goals during the regular season, Zibanejad wasn't really bombing one timers as much, it seemed like they were frustrated and trying to figure out how to handle the new looks teams threw at them on the PK because they knew about the one timer and all. They were still 7th in the league but it seemed like a struggle.

but in this series they've been great at creating movement and opening lanes. I expect that if the Devils do start marking Kreider hard then the Rangers will start rotating things to get the one timer off more often

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 21, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Devils look shook and Lindy isn’t exactly a world beater coach but it’s more than that, the Rangers scouted them very well and their game plan is killing them. Regular season =/= postseason. They doing a good job clogging the neutral zone and eliminating the rush. I don’t think the Devils are used to the pressure they are getting right now. No space to do anything. Even Panarin and Kane are backchecking hard! When the Rangers are ceding possession, if it’s not on the rush the Devils can’t seem to do poo poo on the cycle. Lots of blocked shots and giveaways. Rangers are being patient and taking high danger chances. What’s really mind boggling is how the Devils can’t seem to do anything about Kreider.

Devils aren’t totally a one trick pony but relying on the rush in the playoffs can get you in trouble especially if it’s against an all star goalie.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rangers really clogging the middle of the ice in front of Shesterkin has made it very hard for the Devils to cycle and get passes through to that area, and they've still managed to outright block the point shots that you sometimes hope will bounce around and go in with that many bodies in front. It's a very playoff hockey move

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

yeah, again a lucky bounce here or a missed save there and game 1 is much closer, maybe even a win, and they have confidence. That said I do think they were still frustrated by the Rangers defense, especially not getting many second chances, which fed into the "need to change things up" narrative

e: funny thing about the Rangers power play is that it struggled a lot at times this season. Kreider got unlucky on those kind of tip goals during the regular season, Zibanejad wasn't really bombing one timers as much, it seemed like they were frustrated and trying to figure out how to handle the new looks teams threw at them on the PK because they knew about the one timer and all. They were still 7th in the league but it seemed like a struggle.

but in this series they've been great at creating movement and opening lanes. I expect that if the Devils do start marking Kreider hard then the Rangers will start rotating things to get the one timer off more often

The Rangers PP has so much movement and so many weapons it's hard to totally shut down. It's genuinely the most impressive thing about them whenever I watch them. It always looks good even when it's not scoring.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

The isles dominated game 2 5 on 5 and got rewarded with Sorokins worst game of the year, coupled with one of the flukiest goals of the year, and yes, a 6 to 0 powerplay disadvantage that I'm going to be pissed about for a long time considering Carolina scored the ot gwg off that awful no call high stick on Mayfield

The series has pretty much gone against the narrative anyone had for it where the isles were expected to get housed 5 on 5 and just clawing to keep it close with Sorokin carrying them

Being down 2-0 is obviously bad but if the actual play on ice continues this way and Sorokin gets even close to what he usually is, the series is far from over

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

WeaponX posted:

The Devils look shook and Lindy isn’t exactly a world beater coach but it’s more than that, the Rangers scouted them very well and their game plan is killing them. Regular season =/= postseason. They doing a good job clogging the neutral zone and eliminating the rush. I don’t think the Devils are used to the pressure they are getting right now. No space to do anything. Even Panarin and Kane are backchecking hard! When the Rangers are ceding possession, if it’s not on the rush the Devils can’t seem to do poo poo on the cycle. Lots of blocked shots and giveaways. Rangers are being patient and taking high danger chances. What’s really mind boggling is how the Devils can’t seem to do anything about Kreider.

Devils aren’t totally a one trick pony but relying on the rush in the playoffs can get you in trouble especially if it’s against an all star goalie.

I agree with all of this. NJ iced the puck so many times in Game 2, frustratingly trying to force the long transition pass. It's the reliance they have on the rush that concerned me most for the playoffs, because if you take away their ability to do that, they're a fairly mediocre team.

If they get behind your defense, good loving luck trying to contain them. But if you force them to the outside / make them dump and cycle, they're not going to generate much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ah so it's hotbrain

It didn't look like it. There was video on Twitter of him skating alone Monday. He had to stop and kneel to take a breather after a little bit of exertion.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Iodised QQ posted:

The isles dominated game 2 5 on 5 and got rewarded with Sorokins worst game of the year, coupled with one of the flukiest goals of the year, and yes, a 6 to 0 powerplay disadvantage that I'm going to be pissed about for a long time considering Carolina scored the ot gwg off that awful no call high stick on Mayfield

The series has pretty much gone against the narrative anyone had for it where the isles were expected to get housed 5 on 5 and just clawing to keep it close with Sorokin carrying them

Being down 2-0 is obviously bad but if the actual play on ice continues this way and Sorokin gets even close to what he usually is, the series is far from over

It sucks that they missed that call in OT, but the Islanders didn't get called earlier for breaking Teravainen's hand, which would have led to some 5 on 3 time.

I don't know how any of this came across on TV, but in the stadium it looked like the Isles were flat-out trying to hurt people. And the more penalties they racked up, the worse that got. It's like they were counting on having been penalized so much already that they wouldn't get called for poo poo like slashing Turbo.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I know the story about his dad being ill in Montreal wanting to see him play his last(?) regular season game at the Bell Centre, but it’s so hilariously cruel that after a historically good year for the B’s Bergeron gets hurt in a beyond meaningless game 82

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Winning the cup is 98% confidence and 2% vibes.

I thought it was more 95% whoever gets the fewest injuries on the way

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ah so it's hotbrain

Huh, it's been 10 years since the renowned Dr. Carlyle made his landmark finding in concussion science.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/grange-on-nhl-leafs-underselling-lupul-injury/?ref=pensionplanpuppets.com

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Dirty Burger posted:

I know the story about his dad being ill in Montreal wanting to see him play his last(?) regular season game at the Bell Centre, but it’s so hilariously cruel that after a historically good year for the B’s Bergeron gets hurt in a beyond meaningless game 82

as a wise man once said

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Crossposting from the loser thread:

THE NAUGHTY LIST

https://twitter.com/PuckPedia/status/1649244109436248064?s=20

https://www.northstarbets.ca/sports...ry-over-charges

Boston went all in, the bill comes due next year. Better hoist that cup!

Feel free to LOL at the Flyers even though this isn’t the loser thread.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Escape Goat posted:

I thought it was more 95% whoever gets the fewest injuries on the way

Yeah pretty much. But we try not to think too hard about the futility inherent in caring as much as we do about essentially random outcomes.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

On the train to see the Isles tonight. Hope it's a good game

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Here's my advanced stats for the New Jersey New York series:

New York has won both games 5-1.

No more graphs needed, thanks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

N: Bruins hosed about
V: Bruins found out

https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1649473120804192262

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just a bit of casual attempted murder, let 'em play.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mike Works posted:

Here's my advanced stats for the New Jersey New York series:

New York has won both games 5-1.

No more graphs needed, thanks.

Man I'm always pumping the Canucks tires too

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Against the bruins? Well, boys will be boys.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aphrodite posted:

Just a bit of casual attempted murder, let 'em play.

TOUGH. HOCKEY. PLAYS.

in the playoffs we all have hot brain

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the ref didn’t drop the arm three times so Frederic could Hulk Up and make the big comeback

rigged league

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

He also got kicked in the balls, that was insane

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

How has Bo Horvat been for the Isles? His offensive numbers fell off a cliff after the trade and he's pointless through three playoff games. I'm pretty surprised by that because he'd been fantastic in the playoffs the few times he'd made it with the Canucks.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is it just me or do this year's playoffs seem dirtier than usual

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
A ton of credit to the Bruins for completely shutting down the Panthers until garbage time. That said, holy loving poo poo please fire Paul Maurice right now. How do you coach a team to that performance against a team missing their 1C and 2C? I'm not expecting the Panthers to win every game 3-1 while driving 5 on 5 play to the extent they did in game 2, but they looked dead in the water after the first five minutes and Maurice did absolutely nothing to respond to it. Except to pull Lyon for no good reason. Ekblad being out for any time is a real death knell with how bad the defense is with him.

I also really wonder if Lyon is getting taken out for game 4. He's given up two truly awful goals but I can't really blame him in this game with how lovely the rest of the team was.

Regardless, the Bruins showed why they should win the cup this year. What a dominant performance without Bergeron and Krejci.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it just me or do this year's playoffs seem dirtier than usual

It's just you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, I don't think we've seen a previous playoffs with a Von Flue attempt so it's up there.